A couple of unrelated questions:

1. What tool do you guys use to put in your rivets? I’m considering the Milwaukee rivet tool that Home Depot sells but I’m not sure if I want to drop $250+ for a tool that will have limited use.

2. Are there any guides out there for making your own ribbon cable? Since I’m not building my pack to match any movie pack, I’ve thought about making my own ribbon cable. 16AWG wire isn’t that hard to find, but I’m unsure about the process.
Something like this will work fine for the motherboard rivets.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-rive ... 38353.html

It takes quite a bit of muscle ( I had to use both hands to "squeeze" it) but works fine and it's cheap.
They probably sell one similar on amazon too. I think I got mine for about $10.

As far as ribbon cables go, I don't know the exact method but I remember seeing pictures of someone making some sort of custom jig with 2x4's that would stretch the wires straight and get the spacing correct. With like screws on each end to attach them firm and tight. And then I believe they used some sort of heat shrink plastic sleeve that would be sealed with a heat gun. Honestly if you are just making one or two packs you probably will spend more in materials than just buying a community made ribbon cable, but more power to ya if you want to try!
jpetrutis81, BRD 527 liked this
The cable is a tough one - depends on the quality of the final output you want!

To make it *properly* you need to lay out each wire under tension and laminate (with heat!) a proper cable plastic over it. This is done professionally with a proper jig, but you could make one yourself with a drill, some wood, and some clamps and weights. The key part is finding the right wires and the right plastic.

The cheaper way is just sticking it between two sticky plastic sheets.

Frankly, for the cost of building it you can probably just buy one of the excellent reproductions out there.
abritinthebay wrote:The cable is a tough one - depends on the quality of the final output you want!

To make it *properly* you need to lay out each wire under tension and laminate (with heat!) a proper cable plastic over it. This is done professionally with a proper jig, but you could make one yourself with a drill, some wood, and some clamps and weights. The key part is finding the right wires and the right plastic.

The cheaper way is just sticking it between two sticky plastic sheets.

Frankly, for the cost of building it you can probably just buy one of the excellent reproductions out there.
Yeah, I found a good one on eBay for $60 shipped. I’m very happy with it. Image
I made mine in the same process of stretching them on a board. I coated the board with packing tape and applied a very light coat of silicone spray as a release agent. I then applied E600 glue carefully between the cables, and clamped a second board in top also with tape and silicone.
It's still on my pack today.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]