Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Obviously with the movie being sadly delayed, one would assume that the merchandise tied directly into the film would be delayed (food items, anything with the afterlife logo, etc)

But that brings up an odd issue...most of the stuff shown so far scheduled to come out...is not Afterlife centric. We got the reprints of the film novels, a few other books, most of the figures shown at New York Toy Fair were basic generic ghostbusters figures..(the new hasbro series, the plasma series, the retro figures)

In fact, i think the one soul afterlife centric figure was Muncher....Thats all i can recall...

Now obviously i would guess the drink toppers and stuff like that would be delayed...why put that out now when the movies just under a year away...

But do you think the figures and books will still launch on time....seems counter productive to me... Not that i wouldent get them still...but the whole idea is to sell the brand, and why sell the brand when your movie is pushed back 8 months (I still argue it could launch October-December time frame but thats just me)

Thoughts...
I'd say it's almost certain everything will be delayed, the Afterlife tie-in merchandise and non-tie in stuff.

It's been announced earlier this evening that The Last of Us: Part II has been delayed indefinitely due to the Covid-19 situation, more commercial items that aren't essential are going to see the same happen to them as industry shuts down further as the virus gains a deeper foothold in the United States.

And whilst America may not be on full lockdown yet, it's really only a matter of time.
Yes, on the food tie ins since it has expiration date on it, as for the toys and other merchandise likely it will be delayed until closer to the new release date. No Time To Die, the new James Bond movie had a similar thing happen with its merchandise once the Corona Virus arrived in England and the United States. I remember that I was going to order a tie book of photographs taken on the set in April(the original release date) only to discover that it was delayed until November which is the new release date.
As some o you know they've been stocking shelve with Ghostbusters merchandise despite the pandemic.

In The United States anyway. Here in Canada there's been Jack Shit. Don't know if this has something to do with the pandemic or all the merchandise, Like the Ecto- Coolers and GB1 and 2 Blu ray, are exclusive only to the USA.
Canada was lucky enough to get huge displays for the RGB Figures whereas in the U.S. maybe a couple of peghooks and they're mostly empty.

Canada last summer had those kickass 7-11 Slurpee cups as well as the 100oz Stay Puft ones! *

Canadians might not get as much merchandise as the U.S., but occasionally they get cool stuff that's not available anywhere else.

I'll try to dig it up but I recall recently seeing or hearing about a release of the 4k anniversary set being released up there sans the "35th" marking...

* full disclosure I managed to convince a 7-11 marketing guy in the U.S. to send me some!
Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm Canada was lucky enough to get huge displays for the RGB Figures whereas in the U.S. maybe a couple of peghooks and they're mostly empty.
Where in Canada? Not my part of the country. I've been regularly going to Walmart since the beginning and haven't found anything. I have a friend who lives in another province that works for Walmart and he hasn't seen anything either.
deadderek wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:37 pmCanada last summer had those kickass 7-11 Slurpee cups as well as the 100oz Stay Puft ones! *
I've never seen nor been a 7-11 in my life. They're only in certain provinces.
deadderek wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:37 pmCanadians might not get as much merchandise as the U.S., but occasionally they get cool stuff that's not available anywhere else.
When you guys got Ecto-Coolers, we got Crystal Pepsi. I would've preferred the Ecto-Coolers.
deadderek wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:37 pmI'll try to dig it up but I recall recently seeing or hearing about a release of the 4k anniversary set being released up there sans the "35th" marking...
I looked into it, it was a USA exclusive. We did get a Blu ray release of GB 1&2 but it was a re-release of the previous Blu Ray. Special features like the GB2 commercial were not included.
Despite the close locality of Canada to the US, there's nothing written in stone saying you have to get any of the merchandise the US gets.

The UK (understandably, sadly) misses out on more than a few bits of merchandise... None of the Spirit Gear was being sold to the UK due to EU-mandated electronics restrictions, the GB/GBII Blu Ray released for the 35th anniversary will be released in the UK three months after the first film's 36th anniversary, you'd have to get a US-based fan to ship the Gamestop/SDCC ghost clone Ghostbusters from Diamond Select if you wished to own them, and until it was completely postponed, Afterlife was going to be delayed until August so it wouldn't clash with UEFA Euro 2020 (The original movie also didn't see a theatrical release here until December 1984).

I appreciate it's frustrating when merchandise doesn't pop up on your side of the border, but it's subject to licensing and distribution deals... And as frustrating as it is, there are people who do have it worse off.
robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote: August 19th, 2020, 4:57 am Despite the close locality of Canada to the US, there's nothing written in stone saying you have to get any of the merchandise the US gets.
Unfortunately. That doesn't make it any less frustrating when every GB Facebook group is posting pics of all the merch they've come across and your here searching Ebay for the lowest scalper prices. But that's a post for another thread.
The only thing I can suggest is if you have any friends south of the border, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them and see if they're willing to get you some of that stuff... That's ultimately how I had to get both my Spirit Pack and my spectral Ghostbusters figures. :sigh:
janeb984 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:52 pm Not exactly on topic, more of a wish, but...

Wouldn't it be awesome if they used this wait time for the new movie to make a directors cut of the original with deleted scenes put in?

I'm a dreamer, but I'd pay a good bit to see that.
Have you seen the deleted scenes? Most of them are pretty bad. Or they would seriously mess up the perfect pace.

Now Ghostbusters 2? I could see that getting an extended cut. But not the first one.
obiwanjabroni, Kingpin liked this
Believe Ivan said the the theatrical cut was the director cut, but I also thought he said he'd be open to going back and touching up and Gb2. I'm not sure about deleted scenes but there was definitely some outtakes from FanFest that were better than what was in the movie. They'll need to milk the franchise for the 40th anniversary so we'll get some type of director's cut special edition for $50 bucks . Probably George Lucas it.

What I really want is when the afterlife comes out on Blu-ray to put all the footage they have from both movies on it. Getting really tired of buying the same movie over and over just for little upgrades
janeb984 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:52 pmWouldn't it be awesome if they used this wait time for the new movie to make a directors cut of the original with deleted scenes put in?

I'm a dreamer, but I'd pay a good bit to see that.
I'd pay good money to keep the majority of the deleted scenes left out.

The Nobel Peace prize shows a rather unpleasant side to Venkman, even more unpleasant than his usual... And I don't like seeing the guys fighting amongst each other when it's not the result of taking a bath in a river of slime, the same goes with the cut ending of the scene with Dean Yeager.

The Bums scenes, speaks for themselves.

Although the Fort Detmerring scene provides some additional material for Ray and Winston, the dialogue delivery really doesn't feel like their A-Game.

And the Honeymooners scene slows the pace of the film.
Dr.D wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 9:37 am Let's not forget the scene that deserved to be cut the most...Winston wanting to run. The only scene I really wish could've been worked into the movie that was cut was Janine and Egon at the Loading Dock, but I totally understand why it was cut to keep the pacing.
Is that the scene where Venkman does the “Janine didn’t your father tell you never to get involved with no Ghostbuster? Now go on home!”(or something like that). I do find that to be about the only deleted scene that’s funny. His delivery just makes me laugh. But yeah, it would’ve ruined the pacing.

Some movies are note perfect and need not be changed, they are rare but it happens.
A few Examples: Dr. Strangelove, Network, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Pulp Fiction.
I wouldn't want to see any changes done to either film. Full stop. FX, scenes, etc. Ivan has made it pretty clear over the years that the movies in the current form are the "Director's Cut".

Out of crazy curiosity, I would LOVE to see completely alternate versions, though. Jason joked about a "Lawrence of Arabia" cut at Fan Fest. With all of the raw footage being recently discovered/scanned, why not? The Hollywood machine has been out of commission for a while and the elements are there-- waiting. All different takes, different jokes. I don't think it's very likely, but fun to think about.

Hopefully the salt mine discovery will bring out more cut/alternate footage in future home releases, though. I want to see the 1A tearing out of the firehouse at night! I want to see more of the firehouse footage shot on both films, more montage B-roll footage, more alternate improv lines, the Ramis temple f-bomb, jews and berries, the original version of World of the Psychic, early scene edits! Gimme, gimme, gimme. I need, I need...
d_osborn wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm I wouldn't want to see any changes done to either film. Full stop. FX, scenes, etc. Ivan has made it pretty clear over the years that the movies in the current form are the "Director's Cut".

Out of crazy curiosity, I would LOVE to see completely alternate versions, though. Jason joked about a "Lawrence of Arabia" cut at Fan Fest. With all of the raw footage being recently discovered/scanned, why not? The Hollywood machine has been out of commission for a while and the elements are there-- waiting. All different takes, different jokes. I don't think it's very likely, but fun to think about.

Hopefully the salt mine discovery will bring out more cut/alternate footage in future home releases, though. I want to see the 1A tearing out of the firehouse at night! I want to see more of the firehouse footage shot on both films, more montage B-roll footage, more alternate improv lines, the Ramis temple f-bomb, jews and berries, the original version of World of the Psychic, early scene edits! Gimme, gimme, gimme. I need, I need...
What’s this about a salt mine Discovery? I knew they had found some new footage a few years back(the Fort deleted scene etc) but that footage wasn’t found at a salt mine(as far as I know, I heard it was found somewhere in Ivan Reitman’s personal archive. Am I wrong? I could be). So there is footage that was found at a salt mine archive? Are there any articles or details anywhere about this? Very interesting stuff.

Edit: Oh never mind. This is the Ghostbusters fan fest stuff. Right I remember now. That’s where Jason hinted at he had been using some of that unearthed material for “something else”. Gotcha
RichardLess wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:42 pm
d_osborn wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm I wouldn't want to see any changes done to either film. Full stop. FX, scenes, etc. Ivan has made it pretty clear over the years that the movies in the current form are the "Director's Cut".

What’s this about a salt mine Discovery? I knew they had found some new footage a few years back(the Fort deleted scene etc) but that footage wasn’t found at a salt mine(as far as I know, I heard it was found somewhere in Ivan Reitman’s personal archive. Am I wrong? I could be). So there is footage that was found at a salt mine archive? Are there any articles or details anywhere about this? Very interesting stuff.

Edit: Oh never mind. This is the Ghostbusters fan fest stuff. Right I remember now. That’s where Jason hinted at he had been using some of that unearthed material for “something else”. Gotcha
Yup and I believe that footage is what was used to make the news footage we see in the Trailer. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on September 3rd, 2020, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code

We know from Michael Gross' interview in the CineFex GBII magazine issue that they sent the "wrong" print of GBII to Canada. This could explain how a few fans in Toronto remember seeing the Eugene Levy scene present. I also believe that they initially sent some of those prints within the U.S. as well. On Reddit a UK fan remembers seeing the scene of Venkman talking to a city official about the bill after the principle actors' credits.

It's really hard to say with GBII. I'm sure they have a lot of juicy footage. Perhaps they won't release the Eugene Levy scene because they don't want to pay him residuals for it.

Another question I have is about the completed FX vs. the raw footge we've seen in most of the deleted scenes. The snippet of the Ft. Detmerring bed ghost is fully-rendered in the actual film, but the footage we got (which was actually not very good) on the blu-ray was not. So does the footage still exist somewhere, completed? Same goes for the deleted Slimer scenes from GBII. It is brought up in the same CineFex issue I mentioned that they shot the full 30 second sequence of Slimer when he talks to Louis after getting off the bus. Does that exist? If anyone would know, you would D_osborn!
pizzarat wrote: September 9th, 2020, 10:01 am On Reddit a UK fan remembers seeing the scene of Venkman talking to a city official about the bill after the principle actors' credits.
There was a scripted bit with Venkman giving Mayor Lenny a bill outside of the museum. It may have been in one of the comic or novel adaptations.
pizzarat wrote: September 9th, 2020, 10:01 am Another question I have is about the completed FX vs. the raw footge we've seen in most of the deleted scenes. The snippet of the Ft. Detmerring bed ghost is fully-rendered in the actual film, but the footage we got (which was actually not very good) on the blu-ray was not. So does the footage still exist somewhere, completed? Same goes for the deleted Slimer scenes from GBII. It is brought up in the same CineFex issue I mentioned that they shot the full 30 second sequence of Slimer when he talks to Louis after getting off the bus. Does that exist? If anyone would know, you would D_osborn!
I don't think the Detmerring composites were fully finished prior to the scene being edited out of the film. Michael Gross touches on this a little in the Cleanin' doc.

My guess is that the unfinished Detmerring footage on the Blu-ray came from an early assembly edit. The same for the GB2 Slimer footage we've seen-- very rough, early composites that were sent to production for editorial.

The GB2 Slimer/Louis deleted bus scene was shot by ILM, but didn't make it to the compositing stage. I'm pretty sure the plate shots are on Youtube, though. :love:
pizzarat liked this
Yeah, the bill scene is definitely in the November 27, 1988 and February 27, 1989 drafts. It was Peter and Ray giving Lenny the bill with Egon having a great one liner. It looks like it would have been after the bit when they're all stepping down the stairs and all the people are cheering and Mayor Lenny is coming up the stairs inserting himself into it. It appears to have been built upon from the August 5, 1988 draft where before the final battle, the Mayor discreetly has them brought to Gracie Mansion for help and they remind of how they were treated post-GB1 so he caves and states he is prepared to indemnify and insure them against any and all damage claims resulting from anything they do while in the employ of the City. Then at the end, there is no bill scene but they all get in his limo and leave the scene with the Mayor standing in the street dumbstruck.
EXT. CENTRAL PARK - NIGHT (LATER)

The Statue of Liberty is sprawled inert on her back in the park behind the museum, her toga up over her knees. The Mayor looks nearly suicidal. The Ghostbusters stand beside him commiserating.

VENKMAN
She's all right. She's just sleeping it off.

MAYOR
(stricken) We just had it restored.

VENKMAN
This probably isn't a good time to bring this up, but the last time we did a job for the city you stiffed us.

STANTZ
(handing the Mayor an invoice) This is a bill for tonight's job.

The Mayor looks at it and gasps at the amount.

MAYOR
What! This is way too much. (hands the bill back to Venkman) We won't pay.

Venkman looks at the Statue.

VENKMAN
(to Stantz) I think she looks pretty good here, don't you?

STANTZ
Yeah, and a lot easier to get to than that island.

Realizing he has no alternative, the Mayor sighs and takes the bill back.

MAYOR
All right, all right. If you can wait until Monday I'll issue you a check.

SPENGLER
Sorry. No checks. Company policy.
Kingpin liked this

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]