Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Kingpin wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:21 am I think that would be wise, David. A good portion of the UK will be entering a second (shorter) lockdown on Thursday, intended to last until early December.
Well, our government is deciding in this very moment how to proceed. They're excluding another national lockdown, preferring regional lockdowns where the infected are higher than the rest of the country.
Davideverona wrote: November 1st, 2020, 12:25 pm
Kingpin wrote: November 1st, 2020, 11:21 am I think that would be wise, David. A good portion of the UK will be entering a second (shorter) lockdown on Thursday, intended to last until early December.
Well, our government is deciding in this very moment how to proceed. They're excluding another national lockdown, preferring regional lockdowns where the infected are higher than the rest of the country.
Not to alarm you, but that's what's my government tried at first as well.

And now we are at partial lockdown again, because people didn't take it serious enough.
Did anyone see where the GBII sign was hung at Hook & Ladder 8 for the holiday? What a perfect way to foreshadow Afterlife thirty years later. This movie is just going to rule. And I will be the first person to pre-order Randy Edelman's score from II, which is finally being released in 2021.

I cropped and edited the photo, and that sign is just beautiful swinging in the wind.

deadderek, SpaceBallz, Sav C and 3 others liked this
pizzarat wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm Did anyone see where the GBII sign was hung at Hook & Ladder 8 for the holiday? What a perfect way to foreshadow Afterlife thirty years later. This movie is just going to rule. And I will be the first person to pre-order Randy Edelman's score from II, which is finally being released in 2021.

I cropped and edited the photo, and that sign is just beautiful swinging in the wind.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but dont H&L8 hang that sign out every Halloween?
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:09 pm
pizzarat wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm Did anyone see where the GBII sign was hung at Hook & Ladder 8 for the holiday? What a perfect way to foreshadow Afterlife thirty years later. This movie is just going to rule. And I will be the first person to pre-order Randy Edelman's score from II, which is finally being released in 2021.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but dont H&L8 hang that sign out every Halloween?
Possibly, but I don't remember seeing this last year.
deadderek liked this
Let's keep the thread more on topic though:

Simply put I don't see a trailer for the Super Bowl happening. Nope.
groschopf, devilmanozzy liked this
As far as the release of this movie goes. The thing to watch is "No Time to Kill" the new James bond movie.

Here is a video describing the situation with it and why it's the canary in the coal mine.

https://youtu.be/OWlC5o-E3-4
deadderek liked this
I'm surprised that streaming services would offer to buy a movie like No Time to Die for $600 million, but these are strange times. I really want to see Afterlife in theaters. I'm not usually a theater goer--I have to be really hyped about a movie to see it on the silver screen. Plus I want to get a chance to watch it in 3D if possible. I'm not a 3d guy, but I want to experience this movie in every way possible.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 2nd, 2020, 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
I'm not sure why the GB fandom gets riled up over Afterlife content we aren't even told we're getting.

FanFest for instance. Not Jason, Sony nor anyone involved said we would be getting ANYthing Afterlife related. Outside of "they've all read the script" it was entirely devoted to prior GB movies/media/etc but some still got upset we didn't get anything else.

Ghostbusters Day 2020. We were promised nothing (and obviously COVID interfered) and yet when it came fans were whining that we didn't get to see a new poster/trailer/etc (even though we did see a tiny bit of new footage)

Hasbro Ghostbusters event. Once again fandom went nuts and wild with speculation and rumors. A toy event and I kept hearing "oh we totally are getting a new trailer derp". Uhm...why would anyone think that?

October/Halloween. Not including that Twitter account that gets debunked every post...but same thing. Tons of people expecting a new trailer to drop on Halloween when we had ZERO reason to expect one coming.

I just roll my eyes because this fandoms expectations are insane.
Sav C, devilmanozzy liked this
Zero reasoning for a Halloween trailer?
Come on man! It's god dang freaking Halloween, the whole entire reasoning behind Ghost busters! Expectations for anything Ghostbusters released on Halloween is to be expected. Now if there isn't an announcement I can agree to some extent that people shouldn't be dissapointed if a trailer doesn't show up.

The speculation is on us, we all do it. But to say zero reasoning to expect a trailer on Halloween that's..Like saying Al Bundy isn't married with Children. The movies in the can, it's expected to expect a trailer.

But I will add one thing. The marketing has been terrible. I'm thankful for the legos, and Egon's wand, and the little bit we have so far. But the perfect time for advertising even with covid would be this year. This holiday season. I truly hope products are pushed out in the next two months.
timeware wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:58 pm Zero reasoning for a Halloween trailer?
Come on man! It's god dang freaking Halloween, the whole entire reasoning behind Ghost busters! Expectations for anything Ghostbusters released on Halloween is to be expected. Now if there isn't an announcement I can agree to some extent that people shouldn't be dissapointed if a trailer doesn't show up.

The speculation is on us, we all do it. But to say zero reasoning to expect a trailer on Halloween that's..Like saying Al Bundy isn't married with Children. The movies in the can, it's expected to expect a trailer.

But I will add one thing. The marketing has been terrible. I'm thankful for the legos, and Egon's wand, and the little bit we have so far. But the perfect time for advertising even with covid would be this year. This holiday season. I truly hope products are pushed out in the next two months.
Halloween is not "the whole entire reasoning" behind Ghostbusters. It makes a great Halloween movie sure but the point I'm trying to make is the fandom keeps getting riled up when there is ZERO reasons to get that way.

We aren't teased by Sony in any way yet people get crazy and get disappointed when their wild assumptions aren't met. It makes no sense.
With the ever moving goal post of a release date it makes sense that we haven't seen much in the advertisment area.
Why waste money on advertising a movie that could end up being moved again?
Sony will be playing it by ear.
If June is a lock. A true lock.
Then I'd imagine we'd start seeing advertisements and products promoting it around March. Maybe earlier, but not by much.
deadderek, mrmichaelt, robbritton and 3 others liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm With the ever moving goal post of a release date it makes sense that we haven't seen much in the advertisment area.
Why waste money on advertising a movie that could end up being moved again?
Sony will be playing it by ear.
If June is a lock. A true lock.
Then I'd imagine we'd start seeing advertisements and products promoting it around March. Maybe earlier, but not by much.
I do feel it wouldn't be asking too much for a new poster or a couple new non spoiler pixs from the movie.

I can only stare at the leaked pics for so long. (JK can look at them forever)
Sav C, mrmichaelt liked this
That seems logical Hairy.
But if we go through another lock down i have a feeling it will go straight to digital. Bill and Ted made 30 million which was kind of disappointing. They had trailers sure, but very, very little merchandise to sell along with the release.

I don't want to see the movie released to digital without merchandise going alongside it. Lets say hypothetically Afterlife makes 90 mill. They could possibly double that by merchandise, and advertising. Maybe it would help to start that process in January?

They could still plan on releasing Bill and Ted with a theatrical release down the road. Might help a little.
Personally, I don't see us getting anything new this year. Between hearing things about another lock down, the questionable state theaters will be in, and who the hell knows what else 2020 or 2021 will throw at us, I can understand Sony not wanting to throw money at advertising for something that may not even come out in theaters domestically.

I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. Pessimistic would be "It's never going to release because Sony won't make their investment back from on-demand streaming and theaters are going to be dead!" Realistic is what I posted above.

Also, from a personal place: wear a damn mask and don't be an idiot. I'm currently barred from work due to a co-worker being stupid, getting infected, not telling anyone and STILL showing up at the job. He's in the hospital and the rest of us are waiting for test results to come back.

Anyway, back to more fun things: Whenever this movie comes out, I'm renting out a theater and doing a private group viewing of it!
Sav C, deadderek, mrmichaelt and 4 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:53 pm Well, they released the first trailer in December for a July release.

What about another one next month for the new June release date?
zeta otaku wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:59 pm Personally, I don't see us getting anything new this year. Between hearing things about another lock down, the questionable state theaters will be in, and who the hell knows what else 2020 or 2021 will throw at us, I can understand Sony not wanting to throw money at advertising for something that may not even come out in theaters domestically.

I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. Pessimistic would be "It's never going to release because Sony won't make their investment back from on-demand streaming and theaters are going to be dead!" Realistic is what I posted above.
I've been content with the sporadic bts featurette snippets on Sony's YouTube, the scoring session posts in social media, or toy images. But hope springs eternal.
zeta otaku wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:59 pm Also, from a personal place: wear a damn mask and don't be an idiot. I'm currently barred from work due to a co-worker being stupid, getting infected, not telling anyone and STILL showing up at the job. He's in the hospital and the rest of us are waiting for test results to come back.

Anyway, back to more fun things: Whenever this movie comes out, I'm renting out a theater and doing a private group viewing of it!
Man, that is awful. I hope you and your co-workers get negative results.
For the sake of this movie I think the best strategy is for them to suspend the marketing completely until a release date is concrete. They had a carefully planned marketing strategy, so it would be terrible for the franchise and studio to waste it. As hard as it is for us fans waiting.

At least we have that leaked Lego Ecto to build over xmas...
deadderek, Alphagaia, devilmanozzy and 1 others liked this
It was locked? Weird didn't see that.

Anyone else think it's odd official Afterlife merchandise (so far anyways) doesn't actually say Ghostbusters: Afterlife on it? No one?

Sure the rivited logo but it's still odd...
zeta otaku wrote: November 1st, 2020, 10:59 pm Personally, I don't see us getting anything new this year. Between hearing things about another lock down, the questionable state theaters will be in, and who the hell knows what else 2020 or 2021 will throw at us, I can understand Sony not wanting to throw money at advertising for something that may not even come out in theaters domestically.

Also, from a personal place: wear a damn mask and don't be an idiot. I'm currently barred from work due to a co-worker being stupid, getting infected, not telling anyone and STILL showing up at the job. He's in the hospital and the rest of us are waiting for test results to come back.

My daughter's kindergarten teacher did the same exact thing. Thirty children in the 3-5 age span quarantined, their families too.

On a gb related note, if you'll rent a theatre for a private view I'll happily buy a plane ticket to come and see it; I'll just need a place where I can eat and sleep. 😁
deadderek, zeta otaku liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]