This needs a bump for new eyes!

This build is incredible. If there is a pinnacle of achievment in replica prop building, it's to accomplish a goal of simulating what it would have been like to build the original props for the film. Reading through this build has been like watching Ghostbusters 2 go into production.

Bravo!
alphabeta001 liked this
By halliwax
really nice build! i love the weathering, weathering is my biggest fear when tackling this project, you have pulled it off flawlessly, i am curious to what you do to weather the nylon tubing. keep up the good work!
By legend642
Thank you all!
pyhasanon wrote:Legend returns! Welcome back! Hope all is well with you!
I'm fine, thank you. ;-)
For lack of some materials, I have temporarily suspended work on my proton pack, and dedicated to another prop (a little off topic, sorry), I built mailbox replica of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...

alphabeta001 liked this
By pyhasanon
Such awesome weathering, this truly looks like it's gone through 30 years of busts and has stories to tell...
By bromie
Yeah, that weathering's amazing!

I know you used Fullers Earth and talc, but could you go into a bit more detail about the process? Like how you got that grungy look in all the corners and on the lenses?

Look forward to the rest of the build!
By legend642
Of course, I'll try to explain better (I have difficulty with the English language :walterpeck: ).
I have simulated what happens when an object is not cleaned thoroughly, you usually pass a cloth or feather duster, which does not remove all the dust and dirt, but does accumulate in corners and crevices, which in every "cleaning" accumulate dust.
To do this, just homogeneously cover with a mixture of Fullers Earth and talc, and with brush remove dust so as to accumulate in corners.
For not removable weathering, you can put a little glue in the corners (E.g., edge power cell lens), so dust will be pasted.
Consiglio weatherproof wood glue (polyvinyl acetate):http://www.uhubostik.it/UhuBostik/catal ... universale

pyhasanon wrote:Such awesome weathering, this truly looks like it's gone through 30 years of busts and has stories to tell...
Thanks Pyhasanon, your appreciation encourage me to go forward.
alphabeta001 liked this
By bromie
legend642 wrote:Of course, I'll try to explain better (I have difficulty with the English language :walterpeck: ).
I have simulated what happens when an object is not cleaned thoroughly, you usually pass a cloth or feather duster, which does not remove all the dust and dirt, but does accumulate in corners and crevices, which in every "cleaning" accumulate dust.
To do this, just homogeneously cover with a mixture of Fullers Earth and talc, and with brush remove dust so as to accumulate in corners.
For not removable weathering, you can put a little glue in the corners (E.g., edge power cell lens), so dust will be pasted.
Consiglio weatherproof wood glue (polyvinyl acetate):http://www.uhubostik.it/UhuBostik/catal ... universale
Glue! Of course! It's so simple, i can't believe i didn't think of that!

I originally did the basics with Fullers Earth like you did, but it just looked dusty rather than used. I've got a Spengler-based GB1 so was debating whether or not to go full GB2 weathering or not. Might compromise and do a lightweight version of what you did.

Thanks for the help!
By legend642
nick-a-tron wrote:Did you weather the ribbon cable at all?
Yes, I used fine grit sandpaper, then smeared with soot lighter flame (quickly to avoid melt), then thrown on the ground, stepped on and dragged (treated really badly :-) ).
But the result does not convince me, the ribbon cable seems to be very resistant to wear.

bromie wrote: Glue! Of course! It's so simple, i can't believe i didn't think of that!

I originally did the basics with Fullers Earth like you did, but it just looked dusty rather than used. I've got a Spengler-based GB1 so was debating whether or not to go full GB2 weathering or not. Might compromise and do a lightweight version of what you did.

Thanks for the help!
You're welcome!
Powder help to weathering, but it alone is not enough, for optimal effect required at least a bit scratches, abrasions, all depends weathering level that you want.
I used a wire brush with fine bristles, fine sandpaper, a cutter for replicate the scratches visible on hero proton pack Venkman.
Result also depends on how paint reacts to weathering treatment.

I believe that even GB1 proton packs be ruined, as visible in this screenshot.
I think very dark scenes mask weathering.

By bromie
Amazing, again!

Just noticed one thing though - your Fullers Earth is more of a green colour, whereas mine is beige.

Sounds like a small difference, but it seems to be the difference between mine looking dusty and yours looking grimy. Looks like i have something else to buy...

And then i think i'll have to bite the bullet and start hacking away at the paint job... :-(
By legend642
Thanks bromie.
My weathering inspiration is RoboProp Proton Pack, his job with Fuller's Earth is truly amazing: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 32&p=50905
To make testing of weathering, I used Todd's Costumes Fuller's Earth: http://www.toddscostumes.com/costume-ac ... ie-costume
but successively, having finished, I made my Fullers Earth by just using cat litter pulverize with hammer (Clean sand! not used :) ), and mixing of talc when appearance is too dark.
I think if you want something similar to Fullers Earth visible in my photos, the ventilated green clay may be an alternative solution to cat litter.
By bromie
Ah ok. You don't own any cats do you? I can just imagine someone coming down to a stinking p**s soaked pack one morning! :lol:

Funnily enough i found something called green clay after a bit of digging around after seeing your weathering. I'm going to give it a go anyway, seems to be exactly what look i want after seeing it on your pack.

And i think i've actually been through RoboProp's thread before. I have to say though, and i mean no disrespect to RoboProp in any way, but i think your weathering has a more 'natural' feel to it. It looks very real, exactly like a real screen-used pack (well, except yours has a slightly higher build quality!).

Can't wait to see the rest of this build, makes me want to build another pack already!
By robpenfold
Apparently Chinchilla Dust Bath works just as well as Fuller's earth. They are both a clay dust. You can buy it in small containers at virtually any pet store. A good alternative if you don't want to go litter box diving. I'm about to do mine pack so I'll let you know for sure how it works but read somewhere (the RPF I think) that its excellent.
legend642 liked this
By legend642
I have a cat, but i use clay dust envelope purchased in the supermarket, no litter box diving :)
I badly explained in the previous post. :walterpeck:

Thank you for appreciation, but in my humble opinion, RoboProp proton pack is semi-hero pack replica, should be less damaged, because it is not painted but the outer layer is gelcoat (correct me if I'm wrong).
I know you do not want to belittle the work of RoboProp, I think for that version did right level of weathering, and if RoboProp build a new proton pack hero, probably would be better than mine.

Today I repositioned HGA.

mburkit liked this

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]