Here are some Pics and Learnings from my very first Ecto Googles - actually my very first larger DIY costume project / print at all.

I started with the great 3D model found on Thingiverse by user notsabbat, link here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3168887.
You've surely seen this build here already in another thread I think by user pchrisbosh1 .

Print took some time, around 20 hours if I remember correctly. I am not very used to 3d printing and printed it in the wrong direction, I just did not think long enough. Print was still ok, but with too much supports on the wrong places. I will print a new one sometime, but I decided it will do for now.
Note: Next one will pe printed rotated by 90 degree (with the lenses facing up). Use a better material (I used a matte black PLA filament which does not flow as good as others I have).

I did spent quite a while with plastic scratcher (how it is called in english?) and filler spray and sanding sanding (and more sanding) to get it a least a bit smoother. While it worked it is really annoying work and I hate the stench of this stuff. Took really some time. While not perfect I decided to be good enough for my prototype and moved on to coloring.
Note: Next time I will experiment with Epoxy resin for smoothing (and I should not need so much when printed correctly and with a better material).

Coloring...I used a nice darker olive (called "Evil Olive") by Belton, I really like the color. Not to bright and not to military...while still military enough. The chrome color however did not keep to the lenses and I later need to add a layer of clear paint to keep the color on the lense. The clear paint however did react with the chrome spray and it ended up a bit "milky" and not as bright as before.
Note: Will need to experiment with a different color (I also have a can of steel metal spary here) and / or use plastic grounding before. Perhaps both. The good is, my lenses are attached by screws and can be exchanged later if the need arises. Not glued. Good idea.

Hard time to get all the parts together. I did not find the correct dot snappers used here many times. I used some "similiar" lookings. I really searched hours for hours to no avail. However...they seem to be ok.
I ordered the stickers from ebay, however some are missing :-( I did not check this before correctly. It lacks the battery stickers from the bottom and I think some from the left side and top also?
Luckily I found fitting caps for the sides in my crap box...I know they can be ordered, but not so cheap to have it sent to europe. A 3D model of the knobs is also not available.
Note: I need to to do the rest of the stickers myself somehow...

The foam for the back of the faceplate (7mm strong)...uhh...it is here...but how should I cut this stuff? I already made a paper template but the foam one is too large (due to its thickness) and cutting it with scissor and cutter was also no good idea. Hmm...
Note: I need to experiment to get the foam in the correct shape and how to cut this stuff...will try a coping saw with a very fine metal saw blade next.

Headstrip...makes me headache. I will make the first one with a orderer $7 universal headband/set shopped from amazon and use the snappers directly on it.
Note: Lets see...

TODO

Lighting...I want it green...:-) However...completly optional for now.
Research was not successful yet. Found nothing really fitting for me (at least what I understand)

TODO
Last edited by MikeMan on January 5th, 2020, 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thans Styrofoam_Guy ;-) I added a picture to No. 5 above, the foam is 8mm thick (not 7mm as I rembered). I already tried my Xacto-Cutter but it did pretty nothing, perhaps it will work better with a new blade, but I think it is still to soft to be sliced. The saw (I used it for the inner cutting - cant be seen on the photo) did a better job, not perfect...but ...better...
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I am not sure what cutter you mean when you say Exacto cutter (because there are so many types)

I was thinking of the type like the OLFA 5003 model
https://www.amazon.com/5003-Ratchet-Loc ... 174&sr=8-2

New blades are very sharp and can cut you without you realizing it. I would extend it about 2-3 inches and use that to cut foams and styrofoam.

The other option may be a hot wire cutter but that can produce nasty fumes.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

This is normal "cutter" in our language. I actually meant and tried an Precision Knife like this (https://www.amazon.de/X-Acto-XZ3601-Mes ... B005KRSWM6).
I have no access to a hot wire cutter :-(
I also talked back to my seller and she told me than foam up to 5mm can be cut best with a cutter and upwards you should use a cutting plotter?!
Hmm...I am bit stuck here right now :-)
I am not sure what a cutting plotter is for something thicker than 5mm.

The link you showed is the same type of knife I use. I have used this before but on thinner foams. Again the blade has to be brand new. Once one of these blades gets slightly dull it is terrible with cutting foam as it tend to tear as oppose to cut.

With some of the more rigid foams you can use a low grit sandpaper (100-400) to see if that might give you a smoother edge.
Yesterday I cutted the labels for the googles and put it a new blade before. I gave also a short try on the foam and yeah...seems to cut well enough even through 8mm foam. It is also dense enough that it could be sanded. So, good plan. Now I need to get the correct this on the template, as mentioned my "paper master" seems not fit when copied to the foam. Ok, we will see :-) I have 3 more tries, then I need to order some new sheets of foam...thinner ones perhaps.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]