Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I'm not sure if this is a nationwide thing or not but I just thought people might like to check their local theaters because the original film is being shown for the 35th Anniversary. I live in Knoxville TN and next Friday night they're showing it at the TN Theater and it's only $9 a ticket! I think that's a STEAL to watch it on the big screen again! Just thought I'd let people know these events are happening if maybe they'd wanna catch it at a theater near them.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: July 26th, 2019, 6:28 pm I'm not sure if this is a nationwide thing or not but I just thought people might like to check their local theaters because the original film is being shown for the 35th Anniversary. I live in Knoxville TN and next Friday night they're showing it at the TN Theater and it's only $9 a ticket! I think that's a STEAL to watch it on the big screen again! Just thought I'd let people know these events are happening if maybe they'd wanna catch it at a theater near them.
A re release has already been announced for October 6th and 10th.
NotSabbat liked this
I'm highly doubtful about about special merchandise being made exclusive to the screenings.

Fathom Events charges full prices to watch classic movie and that irks me to no end.

In 2016 when they did a showing of the classic Ghostbusters there was a short sneak peek at ATC.

My hopes and dreams are that with the re-release we get a sneak peek at GB2020.

*fingers crossed*
deadderek wrote: July 28th, 2019, 12:51 am I'm highly doubtful about about special merchandise being made exclusive to the screenings.

Fathom Events charges full prices to watch classic movie and that irks me to no end.

In 2016 when they did a showing of the classic Ghostbusters there was a short sneak peek at ATC.

My hopes and dreams are that with the re-release we get a sneak peek at GB2020.

*fingers crossed*
I was thinking the same thing about a new trailer being attached to the rerelease. A July release date usually means a late October-late November trailer release.
Nerdist is saying these re-releases will feature alternate takes and a new cut of the film! This is crossed wires, right? Surely they mean the presentation beforehand will be the alternate takes thing that was playing at the big get together? Otherwise this has slipped under the radar somewhat!

https://nerdist.com/article/ghostbuster ... ate-takes/
robbritton wrote: September 10th, 2019, 3:51 am Nerdist is saying these re-releases will feature alternate takes and a new cut of the film! This is crossed wires, right? Surely they mean the presentation beforehand will be the alternate takes thing that was playing at the big get together? Otherwise this has slipped under the radar somewhat!

Yeah I don't think it's a new cut. At least I hope not. I don't want them touching anything unless it's fixing matte lines or other FX work. Maybe the "it's clearly a red lightbulb" eye reveal of the crumbling terror dog statue or the "it's clearly a regular light bulb" in the terror dogs mouth when Dana opens the fridge. Or perhaps making the stop motion terror dog running across the street a little smoother. But beyond that? There's not a single alternate take or deleted scene that belongs in the movie.

There no way Ivan Reitman would mess with a classic. He's admitted wanting to maybe rejigger GB2 a bit but beyond that...my understanding is that there is a video presentation before or after the movie featuring these alternate takes & deleted scenes.

Has anyone found any show times yet for Ontario Canada? It's fathom events so the website only has zip codes. Any info or links would be appreciated.
robbritton liked this
I get the vibe it's a video prior to the movie. That's pretty much what Fathom did on their 2016 GB screenings.

I don't care much for touching up FX, but I think it would be incredibly interesting to see a new cut of the film using completely different takes. Hell, use modern FX to finish it out. Sony has the raw material, and Jason even joked about a cutting a new version at Fan Fest. Considering the improv, it would be super cool to see. Ghostbusters: The Jason Reitman Remix

Nothing to get too excited about. I'll bet the farm the only 2020 thing we'll hear is "...& don't forget to see the new Ghostbusters next summer!"
RichardLess wrote: September 10th, 2019, 8:19 am
robbritton wrote: September 10th, 2019, 3:51 am Nerdist is saying these re-releases will feature alternate takes and a new cut of the film! This is crossed wires, right? Surely they mean the presentation beforehand will be the alternate takes thing that was playing at the big get together? Otherwise this has slipped under the radar somewhat!

Yeah I don't think it's a new cut. At least I hope not. I don't want them touching anything unless it's fixing matte lines or other FX work. Maybe the "it's clearly a red lightbulb" eye reveal of the crumbling terror dog statue or the "it's clearly a regular light bulb" in the terror dogs mouth when Dana opens the fridge. Or perhaps making the stop motion terror dog running across the street a little smoother. But beyond that? There's not a single alternate take or deleted scene that belongs in the movie.

There no way Ivan Reitman would mess with a classic. He's admitted wanting to maybe rejigger GB2 a bit but beyond that...my understanding is that there is a video presentation before or after the movie featuring these alternate takes & deleted scenes.

Has anyone found any show times yet for Ontario Canada? It's fathom events so the website only has zip codes. Any info or links would be appreciated.
I used the following link to find a showing in my city https://www.tribute.ca/showtimes/movie/ ... o=0#search

It was originally shared on the GB subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... showtimes/
My dad just got tickets for me, my sister, my brother in law and himself for the Sunday October 6th screening. I am very excited, this will be the fourth time I have seen Ghostbusters on the big screen. Plus my birthday is the day before, so this feels like an extra present. Looking forward to seeing all of the alternate takes before the feature starts as well.
deadderek liked this
Coover5 wrote: October 1st, 2019, 9:38 am The price is what's keeping me from seeing it. I missed out on new movies I really wanted to see like Star Wars and Halloween because of the price. I can't justify spending that money on a movie I own five times over.
Seeing this movie in theatres with a crowd is something every GB fan should try and do. It's...amazing. I first saw it in theatres during a re-release 10 years ago and the theatre was packed. Seeing other people enjoy the film, laugh at the all right moments, hear them talking afterwards about how great it was...man. It was one of the greatest theatrical experience of my life.

Has anyone noticed the runtime is listed as 121 minutes for the re-release?? I really hope they aren't screwing around with the actual movie. I just want the movie as is. I'm getting the feeling that they have edited these alternate takes INTO the actual film. That can't be right tho...
RichardLess wrote: October 4th, 2019, 4:24 am Seeing this movie in theatres with a crowd is something every GB fan should try and do. It's...amazing. I first saw it in theatres during a re-release 10 years ago and the theatre was packed. Seeing other people enjoy the film, laugh at the all right moments, hear them talking afterwards about how great it was...man. It was one of the greatest theatrical experience of my life.
Aaaaaagreeeeeed 110%. It's energetic!
RichardLess wrote: October 4th, 2019, 4:24 am Has anyone noticed the runtime is listed as 121 minutes for the re-release?? I really hope they aren't screwing around with the actual movie. I just want the movie as is. I'm getting the feeling that they have edited these alternate takes INTO the actual film. That can't be right tho...
Jason "joked" about it at Fan Fest, so there's really no telling. I would LOVE to see a complete alternate version, but not so much simply replaced scenes. Also, I finally PMed you back Mr. Less!
Where I grew up we had a "movies in the park" event that would run all summer and Ghostbusters was played a few times each year. I've seen GB in theater but it never beat seeing it as a kid in that park surrounded by other die hard fans. We were kids, we were passionate and we weren't afraid to show it. There'd always be at least one kid dressed in the kenner pack and jumpsuit. And when kids would bring their toys with them sometimes you'd see a Ghostbuster toy you never knew existed. That was the only place I ever got to see the EGB trap toy. The store was always sold out.
Kingpin, RichardLess liked this
I went to see the movie last night and I'm surprised that nobody has since brought up the alternate takes with new footage show before the movie. I had assumed they were going to be the same clips shown at Fan Fest but instead they were a couple of longer scenes with things I never seen before.
I went this past weekend with my father, brother in law and older sister. It was real treat seeing the short feature with the cast and Ivan Reitman looking back at the movie. Also, we all enjoyed seeing the alternate takes before the movie started. I had not seen either of them before. The camera placement was quite different in addition to the spoken dialogue, I am really glad that the takes used in the final cut used closer angles on the actors.
Glenn Frederick liked this
I went yesterday and thought it was very cool that they had everyone (including Murray) on the little panel beforehand. I loved his story about driving the Ecto around NYC, just blowing red lights and how no one knew who the hell they were. You could tell they really had some fun with it.
Peter Venkman Jr. liked this
I'm going tomorrow. It was a complete surprise to me. I went to the cinema last week to see Joker and Judy and they had it up on the list. I've seen Ghostbusters 1 and 2 in the cinema a couple of times at the Prince Charles Cinema (a theatre in Leicester Square that shows old films) but it's still not quite the same as a real, current day, Big Screen cinema.

While we're on the subject of money, when I was a student I could go and see films for £3 a time and I would routinely go and see films that happened to be on at the time I walked in there without any clue of what the film was about - I'm quite open-minded with my genres and the surprise was all part of the thrill. I discovered some great films that I still love to this day; Changing Lanes, Mr Deeds, The Life of David Gale, Chicago, Catch Me if You Can, The Terminal and plenty more. These days, it's not possible to do that because I can't afford to drop £10 on a film I might not like.

I guess it's fair to say that the cinema experience has been devalued by the prevalence of widescreen TVs, disc media, streaming services and high definition. For relatively little financial outlay, you can get an experience that's more or less comparable to the theatrical exhibition and, for a few grand, you can pretty much have a cinema in your own home. When VHS was king, the cinema was an indisputably better experience to what you could get in the home; even if you had a Laser Disc player.

But, for some reason, I still keep going.
Kingpin liked this
Going tomorrow too, in the smallest screen London has ever seen! Still, always nice to see it in an actual cinema.
Kingpin liked this
Glenn Frederick wrote: October 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm I went to see the movie last night and I'm surprised that nobody has since brought up the alternate takes with new footage show before the movie. I had assumed they were going to be the same clips shown at Fan Fest but instead they were a couple of longer scenes with things I never seen before.
what are the scenes off would love to know
Myself and another few members of our Alberta Ghostbusters franchise managed to see it over the few screenings and really enjoyed the alternate takes even if they had been seen in other media and the big perk were the interviews...Which I really hope were filmed while making GB2020. I can't see Bill showing up for a 5 minute interview. At any rate it was a really nice perk.
deadderek liked this
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: October 18th, 2019, 2:23 amI can't see Bill showing up for a 5 minute interview.
Bill Murray is absolutely the big wildcard in all of this but:

He said in an interview he'd be up for showing up for a new one.
He's been spotted up in Canada. (Eating with Dan and Sigourney but come on no way GB wasn't at least brought up.)
What was with the hair dye?

Like you said there's no way I'd buy that Murray got together with Dan, Ivan, & Ernie JUST to film the brief prelude to the 35th anniversary re-release.

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]