By Nighty80
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my suit to the obligatory Tru Spec 27-P, but am a bit confused by the colours on offer on Amazon in the UK.
The only seller that has medium (regular) in khaki right now is using an image that makes it look a lot lighter. [I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the Amazon links here, so won't for now]. They also offer 'brown', which is the same listing image for khaki from the Tru Spec site, but is out of stock in my size. I'm wondering if there is a difference?
I've tried searching elsewhere (including links from another, similar topic), but coming up short with availability in the UK at the moment. Medium long would probably drown me (I'm approx 5'7"), even with boots & pads, and that's the only other option I can find other than large etc.

Has anyone any experience with buying from Amazon in the UK recently, that may have come across this before please?
(I know it's a long shot!)

Thanks in advance :)
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Thanks for the advice Kingpin :) I'm guessing you rock a Nomex?
I picked up the "Portwest C812KHRM Dubai Coverall, Regular, Medium, Khaki" from Amazon for my first suit - I'm pretty pleased with it, considering it's currently only £22.41, but craving something more accurate without spending a fortune.
I'd absolutely love one of Indi Magnoli's [sp?] flight suits, but I'm not sure if anyone's seen one in the flesh yet, and the price (while I'm sure will be worth it if they're as good as they look), is way beyond my means. I could order a Tru Spec from the GBFans store (which honestly I'd prefer to do), but shipping is basically the same cost as the suit itself.

Back to Amazon UK:
As a baseline, this is the correct 'khaki' (and has the same image from the Tru Spec site):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRU-SPEC-26620 ... B000HBSBZS
- but is only available in Large.

This listing is available in khaki or 'brown':
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRU-SPEC-26530 ... B0058DG6D4
- the image for 'brown' matches the one above - and Tru Spec's site - for khaki - but out of stock of medium reg.
- the image for 'khaki' seems too light - but they do have medium reg supposedly in stock.

I'm thinking brown == khaki (and just using a pic shot under different light), but not sure why they'd have separate listings if that were the case, hence my confusion.

Other than those two, I'm struggling to find anything in/near the UK at the moment (in my size).

Thanks again to anyone able to advise on this - or perhaps any leads on UK-friendly Tru Spec suppliers?
To anyone else in the same boat: worth noting their listed European/UK distributors are currently out of date.
I suspect the Khaki was photographed with too much flash, making it look lighter than it actually is. While the Brown looks closer to the first link you posted, it still strikes me as being darker than desired.

I guess my philosophy is that should the Khaki be too light, it's possible to darken it with dye... While it wouldn't be as easy to lighten the darker brown suit.

My first suit was indeed a Nomex, though I'm not sure it'll fit me anymore.

In regards to options near you, have you checked to see if there are any ex-army shops/stalls near you? While they tend to stock the UK flightsuits with the incorrect lapel-style collar, some may have the odd American offering.
Thanks Kingpin, all good points - and I think you're right. I've been loathed to consider dying, but in hindsight and as you say, it's easier to darken than lighten.

Found a great place actually called RTI Military Surplus in Lutterworth; visited between lockdowns and picked up a working maglight (& holder) for £10, elbow pads, gloves, radio holster etc. I'd really recommend them.
Unfortunately they had a power cut, so I messed up and picked up 2x LH gloves by mistake, but they look great on my belt anyway. I did have a look at their flight suits, but I'll be honest, at the time I didn't really know exactly I was looking for.

I'd like to go back there again but with work etc it's a no-go until some time in Feb lol. But I'll have a trawl on their site, now I've found them again.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm in the UK and bought a Tru-Spec via Amazon although it was via US Amazon rather than any UK suppliers. However, their 'Khaki' is definitely the correct colour and reasonably close to the screen used suits - certainly no need for any dye.

Sizing is a little hard to work out though. I'm 6' 3" and bought a XL Long - it's the right length and loose enough without being too baggy, although slightly short in the arms, although I could say that for most clothing! I think the general consensus is to buy a size larger than you usually would.
Nighty80, Kingpin liked this
tobycj wrote: December 13th, 2020, 5:06 pm It's worth having a look on ebay for second hand Nomex flightsuits. I got mine for about £40 posted from the US, so there are bargains to be had if you're patient!
Thanks tobycj - to be honest after a quick glance I'd assumed they'd all be a lot more expensive and therefore a risk, size-wise... But having had a closer look I've seen some as low as $15 (plus shipping, taxes etc), which is about right, based on your experience... Hmmm, the rabbit hole gets deeper! Now all I've got to do is figure out my size lol
EctoLabs wrote: December 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm I'm in the UK and bought a Tru-Spec via Amazon although it was via US Amazon rather than any UK suppliers. However, their 'Khaki' is definitely the correct colour and reasonably close to the screen used suits - certainly no need for any dye.

Sizing is a little hard to work out though. I'm 6' 3" and bought a XL Long - it's the right length and loose enough without being too baggy, although slightly short in the arms, although I could say that for most clothing! I think the general consensus is to buy a size larger than you usually would.
Thanks for the confirmation on the colour - good to know, because it's been doing my head in! (And hopefully it'll help another n00b one day :))
Yeah I see what you mean about size - I double checked the sizing thread and think I'd need a bigger size anyway, which only helps availability...
Cheers mate!
Nighty80 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:59 am
tobycj wrote: December 13th, 2020, 5:06 pm It's worth having a look on ebay for second hand Nomex flightsuits. I got mine for about £40 posted from the US, so there are bargains to be had if you're patient!
Thanks tobycj - to be honest after a quick glance I'd assumed they'd all be a lot more expensive and therefore a risk, size-wise... But having had a closer look I've seen some as low as $15 (plus shipping, taxes etc), which is about right, based on your experience... Hmmm, the rabbit hole gets deeper! Now all I've got to do is figure out my size lol
I'm 6', and about 13 1/2 st / 34" waist and I've got a 44L. I got a 42L to start with and that was SNUG, so go a size up from what you'd expect. Any variation of Nomex flightsuit, CWU 27-P flightsuit, tan flightsuit etc. should turn up what you're after :)
Nighty80 liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]