Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
To be fair the GB3 we all wanted is never going to happen.

It's already been stated this is a passing of the torch movie, whereas we wanted all the original 4 characters as the main focus.

Wanna have more fun? Within the first couple pages of this thread, I posted a screencap of a post I made in 2002 saying we would never get a Ghostbusters 3.

Saying Afterlife won't be moved up is a very sound thing to assume. Sorry you can't understand that.

I was suprised just how badly ATC bombed though, and am at least happy it's the reason we're getting Afterlife at least.
Hey I know that it is just a matter of opinion, of course I have said it a million times, but for me the Ghostbusters 3 that I wanted with the main original being the focus came in the form of the 2009 video game.

I know it doesn't count because it is not a movie, but I have recorded my best run at the game and put it on a DVD and I have watched it along with the first 2 movies and it really feels like a solid trilogy. Again there is a lot of debate on weather the Game will be canon in Afterlife and in the long run it doesn't matter because I doubt that the game will be referenced. Again nothing to confirm nor deny. I am pretty sure Afterlife is just going to be a satisfying close to the era of the OGBs and a satisfying opening to a new era. Even if there are no more films Afterlife will let us know what has become of The world we know and love and where it will be potentally going in the future. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on August 6th, 2020, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This line from the first movie popped in my head last night:

"After the First World War, Shandor decided that society was too sick to survive."

Perhaps that was meant literally. World War I ended in the same year that the 1918 Influenza Pandemic began.

Since the new film is doing a deep dive into the Shandor mythology... I wonder if that pandemic would be part of the backstory about the cult. Might also be a reason (among so many) that the studio would be hesitant to release the film until this current pandemic abates.
deadderek wrote:Not happening.
Looking at the list of films impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, I'm mostly inclined to agree. The films that are having a VOD release, for the most part, are not highly anticipated films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... 9_pandemic

I will say that Mulan is a bit of a test case. If that film does really good numbers on a subscription service, then I could see studios adopting that strategy.

I still say that the movie theaters missed a golden opportunity to set up temporary drive-in theaters in their parking lots. While certain films likely would have been pushed back due to needing time for editing and scoring, etc., others could still have been shown.
If people were smart reopening drive in's and building new ones would be a good start up. It would be cheaper then building a regal.

It would be fairly simple to add in a no contactless snack bar. A drive in with a sonic would be frakking awesome.

But back to the date being changed I understand that March is the date they've set. Again doesn't mean that if things improve the date can't be changed again. Our stubbornness on our opinions won't be changing anytime soon.
deadderek wrote: August 5th, 2020, 9:07 pm To be fair the GB3 we all wanted is never going to happen.

It's already been stated this is a passing of the torch movie, whereas we wanted all the original 4 characters as the main focus.

Wanna have more fun? Within the first couple pages of this thread, I posted a screencap of a post I made in 2002 saying we would never get a Ghostbusters 3.

Saying Afterlife won't be moved up is a very sound thing to assume. Sorry you can't understand that.

I was suprised just how badly ATC bombed though, and am at least happy it's the reason we're getting Afterlife at least.
Man. Seeing a post from July 22nd 2002 is a trip. To think that was 18 years ago. My god. Where does all that time go? 2002 was such an amazing, important summer for me. 18 years ago. How is that even possible? I would give anything in an instant if I could just go back to that summer. Memories are all we have and sometimes they just aren’t enough. Memories are a tease sometimes. We can never get those moments back.

If there are any kids or teenagers reading this, please listen to me, cherish it. Cherish it. I know all adults say that and it means nothing. Adults use to say it to me and like you I just brushed them off. “Yeah right” I would say “You adults can do anything you want, drive, smoke, drink, stay up all night”. But it’ll be gone like *that*. And you can never get it back. So cherish it. You’ll thank me when someone posts a screen grab of a post you made in 2020.

Sigh. 18 years! I can’t even...
robbritton, Sav C, seekandannoy and 1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote:
deadderek wrote: August 5th, 2020, 9:07 pm To be fair the GB3 we all wanted is never going to happen.

Man. Seeing a post from July 22nd 2002 is a trip. To think that was 18 years ago. My god. Where does all that time go? 2002 was such an amazing, important summer for me. 18 years ago. How is that even possible? I would give anything in an instant if I could just go back to that summer. Memories are all we have and sometimes they just aren’t enough. Memories are a tease sometimes. We can never get those moments back.

If there are any kids or teenagers reading this, please listen to me, cherish it. Cherish it. I know all adults say that and it means nothing. Adults use to say it to me and like you I just brushed them off. “Yeah right” I would say “You adults can do anything you want, drive, smoke, drink, stay up all night”. But it’ll be gone like *that*. And you can never get it back. So cherish it. You’ll thank me when someone posts a screen grab of a post you made in 2020.

Sigh. 18 years! I can’t even...
In July 2002 I was heading into my junior year of college. My summer job was mowing the lawn for the town's properties (the cemetery, the commons, the small area next to the fire department). I'd get home late afternoon, hop in the pool and then have dinner. Then I'd either go to a house party or play the Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube all night. Wash, rinse, repeat. I miss those days. I had very few responsibilities, and whatever stress I thought I had in my life pales in comparison to what I deal with now.
robbritton, Dr.D, deadderek liked this
Ah, 2002! In 2002 I was legitimately on the track to being famous for being in a band. Gigs with the Libertines, sharing chips with The Strokes, a groundswell of press mentions and ever better gigs. Here's a hint, guys: Never give a single to anyone who takes nine months to finish the production. The world will forget you in the meantime. You will probably end up excellent at market research office junior admin, though.

Sigh.
Dr.D, deadderek liked this
robbritton wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:52 am Ah, 2002! In 2002 I was legitimately on the track to being famous for being in a band. Gigs with the Libertines, sharing chips with The Strokes, a groundswell of press mentions and ever better gigs. Here's a hint, guys: Never give a single to anyone who takes nine months to finish the production. The world will forget you in the meantime. You will probably end up excellent at market research office junior admin, though.

Sigh.
Oh shit. Was your band called Luxembourg? Did you play guitar?
robbritton liked this
Seems my post triggered a lot of nostalgia for everyone.

After close to 3 decades without a sequel it was absolutely a safe bet we would never see any kind of Ghostbusters 3 on the big screen.

Dan's constant cheerleading while much appreciated wore thin after a while. I can't recall how many times he said a new one was right around the corner...or about to be greenlit...or a new script was amazing and...etc.

In 2009 I thought the video game was the last we'd see of the guys together, and to an extent that's always going to be true.

I can't wait to see Afterlife, and with talk about honoring Harold I have a sneaking suspicion there won't be a GhostHead (I hate that term tbh) leaving with a dry eye.
deadderek wrote: August 6th, 2020, 2:02 pm Seems my post triggered a lot of nostalgia for everyone.

After close to 3 decades without a sequel it was absolutely a safe bet we would never see any kind of Ghostbusters 3 on the big screen.

Dan's constant cheerleading while much appreciated wore thin after a while. I can't recall how many times he said a new one was right around the corner...or about to be greenlit...or a new script was amazing and...etc.

In 2009 I thought the video game was the last we'd see of the guys together, and to an extent that's always going to be true.

I can't wait to see Afterlife, and with talk about honoring Harold I have a sneaking suspicion there won't be a GhostHead (I hate that term tbh) leaving with a dry eye.
I also Dislike Ghosthead. Sounds like what Ray was getting in that dream sequence.

We should do a poll for a new fandom nom de guerre. Ghosthead should be included in case people like that one but...it’s always seemed kinda lame to me.

It’s unimaginative but gbfans has always been my preferred choice.

Some others:
SlimeNation
Ecto Army
Dead Heads
GB Geeks
The Fandom that ruined 2016(joking)
Ecto Fans
Proton Pros
Sav C liked this
Instead of proton pros how about...proton bros?

On a funny note...this my states newest Congressman from the 3rd district:

I hope he doesn't get any of our local franchises shut down. :P
RichardLess wrote: August 6th, 2020, 1:18 pm
robbritton wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:52 am Ah, 2002! In 2002 I was legitimately on the track to being famous for being in a band. Gigs with the Libertines, sharing chips with The Strokes, a groundswell of press mentions and ever better gigs. Here's a hint, guys: Never give a single to anyone who takes nine months to finish the production. The world will forget you in the meantime. You will probably end up excellent at market research office junior admin, though.

Sigh.
Oh shit. Was your band called Luxembourg? Did you play guitar?
Yes and yes!
Dr.D liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:37 am
deadderek wrote:Not happening.
Looking at the list of films impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, I'm mostly inclined to agree. The films that are having a VOD release, for the most part, are not highly anticipated films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... 9_pandemic

I will say that Mulan is a bit of a test case. If that film does really good numbers on a subscription service, then I could see studios adopting that strategy.

I still say that the movie theaters missed a golden opportunity to set up temporary drive-in theaters in their parking lots. While certain films likely would have been pushed back due to needing time for editing and scoring, etc., others could still have been shown.
The real test here will be Bill & Ted 3. Mulan was announced for VOD but (1.) You need Disney+ and (2). Its not a franchise.

Covid ain't going anywhere and the studios will be paying close attention on the 28th.
Last edited by SpaceBallz on August 6th, 2020, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceBallz wrote: August 6th, 2020, 3:05 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:37 am I will say that Mulan is a bit of a test case. If that film does really good numbers on a subscription service, then I could see studios adopting that strategy.

The real test here will be Bill & Ted 3. Mulan was announced for VOD but (1.) You need Disney+ and (2). Its not a franchise.

Covid ain't going anywhere and the studios will be placing close attention on the 28th.
Mulan is actually much more of a test case than Bill & Ted. All the studios care about is money. Bill & Ted 3 cost $25m, so if this thing does $80m WW or something like that, it will be a huge success for Orion, especially given it sounds like they're doing the rental model and they can still look forward to people purchasing it digitally and physically later.

Mulan, on the other hand, cost $200m, and Disney already shelled out money for a ton of marketing, since it was about to open when the pandemic shut everything down (Remember when people were mad about Sony not springing for a Superbowl spot for Ghostbusters: Afterlife? Who's laughing now?). It sounds like GB: A cost around $90m, but that's enough that Mulan would be a better measuring stick as to what Sony might do than B&T will be. If it's really a big smash hit? I could see them considering it, especially if it falls into the same "PG-13 but very much for families" vein as B&T3.

Here's an article in Variety that repeats a bunch of the information I've mentioned in terms of how unlikely it currently seems that a major movie could do major movie business at home:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mula ... 234727271/

As for Ghostbusters II, I agree with those who say the ending is a major flaw. You look at the incredible temple set from the end of the first movie, and then the finale for the second movie is basically an empty room with some cardboard boxes in the corner. They get knocked over, they can't get back up, the things they do to Vigo barely have any internal logic or rules. I like the idea that positive energy helps the Ghostbusters break the window and weakens Vigo, but that's about the only element of the scene that makes any sense. What is the nature of what he's doing to the Ghostbusters to paralyze them (as in, is he actively holding them down with some unexplained ghost power, or is it more like a supernatural rope)? Why can Vigo come out of the painting without possessing the baby if he needs the baby to live again? Why doesn't he behave like a ghost when he's out of the painting? Why does blasting the painting with proton streams do anything? Why does Vigo explode when they defeat him? If the filmmakers were going to do the reveal of the painting underneath, why doesn't the positively-charged slime wipe the Vigo portrait away instead of it just magically appearing? So on and so forth.

I also think the film just needs more scenes where the characters are visibly bouncing off one another in the frame. I made this observation on this very board a long time ago (speaking of very old posts), but for instance, in a scene like the one where they're looking at the museum encased in slime, Reitman cuts back and forth between the characters. A scene like the toaster dancing actually has the four actors in the same frame bouncing off one another, and has a better comic dynamic.

Lowest on the list (but still relevant) is the classic "it's the same movie" argument. This bothers me most when it comes to Hardemeyer's role in the story, and the unnecessary inclusion of Louis beyond the courtroom scene, and the inclusion of Slimer at all, as well as certain structure beats, like the placement of the montage.
robbritton, Alphagaia, Wafflerobot and 2 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 4:01 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: August 6th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Covid ain't going anywhere and the studios will be placing close attention on the 28th.
Mulan is actually much more of a test case than Bill & Ted. All the studios care about is money. Bill & Ted 3 cost $25m, so if this thing does $80m WW or something like that, it will be a huge success for Orion, especially given it sounds like they're doing the rental model and they can still look forward to people purchasing it digitally and physically later.

Mulan, on the other hand, cost $200m, and Disney already shelled out money for a ton of marketing, since it was about to open when the pandemic shut everything down (Remember when people were mad about Sony not springing for a Superbowl spot for Ghostbusters: Afterlife? Who's laughing now?). It sounds like GB: A cost around $90m, but that's enough that Mulan would be a better measuring stick as to what Sony might do than B&T will be. If it's really a big smash hit? I could see them considering it, especially if it falls into the same "PG-13 but very much for families" vein as B&T3.

Here's an article in Variety that repeats a bunch of the information I've mentioned in terms of how unlikely it currently seems that a major movie could do major movie business at home:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mula ... 234727271/

As for Ghostbusters II, I agree with those who say the ending is a major flaw. You look at the incredible temple set from the end of the first movie, and then the finale for the second movie is basically an empty room with some cardboard boxes in the corner. They get knocked over, they can't get back up, the things they do to Vigo barely have any internal logic or rules. I like the idea that positive energy helps the Ghostbusters break the window and weakens Vigo, but that's about the only element of the scene that makes any sense. What is the nature of what he's doing to the Ghostbusters to paralyze them (as in, is he actively holding them down with some unexplained ghost power, or is it more like a supernatural rope)? Why can Vigo come out of the painting without possessing the baby if he needs the baby to live again? Why doesn't he behave like a ghost when he's out of the painting? Why does blasting the painting with proton streams do anything? Why does Vigo explode when they defeat him? If the filmmakers were going to do the reveal of the painting underneath, why doesn't the positively-charged slime wipe the Vigo portrait away instead of it just magically appearing? So on and so forth.

I also think the film just needs more scenes where the characters are visibly bouncing off one another in the frame. I made this observation on this very board a long time ago (speaking of very old posts), but for instance, in a scene like the one where they're looking at the museum encased in slime, Reitman cuts back and forth between the characters. A scene like the toaster dancing actually has the four actors in the same frame bouncing off one another, and has a better comic dynamic.

Lowest on the list (but still relevant) is the classic "it's the same movie" argument. This bothers me most when it comes to Hardemeyer's role in the story, and the unnecessary inclusion of Louis beyond the courtroom scene, and the inclusion of Slimer at all, as well as certain structure beats, like the placement of the montage.
I think the term “ghostbusters” tends to confuse some people. It’s more like “Supernaturalbusters” not quite as catchy though. Vigo isn’t a ghost. He’s more of a wizard. Warlock. That sort of thing. Gozer wasn’t a ghost either. She was a god. So when Vigo does that breathing thing, it’s like he’s casting a spell. Were you ever a Pokémon fans? Some Pokémon had a move called “bind” and that’s always what I figured Vigo was sort of doing. As for why he can all of a sudden step out of the painting...yeah that’s always been a weird thing. The original GB2 script had him coming out constantly, taking the human form of “Jason Lock”. I’m glad he does step out tho because boy is he creepy. Gozer never scared me. But Vigo has this presence to him. The sound design is really underrated. Those snarls and growls?? With the face contortions? It’s great stuff. But it’s over so damn fast.

Like DroidGuy says, the first film had this infamous John Decuir set that had one of the best climaxes of any comedy not named Dr Strangelove. Since the original took place on a Rooftop and they had the Slime underground, the climax of GB2 should’ve been in some ancient cavern underneath the museum. Or maybe have Vigo use some sort of magic to transform the museum into some sort of gothic castle like you see in his painting. That’s what the slime could’ve been used for. The slime rises up out of the sewers and forms a castle structure which Vigo then zaps into some sort of obsidian obelisk(like Orthanc in Lord of the Rings).

Again GB2’s biggest downfall was time. I don’t know why Reitman and Columbia wanted it out for a June ‘89 release. I think they needed at least one more draft of the script. And again this is coming from someone who thinks GB2 is one of the most underrated comedies ever made. I think it might be funnier than GB1, but GB1 is better overall from a story stand point.
Sav C, Wafflerobot, robbritton and 1 others liked this
2002 I was still in high school playing accordion & singing in a Weird Al Cover band. Wearing a home made RGB Style proton pack with movie colors made out of scraps from my grandpa's torn down shed and the dollar store we built together. (Also a few HVAC relays I stole from my dad's garage). I had given up on GB3, and the last new system I had purchased was PS1. 2009 forced me to get an xBox 360. Fast forward to 2020 & release my own music on occasion (rock'n'rollI - Weird Al lead me to Eddie Van Halen), as well as wrote some music for GBNJ & have a kitbashed Spirit Pack w/BoK Neutrona wand dubbed the GFW (Ghost Fighting Weapon - my grandpa's initials) and I'm a friggin school vice principal in the middle of a pandemic quagmire. If I could time travel, to talk to myself; I wouldn't.
RichardLess wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm Since the original took place on a Rooftop and they had the Slime underground, the climax of GB2 should’ve been in some ancient cavern underneath the museum.
Aykroyd touched on that in his Cinefex interview for GB2.

"We went skyward in the first film--up to the top of a skyscraper--so I thought for the second one it would be nice to see the underbelly of the city. But my original concept for going underground was different. It involved a pneumatic tube two thousand miles long that they traveled in for three days. It was like a primitive mail chute."

I love the idea of a slime cavern underneath the museum!
Alphagaia wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:49 am I'm too frikking old to remember what I did back in 2002. Probably chasing people of my lawn or something.
Ah, 2002. Good year. My second year of college. I picked up an original GB Bernie Wrightson concept drawing for less than a hundred bucks! I had to wait a bit longer to buy Vice City, but it was totally worth it.
d_osborn wrote: August 7th, 2020, 9:19 am
RichardLess wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm Since the original took place on a Rooftop and they had the Slime underground, the climax of GB2 should’ve been in some ancient cavern underneath the museum.
Aykroyd touched on that in his Cinefex interview for GB2.

"We went skyward in the first film--up to the top of a skyscraper--so I thought for the second one it would be nice to see the underbelly of the city. But my original concept for going underground was different. It involved a pneumatic tube two thousand miles long that they traveled in for three days. It was like a primitive mail chute."

I love the idea of a slime cavern underneath the museum!
Alphagaia wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:49 am I'm too frikking old to remember what I did back in 2002. Probably chasing people of my lawn or something.
Ah, 2002. Good year. My second year of college. I picked up an original GB Bernie Wrightson concept drawing for less than a hundred bucks! I had to wait a bit longer to buy Vice City, but it was totally worth it.
Lol Dan Aykroyd. Because of course his original idea has a pneumatic tube thousands of miles long that takes days to traverse. Of course it was! I can just see Ivan Reitman’s face as Dan excitedly tells him this new idea for Ghostbusters 2. “Well at least it’s not inter dimensional travel this time and wont cost 300 million dollars”

That man’s imagination is something else. I would love to see a sci-fi film from Dan with a 200 million dollar budget and today’s technology. Just let him loose. And yes, I’ve seen “Nothing But Trouble”.
groschopf, Alphagaia, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
I think a variation of Van Horne would've worked well as a villian's lair... Instead of finding the station itself when they went into the abandoned train tunnels, they should've found part of the pneumatic subway tunnel and its mechanical infrastructure... Then in the finale we see the station, beautiful and ruined, like it'd been hit by an earthquake and split in two, leading to a waterfall of slime.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]