I really don't mind nitpicking, but, for $50, you can afford to fix the problems yourself, rather than complain.

If the way the LEDs are done bothers you, buy some yourself and fix them. Slider bother you? Replace it yourself.

Fact is, if it had been 100% accurate, you people would have complained anyway.
dtblack wrote:
Zander Yurami wrote: You must be new here...
Let me rephrase that. I know they are, I just think it''s a little ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? Some folks want props that are movie accurate. Others are happy with Ecto goggles made from welding goggles.

Is it ridiculous when someone offers custom machined brass legris straights? Is it ridiculous to pay $500 for a fiberglass shell instead of $100 on a vac-formed one? People seem willing to pay for accurate ecto goggle frames, going so far as to purchase real night vision goggle frames and sticking machined aluminum lenses on them, when PVC would do. And why purchase a nomex suit, when a cheap dyed Rothco will do?

Where do you draw the line?
I guess a good question would be - is this PKE a pre-production line, like when they presented the Ghostbusters figures at NYCC, to garner feedback before a final production piece was cut?
Michael Scott wrote:I think I'll go into the PKE holster business. Who's up for one? ;)

*Shoots hand up*

oo ooo oo o o o oooooooo
me memememememememememememem!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* I mean yes please I would love to purchase a quality holster for a PKE Meter feel free to zip a pm when your in buisness
This is just too amazing.. and my birthday is end of november, so it's perfect timing! I should be able to get one at the very least!
AJ Quick wrote:I have no doubt in my mind that we will be seeing $100 Ghost Traps, and $250 Proton Packs now.
That would make me so incredibly happy.. much as I'd love to get a shell and put everything together myself, I'm completely useless when it comes to working with tools or doing anything that requires a steady hand (rheumatism and arthritis since I was 13; as is I can barely use a pen/pencil, let alone want to risk taking a dremel or drill to an expensive piece of fiberglass/resin)..

And even if the PKE, pack or trap aren't 100% accurate, anything that needs changing shouldn't be toooo hard to change for most people, considering the awesome work that I see everyone doing here!
I want one. Also, I agree with Christphern. If it were 100% identical to the original screen used prop, there'd still be a host of complaints.

Hope they go into production and let us start ordering em soon!

G
I'll most definately grab atleast one of these. As per the 100$ traps and 250$ packs, it all depends on accuracy. I have a pack but its built oddly looking back at it now. Either way I would say Mattel has their hands full with this and ANY GB props they mass produce. Lets just hope they do it right and make all of us proud.
From Proton Charging:

"Quick hands on report:

All four buttons are functional. One raises wings, one descends. Holding both at the same time changes the pattern in which the lights flash (Mattel rep said that the sound changes from the first movie to the second movie which, damned if I could hear on the floor nor do I remember the sound effect being different?). The LED green read out screen cycles pretty accurately to the film.

Pretty heavy plastic, although it’s a prototype.

Pure joy. Just saying."

and

"Yes, it does have wing lights. As does it have blinking lights on the control interfaces, and the green cycling LED."
Hey, I know that guy that posted the hands-on report...

This thing is incredibly cool.

After years and years of wishing someone would mass produce the smaller props like the PKE Meter, I'll be damned if anyone is going to kill the buzz I have from seeing all of the coolness shown at Matty's booth. If some of you aren't careful, we're going to hogtie you into a DeLorean and send you back to 1998 where movie accurate figures, major manufacturer props, and pretty much anything and everything Ghostheads take for granted were just pipe dreams.

Oh, and nobody's mentioned the RGB retro figures of Winston, Ray, and Egon which are on display in the booth as well. I'm sure a ton of people will bitch about those too, but it was great to see all four in a display case.

Big Ghostbusters presence this year. Enjoy it while we can.
I think that's pretty darn awesome. I can't tell the differences but to me it looks exactly like the screen used one. I just hope that Mattel will sell it in retail stores. I'm defiantly down for one when they come out. $50 bucks is the best price you can get for one of these. I was thinking about getting an Iona shoe polisher off of ebay and building one out of that, but now that I see this I'm rethinking my plans.
I knew the nit-picking was gonna start soon. I am just surprised we dont have the same thing happening with this that we had with the Master Replica prop thread
I think its becuase this time we have a product to see. Master Replicas never even had a prototype to show and thus everything was left to speculation.

I cant wait to see this thing in action!
Smits wrote:Ooooo, I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas! :D

That's pretty freakin' impressive, gotta say. Saves me a lot of frustration trying to puzzle out making a lint brush one that works worth a damn...and as much as I love the really super accurate scratch-built ones, that's money I simply don't have. For $50, I'll be more than satisfied. (Also, it might not be so terribly fragile, meaning it will survive getting bashed about at cons and events.)
I have been trying to make a decent dollar store lint brush PKE since last Halloween, I cannot shell out $200+ to make PKE Meter, this is a immediate purchase with no after thought.
I must Have, has there been a release date announced?
only downside is that it probably wont be available for this Halloween.
GhostGuy wrote: Why is it ridiculous? Some folks want props that are movie accurate. Others are happy with Ecto goggles made from welding goggles.

Is it ridiculous when someone offers custom machined brass legris straights? Is it ridiculous to pay $500 for a fiberglass shell instead of $100 on a vac-formed one? People seem willing to pay for accurate ecto goggle frames, going so far as to purchase real night vision goggle frames and sticking machined aluminum lenses on them, when PVC would do. And why purchase a nomex suit, when a cheap dyed Rothco will do?

Where do you draw the line?
You really think the inaccuracies you pointed out are on par with comparing a Rothco suit to a Nomex? Anyone can see clear as day that the Nomex is far superior. I don't think 99% of the people here would have noticed the things you pointed out even after trying to find flaws with it.
I'm giving this one serious thumbs up. For those who want to be concerned with the details, one could always buy this and mod it on their own later. Looking it over I've got to say it's about as perfect as you could get. Imagine this came out for $200. Everyone would pipe up with "Maybe for $50 but not $200." Well folks, it's $50 and it's as close to screen accurate as you'll find for that price or any other.

Like I said, I'm giving this one serious thumbs up.

...I do however lament the loss many of us feel at knowing the money we spent on building our own is almost thrown out the window, now. By the time I got done with my PKE I think I invested $800 total. ( circa 2003. ) With each generation of builder it gets easier and easier until one day someone's knocking out kits that drop the price to $200-300 and sure enough, here comes the $50 factory made one. Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

As for those $100 traps or $250 proton packs? Don't hold your breath. I know the prop builder who was in talks with Master Replicas to make traps and packs. I know way more about that story than I'll ever tell here. I'll say that the deal damn near happened but didn't because of a cost analysis of cost/profit/accuracy. If a manufacturer can't hit all 3 then one has to suffer and usually it's accuracy. The only way to make a profit is to make it crappy and when they know they're going down that path, they just sort of write it off as economically unfeasible.
On a follow-up note regarding Rothco, Nomex and all others....

I've had real issues with many 501st-ers for their treatment of newbies and brutal adherence to standards. In the words of one Con-goer who is crashing on my couch tonight, "they suck the fun right out of it for me." Same here. I respect their accuracy and yet sometimes it goes too far and ruins it for everyone.

The cool thing about Ghostbusters is that we DO have that flexibility. Everyone's got a different suit, some are even different colors, some have different chapter specific patches, some people have even made left-handed proton packs. We are SO FLEXIBLE and I respect that. Being a Ghostbuster is vastly more laid back and open to interpretation.
Troy wrote:Oh, and nobody's mentioned the RGB retro figures of Winston, Ray, and Egon which are on display in the booth as well. I'm sure a ton of people will bitch about those too, but it was great to see all four in a display case.
I gotta see that! Anyone have pictures? Are they in their Real Ghostbusters colors?
All I want to know is, is the pke meter only going to be sold in the US or are they gonna sell it worldwide like here in the UK?
Hasbro Ghostbusters

Apparently there are rumours of another announce[…]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]