By XenuPrime
Has anybody else gotten a nomex flight suit with the velcro backing on the front (where the name tag goes)? Should I avoid this or what?
By kind2311
all flightsuits, be it nomex, tru-spec or rothco, all have nametag velcro.

break the stitching and remove it. do not leave it on.
By Dewka
Hi everyone
I will weigh in here as this is the ONE thing I know for sure:

I wear a Rotcho 6X suit for my 501st TIE pilot. well I should say I started out with it until I upgraded. Anyway the way the Rothco's are built the proportions have simply been pantographed up from a standard size. In doing that the pockets on the chest are way way way off. I have cut 9 inches off the legs and lopped off four inches off the arms.

While I do not WEAR 6X clothes I had to get this because of the rediculous way military suits are sized. Most helicopter pilots arent giants, most fo them that I flew with anyway. I needed the 6X suit to get my shoulders to fit . I had a 4X andsent it back...it came up to about 2 inches shy of my shoulders. It was zipping up just fine...except for the shortness in the shoulders. I do not remember this suit having the storm flap, my current suit does. I stillwear this one to events like Mardi Gras where there is danger of getting barfed on by really drunk chicks.
Also in the past year the zipper has caused me grief and is starting to unzip/ pop istelf. Mine have the size openings on the hips and I had to sew that closed because at a troop my underclothes were showing when it unzipped itself!
So bigger guys like me, we have a couple of options: Lose our tonnage up front and behind, and in the meanwhile get a second rate suit and bear with it.
By Jumpy86
Jairus wrote:You can probably find a Nomex suit for $10-20 more than a Tru-Spec on eBay if you're diligent.

One caveat though. I love the tailoring on the Nomex suits as much as the next "Prop Nazi," but they are god awful almost insufferable if you live in a hot climate. The Tru-Specs are a little more breathable, but comfort in this department is where the Rothcos really shine. (No pun intended. Bleach those suits to knock out the shine!)

Knock their tailoring and the fact that they need to be dyed all you want, but they're some DAMN comfortable suits.
Tehe, that is so true. But good if You're cosplaying in the winter or something. Maybe, and I know this is a very late post. Maybe You should use one of those too. Just for the winter. Sounds silly I know, but it seems like an okay idea.
By kind2311
Dewka wrote:Anyway the way the Rothco's are built the proportions have simply been pantographed up from a standard size. In doing that the pockets on the chest are way way way off.
I had a feeling thats why they are so damn misplaced on the larger suits, thank you for clearing that up
I do not remember this suit having the storm flap, my current suit does.
It does not. Rothco's do not come with storm flaps/weather guards/weather barriers/whatever you choose to call it.

Also in the past year the zipper has caused me grief and is starting to unzip/ pop itself. Mine have the size openings on the hips and I had to sew that closed because at a troop my underclothes were showing when it unzipped itself!
yes! my first suit was a rothco(which i never wore in public due to the main zipper breaking and the suit giving me major moose-knuckle). I had the same problem with the tourser-access zippers. Stupid rothco sews them in so the damn pull and slider are at the top when zipped shut, and the zippers are so shitty that they slide down by themselves and before you know it, if your only wearing chonies under your suit . . . .everyone gets an eyefull. Stupid f**** rothco.

Tru-spec and Nomex suits(the rare Nomex ones that still feature the side pockets) do not have this problem as their zippers are much higher quality(usually brass or another kind of metal) and are sewn-in so that the slider and pull are at the bottom when closed.
By Jumpy86
kind2311 wrote:
Jumpy86 wrote:Tehe, that is so true. But good if You're cosplaying in the winter or something.
CosWHAT?

:sigh:
What? I'm just used to saying cosplay, since I do a lot of costumes. And I don't yet have my ghostbuster uniform.
By kind2311
:P im Jk

i personally dont like to be associated with "Cosplayers" mostly because of the 400lb. male sailor moons and man-faye . . .etc. etc.

also, i dont "play" when i wear my GB costume. I wear it because i love the movie and i like the attention I get in costume.
GhostFaceX liked this
By Jumpy86
kind2311 wrote::P im Jk

i personally dont like to be associated with "Cosplayers" mostly because of the 400lb. male sailor moons and man-faye . . .etc. etc.

also, i dont "play" when i wear my GB costume. I wear it because i love the movie and i like the attention I get in costume.
lol that is another reason I love to wear costumes. I love to see the looks people give me.
By WeeMadHamish
kind2311 wrote:also, i dont "play" when i wear my GB costume. I wear it because i love the movie and i like the attention I get in costume.
Playing dress-up is still playing dress-up, regardless of the reasons... ;)
By Jairus
kind2311 wrote::P im Jk

Wikipedia wrote:Cosplay, short for "costume play", is type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea.
Merriam-Webster wrote:cos·tume: an outfit worn to create the appearance characteristic of a particular period, person, place, or thing
Merriam-Webster wrote:play: recreational activity; ... emphasis or publicity especially in the news media
By kind2311
you can get technical as f*** if you want, but theres a line.

im not a cosplayer

these are cosplayers, i am not a cosplayer

By raggletag
The term "cosplay" has more of a japanese anime flair to it, so I try not to use it when referring to non-anime costumes. It's kind of a misnomer for something like a Ghostbusters outfit. That's not to say I hate cosplay, though.
By WebChief
So, bringing this thread back on track here...

I can't find a CWU 27/P Flyers Coverall in my size to save my life without spending almost $200 to get a new one on Ebay. Anyone have one in a 44L or even better still in a 46L?
By ganthorion
Dewka wrote:While I do not WEAR 6X clothes I had to get this because of the rediculous way military suits are sized. Most helicopter pilots arent giants, most fo them that I flew with anyway. I needed the 6X suit to get my shoulders to fit . I had a 4X andsent it back...it came up to about 2 inches shy of my shoulders. It was zipping up just fine...except for the shortness in the shoulders. I do not remember this suit having the storm flap, my current suit does. I stillwear this one to events like Mardi Gras where there is danger of getting barfed on by really drunk chicks.
Also in the past year the zipper has caused me grief and is starting to unzip/ pop istelf. Mine have the size openings on the hips and I had to sew that closed because at a troop my underclothes were showing when it unzipped itself!
So bigger guys like me, we have a couple of options: Lose our tonnage up front and behind, and in the meanwhile get a second rate suit and bear with it.
I just received my cheap flightsuit (to quote Adam Savage "Well, there's your problem!") I ordered nearly a month ago and being a relatively large chap (read: fat ass) I went for 5XL (as it was the largest there). It looked like it was fit perfectly fine, and as soon as I tried it on I found I couldn't hook it over my shoulders (I can get it one, but I'm on a weird angle and on the verge of a severe wedgie). The legs themselves are fine but are way too long, but the chest to shoulders are on the verge of ridiculous. I have to wonder just who they were getting to model these things.

I've been on a good and steady diet for the past couple of months and have lost a fair bit, but I'm in serious doubt that the weight loss will help get the blasted thing over my shoulders >:(
By darth venomous
On the Rothco's, what color, and how much, dye should be used when trying to get them a little closer in the right color? Also, I read someone say something about bleaching them to get rid of the shine. How is that done without losing all the color from the suit?
Thanks
Edit: After much looking around last night, I found this: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 1&p=156830 So if that works, I'm going to give that a try in the next couple of weeks.
By Jairus
I was actually just about to link that to you, then saw that you'd found it.

I've since done another suit with that dye recipe, and it turned out fine. Results may vary based on your water hardness, dye availability, etc., of course.
By darth venomous
I just started the process, so as soon as it's done, I'll post up some pics to see how it's turned out.
Thanks again for posting that recipie originally. I couldn't find the liquid orange, so hopefully some of the powdered orange will work ok.
By WebChief
Krenzy wrote:WebChief, I DO actually have a 44L Nomex flightsuit I may be unloading. If you're interested, shoot me a PM with an offer.
PM sent.
By TheRealPonyboy
ganthorion wrote:
Dewka wrote: I just received my cheap flightsuit (to quote Adam Savage "Well, there's your problem!") I ordered nearly a month ago and being a relatively large chap (read: fat ass) I went for 5XL (as it was the largest there). It looked like it was fit perfectly fine, and as soon as I tried it on I found I couldn't hook it over my shoulders (I can get it one, but I'm on a weird angle and on the verge of a severe wedgie). The legs themselves are fine but are way too long, but the chest to shoulders are on the verge of ridiculous. I have to wonder just who they were getting to model these things.

I'm having the same issue with my Rotcho... Severe wedgie (and it's a large! and I'm not a big guy). It's getting returned as we speak. I don't know which Flight Suit to go with now.
By Jairus
Pilots aren't usually very large people; that's why the suits are so short in the torso and typically in smaller sizes.

Every time I have to get a stool to reach a high cabinet, I will laugh at your plight in finding fitting flight suits.

:twisted:

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]