Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Man, when I obsess about other franchises like Star Trek, or Indiana Jones, I feel like I HAVE to be screen accurate. With Ghostbusters though, while I want to be very close, I also feel like I can branch out with individuality. Part of that is because I think if Ghostbusters were real, they would have shopped off the shelf and bought whatever is convenient for them. When they got back in business they probably just went to any number of different sources for similar parts/patches. So likewise, 30 years later, as a pretend Ghostbuster, I'd also shop for a uniform that matched a generic requirement. I feel like I can have creativity, like painting something blue instead of red. I can head-canon that the Spirit Ghost Trap is wireless because improvements of technology meant that the trap is now wireless somehow. The Spirit proton pack is now just a smaller, lighter version because of better engineering.
jedipoodoo, infinacy liked this
I think you summed it up nicely. The Ghostbusters aren't Tony Stark, they don't have billions of dollars at their disposal. They're three schlubs who started a business together, and eventually franchise it out to other people. I think that, at most, they would build and sell the proton packs and maybe the traps, but everything else would be up to the individual franchisees. And when something breaks or you need to tweak something, what are you going to do; send it away for weeks at a time, or fix it yourself using something that's not the same, but does the same job? Fix it enough times and maybe you can build your own from scratch, but using a different base. The purchase of what would become the Ecto-1 was happenstance - do they really expect all franchise owners to go out and find a specific model of classic car? Of course not, they're going to use whatever is the most efficient and cost-effective for their business, and different vehicles offer different opportunities and restrictions for how you lay out all that gear on the roof.

Across 3 movies, 2 animated series and a bunch of comic books, the uniforms and tech has changed. So there's no reason to be beholden to one specific look. Part of the appeal for me, and what I think makes Ghostbusters great, is that ANYONE can be a Ghostbuster. Not everyone can be Thor, or Black Widow, or a Stormtrooper. But anyone can be a Ghostbuster regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality, age, physical build, or even mobility. And while cosplay and conventions are growing more and more inclusive, I think that GB is perhaps one of the most open fandoms out there when it comes to costumes and props. I think most of us have enough energy inside of us that we can be excited for how accurate one person made their prop, and the creativity another person showed in coming up with theirs, and the enthusiasm another shows for their last-minute kludge job that gets the message across because dang it their tech guy probably WOULD use an old hoover casing and hose for a back-mounted proton pack and ghost trap combo.

tl;dr I'm glad that if someone says "I wanna wear a pink jumpsuit instead of brown", everyone just nods and says "cool, I wanna see it when it's done."
Macktacular wrote: September 28th, 2019, 8:22 pm I think you summed it up nicely. The Ghostbusters aren't Tony Stark, they don't have billions of dollars at their disposal. They're three schlubs who started a business together, and eventually franchise it out to other people. I think that, at most, they would build and sell the proton packs and maybe the traps, but everything else would be up to the individual franchisees. And when something breaks or you need to tweak something, what are you going to do; send it away for weeks at a time, or fix it yourself using something that's not the same, but does the same job? Fix it enough times and maybe you can build your own from scratch, but using a different base. The purchase of what would become the Ecto-1 was happenstance - do they really expect all franchise owners to go out and find a specific model of classic car? Of course not, they're going to use whatever is the most efficient and cost-effective for their business, and different vehicles offer different opportunities and restrictions for how you lay out all that gear on the roof.

Across 3 movies, 2 animated series and a bunch of comic books, the uniforms and tech has changed. So there's no reason to be beholden to one specific look. Part of the appeal for me, and what I think makes Ghostbusters great, is that ANYONE can be a Ghostbuster. Not everyone can be Thor, or Black Widow, or a Stormtrooper. But anyone can be a Ghostbuster regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality, age, physical build, or even mobility. And while cosplay and conventions are growing more and more inclusive, I think that GB is perhaps one of the most open fandoms out there when it comes to costumes and props. I think most of us have enough energy inside of us that we can be excited for how accurate one person made their prop, and the creativity another person showed in coming up with theirs, and the enthusiasm another shows for their last-minute kludge job that gets the message across because dang it their tech guy probably WOULD use an old hoover casing and hose for a back-mounted proton pack and ghost trap combo.

tl;dr I'm glad that if someone says "I wanna wear a pink jumpsuit instead of brown", everyone just nods and says "cool, I wanna see it when it's done."
@ *referring to bold*
Apart from being a Comedy, Horror, and Science Fiction adventure all rolled into one, this pretty much sums up my thoughts about what Ghostbusters is 'really' about. ^_^
jedipoodoo liked this
This hobby has always been forgiving when it comes to accuracy but I noticed a real change in attitude when the Wamco Bargraph was discovered. Even some of the staunch perfectionists had no care to add a $1,000 part to their pack in the name of accuracy. That was refreshing to see. I worried it might create an elitist feeling in some of the wealthier prop makers but it never happened and I credit that to the folks in this community being so open.
jedipoodoo liked this
My present pack isn't movie specific and it kinda falls somewhere between GB1 and GBII-ish and it kind of took on it's own character as I was building it! Lots of memories attached to it as I went around with my Bro, Sister in Law and Nephew on Halloween literally the day after I "finished it" He kept asking me to play the song lol. For christmas this year I'm giving him the Matty thrower which I heavily based my thrower build on (he's 7) so depending on how that is recieved I may or may not be building a smaller pack to go along with it in the near future!

I live about 12 hours North of my folks and whenever he's there he asks about it apparently so I think it's gonna blow his mind when I give it to him! ^_^

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy colle[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]