It depends what you're looking for.
As a basic rundown.

The katarra8 patch is a nicely made, idealised patch but shares none of the details of the screen used patch.

The Gbfans patch is also an idealised version in terms of the overall shape and the width of the red border, but the border does have a stitch pattern that mimics that of the screen used patch.

The Calgary Ghostbusters patch is close in shape and design to the screen used patch and also uses felt for the ghost like the original instead of a canvas material that the other patches use.
However this patch has some innacurate seams on the red border that the original patch doesn't.
It's the most readily available of the screen accurate "wonky" style patches though.

Todd Cook Designs also offers a very accurate original, wonky style patch.
Even going so far as to colour match the red thread and the same stitch pattern on the red border, with no innacurate seams.
It uses the white canvas for the ghost instead of felt and is only available at certain times when a run is ongoing.

The anovos patch is also of the wonky original style but has innacurate seams, and the eyes are upside down for some reason.
They can be difficult to get due to anovos practices.

I've seen the other patch that you mentioned on etsy but I've never seen it in person to be able to say how good it is or isn't.
It looks somewhat similar to a katarra8 patch from the image on the listing.

If you check out this thread, RedSpecial and I both posted photos of these different patches. Might help you make a decision seeing them all next to each other. Red did a good job of breaking them down and their differences, now you can put an image next to that breakdown.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45665
Last edited by JWils23 on September 5th, 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the replies everyone, but man this makes things hard.

I can't say I see one that hits all the right notes. I'm not sure why I'm obsessing about this so much when I'm not that worried about everything else (that's a lie I obsessed over belt color for like 48 hours straight). And the Todd Cook and Anovos patches are sold out. So I think for the time being I should pick one that's just in the spirit of what the patch should look like. I'm thinking going with the Katarra8 one unless people think it would look noticeably wrong? I doubt anyone but me would ever notice though.

Red Special, in your picture, is the Katarra8 a recent one? The one she has on her listing looks slightly different

The eyebrows look different and the eyes look different. I like the eyebrows in your pic's version, but the eyes don't have that little divot in them. The opposite for both on her ebay picture.

The thing about the GBfans version and somewhat the Katarra8 version is that the border and the sash/bar (across the ghost) look too thick. The one in the movie looks fairly thin in comparison. The Anovos/Calgary/Todd one seem to be right on with border thickness. Katarra8 one doesn't seem to have the right stitch direction or overlapping look that the outer ring has over the inner bar. But I don't mind that so much. The Calgary one looks good but the face has some what corner looking cheeks, and a V for a chin. The Katarra8 one looks pretty good but seems to be missing the little line that overlaps the right arm (right below his right cheek). I really wish I could get a felt ghost too! OMG I really am obsessing.

Also is the Katarra8 patch the right color of red?
Welcome to the world of obsessing over every detail, its both a blessing and a curse :lol:

Red Special, in your picture, is the Katarra8 a recent one? The one she has on her listing looks slightly different
I've had that patch for quite a few years, its probably been updated a bit since.

The thing about the GBfans version and somewhat the Katarra8 version is that the border and the sash/bar (across the ghost) look too thick. The one in the movie looks fairly thin in comparison. The Anovos/Calgary/Todd one seem to be right on with border thickness. Katarra8 one doesn't seem to have the right stitch direction or overlapping look that the outer ring has over the inner bar. But I don't mind that so much. The Calgary one looks good but the face has some what corner looking cheeks, and a V for a chin. The Katarra8 one looks pretty good but seems to be missing the little line that overlaps the right arm (right below his right cheek). I really wish I could get a felt ghost too! OMG I really am obsessing.

There isnt currently a patch that ticks all the boxes for accuracy.
The GBfans and Katarra8 are essentially cleaned up, idealised versions that have the look of the logo rather than the original patch its self, which is why the ghost is shaped differently and the red border is thicker.

Bear in mind that the screen used patches weren't completely consistent and the shape of the ghost varied a bit from patch to patch.
The best advice I can give is to choose the patch that has the details that you personally prefer.
Also is the Katarra8 patch the right color of red?
To the best of my knowledge , the Todd Cook designs patch is the only one to have the red colour matched to the original colour.
Last edited by RedSpecial on September 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I've spent all day on this and have seen more pictures of the hatchapatch patches. I think he is newer (2017) to the patch making business but I gotta say I really love the stitch pattern and thickness of his red border

I realize it has sort of a ribbed look, but it has a nice separation from the bar and the circle.

His name patches not so much. I might still go with katarra8 on those.
My Katarra8 patch that I ordered about this time last year is definitely darker than the one RedSpecial posted. Mine looks just like the one in the picture you posted, it’s a deeper red color.

And as mentioned above I’m pretty sure each patch for the film was individually hand made which is why they all vary in detail. Welcome to the obsession!
So on the Calgary patch, they say it is based on Egon's. The distinguishing feature, to me, is that the ghost's right (left if you're looking at it, but right if YOU were the ghost) thumb (or top finger) is slightly pointed up. And the chin is slightly a V shape. Does anyone have a reference image or scene for this?

obiwanjabroni wrote: September 11th, 2019, 2:42 pm I actually have both the Hatchapatch and Calgary Ghostbusters patches.

Top is the Hatchapatch path that is on my Tru-spec and the Calgary GB one in underneath that will be going on a incoming Nomex suit. The Calgary GB one is their new offering with the felt ghost.
I'm glad you posted that as I just received my hatchapatch patches and was curious about the sizing. I'm pretty impressed by them. I also ordered some Calgary patches too.
I'd like to chime in here! Sean from Calgary GB
The 'material' that extends past the red actually is screen accurate.
Each patch had it cut down in different lengths though. What we were going for with that was the frayed look which you can cut down to your liking.
Glow in the Dark wrote: September 9th, 2019, 5:45 am So on the Calgary patch, they say it is based on Egon's. The distinguishing feature, to me, is that the ghost's right (left if you're looking at it, but right if YOU were the ghost) thumb (or top finger) is slightly pointed up. And the chin is slightly a V shape. Does anyone have a reference image or scene for this?

I'm actually just noticing the middle finger on that hand is fatter. Guess I can change that on next run.

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]