By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:That's a mighty fine crank knob you're sporting there! Wish I was rocking grey on my pack.
Thanks!

Really wish I could share a cheap and abundant source of the grey knobs, but I bought it last year on evil bay when there were a batch of raytheons for sale. This was my reaction...

I'm happy I bought it though, it's a nice little item. I hope AJ is able source a reasonable manufacture for them someday, but I understand it's not so easy.
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By GohstTarp
I'm excited to say that my fastener order arrived recently, so I was able to start attaching some of the wonderful aluminum parts by CPU64...

First up is the HGA, which came drilled and tapped. All I had to do was screw everything in, and it was ready to attach. I decided I wanted the HGA to sit flush against the shell, so I used the dremel to flatten out the lower side edge of the gearbox...

After that, it fit nice and solid...

I'll customize the SMC elbow later to look more like the Legris with some copper tubing and gray paint. Very excited to have my first aluminum part attached!

Next, I attached the Vacuum Line. Chris also did a great job with this and all I had to do was drill the shell and attach...

My plan to attach the wire loom is to implement bishopdonmiguel'sMagSafe Vacuum Line Gearbox connector, but I want to get the Ion Arm setup and attached first. Fun stuff!
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By bishopdonmiguel
Love seeing these updates. The aluminum parts look fantastic. Wish I had been more fearless when planning my build. Great work!
GohstTarp liked this
By PssdffJay
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Love seeing these updates. The aluminum parts look fantastic. Wish I had been more fearless when planning my build. Great work!
You could always build another one...
By PssdffJay
Great work so far! I'm catching up on some build threads after being away. You're at a really fun part when it all starts to come together rather than looking a a bunch of parts sitting in a box.
GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Love seeing these updates. The aluminum parts look fantastic. Wish I had been more fearless when planning my build. Great work!
Thanks, Bishop! I won't deny it... I was a bit nervous about going aluminum, but it was mainly for naught. All of the parts from CPU64 came pre-drilled and tapped, which is making things easier. The only parts that will need drill/tap/etc. work will be the Booster Tube and PPD. Luckily I've gotten over my fear of the drill-tap process :)
By GohstTarp
PssdffJay wrote:Great work so far! I'm catching up on some build threads after being away.
Thank you, Jay. Welcome back!
PssdffJay wrote:You're at a really fun part when it all starts to come together rather than looking a a bunch of parts sitting in a box.
Exactly this! After watching my parts box slowly full up over the months, it's nice to see it starting to empty. Another step closer to a completed Proton Pack 8)
By GohstTarp
Thanks again guys, for the kind words and encouragement. And please, don't hesitate to bring up some friendly constructive criticism if you notice me going down the wrong path :)

Today I have a small update... the GBFans cable clamp has been attached. It's a great part - highly recommended. Like others, I preferred the more idealized placement, center to the top left cyclotron light hole. I ended up committing to this location...

To attach, I marked the location, drilled and tapped the shell, then inserted the included screws, adding washers and bolts to the inside.

I also started thinking about the location of the Beam Line and Filler Plug. Here are the locations I'm considering (the grey areas are where I've taped down a paper template)...

I'm pretty happy with that placement, but the more eyes, the better, so just let me know if you have any feedback :)
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By PssdffJay
I couldn't even remember what I had done, but luckily I documented aka over analyzed every detail in my build thread. Here is what I did.
PssdffJay wrote:Dry fit with the injectors, injector bracket, and filler tube. I was trying to match the angle Julz took in his photo. My Bracket isn't quite as big and it doesn't touch the filler. I tried with the filler over and it's way to far over. I think this'll do.

Quick question, the injectors line up like this right? Not the other way around. I believe that would be the Gb2 way.

GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
Back again with a non-injector tube update...

All of my Ion Arm parts came in, so I thought I would get it attached. The arm is another awesome part from CPU64. He provides excellent support for this products and I couldn't recommend him more! Everything else came from the GBFans Store, but I wanted to call out the store's GB1 End Cap as being a really nice part.

As has been suggested, I didn't do anything to fix the little dip in the GBFans shell at the Ion arm attachment point. I just made another paper template and drilled the four holes, but only used three screws...

...but the Ion Arm feels very solidly and securely attached. I had considered adding a little epoxy putty (of some sort) to the bottom to support the 4th screw, but it's I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Anyway, here is how it looks...

Now maybe I can get to those Injector Tubes...
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By PssdffJay
You could still put in the 4th bolt, just don't over torque it. I'm pretty sure all 6 of mine are torqued down and I didn't have any issues. Just tighten them evenly as you attach it. Like everyone told me, once the booster tube goes on, you can't tell anyway about the dip.

You build is looking good, makes me want to build another one!
GohstTarp liked this
These gentlemen ^^ offer great advice.
GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
Thank you for the kind words and great advice gentlemen...
PssdffJay wrote:You could still put in the 4th bolt, just don't over torque it.
Grimmy GB wrote:I agree with Jay
bishopdonmiguel wrote:These gentlemen ^^ offer great advice.
CPU64 wrote:Maybe you could put a small washer between the ion arm and the shell to fill the gap and use the 4th screw?
How could I not follow the advice of these great builders?!?! I added the 4th bolt and lightly tightened it as Jay suggested...
I like Chris' idea of putting a small washer to fill the gap and I might be able to get two thin ones in there. Will have to give it a shot :cool:
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By pyhasanon
It will be hidden pretty good behind the booster tube/frame, so it should work without being cosmetically hideous...

Looking good!
GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
pyhasanon wrote:It will be hidden pretty good behind the booster tube/frame, so it should work without being cosmetically hideous...

Looking good!
Thanks, Phil. Cosmetically hideous is definitely something I'm trying to avoid, but I'm not concerned about the gap for precisely the reasons you and Jay mentioned... it's just not visible after final assembly :)
By Parflagush
Looking good, man! Keep it up!

It's super exciting to attach all the parts to the shell the first time. :)
Then you have to take them all off to prep and paint the shell and all the parts. :(
But then you get to put it all back on and you are excited again! :-D

This made me realize how many ups and downs you go through with your build. There are frustrations and milestones and when you are done you celebrate your accomplishment and swear you'll never do it again...

Then you do it again. :lol:
GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
Parflagush wrote:Looking good, man! Keep it up!

It's super exciting to attach all the parts to the shell the first time. :)
Then you have to take them all off to prep and paint the shell and all the parts. :(
But then you get to put it all back on and you are excited again! :-D

This made me realize how many ups and downs you go through with your build. There are frustrations and milestones and when you are done you celebrate your accomplishment and swear you'll never do it again...

Then you do it again. :lol:
Thanks, Parflagush! I know what you mean about the ups and downs of the build... it's a surprisingly emotional process. One that I swear I'll never do again ;)
By GohstTarp
You know shit is about to get real when I whip out a paper template...

Seems to be pretty square...

Here is the obligatory comparison shot with Julz's build. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have the mounting plate installed in the photo and the GBFans shell comes with the mounting plate molded in...

And a nice side view...

Also wanted to show the injector tube bracket I fashioned about of 1"x1/8" aluminum bar...

I think the positioning here is somewhere between good and acceptable. Unless anyone raises some red flags, I'm going to commit and attach in a couple of days.
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking good.
GohstTarp liked this
Might consider a temporary attachment. Don't rivet until everything is painted.
GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
This weekend, I was able to get the injector tubes and bracket mounted. Felt like I've been in a bit of a rut with this project, but my progress here had re-inspired me and I enjoyed figuring out how to get everything to line up and work together. Being patient and taking my time helped a lot.

Looks pretty good - more than enough room for the Beam Line :cool:

Not bad from the side either...

This turned out nicely - Used 10-32 bolts to attach to the tubes and the shell. Even though it will be hidden by the ribbon cable later, I do like the look of the cap head bolts vs. rivets. I might just keep using them after final assembly...

A look from the inside - Hurray for the washer's force distribution properties...

You can see that I needed to shorten my 1" 10-32 bolts for clearance...

I'm really happy with how it turned out and always enjoy feeling how solid the parts feel after attaching.

Now I seem to remember wanting to attach those Beam Line and Filler Tubes... :lol:
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]