Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Today News broke that MGM would delay the launch of 007's latest adventure "No Time To Die" until November due to the Corona Virus.

Being how Sony and MGM are partners, do you think there is a chance that Ghostbusters Afterlife could be delayed too?

On the one hand, Ghostbusters isn't big in China, atleast nowhere near as big as James Bond is, and if i recall correctly ATC dident even open in china due to there being a band on anything supernatural related...

But on the other hand, Sony is partners with MGM and if they think the virus is that bad (i dont see it being that big of an issue come July) could they delay the film?

I hope not

Thoughts...
yourbigpalal83 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 11:40 am Today News broke that MGM would delay the launch of 007's latest adventure "No Time To Die" until November due to the Corona Virus.

Being how Sony and MGM are partners, do you think there is a chance that Ghostbusters Afterlife could be delayed too?

On the one hand, Ghostbusters isn't big in China, atleast nowhere near as big as James Bond is, and if i recall correctly ATC dident even open in china due to there being a band on anything supernatural related...

But on the other hand, Sony is partners with MGM and if they think the virus is that bad (i dont see it being that big of an issue come July) could they delay the film?

I hope not

Thoughts...
Afterlife simply wont be shown in China due to them banning any movie that deals with the supernatural. But yeah, if it gets bad enough in the US they might delay the movie.
Macktacular liked this
I think it might and as soon as I read this news I came here to see if anyone else thought the same thing.

However it is worth noting that 007 was originally due to be released at the start of April this year (with the premiere happening March 31st) which is relativity soon and its clear that this virus will not be going away by the time the film was going to be released.

Unlike Afterlife, which is due out until July in America and August in parts of Europe, so there's a chance that the Coronavirus may be under control or lessened by by this point, so there would be very little need to delay it.

I think it really hinges on what the situation with the virus is at that point in time. My gut instinct says Afterlife will get a delay of some kind though.
I wouldn't worry about it. China has weird laws about not allowing films involving the supernatural. So Ghostbusters was never going to be shown in China, unlike 007. With 007 supposed to release in a few weeks, that just isn't enough time for China to get a handle on the outbreak. The film was pushed back to November because the summer blockbusters are already set in place and the studios don't want to put 007 up against competing films that might diminish 007's profitability.
Since it is a Summer release, I am sure that Ghostbusters Afterlife will not be affected by the Corona Virus. While I am no scientist, I would think that the World Health Organization should have it under control by then. As a James Bond fan, I am a touch disappointed by this news. No Time To Die has already had enough problems during its production and then this happens. Still, given how successful the pervious have done at the fall box office for the last 25 years, I think that the No Time To Die will still make a profit. Also, even thought MGM and Sony are joined up now Universal is distributing No Time To Die. This is due to the pervious agreement between the Bond Producers and Sony head Amy Pascal ending in 2015.
With the NBA and NHL suspending seasons and Disneyland closing for the time being I would say it is likely we may see the film release delayed. I've waited 30 years, I can wait a few more months if it keeps people from getting ill and spreading it. Sony didn't make this film not to celebrate it and if that means doing so later in the year or the following summer then they will.
Last edited by RealGhostbusterJay on March 15th, 2020, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wafflerobot liked this
I think it's just too early for Sony to make a decision right now.

There really is no way to tell what the situation will be like by July and think there aren't any useful projections to help make a educated guess on it. "No plans" still means it could go either way.
Last edited by Wafflerobot on March 17th, 2020, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadderek liked this
Predictions here in Italy says that we should reach the peak of the spread this week and things should slowly decrease until it'll fade away in mid-late April.

We should be cleared by the virus in May (things started getting really worse in late February). That's a good two months and a half. If in USA things started getting worse now, you should be out by June.
Wafflerobot, Sav C liked this
Marvels 'Black Widow' has been pulled for the time being. It was due to be released May 1st.

Lionsgate have changed the release dates of two of their movies, Antebellum and Spiral: From the Book of Saw to, to Undetermined dates. Antebellum was originally due for a April 24th release date and Spiral was due out May15h.

Meanwhile in the UK, three cinema chains have all temporary closed. Odeon, Cineworld and Picturehouse.
Wafflerobot wrote: March 17th, 2020, 8:59 pm Marvels 'Black Widow' has been pulled for the time being. It was due to be released May 1st.
That would be really bad for Ghostbusters if Black Widow ends up getting rescheduled to July. It is a month Marvel uses for their movies unless they also push back Eternals which is still set for November and go for August. I don't see them trying to compete with Wonder Woman '84 in June.
droidguy1119 wrote:March 5th, 2021.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/morb ... qxaibw5gz0
Sad but necessary. I’m glad that they’re doing that and not going direct to digital.

As someone who was born after 1 and 2 came out and didn’t see ATC in a theater, I’d really like the opportunity to see one on the big screen.
Kingpin liked this
Living in Alberta only short hours from where they filmed it I'm happy they bumped it back but...would have preferred May or even June...it's still snowy and -20 here now..in April. I was looking forward to throwing on the suit in not snow like weather...ah well.
Last edited by RealGhostbusterJay on April 25th, 2020, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Morphin GB liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]