By Webster
So I'm not actually sure is this counts as uniform or other. I'm in the early stages of gathering my kit for multiple Holtzmann cosplays; Casual and uniform. i thought this might be a good place to keep track of progress as there will be a mix of bought and made parts.

First off I ordered some fingerless gloves but it turns out my tiny hands look very silly in them. When I did some deeper digging I found out that the closest to the ones on screen are Riparo Motorsport Half-Finger gloves, most likely in cognac. Unfortunatly not only are they not available in extra small, but they are also only available in the US. So now I'm looking into having some made specially. I'll post up the photos of the gloves I currently have and I might stick them up for sale as they're not much use to me.

Secondly my goggles and magnifing lenses should be arriving today, and I have a pair of safety glassed on order but they won't be ready until November so I'm looking for an alternative for Halloween.

Suit wise, my friends and I have decided to make our own pattern for screen accurate coveralls. Between us we have quite a history in cotume and fashion design so we should have something feasible in the next few weeks.

I'll update with photos soon and links to places where the items I find can be purchased. :love:

EDIT: New goggles have just arrived and they are perfect. Glove makers have got back to me as well and looks like they are able to make an exact replica, I am now just waiting on a price. If anyone else is interested in a set of these please let me know as I might be able to negotiate a cheaper price for multiple pairs.
By Lucifan
I am curious as to a source on the goggles and possibly gloves for down the road as I piece my gear set back together.
By Webster
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

So far this is what I've got:
Side-sheild safety glasses: https://originalstradingco.com/product/ ... escription
These are only pre-order at the moment so delivery won't be until November. They aren't cheap but they are accurate. There are cheaper options on ebay but the ones I've seen so far have either needed a lot of extra work which I would have needed to go to an optitions for, or they've not been accurate enough for me.

Yellow motorcycle goggles: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361138808350? ... EBIDX%3AIT
These are just all round awesome. They are the cheapest I've found and UK buyers get free shipping which makes it worth getting several pairs if you're going to be using them a lot. There are two styles, arc lens and angled lens. After thoroughly examining the ones on screen, it is the arc lens style that are correct.

Double Magnifying lens: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/lense ... -lens.html
These are fitted to the motorcycle goggles. This store takes a little longer to ship because they are based in Spain but the prices are good. They also sell motorcycle goggles but only with clear lenses.

Gloves: https://www.amazon.com/Riparo-Motorspor ... B00LYJUN3U
Now this is where it gets more frustraiting for me. These are the closest match I can find to the gloves. Despite a number of photos showing Holtzy in red gloves, the ones she actually wears are a cognac colour. The red appears to be from an over saturation of the photos. Now whilst these appear to be the most accurate gloves, finding them in anything smaller than a mens medium is near impossible - which is fine if you have large hands or are doing a gender-bend cosplay but not so great if you have teeny-tiny child hands like me.
By vipertv
I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Also, thanks for the links! They're very helpful since I'm planning to do the wife a reboot setup to match my classic setup.

Don't forget the Rubies "Screw U" necklace coming out soon (very soon I suppose since their website lists August 2016)...
Product Page: http://www.rubies.com/holtzmann-necklac ... movie.html
Entertainment Earth Page: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... 7wC1WUkIyT

I'm not sure of the quality. I assume plastic since it's only $6.99
Webster, MightyAni liked this
By Webster
vipertv wrote:I'm not sure of the quality. I assume plastic since it's only $6.99
Yeah it's only plastic sadly :( I'm looking for a metal option or failing that I'll cast one myself :P
vipertv, deejeerie liked this
By Webster
MonaLS wrote:Try Etsy for a Screw You necklace. They have some nice ones.
I've still not found one I like on Etsy. I'm a sucker for accurate stuff and at the moment there isn't one on there that I think is close enough :P but I'll keep my eyes peeled.
By Webster
pinder91 wrote:How about this one?
That is definitely closer to what I'm after. Where is it from if you don't mind me asking?
By Webster
pinder91 wrote:I made it. [emoji4]
Oh you sly dog :P It looks awesome. Are you planning on casting it?

On a side note, my Holtzy contacts arrived today. I am in love with them! My eyes are usually very very dark brown so finding the right blue contacts that not only covered my dark colour but also look natural has been excruciatingly difficult. I've been through so many different types and colours but these I am in love with.
Terrible photo so I will try to get a better one tomorrow in daylight.
VHoltzmann, MightyAni liked this
By Webster
Also have these on their way along with a pair of yellow lenses.
The strap I can easily replace as it's just elastic.
By VHoltzmann
This is awesome; someone as obsessed as I am with accuracy! ;-D XOXO
You know the thing about those gloves...I think those Riparo ones are the ones they used, but they may have darkened them slightly, making the color richer, not redder(?). Maybe just with some leather moisturizer (like saddle soap).
I ordered the size small and yeah, they are still a smidgen loose on my hands. But I can take them in a bit on the sewing machine thanks to the side seams.
They also make a full fingered version of the same gloves that are available in X-small...and I'm tempted to get those and cut off the fingers (like they did with the neoprene divers gloves worn with the coveralls).

After years of working with various forms of costuming for theater and events, costume departments will do some interesting things to make stuff look different...but the same, or vice versa.
Toning down colors as to not be distracting on film, and/or make them less recognizable is a HUGE thing.
Like with the 'One Of The Boys' muscle shirt Holtzy wears. I have the exact same shirt and it originally came in ivory. They dyed it an odd faded mint color, probably so it wouldn't be so much of a contrast to her other garments or too vivid on film.
Same with the orange reflective tape on the coveralls; they tinted down it slightly so it wouldn't read so hot, and it looks super dark red in the nighttime shots.

I think this is part of the fun when it comes to cosplay; the hunt.
People always ask me why I'm such a stickler for total accuracy. It's kind of like asking a climber why they climb mountains; "because it's there".
While we all know a copy of a costume can't ever be totally and completely accurate, we know that so much of what was used can indeed be had, and see it as a fun Easter-egg-hunt challenge.
:love:
Lucifan, Webster liked this
By pinder91
Webster wrote:Oh you sly dog :P It looks awesome. Are you planning on casting it?
Thanks! I'll be printing this in either the Polished Nickel Stainless or Polished Grey Stainless from Shapeways. I've done their plain Stainless Steel before and it's a little too textured for this. I should know for sure in a week or two.
VHoltzmann wrote:People always ask me why I'm such a stickler for total accuracy. It's kind of like asking a climber why they climb mountains; "because it's there".
This. So much this. :-D
Webster liked this
By Webster
Quick flyby post to show the contacts in daylight. Literally just got home from work so appologies there is no full Holtzy getup going on here.
MightyAni, VHoltzmann liked this
By brianamatopoeia
If you are like me, you've been obsessing over the suit and it's pocket placement (how are 3 out of the 4 different?!). I've scoured the internet looking through vintage flight suits, siren suits, coveralls, mechanic, military, welding, bee keeper suits, jump suits, etc and have found nothing that fits the bill. Holtzmann specifically has one cargo pocket on the left breast and then two on the outer thigh above the knee. That's in addition to the slip-n pockets that most jumpsuits or pants have. And the crossover closure? I haven't found that anywhere! I think I've determined that the suits had a button closure, as opposed to a zip closure, which is what made me think they were vintage uniforms. I'm thinking these suits were a custom job, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about it. I'm also thinking these suits are more grey then tan, like the OG busters were. What are your thoughts? Have anyone else obsessed and researched this? It's driving me nuts!
By Webster
pinder91 wrote:Thanks! I'll be printing this in either the Polished Nickel Stainless or Polished Grey Stainless from Shapeways. I've done their plain Stainless Steel before and it's a little too textured for this. I should know for sure in a week or two.
Do you have the dimensions? Blast me a link once it's up I'd love to take a peak :)
VHoltzmann wrote:This is awesome; someone as obsessed as I am with accuracy! ;-D XOXO
Sometimes to a fault lol. I can easily get obsessed with things being as accurate as possible - which is partially why I've had to wait till now to start my GB stuff: I simply haven't had the funds to support what I want.
By Webster
brianamatopoeia wrote:If you are like me, you've been obsessing over the suit and it's pocket placement (how are 3 out of the 4 different?!). I've scoured the internet looking through vintage flight suits, siren suits, coveralls, mechanic, military, welding, bee keeper suits, jump suits, etc and have found nothing that fits the bill. Holtzmann specifically has one cargo pocket on the left breast and then two on the outer thigh above the knee. That's in addition to the slip-n pockets that most jumpsuits or pants have. And the crossover closure? I haven't found that anywhere! I think I've determined that the suits had a button closure, as opposed to a zip closure, which is what made me think they were vintage uniforms. I'm thinking these suits were a custom job, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about it. I'm also thinking these suits are more grey then tan, like the OG busters were. What are your thoughts? Have anyone else obsessed and researched this? It's driving me nuts!
I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only one. I've spent two days just looking at fabric weave >_<
The suits are definitely custom, which is why I've opted to make my own pattern rather than trying to buy. My plan is to sell the pattern / full coveralls once they're finished. I have managed to get my hands on a replica set that someone else has had made so as soon as they arrive I'll post more information :):love:
MonaLS liked this
By MonaLS
The closest I've been able to find pictures of are WWII women's military coveralls. But the collar still isn't right. Not that I can find a pattern anywhere. I finally went with a costume off of Amazon, not the right fabric, but good enough for the moment. Once I stop working 70 hour weeks, I'll make my own. I've seen that collar somewhere before, but still can't place it. Vintage firefighter gear? Frustrating.
By Webster
MonaLS wrote:The closest I've been able to find pictures of are WWII women's military coveralls. But the collar still isn't right. Not that I can find a pattern anywhere. I finally went with a costume off of Amazon, not the right fabric, but good enough for the moment. Once I stop working 70 hour weeks, I'll make my own. I've seen that collar somewhere before, but still can't place it. Vintage firefighter gear? Frustrating.
I found exactly the same thing. Managed to find a few sets of vintage mechanics coveralls with the collar but even those weren't 100% the same. It's definitely going to be a custom job.
In regards to seeing the collar somewhere else, I've see a similar thing on dentist style coats and beautitian tunics but not on coveralls yet :(
MonaLS liked this
By pinder91
brianamatopoeia wrote:I think I've determined that the suits had a button closure, as opposed to a zip closure, which is what made me think they were vintage uniforms. I'm thinking these suits were a custom job, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about it.

;)

I'll have to do some digging, but another member here was able to speak with the costume designer (I think it was at SDCC) and confirmed the uniforms were in fact custom.
MonaLS, brianamatopoeia liked this
By Webster
pinder91 wrote:
brianamatopoeia wrote:I think I've determined that the suits had a button closure, as opposed to a zip closure, which is what made me think they were vintage uniforms. I'm thinking these suits were a custom job, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about it.

;)

I'll have to do some digging, but another member here was able to speak with the costume designer (I think it was at SDCC) and confirmed the uniforms were in fact custom.
Oh gods that makes like SO much easier. I was quietly dreading doing buttonholes on four suits! I've ordered some samples of white cottom herringbone which I'll dye myself to get the colour as close as possible. As always will post more as I get them.

On another update, I've ordered some American Optical glasses from here: http://www.monstercraftsman.com/monster ... on-yellow/
MonaLS liked this
By MonaLS
So what are you doing for uniform boots? And how tall? I'm finding boots in my calf size (17 inches) hard to find.
By Webster
pinder91 wrote:Scaling off the high-vis tape, you'll want the 20mm version of those buttons and not the 17mm.
Really? My calculations put the 20mm at being too big. Do you have a better image of the tape to work from?

EDIT: Just as a side note I can't seem to find any 20mm studs with the correct print. It's times like these I really dislike being based in the UK. We get don't get half the fun toys the US has :P
Last edited by Webster on August 28th, 2016, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Webster
MonaLS wrote:So what are you doing for uniform boots? And how tall? I'm finding boots in my calf size (17 inches) hard to find.
I haven't even started on final fight boots yet as I'm still working on sourcing combat boots and firefighter boots but i will let you know as soon as I do :)
MonaLS liked this
By pinder91
Webster wrote:Really? My calculations put the 20mm at being too big. Do you have a better image of the tape to work from?
I've been wrong before. LOL

But this picture was pretty helpful.

By Webster
pinder91 wrote: I've been wrong before. LOL

But this picture was pretty helpful.

I'm not afraid to admit I spent a whole minute clicking on that trying to get the video to play >_<
From that I would say the orange ribbon is 1.5" grosgrain which would mean the 20mm button would be too big. If I'm honest we're looking at an overall (pun intended) difference of 3mm which is never going to be that noticable. I would say the more important factor is that the print is correct. There are a number of buttons out there that at first glance look correct but actually say 'Top Quality Guaranteed" or "Quality Handmade".

That image is amazing for detail though Pinder, thank you for the link ^_^
MonaLS liked this
Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]