By ImperialWalker
Hey Folks,

I did a search, but didn't really come across the answers I was looking for.

A few moments ago I was test fitting the door decals from Charlesworth Dynamics and I'm a little frustrated. I won't get into it now as I am saving my review of his kit for later, but needless to say I'm a little disappointed that they don't fit as they should.

I am trying to gather some more information on the stripes and what would be the best way to replicate them. I am doing a more GB1 style trap, but I figured we could discuss both.

GB1 Trap

I realize there are a few versions out there, but in this particular one it appears as though there is both black and yellow tape. It does appear to have shrunk over time, but it can clearly be seen that it is tape over black paint.

The yellow tape also appears to be more of a fabric tape opposed to a vinyl, like electrical tape. The edges are frayed in a way vinyl wouldn't do and there does seem to be a bit of a texture. Something you would expect with a duct tape material

It does look like the black tape may be vinyl like electrical tape as it looks more like it peeled.

Edges

On all the GB1 (and 2) traps, the tape appears to go right to the edge, but not over as I've seen on some commercially available props. There does not appear to be any gaps at all (which is why I'm sad about the CD stickers as they don't fit properly).

Placement

Looking at the reference photos, it seems the placement does also vary a bit from trap to trap. In the GB1 above, the rear edge of the yellow stripe doesn't seem to fill the gap where the screw is, but on this GB2 trap, it does. Oddly there is also not a stripe on the rear corner which there should be if the spacing was continued. I can't find any evidence that this was once there.

GB2 Trap

It seems that these stripes are vinyl. The references I have show them peeling as one would expect vinyl tape to do. However, in this trap I can't see any evidence there is black tape as well.

Edges

As with the GB1 trap the tape seems to go right to the edges but not over.

Placement

To my eyes, I think the GB2 trap might also have different spacing between the stripes. On the GB1 trap, the front stripe ends a little less than midway between the door, whereas on the GB2 trap, it ends near the hinge. They both however end almost in the same spot at the back with the corner lining up very close to the rear hinge.

Thoughts?

I realize I'm just getting into this whole trap research, so I would appreciate any additional information. I don't think I'm going to use these stickers, so I'm looking for a way to replicate the GB1 trap.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
By EctoLabs
When I bought the Charlesworth kit, he wasn't offering decals. I used two layers of standard 19mm yellow electrical tape as that seemed to be a more accurate (and neater) look than painting the stripes on. The tape also weathers nicely if you rub some oil paint into it.
By ImperialWalker
EctoLabs wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:38 am When I bought the Charlesworth kit, he wasn't offering decals. I used two layers of standard 19mm yellow electrical tape as that seemed to be a more accurate (and neater) look than painting the stripes on. The tape also weathers nicely if you rub some oil paint into it.
I liked the look of your stripes when I saw them in your other post. I am going for the GB1 version though, so I am wondering if there is some modern tape that would work for that version?

Did you just eye it when you applied yours?
By westies14
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

The “fabric” tape you’re looking for is called “gaffer’s tape.”

WELSTIK 1 Pack Yellow Gaffer Tape,1"X 60 Yards-10% Longer-Heavy Duty Gaffer Floor Tape Matte Finish for Film Schools,Broadcasting Classes,Box-Sealing,Multipurpose,Non-Reflective Easy to Rip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WW3FSX4/re ... F6JG069883
JWils23 liked this
By JWils23
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

westies14 wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:36 am The “fabric” tape you’re looking for is called “gaffer’s tape.”

WELSTIK 1 Pack Yellow Gaffer Tape,1"X 60 Yards-10% Longer-Heavy Duty Gaffer Floor Tape Matte Finish for Film Schools,Broadcasting Classes,Box-Sealing,Multipurpose,Non-Reflective Easy to Rip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WW3FSX4/re ... F6JG069883
Was just going to say the same, looking at those pics it looks like gaffers tape. Which makes sense when you consider gaffers tape is also what wrapped the foam rolls on the Alice frames.
RedSpecial liked this
By EctoLabs
ImperialWalker wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:15 am
EctoLabs wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:38 am When I bought the Charlesworth kit, he wasn't offering decals. I used two layers of standard 19mm yellow electrical tape as that seemed to be a more accurate (and neater) look than painting the stripes on. The tape also weathers nicely if you rub some oil paint into it.
I liked the look of your stripes when I saw them in your other post. I am going for the GB1 version though, so I am wondering if there is some modern tape that would work for that version?

Did you just eye it when you applied yours?

Funny, in all the times I've looked at the photo of the GB1 hero, I never noticed it is gaffer/duct tape rather than electrical. Yeah, I just eyed it, although the good thing with electrical tape is that it's already the right width for the stripes. Gaffer tape maybe a little harder to cut cleanly but will definitely stick better.

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]