Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By timeware
The fact it also was Feigs sarcastic response to 'Why women are not funny' from a few years ago which some GBfans did not know but raised red flags over has nothing to do with it?
It's all tied to Clinton? Because a funny president gets the votes?
The way they used the headlines yes. The "women are funny" line was an excuse for NY times bloggers and authors to come down on the male opposition to the film. Alot of click bait articles used that heading to lash out at people. The movie trailer even used that line as a direct shot to the male opposition of this movie.

I didn't say Feig intended those lines to promote HRC. I am saying that the times had used them in that matter. Your irrational defense of Paul is getting the best of you.
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote:. The "women are funny" line was an excuse for NY times bloggers and authors to come down on the male opposition to the film.
I'm sorry, but now you are saying 'women are funny' is aimed at the male opposition when a few posts ago you said it was aimed at all male GBfans.

Which one is it?

Which all somehow is meant to convert them into HRC voters. (I did not mention this was Feigs intent, I just said the NY times were quoting Feigs rant).
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah, it's always fun getting to know Timewares reasoning and secret plots behind such things as a movie review.

Regarding the opening scene:

Yes the tourguide made some 'tourguide' jokes when doing his routine, but he changed his act when standing near the door. This is also where the tone of the scene shifts. A scare is always better after a laugh. The candle falling creates tension after a gruesome story, with the tension releasing a bit after revealing he faked the falling candle, but immediately the screws get tightened again when the actual haunting starts.

You may not have found the scene scary, Richardless. But I think you don't have the favored response for that scene. Especially when the ghost suddenly flinged the Tourguide up the wall the audience is made sure this was getting seriously dangerous, especially after mentioning Eldridge was a serial killer.
It reminded me of something more out of a parody movies, like Scary Movie, than anything. I think the mistake was also in the casting. That actor is from Silicon Valley(a show I enjoy and I enjoy him in it. Infact his character and his performance is hilarious) and I think Feig wasn't thinking in the proper mode. With a different actor and some editing changes to the pace & tone that scene might be effective. Again, the chair bit could've been creepy but the way it's filmed just takes all the suspense right out of it.

I've always respected how Ivan Reitman approached the original. It's shot like any other movie. It's not shot like a comedy. You look at a movie like Jaws and Ghostbusters and you could see both taking place within the same universe. That's such an essential part of why the movie works as well as it does. We buy into the story and the universe. It's veeeery subtle. Part of me was so interested to see Reitman flex that directorial muscle again because I haven't liked one of his films since...Dave? Yeah I think Dave. I wanted to see what Reitman would do with all the new toys at his disposal and hoped it wouldn't change his subtle Ghostbusters directing. Reitman is a very underrated player in making GB work. Looking at all the original designs for the car and the GB gear and even some of the deleted scenes & it all could have gone wrong. Instead it all went right. The gear was redesigned into the best movie sci fi weapon next to the lightsaber, the car is iconic and there isn't one missing scene I'd insert back into the movie. It really is special. Ugh here I go again.

Alpha I wish I could watch this movie with you(the reboot). Truly. So we could each see the film from the others perspective. I think it would be educational for both of us and quite fun.

On an unrelated note, how goes the new addition to the family? All is well? Getting enough sleep?
By JurorNo.2
A comedy is like any other movie...
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:A comedy is like any other movie...
It's really not though. It's why the word Genre exists. Schindler's List is not like Dr Dolittle. Don't be silly.
By timeware
Alphagaia wrote:
timeware wrote:. The "women are funny" line was an excuse for NY times bloggers and authors to come down on the male opposition to the film.
I'm sorry, but now you are saying 'women are funny' is aimed at the male opposition when a few posts ago you said it was aimed at all male GBfans.

Which one is it?

Which all somehow is meant to convert them into HRC voters. (I did not mention this was Feigs intent, I just said the NY times were quoting Feigs rant).
My bad I skipped a word.

NY Times wanted male and female gbfans to feel guilty about the shit storm the actress' had been getting. They used the women are funny line to try and achieve that.

So yes NY Times was largely responsible for people taking issue with Pauls rant.

Then you had the bloggers coming out of the wood work using that line to guilt opposition to the film while at the same time campaign for Hillary. 4 out of 10 click bait articles opened with that line while ending with some pro hillary, or anti trump rant.

Whether or not Paul had intended for this to happen his quote became a part of the 2016 election.
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:A comedy is like any other movie...
It's really not though. It's why the word Genre exists. Schindler's List is not like Dr Dolittle. Don't be silly.
Your typical rudeness aside, Ghostbusters is not like Jaws. Apparently you only like Ghostbusters because you have this bizarrely low opinion of comedies and you need to think it somehow "rose" above it. :sigh: You might as well have said Ghostbusters "passes for straight," lol. Most of us have no such prejudice against comedies.

And if you're going to reply with your same old nonsense, consider this my last post to you. I'm tired of having to try and forget the fandom every time I watch movies I love.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on February 26th, 2017, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:
Your typical rudeness aside, Ghostbusters is not like Jaws. Apparently you only like Ghostbusters because you have this bizarrely low opinion of comedies and you need to think it somehow "rose" above it. :sigh: You might as well have said Ghostbusters "passes for straight," lol. Most of us have no such prejudice against comedies.

And if you're going to reply with your same old nonsense, consider this my last post to you. I'm tired of having to try and forget the fandom every time I watch movies I love.
You have legitimately terrible reading comprehension. Did I say Ghostbusters was like Jaws? I did not. I said the way Reitman shot the film..ugh Nevermind. You bore me.
By Alphagaia
I am feeding Tobin right now, it's 04:57 in the morning and I had 5 hours of blessfull sleep between bottles. I have been 'slimed' a few times already in the small month I know this little spud, and we both feel a little funky now and then, but It's all worth it for the little giggles and curious looks he gives when exploring his tiny world.

Actual insightful post coming during the next feeding, when it's the missus turn, because these little sleepy blue eyes are adorable to watch and I cannot resist any longer. I think he took lessons from Vigo.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote:Effects were definitely a big cut, together with all the license rights.

In camera effects laid over with CGI are actually more troublesome to make then just going all CGI. They take more time so think out, set up and perfect. Especially when using rigs and puppets. I know some people hate the stylistic choice of the effects in this movie, but I absolutely adore them and love they went the extra (but costly) mile with them by going in camera with a lot of them.
Yeah, I totally forgot about licensing!

They really did put in a lot of hard work, I admire their efforts a lot. I'm not the biggest on their stylistic choices, but the effects really look great on the Bluray with the added detail.
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:And btw, about the opening of GB84. The bit with the books moving from shelf to shelf. That is intended to be jokey as well as creepy. ;) Why is it so many fans feel the need to play down GB84's comedy? If you want a drama that's "played straight," then go watch one. Not GB84.
To be honest, I find the opening scene to be played straight. Even the floating books don't seem jokey. But you're right, there's no reason to downplay the comedic aspects of Ghostbusters as that is what the movie thrives on. I'm not a huge fan of the scifi genre, and it's the comedy element of Ghostbusters that draws me to the movie time and time again.
By Alphagaia
For me, the balance of comedy and fear is more subtle in the opening of GB84. The librarian dull look while she carts through the maze missing the flying books is entertaining. When the file cabinets open up it's rises the tension, but ultimately it's harmless. The music alternates between dangerous and excitement, and for me the big wind effect, white light with the scream and the ghost wooing was the perfect combination of unexpected, comical and excitement. Because it feels over the top, but the build up makes you buy it and you laugh and jump at the same time. I would compare it with the Shining while she runs brought the maze, which is a classic way of showing dread as she loses her way.
But I can understand Juror when she found the books funny. Because it is funny she just misses it. And it feels innocent enough: books are not dangerous. The same time as the movie builds tension with the music balancing it out, alternating between tension and excitement because a joke and scare go hand in hand. The excellent music sets the scene here, and is a character in itself.

Now GB:ATC is more like the video game and GB2: more talk and jokey, and the music is only playing the serious part ( love the score though. In GB2 the music shifts from funny to serious halfway through the scene, but goes way over the top.)
The chair is funny and unsettling, but at the same time a red herring. It's sort of a relief as it's only a mild scare, just like the scream through the door are timed and cut so that you expect it and with the tourguide muttering excuses for trying to break the window it's downplayed. The big, unexpected violent jerk is the moneyshot in that scene, telling you playtime is over as that's looked dangerous. Neither movie went that far before with a ghost attack in the opening and at that moment you start to wonder if he'll make it out alive.
Again, even most detractors found the opening very effective.

GB84 wins if pitted against each other, but both can be viewed as funny, thrilling and scary at the same time but for different reasons. For GB84,it's her dull look and the music constantly shifting the tone telling you how to feel, in ATC it's the red herrings, the backstory and the sudden shift in violence.

I would rate the openings as:
GB
GB:ATC
GB2
GB:TVG
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Alphagaia wrote: But I can understand Juror when she found the books funny. Because it is funny she just misses it. And it feels innocent enough: books are not dangerous. The same time as the movie builds tension with the music balancing it out, alternating between tension and excitement because a joke and scare go hand in hand. The excellent music sets the scene here, and is a character in itself.
Thank you, ;)
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: I'm sorry, but now you are saying 'women are funny' is aimed at the male opposition when a few posts ago you said it was aimed at all male GBfans.

Which one is it?

My bad I skipped a word.

NY Times wanted male and female gbfans to feel guilty about the shit storm the actress' had been getting. They used the women are funny line to try and achieve that.
I'm not sure what word you think you skipped? My problem with your statement is you jump from all males being targeted to just 'all males against the movie', and now suddenly you add women as well. Your claim is not coherent at all.

Which is why Kingpin and I already wondered why we should feel negatively targeted by 'Women are funny' as your previous claim was just that: we should all feel targeted in a negative way by that. Now you mean just the people against the movie, but frankly that's still overshooting the mark: I think the demographic should just be: people who hate on the movie because women are not funny.

Which was a line made popular by a rant from CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS.

This reminds me a lot of the 'nerds contains the biggest assholes' remark from Feig. Which does not mean all nerds are assholes, let alone mean all GBfans are assholes, but that;s exactly how all GBfans against the movie took a year old interview they dug up.

It makes much more sense NY Times used it to back up Feigs claim 'women are funny', which he derived from taking a stab at Hitchens rant, instead of 'guilting people to watch a movie they don't want while voting for a president they don't like' as you claim.
By timeware
I'm not sure what word you think you skipped? My problem with your statement is you jump from all males being targeted to just 'all males against the movie', and now suddenly you add women as well. Your claim is not coherent at all.

Which is why Kingpin and I already wondered why we should feel negatively targeted by 'Women are funny' as your previous claim was just that: we should all feel targeted in a negative way by that. Now you mean just the people against the movie, but frankly that's still overshooting the mark: I think the demographic should just be: people who hate on the movie because women are not funny.

Which was a line made popular by a rant from CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS.

This reminds me a lot of the 'nerds contains the biggest assholes' remark from Feig. Which does not mean all nerds are assholes, let alone mean all GBfans are assholes, but that;s exactly how all GBfans against the movie took a year old interview they dug up.

It makes much more sense NY Times used it to back up Feigs claim 'women are funny', which he derived from taking a stab at Hitchens rant, instead of 'guilting people to watch a movie they don't want while voting for a president they don't like' as you claim.
I think I laid out why those lines received a negative response, and why people took issue with them. So again and If this isn't coherent enough that's on you.

-different out lets used the line "Women are funny"

-NY times used the line to promote the film when the cast was getting shit.

-Bloggers used it to campaign for Hillary with their articles

-Liberal Fem bloggers used the line to lash out at men and women who took issue with the idea of 2016, and campaign for Hillary Clinton.

What makes sense to you doesn't necessarily make it fact. People felt targeted by the "Women are funny" quote with how it was used. Doesn't matter if it was a year old interview they dug up.

these outlets often used "If you don't think women are funny your sexist" to guilt people into seeing the movie, followed by "if you don't vote for Hillary your sexist."

In my previous posts I was actually defending Paul by giving an explanation on to why these words were seen as negative. I was not blaming him for the negativity that followed his response to that article.
By Alphagaia
I'm with you untill here:
timeware wrote:
What makes sense to you doesn't necessarily make it fact. People felt targeted by the "Women are funny" quote with how it was used. Doesn't matter if it was a year old interview they dug up.
They felt targeted because they were looking left and right to keep throwing mud, trying to drag as many people with them to play victim.
timeware wrote:These outlets often used "If you don't think women are funny your sexist" to guilt people into seeing the movie, followed by "if you don't vote for Hillary your sexist."
You mean the female bloggers?How is this NY times or Feigs fault? You keep jumping towards other outlets while you started with saying NYTimes was attacking all of us male GB.
By timeware
NY Times employed bloggers that wrote articles attacking male GB Fans.
I don't recall a lot of their click bait articles going after women, but the Fem Bloggers didn't differentiate between gender.

I didn't blame this on Feig. These outlets used his words in a different context that he intended.
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote:NY Times employed bloggers that wrote articles attacking male GB Fans.
Do you have proof of this?

Because I have a feeling this attacking focussed solely on the part of the fans that trolled and/or were being mysoginists instead of the whole male GB fanbase. (This seems to be a recurring theme, people playing victim when the shots are fired in another direction.)

Don't forget people went apeshit crazy in their outcries at the start. We all have seen the numerous distasteful posts below foto's of the GB visiting sick children and even on this very Forum by now banned individuals.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: But I can understand Juror when she found the books funny. Because it is funny she just misses it. And it feels innocent enough: books are not dangerous. The same time as the movie builds tension with the music balancing it out, alternating between tension and excitement because a joke and scare go hand in hand. The excellent music sets the scene here, and is a character in itself.
Thank you, ;)
Alpha agreed with Juror? Well this is shocking.

In all seriousness though this explains why you all think the reboot is the bee knees. We just see the franchise differently. If you find something funny, you can't be wrong. That's just the way humour works. There is no debate to be had there. We could argue on the scenes intention but even that doesn't matter if you find it funny. Some people find Larry the Cable Guy funny(probably the same people who find the reboot funny :) I kid. I kid)

Thankfully audiences voted with their wallets and cast this reboot down to the fiery abyss from whence it came. How do you like them apples ;)
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: Thankfully audiences voted with their wallets and cast this reboot down to the fiery abyss from whence it came. How do you like them apples ;)
I know you are partly joking here, but this joke is getting very tiresome for the people who view it as a hidden 'gem'. (If a 7 can be called a gem). I at least know people in my neighborhood are pleasantly surprised by it when I show it to them, not understanding the big deal on the net.

I agree with the rest, though. Even a very scary scene can be funny to some, because they are on edge in a 'you scream, you laugh because you screamed' kind of way or 'o my god, (s)he is so stupid right now'. Berating Juror for laughing or finding a scene scary while you did not was a bit mean spirited, probably because of you two butting heads before, but at least you reconciled it by understanding people can experience a scene in other ways. Now kiss and make up!

Anyways, it would indeed be a treat if we could watch the movies together, in a good cop, bad cop kind of way. Maybe some kind of Skype thing, perhaps that we record for others to enjoy/ridicule. If anything it's an excuse to watch the movies again. I'm not sure if my spoken English is fast enough to keep up with your gripes though ;-)

In the end, it's all harmless fun that sadly got out of hand because that's the way the internet works.
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote:
RichardLess wrote: Thankfully audiences voted with their wallets and cast this reboot down to the fiery abyss from whence it came. How do you like them apples ;)
I know you are partly joking here, but this joke is getting very tiresome for the people who view it as a hidden 'gem'. (If a 7 can be called a gem). I at least know people in my neighborhood are pleasantly surprised by it when I show it to them, not understanding the big deal on the net.

I agree with the rest, though. Even a very scary scene can be funny to some, because they are on edge in a 'you scream, you laugh because you screamed' kind of way or 'o my god, (s)he is so stupid right now'. Berating Juror for laughing or finding a scene scary while you did not was a bit mean spirited, probably because of you two butting heads before, but at least you reconciled it by understanding people can experience a scene in other ways. Now kiss and make up!

Anyways, it would indeed be a treat if we could watch the movies together, in a good cop, bad cop kind of way. Maybe some kind of Skype thing, perhaps that we record for others to enjoy/ridicule. If anything it's an excuse to watch the movies again. I'm not sure if my spoken English is fast enough to keep up with your gripes though ;-)

In the end, it's all harmless fun that sadly got out of hand because that's the way the internet works.
No I know. I was only kidding. Great movies bomb at the box office all the time. It gives no indication of quality. Just like terrible movies can make a billion dollars. You like it and others like it. That should be enough. Box office is the only thing we reboot dislikers can point to make ourselves feel justified. People did the same with Ghostbusters 2 came out.

Edit: As far as kissing and making up with Juror, I'd love to, truly. I've offered an olive branch many times only to be mocked for my efforts. Berating was not my intention but re reading what I wrote, I was harsh and for that I apologize. I can get too frustrated when people resort to certain tactics during a debate/conversation. Juror can be a bit selective with her reading while ignoring other points while also being passive aggressive(she certainly has a habit of disliking almost every single post I make). Me? I can be a know it all jerk who can be condescending. We just rub each other the wrong way I suppose. I'd love for it to be a relationship I feel you and I have(at least I think we do). We disagree immensely but still respect one another and find common ground occasionally. Sure there a times where things can get a bit heated but I always know your heart is in the right place. Always.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote:What makes sense to you doesn't necessarily make it fact.
That's something that goes both ways.
timeware wrote:People felt targeted by the "Women are funny" quote with how it was used.
And often people can feel targeted when they actually weren't, that's how persecution complexes operate. (And it has been acknowledged plenty of people were undeservingly caught in the crossfire of various criticisms and attacks, but plenty of deserving people were as well)

This thread has gone off-topic several times now, accruing a few report post complains. Like earlier I said I'm reluctant to lock this topic... but these divergences are becoming a bad habit. Lock one topic, and it pops up in another, with the end worry being it'll cause most of the reboot topics to be locked. I think again, we've got to do a lot of introspection as a community. I will unlock this topic should we hear anything new on the reboot sequel front, until then there's Ghostbusters 101 from IDW that until we hear otherwise, will be the closest we'll get to a sequel in the immediate future.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]