Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Styrofoam_Guy
I am pretty sure that the people that went to see the movie and made it the 11th top grossing film (including adjusting for inflation) would disagree with your statement.

Who else would disagree? All those people who have been cosplaying Rey and First Order TKs that I see at the conventions.

Who else? How about the over 10,000 BB8 builders club members who want to build their own BB8.

Local membership in the 501st garrison has increased by 40% last year. We average a minimum of 2 request for 501st members to attend events every week.

I don't think all of that would be possible if it were a "crap" movie.

pferreira1983 wrote:So I guess the studios are allowed to mess up and produce crap then like...The Force Awakens?
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
By EJLambert
pferreira1983 wrote:
EJLambert wrote:I always feel that when someone complains about studios not making movies for the fans, what they mean is that the studio doesn't make movies for them and the small group of people they hangout with.
So I guess the studios are allowed to mess up and produce crap then like...The Force Awakens?
There is no way they are going to please everyone. Not like a generally accepting person like you, anyhow.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
By pferreira1983
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I am pretty sure that the people that went to see the movie and made it the 11th top grossing film (including adjusting for inflation) would disagree with your statement.

Who else would disagree? All those people who have been cosplaying Rey and First Order TKs that I see at the conventions.

Who else? How about the over 10,000 BB8 builders club members who want to build their own BB8.

Local membership in the 501st garrison has increased by 40% last year. We average a minimum of 2 request for 501st members to attend events every week.

I don't think all of that would be possible if it were a "crap" movie.
People like crap movies. Why do you think they've made five Michael Bay Transformers movies? Box Office results don't equal quality, surely you know you this?
EJLambert wrote:There is no way they are going to please everyone. Not like a generally accepting person like you, anyhow.
Good thing I'm my own person then huh. :wink:
Krypton_Son liked this
By Zharthaddeus
I see the dialog continues in the "Review" section.
Actually, I enjoy reading 'Buster's opinions. :love:
By Styrofoam_Guy
So are you admitting that GB:ATC is not automatically a bad movie because it had bad box office numbers?
pferreira1983 wrote:People like crap movies. Why do you think they've made five Michael Bay Transformers movies? Box Office results don't equal quality, surely you know you this?:
By Alphagaia
Guys, does it really matter if he likes it or not. Let's not keep him droning on and on and on just because he disagrees. It's an endless cycle and I think most people have already made up their mind if his claims are valid or not.
By timeware
Anyway, Spidey is a success...here's looking forward to "Project Glass Ceiling" becoming a reality!
Black Cat and SIlver Sable are my favorite Spidey characters so it's going to be interesting to see how they work them into the current MCU. What I don't want to see is Silver Sable going to Peter's high school or disguised as one of the teachers.

With the planned Venom movie it would be an added nod to the 90's animated series if they have Black Cat mistakenly grab the venom vile when she goes for the super soldier serum. Another fun cameo would be to have Stan Lee play Felicia's father.

(Its the only way I can see them doing Venom without Peter.)

As for the Dr. Who being a woman controversy don't watch it if you don't like it. The incarnation of a Dr. usually lasts one or few years. Not a big deal. I didn't care for the last Dr. and haven't watched the series since Matt Smith left. I would have preferred them giving that role to the woman who played the Dr.'s wife though.
By pferreira1983
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:So are you admitting that GB:ATC is not automatically a bad movie because it had bad box office numbers?
It goes either way.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:I mean there is no conspiracy to hate the movie you talk of.
A big agree to disagree on that one. ;)
You expect him to make up stuff about the fans?
No, you misunderstood me, or I phrased that too awkwardly. I'm saying the fans he is trying to reason with aren't returning the favor. At least not in that comments section, lol. They don't care if he is criticizing the movie, all they heard was "it wasn't disrespectful or feminist" and now they're attacking him.
many who dislike it who attacked by the media for disliking it.
I think that's too simplistic but we've been over and over and over that. ;)
pro-reboot fans can't agree with what this guy has said because they're used to having a go at anyone who says anything bad about the reboot movie.
I saw a lot of fans having a go at people in 2016. Not many of them were pro reboot fans. It sounds like you liked the review because all you heard was him criticizing the movie. If you look at the comments section, all those fans heard was him not criticizing the movie, and that's why they're attacking him. Because for those types of fans, it's a zero sum game: Bash the movie, or you're wrong.
By the way Juror you mentioned your birthday coming up, when is it? Mine is coming up as well and I'll be the same age as you.
Early May. Oh, happy birthday! :)
Ah dang. And here I was hoping your Birthday was Infact Nov 2nd. Ah well. It's someone's birthday somewhere at least.
By JurorNo.2
Ohhh, I just meant the 2083 date, sorry for the confusion!
By featofstrength
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... toes-score
"there is a ticked-off splinter of the Star Wars fandom angered by The Last Jedi. These MAGA–esque fanboys—the same that called Rey a “Mary Sue” or lost their marbles over the 2016 all-female Ghostbusters reboot before it even hit theaters—have been spreading their overblown hatred all over social media. As you might imagine, those “fans”—who seem to take their cues from First Order supremacists Hux and Kylo rather than Resistance heroes Rey, Finn, and Poe—aren’t very comfortable with the film’s more progressive messages. Their hysteria-tinged reactions are best ignored."

Yeesh, Vanity Fair...a bit desperate to keep your SW covers running to infinity and beyond?
By Kingpin
featofstrength wrote:Yeesh, Vanity Fair...a bit desperate to keep your SW covers running to infinity and beyond?
Despite the off-hand remark about Ghostbusters 2016, the article you've linked to is not a review of the reboot, so it shouldn't have been posted in this topic.
By Sav C
Forgive me if this has been posted here before; I just stumbled across this review over on rogerebert.com by Susan Wloszczyna, and thought I should share it:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/Ghostbusters-2016

I think it is a pretty fair review. Not to mention, I also went back and looked at Roger Ebert's review of Ghostbusters (https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ghostbusters-1984), and I believe that it offers some insight into why the reboot turned out the way it did:
"Ghostbusters" is one of those rare movies where the original, fragile comic vision has survived a multimillion-dollar production. It is not a complete vindication for big-budget comedies, since it's still true, as a general rule, that the more you spend, the fewer laughs you get. But it uses its money wisely, and when that, ahem, monster marches down a Manhattan avenue and climbs the side of a skyscraper ... we're glad they spent the money for the special effects because it gets one of the biggest laughs in a long time.
With that in mind, we all probably should've gone easier on the reboot, and should definitely champion Ghostbusters II as it can comfortably stand with the first movie.

Edit: Hmm, I seem to be having trouble with my links. It's odd because I copied them directly out of the url bar. If you go to rogerebert.com and type Ghostbusters in the search bar, the two reviews I attempted to link to appear at the top of the page.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]