I wondering if anyone here has got any tips to upgrade lights and sounds of the Spirit packs to look more movie-accurate as I'm interested in making an affordable (and lighter) alternative to what I'll be receiving in a few weeks.

I'm not very handy when it comes to soldering, but recommendations, pictures and diagrams would be a big help.

Thanks!
I stripped off all decals and gutted most of the interior of the pack and thrower first. I added some hot glue "welds" where it was necessary and cleaned up the pack as best as I could. A little jb weld on the speaker hole to cover that mess up. I left on all tubing and stock connectors. I may change those out later but for the initial process I just taped them off and painted the whole thing flat black. I then touched up some of the nooks and crannies by hand and very lightly clear coated it. I don't think these pack look very good with an even sheen because the corners are so sharp and a weathering effect takes some of that down a bit.

The nuts and bolts are just stuff from the local hardware store. Anything close to the original stuff was good enough for me. It'll drive you crazy trying to find the things you need in 80% scale.

I ordered a 3d printed gun track and vhook from a seller on etsy and I got the gb1 ribbon from Fincher Technologies. They make a scaled down version just for these packs. The mobo is plexiglass. It works great for this and keeps the overall weight down.

The light kit is spongeface's. These are great kits and are compatible with a couple sound kits including the GBFans and the Matty wand if you choose to go that route.

These can be really great packs if you put a little time in. If you're looking for an alternative to heavy full size packs because of back problems or just for cons and parades, I'd recommend picking one up.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin, doctorevil30564, NickFame13 and 2 others liked this
FANTASTIC! Did you replace the speaker holes somewhere else? My pack looks VERY similar to this one except I haven't covered the speaker holes yet because I have no clue how to hook up different light or sound. The only other big difference is that you've added the blue cable that connects to the injectors. Did you 3D print that bottom piece and replace the red cable? How'd you do that? I'd love to add this mod to my pack as well!

Side note, I LOVE that you took the time and effort to cut the holes out of the N-Filter vent and used mesh underneath. I did the same and it was a huge pain in my neck. And my girlfriend wasn't too happy about me using her old pasta strainer for the mesh lol!
themikereda wrote:FANTASTIC! Did you replace the speaker holes somewhere else? My pack looks VERY similar to this one except I haven't covered the speaker holes yet because I have no clue how to hook up different light or sound. The only other big difference is that you've added the blue cable that connects to the injectors. Did you 3D print that bottom piece and replace the red cable? How'd you do that? I'd love to add this mod to my pack as well!

Side note, I LOVE that you took the time and effort to cut the holes out of the N-Filter vent and used mesh underneath. I did the same and it was a huge pain in my neck. And my girlfriend wasn't too happy about me using her old pasta strainer for the mesh lol!
I only redirected the speaker the other direction for now. The new sound set-up is coming once I settle on a clean (and lightweight) method for doing so. There are compatible sound kits out there but I'm trying to avoid having to use that "blue brick." I want to keep this thing as light as possible.

The addition of the blue tube off of the rear injector was actually pretty simple. I just dremeled off the bottom part for the red tube and cleaned it up as best as I could with a hobby knife. Once I had it flush with the body I just hand molded some 2 part plumbers putty into the shape I needed and applied it. I kept the texture rough on the body of the cyclotron and overlapped it in parts for better adhesion. I had some spare blue wire so I cut a couple short peices of dowel, glued them on to the pack and wrapped the bases in spare 1/4" loom that is used for the green tube on the front on the pack.

A dremel or any other rotary cutting tool is your best friend on these things. It definitely made everything I've wanted to do on mine very simple to accomplish.
themikereda liked this
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 10:22 am I ordered a 3d printed gun track and vhook from a seller on etsy
The thrower rail and v-hook set you ordered, was it this one from Buster Props? https://www.etsy.com/listing/566559817/ ... een-proton

I'm thinking about getting it for my pack and was wondering about the quality.
Heatley2001 liked this
It's not exactly it and after looking I don't immediately see the one that I bought. This is the same seller though. The item that you have linked may be an updated model since this is a track made to adapt around the current peg on the wand. I had to remove mine with a dremel and sand it flush.

Everything else is pretty much the same and to answer your question mine has held up just fine and I haven't had any problems
EgonMacGyver liked this
By greg883
CountDeMonet wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am Easy lighting upgrade using an Arduino on my github.

https://github.com/CountDeMonet/Arduino ... itMinimial

As with anything diy it gets more complex the more features you add. I'd suggest starting with the lights then add on.
+1 I upgraded mine this way. I also kept the Spirit "thrower" lights and sound.
http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3#p4902093
CountDeMonet liked this
By Spongeface
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 9:54 pm ...
The new sound set-up is coming once I settle on a clean (and lightweight) method for doing so. There are compatible sound kits out there but I'm trying to avoid having to use that "blue brick." I want to keep this thing as light as possible.

I also want to have a lighter pack and am working on a sound board and speaker mount for my pack that will work with the spirit battery pack (but could also last longer if you want the size/weight of the blue brick.) Should have an in-form factor prototype done in a couple of weeks, now it is just a kludge of multiple boards...

Spongeface wrote:
I also want to have a lighter pack and am working on a sound board and speaker mount for my pack that will work with the spirit battery pack (but could also last longer if you want the size/weight of the blue brick.) Should have an in-form factor prototype done in a couple of weeks, now it is just a kludge of multiple boards...

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Are you adding any additional sounds from a board or are you keeping the "stock" spirit sound?

For gods sake, if you ever offer this, take my money!!!
Last edited by Kingpin on July 24th, 2018, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote codes
chris8414 wrote:Nice, where did you get the belt gizmo?!
I got it from a seller on eBay. It's not that great actually. I heavily modified it from how it started and now it looks good in pictures and all that but up close it's pretty shoddy. It's a fill in on my belt until I have time to do one correctly.
By Spongeface
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote: July 24th, 2018, 10:51 am
Spongeface wrote:

... image deleted ...
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Are you adding any additional sounds from a board or are you keeping the "stock" spirit sound?

For gods sake, if you ever offer this, take my money!!!

I am also working on a wand light kit (bar graph, switches and additional wand lights) that will control this board and can coordinate with the powercell/cyclotron lights.
No spirit specific sounds, just leverage existing pack sounds: Pack power up/down, Proton Wand firing, overheat beeps, venting sound, Slime thrower select (from TVG) and Slime thrower firing.
Slime thrower operation can be disabled for proton pack only lights and sounds.
By GBfan77
NoLarryOnlyZuul wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 10:22 am I stripped off all decals and gutted most of the interior of the pack and thrower first. I added some hot glue "welds" where it was necessary and cleaned up the pack as best as I could. A little jb weld on the speaker hole to cover that mess up. I left on all tubing and stock connectors. I may change those out later but for the initial process I just taped them off and painted the whole thing flat black. I then touched up some of the nooks and crannies by hand and very lightly clear coated it. I don't think these pack look very good with an even sheen because the corners are so sharp and a weathering effect takes some of that down a bit.

The nuts and bolts are just stuff from the local hardware store. Anything close to the original stuff was good enough for me. It'll drive you crazy trying to find the things you need in 80% scale.

I ordered a 3d printed gun track and vhook from a seller on etsy and I got the gb1 ribbon from Fincher Technologies. They make a scaled down version just for these packs. The mobo is plexiglass. It works great for this and keeps the overall weight down.

The light kit is spongeface's. These are great kits and are compatible with a couple sound kits including the GBFans and the Matty wand if you choose to go that route.
What size Alice Frame did you use?
chris8414 wrote:Hey this is off topic but where did you get the PKE Holder, and does it work well with the utility belt? Does it hold the PKE snug? Thanks for the help!
The pke holster is a tape measure holder with a top, middle strap. It has to be heavily customized with a knife and some dye or paint but it does keep it pretty secure.
By hutto
Did we ever figure out a better alternative to the wand tip besides hose or, glitter tube?

What size is needed? I was so burnt out from modding that, I never changed the tip.

I was always afraid the hose would warp, and the glitter tube would shatter.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]