By Rowan J. Zweig
So I'm contemplating building some new ecto googles to go with my uniform. I was looking at TVG goggles and noticed that the lenses seem to look more like camera lens now, but the details and such. Anyone else notice this? Or ever used camera lenses for their goggles?

For reference:

By Rowan J. Zweig
That's not mine, lol. That's an old video game photo.

I did find something interesting that could work for a ecto-google conversion. I wanted something that had a third strap over the top of the head, and I found this:

http://www.tomtop.com/cst06-google-card ... oCADDw_wcB

My only concern is that it's made of cardboard, so any lens would have to be semi-light weight, I imagine, and I still plan on hunting up some old camera lenses to use for the goggles. Thoughts?
By Rowan J. Zweig
So been on the hunt for something to convert into ecto googles other than safety or welding goggles and found these online. They have the head strap type I want, and I figure with pricing and amount of money I was going to spend building something from scratch, having these ready to go to convert would at least save me a few hours of elbow grease. With a bit of work, I think these could come out pretty solid. Not going for movie accurate here, but something more compact with a couple interesting lights. I plan to acquire some camera lenses that look similar to the video game incarnation, but not sticking to that soley.

By Rowan J. Zweig
Thanks! I can't wait until they come in! I'm stoked to work on them!

I've been trying to source the lenses from eBay, though I think I'm going to hunt some pawn shops and flea markets to see if I can source some parts locally.

Or all else fails, gonna design my own. Just seems on how fast I want them done :mrgreen:
So done a bit of work on my new goggles that came in last week, I figured for those interested I would show a bit more set by step process.

Goggles fit well, a bit front heavy, and obviously designed for a phone, not to see through, so we're going to have to change that.

When you open it up, on the inside you find some simple mechanics for their lenses for adjusting the visual spread as well as the focus. Unfortunately the lenses are no good to me as they are designed for looking at something extremely close up. So I had to remove them regardless.

Thankfully, this is actually a very straightforward process. Six screws held a face plate, and through some careful jiggling, I was able to remove all the small parts from these adjustable lenses, including the lenses them selves. I plan on reusing these parts (minus the lenes) somehow in the actual goggle lenses down the road, since I was able to preserve everything.

I also removed the plate off of the "front door". Also easily removed with a few screws.

With all of those parts stripped out, we're left with a very clean looking interior. Looks very well design. And is also incredibly light now.

By Rowan J. Zweig
Just a quick update, and also some request for input on design!

I found this security camera attachment at HD on my last run, and thought it was perfect for one ecto-lens - with a little TLC, of course.

Also, came up with a quick concept sketch for making an "interactive" lens. I've been wanting to find a camera lens with a manual zoom, but either I get outbid on Ebay, or I can't find anything I like, so I'm opting to build it myself. Any advice from what you see here?

I had a similar idea for using a pair of virtual reality goggles to convert into a pair of ecto goggles. I found a pair of VR goggles at my local goodwill for 3 bucks so I bought them. I'm still in the planning stages but I like your idea for the goggle lenses. I had been thinking about ordering more 3d printed front goggle pieces to use with the lenses out of one of those clip on cell phone camera lenses to glue down into the ends of the 3d printed parts.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]