By echo419
So my goal for this project is to create a Phoenix type pack with some TVG elements like ejecting rods/bumper and venting. I ordered a BenofKent shell for this project, still waiting on that. I'm using all Clippard pneumatic parts, seems fitting. For the ejecting rods, I'm going to use 1.25" acrylic rods that will be frosted with sand blasting and faced on a lathe. I figured out a way to attach the tubing to air duster cans, still need a lot more testing. If that doesn't work out, I'll machine my own custom attachment to the cans. I'm not trying to make this pack accurate to anything really, just inspired by the Phoenix and TVG pack. I'm a big fan of the Halo video games, hence the screen name, so that's what I'm calling this project. Failure is not an option, haha.

Heres $300 worth of Clippard parts.

Air cylinder and acrylic rod.
Been looking forward to following a build like this for a long time. I think I came across the phenoix pack online some 5 or so years ago and just didn't know these types of functions could be implemented. Good luck and can't wait to see how this turns out.

You...You've earned it. :crunch:
echo419 liked this
By echo419
Thanks. I watched his videos over and over, but I’m gonna go about it a little differently. He used a cable system for the rods, I’m going to use an air cylinder for each rod. I’ll be keeping this thread updated.
SuperHands3869 liked this
Good luck with your build.

Super fitting to use the clippard valves, you're ahead of myself in terms of parts gathered.

For anyone reading who doesn't know, myself and echo419 are both making packs with rod eject systems, but we are using different methods.
Which I think makes this very interesting and will be fun to see the progress.

Like I said good luck, and to paraphrase Count Dooku I'll be looking forward to this.
echo419 liked this
By Jdizzle66
I was using pretty much all the same parts as you have up there when I tried to make a vent system like the Phoenix pack. How did you get the tubing to connect to the cans? I tried several different regulators, but I couldnt get the can to seal air tight so it was constantly leaking. Also had that same actuator and the vent hole was so small that the liquid wouldnt travel through it at a great enough rate to give the exhaust affect I wanted.
echo419 liked this
By echo419
Well I still got a lot of testing to do for reliably, but so far it seems promising. I drilled out the air can nozzle with a #20 drill bit, then tapped it with a 10-32 tap to thread in the brass 1/8" hose barb. Might need to use CA glue it get a non leaking seal but teflon tape is holding up so far. I also modded the top blue plastic head, not pictured, with a bolt that pushes the trigger mechanism down.

Jdizzle66 liked this
By mburkit
I don't think its a good idea to be using canned air like that. I mean, even if your photo you posted, there's a TON of warnings on there about it potentially causing potential harm or death.
echo419 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:14 am Well I still got a lot of testing to do for reliably, but so far it seems promising. I drilled out the air can nozzle with a #20 drill bit, then tapped it with a 10-32 tap to thread in the brass 1/8" hose barb. Might need to use CA glue it get a non leaking seal but teflon tape is holding up so far. I also modded the top blue plastic head, not pictured, with a bolt that pushes the trigger mechanism down.

By Jdizzle66
echo419 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:14 am Well I still got a lot of testing to do for reliably, but so far it seems promising. I drilled out the air can nozzle with a #20 drill bit, then tapped it with a 10-32 tap to thread in the brass 1/8" hose barb. Might need to use CA glue it get a non leaking seal but teflon tape is holding up so far. I also modded the top blue plastic head, not pictured, with a bolt that pushes the trigger mechanism down.

Thats a pretty solid idea, I hope it pans out. My next course of action is to use a small Co2 canister I have from paintballing , put a psi regulator on it and make something like this:

https://www.trinitypaintball.com/Paintb ... -p/186.htm
By echo419
mburkit wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:49 am I don't think its a good idea to be using canned air like that. I mean, even if your photo you posted, there's a TON of warnings on there about it potentially causing potential harm or death.
True, not the safest thing to do. I bet they put the "death" warning because some people sniff it, lol. The 152a in the cans is at 70 psi and flammable only in its liquid form. You'd have to vent the can upside down within 3 feet on a flame to ignite it, yes I did try it. You can use cans with non-flammable 134a, but its about 2-3 times more expensive.
Loving all the creativity, stay safe though guys with all the compressed gasses !

Curious, any thoughts on speaker placment?

I know my whole cyclotron area is going to be busy and in use, My thinking is using two smaller speakers, there is some space up near the powercell or PPD and maybe behind the clippard.

Curious if anyone has ideas for good speaker placment other than the cyclotron ?
By echo419
Hi
I’m using all double action cylinders and 4-way solenoid valves. I got a SDA20x50 air cylinder from amazon, it’s got a 50mm stroke. I’m going with smaller ones for the rods.
By BRD 527
echo419 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 12:28 pm Well, the test works. Cant make too much progress without the shell, hasn't shipped from bok yet.

Awesome! cant want to see everything squared away in the shell, keep up the good work! :love:
Last edited by Kingpin on December 5th, 2020, 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
By Jdizzle66
echo419 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 12:28 pm Well, the test works. Cant make too much progress without the shell, hasn't shipped from bok yet.

Dude, that is so rad. Have you tried the vent system yet?
Last edited by Kingpin on December 5th, 2020, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
echo419 liked this
By echo419
They are double acting cylinders with a 4-way solenoid valve. So when the valve is activated it will force out the cylinder rod, then retract when the valve is deactivated all using the gas pressure.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]