Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Kingpin wrote: January 30th, 2021, 5:47 pm
timeware wrote: January 30th, 2021, 4:22 pmBesides were in the middle of a pandemic, people are playing games 24/7 so it would make sense that companies like Gamestop would be doing well at the moment.
The impression I've gotten is that despite the generally-captive audience of people furloughed at home, GameStope wasn't faring well until those redditers stepped in.
timeware wrote: January 30th, 2021, 4:22 pmWhen you get a large group of people trying to get something to trend that's not a diffcult thing to accomplish with social media these days.
They weren't trying to "get something to trend", they were exposing a bunch of people trying to short the company's stock price. The reason it trended was because a bunch of amateur investors ensured a bunch of Hedge Fund managers bit off more than they could chew thinking the underhanded gamble they were playing with GameStop was a sure thing.
timeware wrote: January 30th, 2021, 4:22 pmThink the big guys are getting scared of the little guys here? I'm not an expert in Math or trading. Outside looking in it seems like there's a push to squash this thing.
It definitely looks like they're scared. A group of people were able to flex a financial muscle they don't get to use very often, and it cost some greedy bastards money.
Gamestop has been in a tight, death spiral for quite a while mainly due to the convenience of digital game purchases and the ease of Amazon for other items. They've tried to sell themselves twice with no serious takers. They've been known to be a garbage company when it comes to their employees for years and somehow trying to pass themselves off as an essential business pissed off a LOT of people including a couple governors here in the tri-state area who forced them to close their doors (like... after MONTHS of still being open, but still). All of that said, Gamestop being at the center of this is AMAZING since, at the end of the day, no one really cares what happens to the company! If this ends up shutting down Gamestop, oh well. That was going to happen anyway. If it HELPS them, it'll only be short term at best.
Sav C liked this
zeta otaku wrote: January 30th, 2021, 4:40 pm -sniffs the wind-

Hmm... smells like another temporary lock is on the horizon...

Anyway, slightly Afterlife related: The Plasma Series Ecti-1 is in my Target. I know the actual Plasma figures don't fit in it, but I was thinking maybe the freight figures will?
My understanding is they're going to release in scale figures for it.
I guess the reason we haven't seen them is because they must be spoilerish. Maybe the OGBs all old and the kids.
deadderek liked this
zeta otaku wrote: January 30th, 2021, 7:15 pm
Kingpin wrote: January 30th, 2021, 5:47 pm

The impression I've gotten is that despite the generally-captive audience of people furloughed at home, GameStope wasn't faring well until those redditers stepped in.

They weren't trying to "get something to trend", they were exposing a bunch of people trying to short the company's stock price. The reason it trended was because a bunch of amateur investors ensured a bunch of Hedge Fund managers bit off more than they could chew thinking the underhanded gamble they were playing with GameStop was a sure thing.

It definitely looks like they're scared. A group of people were able to flex a financial muscle they don't get to use very often, and it cost some greedy bastards money.
Gamestop has been in a tight, death spiral for quite a while mainly due to the convenience of digital game purchases and the ease of Amazon for other items. They've tried to sell themselves twice with no serious takers. They've been known to be a garbage company when it comes to their employees for years and somehow trying to pass themselves off as an essential business pissed off a LOT of people including a couple governors here in the tri-state area who forced them to close their doors (like... after MONTHS of still being open, but still). All of that said, Gamestop being at the center of this is AMAZING since, at the end of the day, no one really cares what happens to the company! If this ends up shutting down Gamestop, oh well. That was going to happen anyway. If it HELPS them, it'll only be short term at best.
I've had a love/hate relationship with Gamestop over the years. My best memory from this company was the wonderful pre-order message Dan sent out for the Ghostbusters Game. My biggest gripe is what they're doing with Think Geek.

The plasma series Ecto is incredible. Are the plasma figures to scale with the new lego ecto?
Merrimon liked this
timeware wrote: January 30th, 2021, 7:49 pm
zeta otaku wrote: January 30th, 2021, 7:15 pm

I've had a love/hate relationship with Gamestop over the years. My best memory from this company was the wonderful pre-order message Dan sent out for the Ghostbusters Game. My biggest gripe is what they're doing with Think Geek.

The plasma series Ecto is incredible. Are the plasma figures to scale with the new lego ecto?
They're closer in scale to the UCS Ecto-1 than the Plasma Ecto-1. Actually, just checked with Plasma Winston and he's REAL close in scale to it! I might have to try to build a pack rack for this! :D
I was just thinking of how cool it would be if we all could see GBA together for the first time. All of us on this GBfans board who’ve been waiting around for years, decades even, for this movie. I’d truly, *truly* love to see the reactions of Kingpin, Alpha, Sav C, Deadderek, mrmichaelt, Droidguy and everyone else whose names I’m too lazy to type out. I know that sentiment isn’t shared by everyone but it’s something I think would be cool. Maybe when the movie finally comes out on DVD/Blu ray(so long as we all aren’t in nursing homes by then) we can do some kind of “watch party”. I don’t know how that would work, but again, might be cool/fun.
mrmichaelt, deadderek, RedSpecial and 6 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:31 am I was just thinking of how cool it would be if we all could see GBA together for the first time. All of us on this GBfans board who’ve been waiting around for years, decades even, for this movie. I’d truly, *truly* love to see the reactions of Kingpin, Alpha, Sav C, Deadderek, mrmichaelt, Droidguy and everyone else whose names I’m too lazy to type out. I know that sentiment isn’t shared by everyone but it’s something I think would be cool. Maybe when the movie finally comes out on DVD/Blu ray(so long as we all aren’t in nursing homes by then) we can do some kind of “watch party”. I don’t know how that would work, but again, might be cool/fun.
A mass zoom call.

Or..a stream of the film via youtube with all us commenting with each other in the side bar. Gbfans will have to host and create a youtube channel or zoom account.

Id be so down for this and put faces to all the bickering lol

Its been a long journey i remember some of you from years ago when our home was at Gbcentral with Chad.

I think i started account to talk gb3 back in 2002ish
deadderek, RedSpecial, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
PS: Was also thinking..its almost like a “what do we do from here?” Moment

For 20 plus years of slinging back and forth theories and treating Gb3 like a myth..

Years of being stuck in development hell, little rumor tidbits from dan, harold, and ivan every once in a while.

Then we got the game, then the reboot. Then it seemed the film itself was surely enough shelved, another few years before another reboot at the very least, but not a sequel to the ogs.

From the 90s through the 00s..the movie felt like a unifying spiritual quest, a goal that kept conversations churning. A movie we knew would never see the light of day but we still held out hope.

It might not be the gb3 we all expected or thought of in our heads over the years..it might be great, it might suck, it might be what we wanted and more..and it might be the most disappointing thing we ever saw..we wont know until we see it...either way its still a true THIRD GB film and it EXISTS..and its awaiting a release..ya know that “movie” that was purely just a pipedream to all of us. Its weird to think about.

Now..in a few months that long wait will be over.

Maybe im going on about nothing, whats everyone elses take?
I worry that we've hyped ourselves up over a potential GB3 over the past few decades, that there's no way this film can fully live up to our expectations. Believe me, I want it to be good, and I welcome the fresh approach that they're bringing to the material, but my worst fear is to see it and be thinking, "When are Bill, Dan, and Ernie going to show up?"
BatDan, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
I share those same sentiments, to me ghostbusters IS those characters and the world they inhabit. but i have an intuition theyre saving it for the big marketing push. I think thats why theyre scrambling to give us anything new too soon and keep showing us pretty much the same stuff in different angles, the kids, the ecto, etc.

ernie confirmed theyll be in the suits saving the world again, so we can breathe about that.

Judging from the trailer and Groobersons takes, its gonna build up the legacy from the first to second act, with maybe winston leading the story arc this time (ernie stated Winston will be a complete character in this film as opposed to his supporting roles in the first two)

So itll all be build up and we wont see the full team until the last act to help with the big showdown.

Thats my theory from piecing things together.
RichardLess wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:31 am I was just thinking of how cool it would be if we all could see GBA together for the first time. All of us on this GBfans board who’ve been waiting around for years, decades even, for this movie. I’d truly, *truly* love to see the reactions of Kingpin, Alpha, Sav C, Deadderek, mrmichaelt, Droidguy and everyone else whose names I’m too lazy to type out. I know that sentiment isn’t shared by everyone but it’s something I think would be cool. Maybe when the movie finally comes out on DVD/Blu ray(so long as we all aren’t in nursing homes by then) we can do some kind of “watch party”. I don’t know how that would work, but again, might be cool/fun.
That would be really lovely - a like-minded but not entirely identical crowd there’s already some shorthand with. Yeah, I’d be well up for it!
BatDan wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:18 pm PS: Was also thinking..its almost like a “what do we do from here?” Moment

For 20 plus years of slinging back and forth theories and treating Gb3 like a myth..

Years of being stuck in development hell, little rumor tidbits from dan, harold, and ivan every once in a while.

Then we got the game, then the reboot. Then it seemed the film itself was surely enough shelved, another few years before another reboot at the very least, but not a sequel to the ogs.

From the 90s through the 00s..the movie felt like a unifying spiritual quest, a goal that kept conversations churning. A movie we knew would never see the light of day but we still held out hope.

It might not be the gb3 we all expected or thought of in our heads over the years..it might be great, it might suck, it might be what we wanted and more..and it might be the most disappointing thing we ever saw..we wont know until we see it...either way its still a true THIRD GB film and it EXISTS..and its awaiting a release..ya know that “movie” that was purely just a pipedream to all of us. Its weird to think about.

This is going to sound crazy, but whatever. For so long Ghostbusters 3 has been apart of my life. Wanting it, reading about it, speculating, getting your hopes up, dreaming about it. It’s been this mysterious unknowable thing. I was 9 years old when I first started searching the internet for details on this movie. I did a show & tell @ school the day after I saw a news report about a potential GB3 going into production. I want this movie and I want it BADLY...and yet. There’s some small part of me that is almost, maybe “relieved” isn’t the right word but everytime it’s been pushed back, there’s a small part of me that knows seeing a 3rd Ghostbusters movie will represent a huge chapter closing in my life. A chapter that part of me doesn’t want to close. My father passed away a few years ago & he’s pretty much the reason I’m a fan at all. Not being able to see this movie with him? Man.. After my reaction to seeing Luke effing Skywalker in his prime in The Mandalorian, I think when I see Ray, Winston & Venkman suited up with packs on their back? I’m going to be a blubbering man-child mess. I’ve cried at a movie once. Toy Story 3(that ending hit me HARD. I still can’t watch that movie with getting depressed for days lol). There’s just no way I don’t ball my eyes out seeing my heroes again. No way.

One of the things I’m most excited about is the thought that when they release this movie on blu ray they’ll include a “making of documentary” that covers everything. All the ups & downs and different permutations this movie has gone thru.

As Ray once said to Winston: “Yeah, but what a ride...”
BatDan, deadderek, RedSpecial and 1 others liked this
I remember that interview in November 2018 when Dan hinted that the third movie was finally being developed. I had a strong feeling, just from the earnestness of his delivery, that it was actually going to happen.

The roller coaster's been totally worth it, dating back to the wild series of news events/articles from 1999/2000 when it seemed like it was going to happen, and then the rug was completely pulled away. That was a super dark time for anything new GB in general, but look where we are now. Every day spent waiting that is truly appreciated makes this project ultimately even better for me, personally.
I always kind of wanted a "Back in the Saddle" take on a live action Ghostbusters so this is as close as we'll get. I'll settle for Ghostbusters Jr and if it evolves into Extreme in future films that's fine as well. This is the fresh take our franchise needs pulling in the younger audience, then keeping us...OG's feeding Slimer our cash.

I liked ATC and this isn't a knock but it only played to one crowd. This film will bring everyone back and possibly add some new fans. What I really want out of this movie is some Ecto Cooler.
BatDan, Glenn Frederick liked this
timeware wrote: January 31st, 2021, 5:49 pm I always kind of wanted a "Back in the Saddle" take on a live action Ghostbusters so this is as close as we'll get. I'll settle for Ghostbusters Jr and if it evolves into Extreme in future films that's fine as well. This is the fresh take our franchise needs pulling in the younger audience, then keeping us...OG's feeding Slimer our cash.

I liked ATC and this isn't a knock but it only played to one crowd. This film will bring everyone back and possibly add some new fans. What I really want out of this movie is some Ecto Cooler.
Same. Back in the saddle was awesome, (in fact..xgbs on hulu i might give it a watch)

If afterlifes shaping up to what i think it is. Its the best route for a new film, just do a completely new story totally devoid of the formulas from the first two, while paying tribute to them all at once.

Though a “live action” XGB-style film wouldve been great too.

I wasnt a fan of ATC..i got into alot of battles on that one. I was a firm believer it wasnt the best route for the franchise...before Alpha gets on me again ill shut up. Lol

Im holding out hope for Ecto Cooler...i stocked up on that during 2016. But i plowed through it and gained alot of weight..they were addicting to crack open and indulge in that juicy nostalgia (literally)
Kingpin, timeware, Alphagaia liked this
For me, the 20 years of waiting was just for another Ghostbusters movie, and around 2009 I had already started to think that was going to end up being a reboot because there was such a sense that Sony was not going to pull the trigger without Bill on board, and at the time I felt certain he wasn't going to do it. So I went through the entire emotional high throughout 2014, 2015, and in the lead up to release in 2016. I, of course, liked the movie in the end, but during that whole run, before it was possible to have an opinion on the film itself, it was the same thing as far as I was concerned, a new entry in my favorite series (even if the less-than-ideal community reaction to it was a bummer).

And now I get another one, which is like icing on the cake.

As for the release date, at this juncture, I can't say whether or not the November date goes off as planned, but what I will say is that November is the first date where it seems like there's at least a 50-50 possibility that it would work out. Both March 2021 and June 2021 were dates where I went from not feeling like I had enough information to call to thinking there was no way they were going to stick.
robbritton, deadderek liked this
BatDan wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:18 pm PS: Was also thinking..its almost like a “what do we do from here?” Moment

It has been an incredible journey and ride getting a sequel made. For me the 2009 Video Game satisfied the Ghostbusters 3 itch. It was everything I could have hoped for in a potential sequel and much more. When the third film started picking up some traction I thought that it would just be the cherry on top of he franchise. Then the film turned into ATC and I was extremely disappointed. Not going to just take a pot shot at the film I am extremely happy that there was quite a few people that got enjoyment out of it and I really wish I was one of them, but it just wasn't for me.

I was really bummed that ATC was possibly the last film we were going to get from the franchise. However again I was probably a bit hard on ATC after being so extremely satisfied with the 2009 Video Game. One way or another the game was going to be tough act to follow with me.

When this new movie was announced I was excited that it was going to be a true sequel to the original movies. Then the next day we were showed that teaser and I was sold. I have been riding an incredible high ever since. I have enjoyed every bit of news we have been given and I am sure that when I go see Afterlife it will be the most fun I have had in a movie theater since I saw Ghostbusters 2 in 1989. :):):)
RedSpecial, Merrimon liked this
Prime 1986 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 6:29 am Found a video saying either a bunch of spoilers or complete malarkey. But it apparently describes new GB Afterlife themed Lego sets
https://youtu.be/MLaxkM--tLg
As soon as I hear their source is an "insider email that matches up with 4chan speculation" I dipped out.
Kingpin liked this
The sets that were "Leaked" are
This Post Contains Spoilers
I remember this leak about the..
This Post Contains Spoilers

...anyway i remember it from a few months ago. It might be the same rumor. I doubt it holds any weight...Seems a little out of left field just to reference in some classic stuff.

November or a new trailer cant come soon enough to piece this together..
Prime 1986 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 11:20 am The 4chan thing was apparently taken down, but they said in the vid he found it in a comments section on a movie subreddit
That's not a good source either.

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]