Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By RichardLess
Ok. So this is the thread where we can all talk about GB16 in a safe environment as it relates to GB2020. People don't want GB16 being brought up in the other thread, so let's do it here.

Ok. So if you don't want to talk about GB16, you don't have to. But here is a place that if you have a point as it relates to GB2020 it can be brought up without complaints.

So. What do we want from GB20 that GB16 didn't give us?(besides a good movie. I kid. I kid.)
By Coover5
I'm just excited to be able to bring up GB20 and GB16 in one place. Every other time you discuss a franchise's future you need to be able to bring up past projects and it was a silly hinderance to not allow talk of GB16.
By Coover5
The good: I liked how the government seemed more aware of ghosts and possible past incidents. I thought that was a pretty smart call and opened the lore up a bit. I'd like to see that done in GB20.

The bad: I wasn't a fan of all the gadgets. To me they weren't unique enough to be necessary.

What I thought I wanted: I was thrilled to see a huge mob of ghosts in GB16 and the large scale ghosts they had. I wanted that so bad for so long. But even though the idea was executed exactly the way I'd have it done it just didn't work for me. That was one part of the original GB concept I thought they were wrong for not doing but I guess they were right. Glad I got to see it done though. In GB20 I'd like to see it scaled back from GB16.
GB 2020 is already delivering what ATC didn’t. A genuine sequel to the original films. :):):)

I remember hoping that they were going to pull the rug out from under us. I was expecting them to keep marketing ATC as a remake and then when you went to see the movie it would slowly reveal that the movie was a sequel all along. That didn’t happen though. To their credit they didn’t resort to that gimmick and they didn’t lie. They put out what they said they were putting out which was a remake. I consider it a missed opportunity. However again IDW more than made up for any missed opportunity with their 101 and Crossing Over Arcs. Who knew when they had the Prime GBs meet The Real Ghostbusters counterparts it would open a door to so many big awesome Ghostbusting Worlds ATC included. They already brought the worlds together in ways I just don’t think would be done as well on film.

So I have No doubt that 2020 is going to deliver. I am already way more invested in all the little tidbits that have been put out on this movie than any of the MAJOR announcements that were made during ATCs production. I am not trying to be mean that is just my truth. I don’t think less of the fans that loved the movie. In fact I envy them for taking something from the movie that I could not. I am glad there are ATC fans. Just like I am really glad there are fans like myself who love Ghostbusters 2. There is room for everyone. :):):)
By Kingpin
As an added incentive to stay on topic: I will be locking this thread without hesitation if it just descends into yet another slagging match about Answer The Call.

On topic: We may not've ended up with GB2020 were it not for ATC and it's unfortunate failings, I feel that's something that should be kept in mind when looking back on the film.
philmorgan81 liked this
Kingpin wrote: July 6th, 2019, 4:56 pm As an added incentive to stay on topic: I will be locking this thread without hesitation if it just descends into yet another slagging match about Answer The Call.

On topic: We may not've ended up with GB2020 were it not for ATC and it's unfortunate failings, I feel that's something that should be kept in mind when looking back on the film.
100%. We don't get GB2020 if ATC doesn't bomb. There's just no way that happens. We'd probably have a GB16 sequel instead. In that way, I can understand why Leslie Jones was upset. She thought GB2020 was a win for all the ugliness. Had anyone but Jason Reitman taken up the call, I'd say she might be right. But..it just feels so right. A literal passing of the torch. I mean...did anyone see Ivan Reitman cry at the fanfest? That got me.

Edit: Yes. I realize it's not a *literal* passing of the torch. But..well you get the idea
Coover5 wrote: July 6th, 2019, 10:56 am The good: I liked how the government seemed more aware of ghosts and possible past incidents. I thought that was a pretty smart call and opened the lore up a bit. I'd like to see that done in GB20.

The bad: I wasn't a fan of all the gadgets. To me they weren't unique enough to be necessary.

What I thought I wanted: I was thrilled to see a huge mob of ghosts in GB16 and the large scale ghosts they had. I wanted that so bad for so long. But even though the idea was executed exactly the way I'd have it done it just didn't work for me. That was one part of the original GB concept I thought they were wrong for not doing but I guess they were right. Glad I got to see it done though. In GB20 I'd like to see it scaled back from GB16.
You know what's funny? Well, not funny really but I guess more "odd". My favourite thing about "Ghostbusters" isn't the Ghostbusting. It's cool don't get me wrong..it's just.. My favourite thing has always been the investigation part. Winston and Ray in the Car talking about blue prints and the bible, Ray and Egon(and Venkman) in the Occult shop, Ray and Egon looking at the Vigo picture, Venkman at Dana's apartment for the first time. I LOVE seeing stuff like that. For me GB16 just had way too much..muchness. Maybe if I would've been a fan of the ghost designs I'd be on board with all the ghost action. It just felt...fake. Let's compare the original films two busting sequence.

The first film busting sequence is funny and well paced. But here's the key ingredient: It's just the 3 guys. No one else is inside that ball room. They have almost no idea what they are doing and we are learning as they are learning, the camera is locked off, which means no movement. And I like that. I like how sterile the direction is. Now let's look at the 2nd film court room sequence..

Now this is a scene that is VERY different. The GB's are played up as heroic(that music and great theme). They know what they are doing. And again..they are alone. Very important. This time the camera moves and the sequence is much more visceral and exciting. You are pumped as an audience member. The music plays a bit part. It's a great sequence.

Both scenes the GBs are alone. Why is this important? Well on a practical level it had to be that way. Back then too many extras might have been a rotoscoping nightmare for VFX. But besides that it allows the actors to let loose. That Do, Ray Egon(which I love) wouldn't work if the courtroom was full of onlookers. Also: Proton Packs are flipping dangerous! They could kill on lookers. In ATC they just willy nilly bust the ghost(that CGI...) with on lookers. Hundreds of them. It reminds me more of the scene with Vanilla Ice in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 2 than Ghostbusters.

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker scen[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]