By ovwthrillseekr
Hey everyone,

So I just wanted to get some opinions on the Ghostbusters 2 Proton Stream. I reprogrammed my GBFans Sound Board chip by replacing the normal GB1 Proton Stream sound effect with the GB2 Proton Stream and added a post vent startup after the overheat/vent sequence.

From Croesus' sound files, I chose "Game Stream Sound Enhanced" to use as my GB2 Proton Stream. You can clearly hear the start up sound followed by the proton stream when firing:

Originally, i found that "Proton Stream 2" from Croesus' sound files had the start up sound upon firing but it was more overlapped with the stream and not as distinguishable. If you listen closely, you can hear the hum of the startup but again, it's not as clearly distinguishable:

You might be saying to yourself, "That Proton Stream sounds like the original Proton Stream from the GBFans sound board", but it isn't. Here is the original Proton Stream sound:

So here is my dilemma...

All of the Ghostbusters 2 Proton Streams mods I've found from other sound modifications on YouTube seem to use "Proton Stream 2" over the "Game Stream Sound Enhanced". I don't know what sound file they use exactly but the majority of what I could find didn't have a clear startup/fire that the "Game Stream Sound Enhanced" sound file has. They seem to use the overlap sound file from "Proton Stream 2".

So.... Am I deaf?

When I watch the courtroom scene, the startup sound is clearly identifiable upon firing. The ring of the start up sound (when firing) may be longer than "Game Stream Sound Enhanced" but I'm ok with that. Here is the scene for reference (Listen around 2:14 nd 2:49 mark):

Which sound file 1. "Game Stream Sound Enhanced" or 2. "Proton Stream 2" sound is more accurate to you? :cool:
By csullivan1980
I always preferred the GB2 proton steam sfx to the GB1
By ovwthrillseekr
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I have the gb2 file in mp3 format. Check out my build thread and let me know if you want it
I did. Yours sounds like "Proton Stream 2" to me. The startup sound isn't as clear as the "Game Stream Sound Enhanced" sound file when firing but it is there. The GB2 movie stream seems to have a more clearly defined start up sound (to me at least). I'm more than likely going to stick with the "Game Stream Sound Enhanced" sound file. I was just curious as to what people's opinions were.
I see what you mean. To me it isn't the start up sound as such, I think its because of the confined area. When they fire at the slime wall outside it doesn't have the "burst" at the beginning and sounds more like the original streams from GB1. I think the sounds heard in the courtroom are because its an enclosed space
By ovwthrillseekr
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I see what you mean. To me it isn't the start up sound as such, I think its because of the confined area. When they fire at the slime wall outside it doesn't have the "burst" at the beginning and sounds more like the original streams from GB1. I think the sounds heard in the courtroom are because its an enclosed space
Yea I definitely can't hear the initial startup sound when they fire during that scene at the museum (unlike the courtroom scene):

I'm not sure if it's because of the "enclosed/confined space" so much as it was an oversight by the movie sound team. The streams from both scenes are clearly different. I would think the Proton Stream sound would be the same regardless of whether they were inside, outside, enclosed, confined, or open. But who knows? :whatever:

So I guess when I say "Ghostbusters 2 Proton Stream" I'm referring to the stream sound from the courtroom scene. I'm still learning towards "Game Stream Sound Enhanced".

Great pack build by the way VS!
By Dougger
ovwthrillseekr wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I see what you mean. To me it isn't the start up sound as such, I think its because of the confined area. When they fire at the slime wall outside it doesn't have the "burst" at the beginning and sounds more like the original streams from GB1. I think the sounds heard in the courtroom are because its an enclosed space
Yea I definitely can't hear the initial startup sound when they fire during that scene at the museum (unlike the courtroom scene):

I'm not sure if it's because of the "enclosed/confined space" so much as it was an oversight by the movie sound team. The streams from both scenes are clearly different. I would think the Proton Stream sound would be the same regardless of whether they were inside, outside, enclosed, confined, or open. But who knows? :whatever:

So I guess when I say "Ghostbusters 2 Proton Stream" I'm referring to the stream sound from the courtroom scene. I'm still learning towards "Game Stream Sound Enhanced".

Great pack build by the way VS!
Interesting tidbit: In the tv spots for GBII there is the start up sound at the museum.

By pyhasanon
I've been playing around with Audacity since we talked yesterday, and I'll see if I can come up with something later when I get home from work...
By Dr.D
Just want to point out the start up sound preceding the proton stream is actually the start up used in The Real Ghostbusters. If you listen closely the pack start up noise in the cartoon is noticeably different from the film sound.
By pyhasanon
Dr.D wrote:Just want to point out the start up sound preceding the proton stream is actually the start up used in The Real Ghostbusters. If you listen closely the pack start up noise in the cartoon is noticeably different from the film sound.
Ooohhh, thanks for that, I will need to look up some sound bites and piece stuff together and see what I come up with...
By ovwthrillseekr
Just to keep this thread on track, "Proton Stream 2" and "Game Stream Sound Enhanced' seem close to the GB2 sound heard in the Courtroom Scene. At the end of the day, everyone hears differently and it's all what you prefer. If anyone has any other GB2 Proton Stream sound files they would like to share, please feel free to post it here! :)

I've been asked by a few members to share my modified sound packages for the GBFans Sound Board. It can be found in the Sound Chip Programmer Thread in the For Sale Section but here they are again for quick reference:

GB2 - Proton Stream 2 & Post Vent Start Up Add On

GB2 - Game Stream Sound Enhanced & Post Vent Start Up Add On

I'm all for checking out new GB2 Proton Stream sound files so by all means, post them up! :)
By pyhasanon
I think I may be onto something, had to tweak the standard power up sound to get a sound similar to the higher pitched one in the movie (and RGB series, as stated earlier), and it sounds pretty good... Ran into a weird issue with the soundboard chip, so I may start my re-edit from scratch (since the chip is fine, it takes the default sounds with no problem, I just messed up a conversion somewhere that I can't seem to find), but I should be able to get back to you later tonight or tomorrow...
By csullivan1980
The gb2 proton stream, unlike the gb1 sound it had the "ba-diinnnnnng" right when firing, correct?

I always found that more desirable and realistic for some reason.
By pyhasanon
Looking forward to fixing it as soon as I get home from work... As of now, unless I load the default sounds, my soundboard is in "Silent" mode for some reason... Not sure if you've ran into this before... Is this what happens when you configure sounds for higher than 18kHz? I might have accidentally configured a sound and left it at 44.1kHz, but I can't find it... I'd hate to share it with you all if I can't get it to work on my board, because it might do the same for you... I figured it would be quicker for me to just start from scratch than to try to find my mistake...
By ovwthrillseekr
Yes I encountered that problem as well when at a higher Hz rate (22k and higher I think). Just edit the sound (18k Hz) and reprogram the chip. Fixed it right up for me.

Just to clarify though, my issue occurred for that one sound equation. Everything else I didn't touch worked fine. Is that the case with yours is your entire sound board silent?
By pyhasanon
Yeah, that's the funny thing, the entire soundboard went silent... Never could figure it out, so I started from scratch instead, which took all of about an hour to do, and little bit of tweaking afterwards... Anywho, here we go!

My apologies for the crappy audio in the video, but to make up for it, here's the file to download and play around with if you wish... Let me know what you think of it! After the last 3 days of playing around with the Soundchip Programmer, I think I've figured most of this thing out... LOL!

Phil's Modified GBFans Soundboard Files

Enjoy!!! =D
By ovwthrillseekr
pyhasanon wrote:Yeah, that's the funny thing, the entire soundboard went silent... Never could figure it out, so I started from scratch instead, which took all of about an hour to do, and little bit of tweaking afterwards... Anywho, here we go!

My apologies for the crappy audio in the video, but to make up for it, here's the file to download and play around with if you wish... Let me know what you think of it! After the last 3 days of playing around with the Soundchip Programmer, I think I've figured most of this thing out... LOL!

Phil's Modified GBFans Soundboard Files

Enjoy!!! =D
That sounds great! Nice job!
By ovwthrillseekr
Thanks to Phil, I'm now completely unsatisfied with my Proton Stream (Game Stream Sound Enhanced)! ;)

I went back to the drawing board and made the following edits:

1. Modified GB2 Proton Stream (Combined "Proton Stream 2" and "Start Up" Sounds)
2. Added Post Vent Start Up
3 Shortened the Proton Stream Power Down sound effect. I wasn't a fan of the long, drawn out power down after firing.

The result is this:

Everything else is the same on the pack (sounds, songs, etc.). After this mod, I think I'm done with sound modifications :sigh:
Dougger, giankenobi liked this
By ovwthrillseekr
So I had a few requests for the Ghostbusters 2 Proton Stream Sound File as well as my Ghostbusters 2 Proton Pack File; All of which is detailed above. The links above were broken so here they are again:

Ghostbusters 2 Proton Stream Sound File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b2dthy6tal1c ... 2.wav?dl=0

Ghostbusters 2 Proton Pack Sound Package: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecvkxoggkfv84 ... nproj?dl=0

giankenobi liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]