By JWils23
Q-man wrote: September 5th, 2021, 12:09 am
JWils23 wrote: August 4th, 2020, 9:54 am

Thanks bud! Nope, they’re actual Legris elbows but they’re 3/16 instead of 4mm. Just slightly bigger but still hold the 4mm tubing well. There’s a guy on eBay who sells them pretty regularly, in fact he just put up a bunch last night. I went through and found the ones that looked the best (minimal cracking/wear) and snagged them.

I went the same route we were probably bidding against each other, and yes they do hold nicely but as I wait for parts. I found if you carefully twist a 6-32 into 4mm tubing(about 1/4'' then cut off excess) the 3/16 elbows will act like a 4mm.
As I wait for the rest of my parts watching builds come together so nicely really helps, beautifully done. Image
That’s a great idea! I just took a small strip of gaffers tape and wrapped it around the end of the tubing, that gave it enough friction to hold things snuggly. Your idea is much more professional though, I may adopt that.
By nevenkman
JWils23 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm So here we go, took a little longer than expected because I took so many pictures I had to wade through them and delete things that were duplicates or seemed redundant. I have a lot of pictures so this will be a long post but I hope you all enjoy. I want to say thank you again to everyone on this forum who has contributed to this thread, let me pick their brains in PM's and made build threads in the past that I could pour over looking for details, tips and tricks. To Chris for making such an awesome shell and genuinely being such an awesome guy who I've had the pleasure of getting to know over the past year and a half. RJ over at Freeky Geeky who made several of the aluminum parts including the entire thrower. Eric G for also providing a number of beautiful aluminum parts on this pack. Ron and Arron for some phenomenal lineage parts and the great dry rubs and labels. Doug for the great electronics kits, especially the incandescant LED kit which just looks amazing. The Finchers for the beautiful ribbon cable which makes the GB1 pack. Tommy Medford for the red and yellow Nycoil tubing. And last but not least, a big thank you to AJ for running this site and allowing someone like myself to document this project. Not to mention doing such a great job of stocking the store with great parts and lately the awesome replica parts he's been able to get produced. If I forgot to list anyone I'm very sorry, I tried to keep detailed notes of who and where I got things but please know I'm very grateful!

With that said, lets get after it! I was going for a "Spenglers workbench" kind of a vibe, I grabbed some extra parts I have and scattered them around. Also got some of my uniform stuff out to litter the workbench, I figure these guys would probably have stuff scattered about at all times. I'm by no means a photographer and I took all these on my iphone but I did play with the aperture a bit and adjusted to a warmer setting to try and mimic what we saw in the film. Enjoy!

Let me know if there is anything else anyone would like picutres of, inside the shell, mobo etc and I'll gladly take more. Once again thank all of you for being along for the ride on this one with me. It's been a life long dream to build my own full size proton pack. To anyone who browses this thread or this forum who thinks they can't build their own, I felt the same way but trust me you certainly can and I'm proof of that!
Just an absolute beautiful pack and build. Inspiring. Bravo!
JWils23 liked this
By JWils23
Thank you! It really was a blast, I can’t wait to have some fun with it over the Halloween season!
By Petzrick
Your pack is incredible. A few other people mentioned this, but the details really stand out and make this look professional. I'm still working on my shell and and I've looked over your build quite a few times this year as a reference. Thank you!
JWils23 liked this
By JWils23
Petzrick wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:10 pm Your pack is incredible. A few other people mentioned this, but the details really stand out and make this look professional. I'm still working on my shell and and I've looked over your build quite a few times this year as a reference. Thank you!
Thank you very much! If anything, I’m glad my build thread is contributing to new builds and giving something back the fandom I love so much. I can’t tell you how many hours I spend browsing build threads on here looking for ideas or tips. If there’s anything I can answer for you from my build don’t be afraid to shoot me a PM!
Petzrick, tobycj liked this
By Allghostsmatter
okay, team. I am new to building proton packs. I am still waiting on the rest of my pack parts to come from overseas "Benofkentprops" by Ben Smith.

I've heard the term "hero pack". What does that mean? What's the difference between all the differently named proton packs, shouldnt they all look the same, and finally, is there a place here on GBfans, that will show me how to assemble my proton pack, what paint to use, what kind of glue to use, stuff like that? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
By jonogunn
Allghostsmatter wrote: June 12th, 2022, 4:36 pm okay, team. I am new to building proton packs. I am still waiting on the rest of my pack parts to come from overseas "Benofkentprops" by Ben Smith.

I've heard the term "hero pack". What does that mean? What's the difference between all the differently named proton packs, shouldnt they all look the same, and finally, is there a place here on GBfans, that will show me how to assemble my proton pack, what paint to use, what kind of glue to use, stuff like that? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
From wiki:
Hero
Hero props are the more detailed pieces intended for close inspection by the camera or audience. The hero prop may have legible writing, lights, moving parts, or other attributes or functions missing from a standard prop.

A hero prop phaser from the Star Trek franchise, for example, might include a depressible trigger and a light-up muzzle and display panel (all of which would make the hero prop more expensive and less durable).

The term is also used to describe items used by the main character.
In the case of proton packs I believe there is a Super Hero pack which was the only one with a scrolling bargraph on the wand and used in a close up shot in the 3rd act of the GB1. I think it was the first prototype too.

Then there are the Hero packs predominantly used throughout the movie which are quite detailed and the ones you see the most. They weight about 50lbs

Then you have the semi-hero packs used in a lot of GB2. They have some cosmetic differences to the hero pack, a more angled vhook for the wand so the actors can grab it easier, and battery on the outside of the motherboard. It also weighed a lot less as requested by Bill Murray who complained the packs were too heavy.

Finally you have the stunt packs made out of foam. Very little detail, static lights, no Alice frame. They are lightweight and used during action scenes where the actors must tumble and fall about.

There’s a YouTube channel that goes into details of all the packs used citing the differences.

I suggest you check that out to determine the details of the pack you wish to build. You can PM me for more questions if you like so as to not hijack this thread.
Allghostsmatter liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]