Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By mrmichaelt
Sav C wrote: September 21st, 2020, 9:16 pm The whole copyright scandal happened right after the first film, right? Did they have trouble sorting things out so that they could use the song in GBII?
Well, apparently they had no big issue doing so because Run DMC licensed it for their song on the GB2 soundtrack.
Sav C liked this
By One time
GB2 came in a time (late 80’s) when everything was rap music. Personally I think rap music doesn’t suit the premise of Ghostbusters at all.
By RealGhostbusterJay
The soundtracks seem to be a reflection of the time period. ATC had a selection of songs and tracks that were reflective of that time as well. I personally have a few likes on the sequel soundtrack as well as the original but not every track from every soundtrack.
By ghoulishfright
Watching this podcast with Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance, and I couldn't help but notice the RGB figures he's got on the shelf behind him. Wouldn't it be cool if MCR was on the soundtrack? Seems like the kinda band Finn Wolfhard's character might listen to. I dunno...

By ghoulishfright
Eh, they're better than 99% of bands/performers nowadays. I just hope we don't get a bunch of Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry type crap...
By RichardLess
One time wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:14 pm GB2 came in a time (late 80’s) when everything was rap music. Personally I think rap music doesn’t suit the premise of Ghostbusters at all.
Lol. What??

I had to re read this a few times. You don’t think rap music fits the premise of Ghostbusters?

For Christ sakes, one of the songs on the soundtrack is a rap song literally rapping the premise of Ghostbusters 2.

I’m trying to figure out how Ghostbusters lends itself to one type of music... but not another. It’s all music. You may not like rap music. That’s fine. But the only type of music that doesn’t work with Ghostbusters is...I don’t know? Polka?
By d_osborn
I don't get the whole rap/hip-hop complaint. I mean, Elton John and Glenn Frey are on it, too!

Fun soundtrack bit, the July 83 script had Winston and Ray listening to "Bad Company" in the Ectomobile while talking about judgement day.

Last edited by Kingpin on September 30th, 2020, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
mrmichaelt liked this
By Kingpin
d_osborn wrote: September 29th, 2020, 9:51 pm Fun soundtrack bit, the July 83 script had Winston and Ray listening to "Bad Company" in the Ectomobile while talking about judgement day.

I'm glad they went with Bernstein's score instead, that song was forgettable.
groschopf liked this
By groschopf
Bad Company, by the band Bad Company? Yuck.

Seeing this thread reminded me that I built a playlist of speculative soundtrack selections prior to the trailer coming out.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4nvgN ... o3Q8JQP4jw

I could stand to update it now the cover artwork says GB20, meaning I didn't even know what the film was going to be called. I am surprised to see I had Billie Ellish on this thing before she got heavy airplay. Just seemed creepy and appropriate at the time to put "bury a friend" in a film about losing someone in the paranormal removal business.

Also, I know they won't use the Dandy Warhol's "Scientist" in the film, but I'll be tempted to stitch that music to footage of the Ecto-1 blasting around once the film comes out.
By groschopf
Doe anyone remember what the '90s rap EP was that Reitman referenced in the last year? I thought he shared a picture on Instagram of a record, but I can't find it.
By SpiderFan2k3
RichardLess wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:18 pm For Christ sakes, one of the songs on the soundtrack is a rap song literally rapping the premise of Ghostbusters 2.
There were 2. Bobby Brown's Own Our Own and Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew's Spirit. Both lay out the plot.

I miss the good old days when songs on a soundtrack actually had something to do with the film.
By ghoulishfright
SpiderFan2k3 wrote:There were 2. Bobby Brown's Own Our Own and Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew's Spirit. Both lay out the plot.

I miss the good old days when songs on a soundtrack actually had something to do with the film.
Agreed. Especially when the stars of the film were the ones singing the songs (and dancing in the music videos). Case in point:

By RealGhostbusterJay
I'm less concerned with the soundtrack and more interested in how the score will sound to be fair. The Elmer and Randy scores are like the soundtracks very different from each other but to be honest the score for Elmer really hits the scary, fun or funny style GB generally is supposed to be. Randy's s core sorta sounds like a generic90's romantic comedy score. I'm not saying it doesn't have nice moments but for most the original score is much more attuned to the film it represents.

The soundtrack I'm sure will again feature artists that represent our current period but maybe we'll have a lot more new artists who are not hugely popular or known right now. Ray said he isn't even sure the original song will be in the new film...Shesus I hope Jason gets that thought out of his head if he's considering it. Trailer is one thing but no version of the song on the new film?...Have to see I guess.
Last edited by RealGhostbusterJay on October 9th, 2020, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By One time
RichardLess wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:18 pm
One time wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 9:14 pm GB2 came in a time (late 80’s) when everything was rap music. Personally I think rap music doesn’t suit the premise of Ghostbusters at all.
Lol. What??

I had to re read this a few times. You don’t think rap music fits the premise of Ghostbusters?

For Christ sakes, one of the songs on the soundtrack is a rap song literally rapping the premise of Ghostbusters 2.

I’m trying to figure out how Ghostbusters lends itself to one type of music... but not another. It’s all music. You may not like rap music. That’s fine. But the only type of music that doesn’t work with Ghostbusters is...I don’t know? Polka?
I love rap, r&b, hip hop, dancehall, etc. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking the genre.

I thought Bernstein’s quirky piano riff suited the theme and mood of Ghostbusters.

I think the rap music in GB2 didn’t and believe it was included simply because the genre was in the zeitgeist of the late 80’s.

I still maintain that music by something like Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, N.W.A. or the Wu-Tang Clan would add a confusing and unnecessary slant on the thematic content of Ghostbusters. I even thought Bobby Brown and Run DMC’s music were off putting in a GB movie. Something either fits or it doesn’t.

But that’s my opinion. You may love rap music and want to see it in the franchise and we don’t have to agree.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]