By AJ Quick
Summary
Introducing the new GBFans Pack Plans project. This project is a community effort to modernize and make newer more accurate Pack Plans with all of the little changes that have been discovered since Stefan's plans were created. These plans will be somewhat idealized to account for changes between the different pack shells.These plans will have all of the odd angles and tapered edges.

The project is headed up mainly by Cole Funstuff at this time. We are looking for more contributors who will adhere to the system we have in place.

Sketchup
We are using Sketchup to create these plans. Sketchup is a free 3D editing system that anyone can download and use. This is the only software we will be using to create these plans at this time. If you plan to make changes or submit files, you must be providing the Sketchup files.

You can download Sketchup here: http://www.sketchup.com/

Github System
We will be using "Github" to keep the files organized into a repository. This is going to be the only place for the official files at this time. Once a few 'stable' releases have been done, the files will be hosted on GBFans. Github is a very important tool for maintaining revisions and also for allowing collaboration. You will be able to download the files, and modify the files into your own "Fork". We will be monitoring any forks, and if you make good changes we will merge your changes into the main file structure.

https://github.com/ajquick/GBFans-Pack-Plans

Available Files
There will be 3+ different sets of files. This list will explain the files and how they can be used.

-Main Sketchup Files
These files are the ones that will be edited and maintained to make changes. You can edit these files directly in a Github fork. If your changes are correct they can be merged into the main system. These are the only files you should be making changes to. The following 2 categories are dependent on the main sketchup files.

-Drawing Files + PDFs
These drawings are generated from the Sketchup files. They are similar in style to Stefan's plans.

-STL Files
These files are generated from the Sketchup files. They can be used for 3D Printing, and Github can use them to quickly visualize the changes between file versions.

License
These plans are protected under the Creative Commons 'Share alike' License 4.0. These files are open to be used by anyone for any purpose. You can use these plans to make parts to sell, you can use the 3d files to have parts 3d printed to sell. You can use these plans to make your own plans as a derivative work, but you MUST share alike. That means you must make your plans as openly available as we have made ours. You must make any derivatives open source in the same way we have done ours (with master files available for editing).

As always. You must give credit where credit is due. You must attribute the plans you are using as "GBFans Pack Plans" with a link to the project. If you contribute to this project, you must agree to this license. Meaning, you will not be considered the main author even if you submit a large amount of files. (You can add yourself to the list of contributors on the Github, and and mention which files you've authored).

Here is the license information:

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
By AJ Quick
Files are now up on Github.

I'd recommend you download the Github for Windows and keep a copy of the files synched to your computer to stay up to date with changes. Currently the top half of the pack is modeled and STL files are available.

https://github.com/ajquick/GBFans-Pack-Plans

Please download Sketchup and give feedback in this thread for changes and improvements. If you have the ability to work in Sketchup, please synch the files and start making changes / improvements.... just make sure to discuss them here!
Tyrael liked this
By Ramjet
I apologise for my recent absence. Family breakup, relocation requiring new job etc. etc. no internet at home til now...kept me away.

Great to see the project is still moving.
By Hoot
Ramjet wrote:I apologise for my recent absence. Family breakup, relocation requiring new job etc. etc. no internet at home til now...kept me away.

Great to see the project is still moving.
Sorry to hear about all that glad to see you are back.
You in for this project?
Ramjet liked this
By Kingpin
Good to see you back, Ramjet... although sorry to hear of the circumstances that arose during your absence.

Whilst we would definitely love for you to resume work on the project, if real life events would prevent you from doing so, we'd be more than understanding. :)
Ramjet liked this
By Cole Funstuff
Sorry everyone, I haven't been able to put much time into this for the past couple weeks.

As AJ said, my files have been posted to Github. If you download the latest SketchUp, you should be able to open and play around with the model. I was working on the gearbox at the time and was trying to get the "finished" parts laid out in PDF form to be uploaded as well.

If people can keep the discussion rolling on the spacer and gearbox, it would help in keeping this moving forward. I can still model when I find the free time but need measurements to base the design off of.

Thanks again for everyone's help thus far. Let's finish this strong!
By Cole Funstuff
I had a chance tonight to jump in and mess around with the model. I've outlined the changes I uploaded to Github on the site, but figured I'd include them here:

- I increased the Powercell length to account for bottom fin being slightly thicker than 1/8". This results in the top of the Powercell being 5-1/16" long (not ideal, but results in the desired lengths).
- I've added the Booster Frame based on jackdoud's work found here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 42&t=27405. It's just a rough template but should get us going on the part.
- I shifted the Booster tube over to account for its offset from the PPD accurately. I initially had it centered between the disks but noticed that it should be slightly off to the right (I plugged in about 1/16")

I'm still trying to figure out the Gearbox if anyone cares to help. If you open up the model, you can see I have the general shapes taken care of, but am still unsure about a couple things:

- Do the bottom fins have an angle to them as I currently have shown in the model? Several reference photos make it seem like that, but they could be playing tricks on me.
- Can anyone with a Venky shell cross check the dimensions from the model and let me know if anything stands out as being different. I figure now's a good time to check before applying all of the rounded edges.

I want to give a couple other parts a once over again (Ion Arm, EDA, and Gun Mount), but should be ready to move on to the Spacer/Cyclotron. I could use a lot of help in this area so any photos or measurements people may have already worked out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
By AJ Quick
Great!

Now we get to see the power of Github!

I have exported all the STL files again from the changes Cole made. I uploaded new STL files. With Github, you can 3d visualize the changes he has made. Check this out:

https://github.com/ajquick/GBFans-Pack- ... f28ef748be

(NOTE: Clicking this link will be very memory intensive. Recommended to do it in Chrome / Firefox and not IE).

Here is an example of what you can do:

Cole Funstuff, Ramjet liked this
By Hijacker
The files on github don't match the communit okayed files, but I guess that was just trying to pick up the pieces with Ramjet having done things in Solidworks, while the community push is now going to Sketchup.

I will say, Ramjet's designs are turning out nicely in my buck build. I do think the gun mount designs need some reassessing as comparisons to the Sony Lobby pack don't seem to match up as expected. The v hook base is a 2" square, correct?
By AJ Quick
Hijacker wrote:The files on github don't match the communit okayed files, but I guess that was just trying to pick up the pieces with Ramjet having done things in Solidworks, while the community push is now going to Sketchup.
The community hasn't said a thing about these files so far. If something isn't correct speak up and say something or go and edit the files in Sketchup and contribute them to the repository.
Cole Funstuff liked this
By Hijacker
I'm gonna get the discussion rolling again, hopefully. We last left off at the gun mount, Cole had posted a good design that accounted for the dimensions seen on the Sony lobby pack.
Cole Funstuff wrote:Here's where I'm coming in with the gun mount:

I'm toying around with the idea of producing drawings similar to Stefan's current set once a piece is finalized. This does take time to put together, but I feel it would benefit those who don't have/want a modeling program.

I've created all of this with SketchUp (a free program) and will look into hosting the files on a repo so that anyone can download and manipulate the model.

Until then, take a look at the above measurements and see if you agree with what I've shown.
Looking at the Sony pack, I don't believe there to be tapers on the sides.

In this pictures, they look fairly perpendicular on the sides.

I'll make a sketchup file on this later. Since I'm doing up a pack buck right now, I'm building a wooden gun mount right now to see how it looks in person and compares to our reference photos. Basically, I'm taking Coles above and flattening the sides. I haven't locked down how far back the spacer sits, but I'm toying with 3/4" and keeping Ramjet's 1" spacing from the crank.
Last edited by Kingpin on July 3rd, 2014, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
By Cole Funstuff
Hijacker wrote:In this pictures, they look fairly perpendicular on the sides.
Everything I've looked at and everyone I've talked to show that the gun mount is tapered. I've also verified this on a stunt shell cast to be certain.
Hijacker wrote:The files on github don't match the communit okayed files, but I guess that was just trying to pick up the pieces with Ramjet having done things in Solidworks, while the community push is now going to Sketchup.
I'm curious as to which parts don't match what the community has "agreed" upon. I have been fairly hesitant to change anything or move forward on this as there hasn't been much (if any) input lately.

I have recently been extremely busy and haven't been able to produce the plans as fast as I would have hoped. If anyone would like to lend a hand and help, please let us know.
By Cole Funstuff

That's as close to the reference photo I could make the model to show how the taper can trick the eye.

The model currently tapers out at 1/8" over the height of the Gun Mount in that photo, which I think looks very close.

Thoughts?
By Hijacker
I was going through Venky's thread update on his casting, and without all the other pieces in the way, the inside taper was easily noticeable. A lot of the ref pictures from the Sony lobby make it really difficult to see the taper. It's not much, though. Maybe an 1/8"?

I'm also going to apologize for how I came across in my last post. I jumped the gun because the power cell looked different. I didn't bother to check the actual dimensions, because I'm an idiot.

As for the gun mount, it looks pretty good now. The biggest changes from the original were the height and depth dimensions. Completely off in Stefan's, but between correcting that and getting the proper tapers, I think we're good to go. As far as the spacer goes, I've left it 1", but I placed the front edge about 3/4" from the front face of the mount.
By Kingpin
The Gun Mount's definitely looking good.

I would dig my own Venky shell out to get a look at the taper, but as we've got my brother's kids staying overnight it's more difficult for me to access it at the moment.
By Hijacker
I'm trying to lay out some framework for the synchronous generator right now. As usual, I'm starting with stefan's, but adding the fifteenth plate. For the most part, this peice should be fairly straight forward.
By Cole Funstuff
What's the news on the area between the Spacer and EDA?

I know the stunt pack casts are narrower in that area when compared to other packs, but is this correct? I would be more inclined to stick with Stefan's measurements of ~1.686" (might even look at just making it an even 1-5/8") due to me hearing about potential issues that shell has.

I'll also begin laying out the spacer in the model to see how it looks with Stefan's plans. I'm also trying to get the Crankbox finished up, but that part is going to be a nightmare to try and make plans for.
By Kingpin
Cole Funstuff wrote:What's the news on the area between the Spacer and EDA?

I know the stunt pack casts are narrower in that area when compared to other packs, but is this correct? I would be more inclined to stick with Stefan's measurements of ~1.686" (might even look at just making it an even 1-5/8") due to me hearing about potential issues that shell has.

I'll also begin laying out the spacer in the model to see how it looks with Stefan's plans. I'm also trying to get the Crankbox finished up, but that part is going to be a nightmare to try and make plans for.
I'd certainly be inclined to dismiss any smaller than expected measurements caused by the Stunt shells. The Venky shells won't be a help in this field as the valley between the Spacer and EDA is too small to accommodate Beam Line/Filler Tubes which I believe were made to the correct size (the likely result of material loss from the reclaimed mold being cut up).
By Hijacker
Kingpin wrote:I'd certainly be inclined to dismiss any smaller than expected measurements caused by the Stunt shells. The Venky shells won't be a help in this field as the valley between the Spacer and EDA is too small to accommodate Beam Line/Filler Tubes which I believe were made to the correct size (the likely result of material loss from the reclaimed mold being cut up).
I'd be inclined to say set it to 1-5/8" as well.

Also, how do we upload to github? I usually don't use it, and I slapped an early revision of the synchronous generator with 15 spacer segments.
By AJ Quick
Hijacker wrote:Also, how do we upload to github? I usually don't use it, and I slapped an early revision of the synchronous generator with 15 spacer segments.
Create a Github account. Fork the project. Add your changes.

Let me know and I can merge the file back into the main repository.
By Kingpin
Finally got a chance to look over the Gun Mount on my Venky shell a few days ago.

The slant of the gear box side, to the naked eye at any rate, looked pretty similar to the slant on the hook side.
By Hijacker
I was looking over the valley in between the synch gen and the EDA/crank. Stefan's measurements come out to around 1-11/16" square for the corner the beam line sits in. That should leave plenty of room to get the beam line tube and it's 1-1/2" square base plate in. I haven't been able to find any decent pictures that show the valley with some form of measurement reference yet.
By Cole Funstuff
Hijacker wrote:I was looking over the valley in between the synch gen and the EDA/crank. Stefan's measurements come out to around 1-11/16" square for the corner the beam line sits in. That should leave plenty of room to get the beam line tube and it's 1-1/2" square base plate in. I haven't been able to find any decent pictures that show the valley with some form of measurement reference yet.
I'm working to estimate this based on the spacer dimensions. We can also assume for now that the plate on the Hero packs is in fact 1.5" and estimate the offsets on both sides to give us the overall measurement.

I should have some time tonight to mock it up and post some pictures.
By Hijacker
Awesome. I'm mocking up some wood real words of the filler right now, so if you can make some measurements, I'll cut the analogue and see about stuffing some 1-1/2" square bases on it so we can get a good visual.
By Cole Funstuff
I really want to finish the Crank Generator (it's become an obsession)...

I'm getting really close to having something solid I think, but I'm torn between the radius of the edges on the box. Stefan's plans call out for a 1/8" radius (mostly), but I've heard other members mention going even further. I've mocked up two models, one with a 1/8" edge and the other with a 1/4" edge...

What are everyone's thoughts as to the correct measurement?
By julz
Hey Cole! So cool you are chipping away at this still :cool:

I defiantly think the second option favouring the curves is the way to go, but I think you could even push it a bit more.

Here is a picture of Spenglers hero from front on, I think some of the curves you have laid down need a little work but I really think you are going down the right path :cool:

Here is your file overlaid as best as I could.

And here is Just a quick outline I did in illustrator on where I thought the main curve areas were, It's still missing some bevel lines but you get the idea.

Cole Funstuff, Kingpin liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]