Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Slime Lord
Hands down to me this has to be by far the scariest and most eerie moment of the entire GB series. I'll never forget how this scene used to terrify me as a child and it was the only time as a kid I can recall the GB films ever frightening me (well that and the zombie cabbie from the first film). Everything about this sequence, from the unsettling, isolated ambience of it to the eerie dismebodied voice that bellows "Winston!" and the build-up to the ghastly-looking severed heads impaled on the spikes.... this was total nightmare fuel as a kid. I remember as a kid I'd either fast forward through this scene on the VHS (I feel old remembering that) or flat-out leaving the room and waiting for this scene to pass, as it was just too much for me to take even as a small kid who loved Horror. This scene is far scarier than a lot of what one sees in graphically violent R-rated Horror films. I'm still perplexed to this day as to how the film got a PG rating with this scene in it as there's just no way it would receive that rating today. People can rag on GB2 as much as they want, but this is undeniably a powerful and haunting sequence, and for those of us who were kids back then, it was likely a source of some childhood trauma. I bet more than a few GB fans as kids must've been terrified senseless by this sequence back then.
By Kingpin
The railway tunnel (steam trains like that weren't used in the Subway), and the Van Horne station sequence (based on Alfred Ely Beach's pneumatic transit concept) is one of the sequences that for me helped save Ghostbusters II, preventing it from seeming too goofy/kid friendly/lighthearted compared to the first. It was a necessary comic relief, underscoring the horror elements that made the original so memorable.
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote: September 4th, 2019, 3:18 pm The railway tunnel (steam trains like that weren't used in the Subway), and the Van Horne station sequence (based on Alfred Ely Beach's pneumatic transit concept) is one of the sequences that for me helped save Ghostbusters II, preventing it from seeming too goofy/kid friendly/lighthearted compared to the first. It was a necessary comic relief, underscoring the horror elements that made the original so memorable.
And it's not even in the original shooting script!! See this is why I'm fascinated with GB2. Reitman & Co realized EXACTLY what they needed and what was wrong. In my opinion every single added scene during reshoots improves the movie immensely. From the Subway sequence, to the Fire in the dark room, to the Mayor's office and the eclipse and finally the added bits during the final showdown with Vigo. I only wonder what else Reitman would've changed had he not run out of time. He wanted more additions but they couldn't fit any more FX shots into the schedule. It got so crazy ILM had to refuse more work because they couldn't guarantee the quality.

As much as I want to see some of the deleted scenes, the only one I could say would improve the film is maybe the Ray possessed by Vigo while driving scene and maybe some of the Louis and Slimer scenes. But Eugene levy as Cousin Sherman? I want to see the sequence but I don't think it would improve the film any.
By Peter Venkman Jr.
I saw Ghostbusters II twice at my local drive in theatre in the summer of 1989. Both times the Subway tunnel scene really scared me and also gave me a laugh with Egon and Winston's reaction to the ghost train going through the tunnel. Having read both the comic book adaptation by NOW comics (The Real Ghostbusters starring Ghostbusters II) and the junior novelization which were both based on the earlier script drafts, I am glad that Ivan Reitman reshot this scene since the original had no severed heads, no ghost train and had the Ghostbusters find the river of slime rather quickly. As you said, it defiantly helped the movie.

@RichardLess, As I understand it the possessed Ray driving Ecto 1A scene was only partially completed. Their is a scene of the Ghostbusters noticing Ray acting strange outside the Museum that is the Electronic Press Kit, and the shot of Ecto 1A running a red light with Peter and Egon exchanging concerned looks seen in the montage was originally part of this sequence. However Ernie Hudson mentioned not long ago that he does not recall filming punching out Dan Aykroyd, and to my knowledge it was decided early to scrap the crashing of Ecto 1A since the production only had one car to work with.

As for Eugene Levy's scenes as Sherman Tully, Louis cousin the reason why those have not been released yet is due to Sony needing to pay him a royalty fee despite the scenes being cut from the film.
Last edited by Peter Venkman Jr. on October 3rd, 2019, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Doctor Venkman
Slime Lord wrote: September 4th, 2019, 2:47 pm This scene is far scarier than a lot of what one sees in graphically violent R-rated Horror films. I'm still perplexed to this day as to how the film got a PG rating with this scene in it as there's just no way it would receive that rating today.
Movie ratings have definitely changed. It's surprising that it didn't push it towards a PG-13 rating, but to say that it is far scarier than graphically violent R-rated horror films is pushing it lol
By davidkram2003
That scene is scary but the one scene that scared me as a kid was when janosz eyes lit up in the hallway after he tried to go into Dana’s apartment. It just always freaked me out.
By BRD 527
I think that was the scariest part of the movie when I first watched it

I used to make my sister watch it with me then we would play ghostbusters. I was Egon cause I where glasses, she was Peter cause she loves Bill Murry and our other sister was Ray cause shes the fat one :blush:
By RichardLess
For me Ghostbusters 2 is definitely more scary than the first. Vigo is terrifying, Janosz and the eyeballs, The river of slime is creepy with the tentacles that reach out, the bathtub sequence, the subway scene is a big one, I always found the window opening behind Oscar reeeeaaalt creepy as a kid. There's no ghost that you see, just the window opening. Then those creepy ass pictures of Vigo that spontaneously combust?? Then during the Vigo showdown, the sounds he makes. Like an animal. The way his face contorts & warps after Egon shouts "He's back in the painting!".

There's also something with the atmosphere. The music, the wind blowing in characters hair(I love that effect!). Vigo is a constant presence throughout the movie where as Gozer is more of a mystery & unknown until the climax. Vigo's presence literally haunts the entire film. That bit where we catch him winking and smiling at Dana? Oh man. Gives me the creeps. There's just something about that dudes face that is scary. Perfect casting.

As a kid, Gozer never scared me. But Vigo?? And the Slime? Oooh man. When I use to get scared at night I'd have my blue plastic proton pack right beside my bed, just incase Vigo showed up and wanted to tango.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]