Well, on the one hand the Matty trap is ready to go and is designed for play use, so it'd have a degree of strength to it... However, it's very rare these days, and as such extremely expensive unless you're very, very lucky in your searching.

While a prop kit may be a bit more fragile depending on the materials its made from, there's a real sense of achievement in putting something together yourself. :)
I believe if you go with a kit you won’t regret doing so. In addition to having the trap as you want it when you’re done, you’ll have fun working on it and seeing it come together. At least for me, the build itself is the best part. I’m planning to try a trap soon myself for my next project and I think I’m gonna try doing the Charles Worth (Tested guy) 3D printed one so that I’ve got the functionality (electric doors, smoke, sounds). I just need to get myself a 3D printer. Not exactly a scratch build by any stretch but it’s got what I’m looking for and should be fun.
cristovalc, Kingpin liked this
Tommorris22 wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 4:28 am I believe if you go with a kit you won’t regret doing so. In addition to having the trap as you want it when you’re done, you’ll have fun working on it and seeing it come together. At least for me, the build itself is the best part. I’m planning to try a trap soon myself for my next project and I think I’m gonna try doing the Charles Worth (Tested guy) 3D printed one so that I’ve got the functionality (electric doors, smoke, sounds). I just need to get myself a 3D printer. Not exactly a scratch build by any stretch but it’s got what I’m looking for and should be fun.
Depending on how much you see yourself using the 3D printer in the future, Sean will also sell you the printed parts, not normally listed on his Etsy shop.
cristovalc liked this
Can't really add much else here, except that aside from having a really nice electronics setup, the Matty trap is very, very cheap lookin' for what you will be paying. Set aside the $400 and get a kit printed along with all the real metal parts and you'll be much, much happier in the long run.
Is there a consensus on a best kit available these days? The Charlesworth one looks good but I wasn't sure if there was another better kit available somewhere, especially one that includes all of the panels in durable and/or screen accurate materials without the need to print it yourself.
Charlesworth offers all the screen accurate parts with his kit and packaged most of it together in one full order for me when I went through his Etsy store. If you build his full kit with lights, sounds and smoke it's the closest you will get to what the Matty Trap offers, and a bit beyond. The only thing is it's not fully "screen accurate" in that it's one solid piece, and you can't slide the trap out from from its base. BenofKentProps is more accurate in this regard, and I've also heard good things about it and he is wonderful to deal with. Expect delays at the moment with COVID-19 if you would be ordering from outside the UK, for obvious reasons. Throwing Chickens is another great one, but it also seems to all be one solid piece with regards to screws/knobs, etc, albeit very detailed? Don't quote me on this though as I haven't looked fully into their stuff.

Hope that helps.
Couture liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]