This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Hi so I’ve done some research on this forum and read that Rothco Alice frames aren’t good quality to use and I should go with a different.

https://www.gorillasurplus.com/rothco-g ... ith-straps

Unfortunately I just bought one from a local army surplus store that only has exchange or store credit before finding this Fox LC-1 one on amazon. Is this more accurate? It’s cheaper too..

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0045IUD5U/ref ... wEbVJBXSFY

I never shop at the army surplus store so i wouldn’t know what to do with the store credit...
Hey. I've purchased both Rothco and Fox frames. The Fox brand frame is thinner and flimsier than Rothco, but I liked the strap material better on the Fox.

Either would be fine for a Spirit Halloween Pack or a stunt pack, but I wouldn't suggest them for a hero or semi-hero pack. I ended up buying a genuine vintage LC-1 from Omaha Surplus, they are expensive, but if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right.
RedSpecial liked this
Ectotainment wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:22 pm Hey. I've purchased both Rothco and Fox frames. The Fox brand frame is thinner and flimsier than Rothco, but I liked the strap material better on the Fox.

Either would be fine for a Spirit Halloween Pack or a stunt pack, but I wouldn't suggest them for a hero or semi-hero pack. I ended up buying a genuine vintage LC-1 from Omaha Surplus, they are expensive, but if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right.
My pack is made out of foam core/Eva foam with an MDF motherboard. It’s heavier than I thought it would be but it could weigh exactly as it should. I have no frame of reference so I don’t know if it would be okay with my pack. Would it help if I posted photos or something of it?
I had a real scare using a rothco frame with my first pack that resulted in a ripped flight suit and a natsy injury to my back when the vertical bar snapped at an event, while i was wearing the pack so I may be biased here but personally I would steer clear of all of the aftermarket reproduction frames and go with an original one.

If you have a GB1 style pack and accuracy is a concern then it can be difficult and a bit more expensive to find an original lc-1 frame but they do pop up fairly regularly.
If accuracy isnt as much of a concern then lc-2 frames are far easier to get a hold of for a good price.
Often times cheaper than the repros.

If you're in the US there should be plenty of surplus stores that have them, if youre outside the US like me, the best bet is ebay.

if you go the ebay route its best to search for alice packs themselves as its normally cheaper Ive found to buy the whole kit rather than the frame by itself on there and you may just get lucky and find an original lc-1 paired with later parts as they were often swapped out or mixed with parts from different eras.
Its just luck of the draw though.
Sometimes everything on there will be overpriced, especially if the seller knows the link to GB but if youre prepared to wait and check regularly it usually doesnt take long to grab a bargain.

Genuine frames with packs regularly pop up for 30-40 dollars, normally on lc2 frames.
Although I managed to snag a set with both medium and large pack, lc1 frame as well as all the lc2 strapping and a set of lc1 shoulder straps about a year ago for just over 40 so they are out there.
jonogunn, Kingpin liked this
Thanks for the replies. I haven’t officially weighed it but i don’t think it’s close to 25 lbs (I don’t have the wand or lights installed yet).

I also don’t want to spend too much and I live in Canada and I have not found any original Alice frames anywhere. Just the rothco in surplus stores and the fox on amazon. The rothco sells for $60 Canadian dollars so it makes me super jealous that you guys can find original ones for $40 :(

The only upper hand we have it seems is that we self pucks for the spacers for cheap everywhere here :)

I would go with the fox just for the strap color accuracy but I having surplus store store credit is useless to me other than buying some boots maybe so I guess I’ll just stick with the rothco and hope for the best!

Thanks guys
I am in the same boat with my Pack, and I am in Canada as well, it is really hard getting a lot of the stuff here, or even shipped here without it costing well over $100, I am searching for a Alice frame but I feel I am going to be stuck with getting a rothco.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

ArdentProps wrote: March 1st, 2020, 9:28 pm I am in the same boat with my Pack, and I am in Canada as well, it is really hard getting a lot of the stuff here, or even shipped here without it costing well over $100, I am searching for a Alice frame but I feel I am going to be stuck with getting a rothco.
Yah if you buy one on gbfans it'll be $70-80 USD for shipping.

I've done my research and for new ones it's either $60 for a rothco at surplus stores or $53 for a fox on amazon.ca

if you're looking for a 3d print for a wand + v-hook this guy on ebay is your best bet
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ghostbusters-Pr ... SwaaJeV91l

for only $65 CAD you get all that. He's basically a nice guy who mass produces these for us to complete our packs at an affoardable price. anyone else it would cost $100-200
Ectotainment wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:22 pm Hey. I've purchased both Rothco and Fox frames. The Fox brand frame is thinner and flimsier than Rothco, but I liked the strap material better on the Fox.

I see these names thrown around and have a guess at what they mean but can you tell me what exactly is a stunt pack and a hero pack?

jonogunn wrote: March 1st, 2020, 10:51 pm
ArdentProps wrote: March 1st, 2020, 9:28 pm I am in the same boat with my Pack, and I am in Canada as well, it is really hard getting a lot of the stuff here, or even shipped here without it costing well over $100, I am searching for a Alice frame but I feel I am going to be stuck with getting a rothco.
Yah if you buy one on gbfans it'll be $70-80 USD for shipping.

I've done my research and for new ones it's either $60 for a rothco at surplus stores or $53 for a fox on amazon.ca

if you're looking for a 3d print for a wand + v-hook this guy on ebay is your best bet
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ghostbusters-Pr ... SwaaJeV91l

for only $65 CAD you get all that. He's basically a nice guy who mass produces these for us to complete our packs at an affoardable price. anyone else it would cost $100-200
Ya I may end up just getting one of them from Amazon, and thanks for the link I actually already have my wand printed out, I have an Ender 5 plus and an Ender 5 so I am printing my pack and everything on them, the wand I printed is really detailed, and the pack I am printing is my own model I made in Fusion 360.
jonogunn wrote:

I see these names thrown around and have a guess at what they mean but can you tell me what exactly is a stunt pack and a hero pack?
The hero packs were the packs in GB1 and later refitted for GB2, which had fully animated lights, fiberglass shells with a lot of aluminium components and aluminium throwers. where as stunt packs where made out of foam and had static lights.
One of the best places to spot a stunt pack is the scene where stay puft has been set alight and the guys duck into a small crevice to take shelter.
You'll see the ion arm flex as they lean against the wall.

There were also semi hero packs in GB2 which had fiberglass shells with a lot of the components cast in instead of being separate parts made out of aluminium, fiberglass throwers and much more simplified electronic setups in order to cut down on weight as the hero packs were really heavy, due in part to the large, complex setup of electrical components and batteries needed to operate the light sequences.
jonogunn liked this
So I tried on the Rothco Alice Frame. I don’t know if it’s because the centre bar on this thing is reversed or all Alice frames feel like this but it’s quite uncomfortable against my spine. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also generally how tight should the straps be? Should I be tightening it all the way to ensure it rides high and is tight against me?
It is due to the centre bar being reversed.
The indent makes the bolt sit proud more than it would on a genuine frame.
I had the same issue but adding some thick foam to the centre bar will help.

I usually have my straps sinched up pretty tight so that the weight is best distributed but not so much that it feels constricting.
The top of the padding on the straps should also sit just under the frame which will help with comfort and make sure the pack is sitting at the proper height.

Having it too low can wreak havoc on your back due the way it pulls down on you.
RedSpecial wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 4:14 am It is due to the centre bar being reversed.
The indent makes the bolt sit proud more than it would on a genuine frame.
I had the same issue but adding some thick foam to the centre bar will help.

I usually have my straps sinched up pretty tight so that the weight is best distributed but not so much that it feels constricting.
The top of the padding on the straps should also sit just under the frame which will help with comfort and make sure the pack is sitting at the proper height.

Having it too low can wreak havoc on your back due the way it pulls down on you.
thanks for the tips. can you explain a bit more what you mean the padding on the straps should sit under the frame? I'm having trouble picturing how this looks...

to my understanding the frame naturally hangs lower than the top of your shoulders so it's not possible for the straps to be lower than it. or am I understanding this wrong?
Sorry, I probably just wasn't very clear with that.
Here's my frame.
The straps are tightened at the top so that the padding is sitting just underneath the top bar.

The pack should actually sit high enough that the top bar is slightly above your shoulders so that if you reach back when you're wearing it you can feel the underside of the top bar, and a bit of a gap between it and your shoulder.

This will also put the pack at the best height to evenly distribute the weight between the straps on your shoulders and the kidney pad on your back at well, your kidneys [emoji14]

RedSpecial wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm Sorry, I probably just wasn't very clear with that.
Here's my frame.
The straps are tightened at the top so that the padding is sitting just underneath the top bar.

The pack should actually sit high enough that the top bar is slightly above your shoulders so that if you reach back when you're wearing it you can feel the underside of the top bar, and a bit of a gap between it and your shoulder.

This will also put the pack at the best height to evenly distribute the weight between the straps on your shoulders and the kidney pad on your back at well, your kidneys [emoji14]

ah yes thank you now i see what you mean. thanks!

Although from my own research looking at his res screen caps the frames seems to vary in high on the actors which is quite frustrating lol

also I'm not sure about the original alice frames but the straps on this rothco keeps loosening up on it's own which is quite frustrating..
That's yet another issue with the aftermarket copies.
Quite a dangerous fault, really.
I had to tie a knot in mine to stop that and eventually I permanently fixed them in place with a rivet to stop them from being able to come undone.
Yet another part that looks fairly close to the real deal but is far inferior in quality, unfortunately [emoji53]

You're right, The height of the packs did vary on the actors, most likely due to them not pulling the webbing at the release tab down all the way when they put the pack on.
that's probably why they complained about the weight.
Not that they wouldn't have been heavy anyway if the weight was properly distributed but it can't have helped.

Personally though, I always wear my pack high just to minimise discomfort and fatigue as you really feel it the day after a con.

jonogunn liked this
RedSpecial wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:11 pm That's yet another issue with the aftermarket copies.
Quite a dangerous fault, really.
I had to tie a knot in mine to stop that and eventually I permanently fixed them in place with a rivet to stop them from being able to come undone.
Yet another part that looks fairly close to the real deal but is far inferior in quality, unfortunately [emoji53]

You're right, The height of the packs did vary on the actors, most likely due to them not pulling the webbing at the release tab down all the way when they put the pack on.
that's probably why they complained about the weight.
Not that they wouldn't have been heavy anyway if the weight was properly distributed but it can't have helped.

Personally though, I always wear my pack high just to minimise discomfort and fatigue as you really feel it the day after a con.
Yah I saw the thread about the rivet. Great idea.

I finally screwed it on and I think it’s at a good height. And the middle bar doesn’t seem to be an issue right now as it’s no longer in contact with my back even with the bolt on.

My motherboard is painted and drying right now but as soon as it’s done I’ll post pics of my pack so far

But my issue now is the top bar. No matter if I have it riding high or low with foam wrapped around it it’s uncomfortable. I dunno I may try adding a crap load of padding or something.

Sorry for being annoying you Red, I feel like I always have a new issue with every post lol. I appreciate all the replies you have given me and everyone else as well
No problem at all.
These things take some tweaking.

You can always add more foam on top the pipe insulation foam as they did for GB2.
Something nice and dense like neoprene foam will probably help although these things are never complety comfortable.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]