I was able to get to HD and pick up the hardware based on my diagram and Grimmy's suggestions. After trying everything out, I thought I might have something wrong. I expected the head of the bolt to be larger, like the carriage bolts some people have used. So I did a little more research and re-discovered a couple of excellent posts by Julz
concerning this topic...http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 0#p4786838http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 0#p4783805
Thanks a lot, Julz
, for figuring out all this GB1 spacer stuff and sharing the information is such a clear and clean manner!
Now that I've properly researched the topic (what a concept!), I was really ready to tackle this. Here is what I used to attach the vintage LC-1 ALICE frame to the GBfans motherboard...
3x 2" 1/4-20 round head philips bolts/screws (Home Depot)
5x 5/8" OD, 1/4" ID washers (Home Depot)
3x 1/4" wingnuts or 1/4" nylon lock nuts (Home Depot)
GB1 rubber spacers (Nick-A-Tron
To find the spot to drill the top/third mounting hole in the vertical ALICE frame bar, I bolted the motherboard directly (no spacers) to the frame using the two bottom slots. Then I marked the spot to drill using the center of the pre-drilled hole in the motherboard. After drilling the 1/4" hole, I starting assembling everything.Bottom two slots...
bolt --> washer --> alice frame slot --> rectangular rubber spacer --> motherboard --> washer --> wing nutTop connection...
bolt --> alice frame vertical bar --> half-moon rubber spacer --> motherboard --> washer --> wing nut
Now that I've way over-explained that, here are some pictures of the results...Bottom two connection pointsTop connection pointSide view - Bottom two connection pointsSide view - Top connection pointBack of pack with shell attached
(ignore the obscenely large LC-2 type kidney pad... I plan to replace it)Front of pack with shell attached
And of course, now that I've reached this milestone...HAPPY DAY!!!
I'm considering giving the LC-1 a fresh coat of flat black, so I haven't added the pipe insulation and tape to the top of the frame yet.
For my next step, I'm thinking I will install the Wire Loop Clamp that I fussed about so much in the beginning of this thread. Lots of good example of installing the clamp in various build threads, so I better start re-reading them now