Theoderic wrote:
Batfly wrote:Wow Theoderic, this comment, just wow. Thanks a ton!

Just a tidbit of info: Every single progress post averaged about 3 hours to make. These comments of people getting use and enjoyment out of this thread makes it all worth while! I'm actually touched.

VS: not sure what I'll make the slime blower out of. Still very much in the research phase of that. Not much is conducive to making it out of styrene except the little boxes, but that might even be cheaper and easier to use tin flashing or sheet metal. Weight reduction will be the main factor. For the tanks I'm thinking of using bollard covers. They are the plastic rounded top sleeve covers that go over those concrete pylons in parking lots or in front of stores.
You're welcome :)

Funfact is; i've just recently stumbled across a pretty interesting thread over at the RPF, regarding constructing very impressivly shaped and seamlessly rounded helmets from styrene, using some very innovative pepakura-based-technique. Maybe you haven't heard from that already (might have happened from one styrene wizard to the other) and this could be helpful with you upcoming project, so please take a look at:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t ... ost2442205

so he e.g. can make things like these

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=159800

Greetings!
Yes, I know of pepakura methods. There were at one time a few years ago pepakura proton pack plans floating around this forum. There was some sort of discrepancy and the author pulled the files and asked anyone who had them to please not share.

I'll check out those links when I have time. I want to make daft punk helmets eventually, so this could come in handy. Thanks :)
Sorry for this very late comment... BUT THAT'S A BIG WOW!!!

I Still haven't finish mine, and I'm thinking about making another one for my niece with your method, even if I know that I won't have the time for another Pack.

But honestly, a big THANK YOU for sharing this!!! :-D
the0x wrote:Not sure if I missed it but what was the final weight
You didn't miss anything as it nor i have been to a scale in some time. Lol
Etigo wrote:Sorry for this very late comment... BUT THAT'S A BIG WOW!!!

I Still haven't finish mine, and I'm thinking about making another one for my niece with your method, even if I know that I won't have the time for another Pack.

But honestly, a big THANK YOU for sharing this!!! :-D
Thank you for the kinds words and glad you are getting use of the thread!
DarlieBrewster wrote:What is impressive is not just the amazing detail in all the hand rendered parts but the extensive photographing of every stage. That kind of documentation should really get appreciation as this forum is absolutely nothing without the participation and kindness of it's members . Thank you Batfly.
Thank you! I've learned to harness my ocd for good. Seriously.
Alright, update time. Around early December the fiancee and I wanted to make picture Christmas cards. We decided to be Ghostbusters in the cards. While suiting up I learned over forward to put my pack on with the straps loose. I do this so it rests on my back while I tighten the straps and then stand up. Well, the thrower wiggled loose from the V-hook and fell on the hardwood floor! The rear handle broke off and the plasma tube shattered. Fake welds also broke off around the rear front handles. An exploitive storm insued. I didn't get pictures of the damage as it was too depressing. I did have a spare plasmas tube from blowing up the first board though. Strange how things work out.

I sucked up my pain, picked up the pieces of the broken welds, put them in a ziploc bag, grabbed my concerned looking lady, and barely balanced the thrower parts together for the shot. The card came out great, but you can see the missing weld if you look close enough. You can also see the shattered mess in the acrylic tube. Looks like a damn slushy in there!

So it sat awhile over the holidays and following months. Then the next major event, Slime-a-palooza 2018 on St. Patty's day, was fast approaching. At the end of February I saw the weather was going to be in the 50's. Painting weather!

February 25th I took the thrower apart and removed the shattered plasma tube and acrylic wand. Also roughed up the areas to be glued and gorilla glued on the rear handle. As it was curing I found the bag of weld shrapnel and dry fitted them to see if they were even usable. I feared I'd have to take the paint down on the area and redo the welds. Nope! They fit near perfect. I used gorilla glue and secured them in placed. Not too shabby!

I let it sit for two days till I had off work again, which, luckily, coincided with the warmer weather.

I removed the clippard valve and carefully masked off the dry rub decals making sure no sticky side of the tape touched any. Also taped over the green hose, switches, bar graph, brass fitting, knobs and vent. Then I sprayed some very very short sweeping bursts of satin black spray paint. It came out great except there are slight variations off old and new paint where it was masked off. I rubbed these transitions down slightly with 1200 grit patience-testing-annoyance-paper. Then slightly buffed it with a damp paper towel. Looks worn, like extra weathering. Not ideal, but not pissed.

I also masked of the decals on the n-filter to touch up the bottom of it. Somehow too much paint came off it's welds. It turned out great as well.

While the weather was playing nice, I decided to... weather the decals and hoses. Being all shiny and new made it look like a toy to me.

My technique involves spraying a quick burst onto some paper at point blank range. Then I just dab a finger into it and quickly rub most of the paint off on a dry section of paper. Then I touch the paint to what I want weathered in a sweeping/streaking motion so it's not just a blob of paint or fingerprint.
Did the same for the hoses. Grimmed it up nicely.

ImageImage
LESS ITS MORE WITH WEATHERING!!! This a subtle affair and can build up quickly. When you think its almost done, stop!

I love love love how it came out!

In the last few weeks I've just made a few more dings and scratches here and there to further weather it. Again, less is more.

Super happy with it. Almost glad it dropped cause now areas of the thrower that got worn down from final reassembly are touched up and looking great.

In other great news, I've been appointed to a position in our SoCom group (social media comity). I'm in charge of our Snapchat account. So, add WindyCityGBs if you have Snapchat and see behind the scenes antics and shenanigans of events and more! Must have the 's' on the end when searching or nothing comes up.

Happy St. Patty's day!
DarlieBrewster, feevrt, MasterOod and 1 others liked this
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Bad Ass!! Talented mofo aren’t ya!?!
Thanks! That's what people keep telling me. [emoji14]
Time for one of those u brackets i have seen around here, keeps the wand attached all angles, either that or do the bungie method ;)

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]