Lowberg wrote:Thanks for the help!

GREAT SUCCESS

I just wired up an experimentation circuit. 2 circuits, one for the air pump and one for the E cig, both running off their own 6v AA battery box.

Could I wire them to one 6v battery box on the same circuit and still have it work as well?

That looks pretty compact and easy to do. Are there online links for the specific parts of that posted anywhere? (I'm in the middle of dragonkhaaaaan costume fabrication, and just happened to see this on a break.)
Got my kits today and attempted to connect one.

I'm not getting anything out of the cartomizer. It seems like the liquid is just slowly accumulating at the tip of tubing that goes in the PVC, then a drop will fall into the PVC. Any thoughts?

Also, how are people securing the PVC to the N-filter? Mine's not loose, but I feel like a car ride might cause it to come out...
grantofkings wrote:Got my kits today and attempted to connect one.

I'm not getting anything out of the cartomizer. It seems like the liquid is just slowly accumulating at the tip of tubing that goes in the PVC, then a drop will fall into the PVC. Any thoughts?

Also, how are people securing the PVC to the N-filter? Mine's not loose, but I feel like a car ride might cause it to come out...
They were tested several times before packing for shipping. Are you holding the manual button down for 4 or 5 seconds to unclog the cartomizer for testing and are all the other components coming on, ie pump and LED and fan

I use a rubber self sealing tape from home depot to make a snug friction fit between the PVC and nfilter

If you continue to have a problem with the kit, PM me, a video if possible would be helpful

Jim
I have your kit installed in my pack with the GBfans sound board. I have a single blue brick battery running the whole setup. The e-cig kit gets it's power from the terminal on the sound board.

When I tested some weeks ago it worked fine. But now the LED will not lit. The pump and fan work and the smoke seems to work. But all I get from the LED is a difficult to notice fast blink. The battery is fully charged.

I've read through the thread and found that there has been som issues similar to this running from a single battery. But the thing that puzzels me is that it worked perfectly fine with the same setup before.

The two things I can think of is that when tried it last time the battery had a different current which happend to work better. The second is that I have the pack in my garage, and the temperature is much lower now than some weeks ago.

I don't want to add another battery if I don't have to...

Do you have some thoughs and pointers for me? Thanks.
Cadger wrote:I have your kit installed in my pack with the GBfans sound board. I have a single blue brick battery running the whole setup. The e-cig kit gets it's power from the terminal on the sound board.

When I tested some weeks ago it worked fine. But now the LED will not lit. The pump and fan work and the smoke seems to work. But all I get from the LED is a difficult to notice fast blink. The battery is fully charged.

I've read through the thread and found that there has been som issues similar to this running from a single battery. But the thing that puzzels me is that it worked perfectly fine with the same setup before.

The two things I can think of is that when tried it last time the battery had a different current which happend to work better. The second is that I have the pack in my garage, and the temperature is much lower now than some weeks ago.

I'm not sure what your problem might be, but my testing shows the ecig filament is sensitive to current ouput (ability to discharge at a high rate) from the battery.
The blue bricks have plenty of overall capacity, but the drain rate or flow is rather low for a given time period which is why a battery pack of 8AA batteries or the small high current rechargeable battery in the tutorial works 100%. They both have a higher current flow rate than the blue brick.
I know that adding more/different lights or components to the pack will cause the LED to do what you are reporting
If the battery does not truly have a full charge or has been allowed to completely discharge it may not recharge fully and cause problems
To see if the battery is indeed at fault, do you have access to another 12V source such as an 8cell AA to D size battery holder or Li-ion/LiPo battery to power the ecig to check the function

I do know the blue brick with the gbfans setup will not work by itself if a second ecig for nozzle venting is added. The combined current draw from 2 ecigs will shut down the gbfans board and absolutely require a separate battery
Quick question. What are people using for the white fibrous material in the N-filter that will still let the smoke out? Or is everyone just leaving it out? Thanks !
| alkaline | wrote:Quick question. What are people using for the white fibrous material in the N-filter that will still let the smoke out? Or is everyone just leaving it out? Thanks !
We put some fine mesh from an old window screen in ours, sprayed with a light coat of metallic silver paint, just enough to give a shine but not clog it up
jimfin wrote:
| alkaline | wrote:Quick question. What are people using for the white fibrous material in the N-filter that will still let the smoke out? Or is everyone just leaving it out? Thanks !
We put some fine mesh from an old window screen in ours, sprayed with a light coat of metallic silver paint, just enough to give a shine but not clog it up
Yup, just cut a small strip and wrap it around the inside of the N-filter. You can secure it in place with epoxy or hot glue. For a GB2 pack, you can lightly spray paint the fine mesh white in color to simulate the white backing while still allowing the vapor to flow through.
I'm having the same issue as Cadger. The kit worked perfectly when it arrived, but sat for awhile. I had some time to hook it up this week, so I tested it again before I hooked it to my pack. Fan is spinning, e-cig is creating smoke, but the strobe LED just flashes for a brief moment, and will not stay lit.

Since I haven't hooked it in to my pack yet, my circuit is still powered by 8 AA batteries. I've tried a fresh set, with the same results.

Any ideas?
That sounds like insufficient power to me.. I had the same issue with my custom version for my dragon armor. Make sure all the connectors are plugged in well, and recharge the battery fully. That resolved my issues.
jimfin wrote:
I do know the blue brick with the gbfans setup will not work by itself if a second ecig for nozzle venting is added. The combined current draw from 2 ecigs will shut down the gbfans board and absolutely require a separate battery
I'm getting a situation where about every fifth vent my whole system blacks out. I then open the shell, switch off then on the blue brick and I'm fine again. Should I get that second battery?

GBfans kit, blue brick, Spongeface e-cig board.
jimfin wrote:
Cadger wrote:I have your kit installed in my pack with the GBfans sound board. I have a single blue brick battery running the whole setup. The e-cig kit gets it's power from the terminal on the sound board.

I'm not sure what your problem might be, but my testing shows the ecig filament is sensitive to current ouput (ability to discharge at a high rate) from the battery.
The blue bricks have plenty of overall capacity, but the drain rate or flow is rather low for a given time period which is why a battery pack of 8AA batteries or the small high current rechargeable battery in the tutorial works 100%. They both have a higher current flow rate than the blue brick.
I know that adding more/different lights or components to the pack will cause the LED to do what you are reporting
If the battery does not truly have a full charge or has been allowed to completely discharge it may not recharge fully and cause problems
To see if the battery is indeed at fault, do you have access to another 12V source such as an 8cell AA to D size battery holder or Li-ion/LiPo battery to power the ecig to check the function

I noticed a bulge on my battery. I have a spare blue brick so I switched and tried with that. It worked! So it might be that the issue was a faulty battery.
I just recently found a bulge in one of my old smartphone batteries and it would no longer hold a charge. This seems like a fairly recent battery issue, as another friend of mine also had a battery bulge in his droid maxx.
Can someone confirm the size of the vacuum cap required? I bought 1/4" (.25") and its definitely too small. Should it be a 1/2" cap? Thanks Gs !
| alkaline | wrote:Can someone confirm the size of the vacuum cap required? I bought 1/4" (.25") and its definitely too small. Should it be a 1/2" cap? Thanks Gs !
I should edit that 1st list of parts, sorry, the vacuum caps I use are 5/16". 1/2 won't fit and your are right , the 1/4 is a bit undersized

jim
OK perfect. I almost bought the 5/16 when i was there cause even in the store 1/4 looked too small haha. Thanks !
Namssorg wrote:
Cadger wrote: I noticed a bulge on my battery. I have a spare blue brick so I switched and tried with that. It worked! So it might be that the issue was a faulty battery.
Hmm, I'll try another set of fresh AA's. Sounds like this may be the issue! Thanks for the help!
Update- Batteries were not the issue for me- I replicated the problem with fresh AAs. I am not sure why my strobe is not staying lit, but I have narrowed it down.

When the e-cig module, pump, and voltage regulator are hooked up, everything works - but the LED strobe does not stay on for more than a split second.

When I remove the e-cig/pump/VR, and just plug the fan + strobe directly into power, the strobe stays on like it's supposed to.

Think it might be a bad voltage regulator? I'm kind of stumped. Was really hoping to get this kit in my pack, but it has other plans.
Hmm, I'll try another set of fresh AA's. Sounds like this may be the issue! Thanks for the help![/quote]

Update- Batteries were not the issue for me- I replicated the problem with fresh AAs. I am not sure why my strobe is not staying lit, but I have narrowed it down.

When the e-cig module, pump, and voltage regulator are hooked up, everything works - but the LED strobe does not stay on for more than a split second.

When I remove the e-cig/pump/VR, and just plug the fan + strobe directly into power, the strobe stays on like it's supposed to.

Think it might be a bad voltage regulator? I'm kind of stumped. Was really hoping to get this kit in my pack, but it has other plans.[/quote]

In my experience it is a lack of sufficient current reaching all the components, while it is possible that the regulator could be the limiting factor, the tests you did by separating the 12V parts from the 6V ones tends to rule that out. I am at a loss too as to the possible problem as I have literally run this circuit for weeks off of 8AA's and even 8AA rechargeables that only start out at a total of 9.6V
If you can't get a hold of a higher drain 12V source, you could try getting another 8AA battery holder from Radio Shack and run it in parallel with the 1st one to double the current capacity

Another possibility is a cold solder joint somewhere in the connections causing a higher resistance, though that wouldn't explain why it worked initially and only started behaving erratically after some time
Just a heads up. Tis the season so went into Wal-Marts Halloween section on a whim. They carry smoke machine fluid that works great with glycerin. It was only 9 bucks too.
Even better, right after halloween it's usually no less than 50% off. I have several containers I stocked up on a few years ago.
| alkaline | liked this
Here's a question to everyone using this system. Do you notice overtime that the smoke solution is dripping out of the mouth piece at all? The reason I ask is while assembling my set up I noticed the mouth piece is now pointing down while the pack is upright or being worn. I would think that the solution overtime would work its way down the wick and out the mouth piece since its basically mounted upside down. Ive noticed slight fluid build up in the nfilter just front testing my ecig. I would hate to find that the solution worked itself out all over my speakers and such. Is this a potential issue or am I being too cautious? I guess if you're going to store the pack for any length of time you should drain the ecig maybe?
Well i finally got my buddy's pack together with working lights and sound on halloween day believe it or not. I also had everything put together and ready to go for the e-cig mod, and when i went to test it... no vap.

Everything else works, the fan, the light, 6V to the pump(pumps fine), the ubec running off a 11.1v 2800 mah battery.

Thought maybe i blocked the hole with solder... nope could pull through air just fine and it was obviously not blocked.

Thought maybe i burnt out the filament, unsoldered (even though it never got warm) screwed it on to a vaporizer, pulled a drag, didnt inhale... vaped fine.

Maybe the leads were switched tried swapping ten times nothing.

Thought my negattive (ground) had a bad solder joint, nope, when i touch both leads to the oustide, it shorts, and shuts everything off.

I even went out to the store and bought more with the same outcome.

Suggestions please!
nturne2001 wrote:Well i finally got my buddy's pack together with working lights and sound on halloween day believe it or not. I also had everything put together and ready to go for the e-cig mod, and when i went to test it... no vap.

Everything else works, the fan, the light, 6V to the pump(pumps fine), the ubec running off a 11.1v 2800 mah battery.

Thought maybe i blocked the hole with solder... nope could pull through air just fine and it was obviously not blocked.

Thought maybe i burnt out the filament, unsoldered (even though it never got warm) screwed it on to a vaporizer, pulled a drag, didnt inhale... vaped fine.

Maybe the leads were switched tried swapping ten times nothing.

Thought my negattive (ground) had a bad solder joint, nope, when i touch both leads to the oustide, it shorts, and shuts everything off.

I even went out to the store and bought more with the same outcome.

Suggestions please!
sent you a PM

Jim

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker scen[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]