Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By robbritton
It’s a good trailer, although damned if I can get it to play HD.

Not going to pretend I’m sad that everything after GB2 is now officially non-canon, but what can you do? It was never that likely they’d keep the game in, and utterly unlikely they’d care about IDW.

Still, though, going into business again?! Is there really no other story to tell in this world?!

BUT, I still enjoyed it and I’m still psyched!

It’s a rollercoaster!
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
I have a problem with this that I really didn’t think I would until I saw it in action. This does not feel like Ghostbusters and after a bit of thought I realized it was because one of the main characters is gone completely. New York.

New York gave bleak modern sensibility with historical architecture. It was grey and made the colorful supernatural pop. The environments were claustrophobic and full of life. Each time the Ecto 1 rounded a street corner I was sure it was going to hit something.

This film is all vast brightly lit landscapes. The small town seems well maintained and widely spaced. The setting just feels completely wrong and that’s not something I would have considered seeing the production photos. Looking at it now I think the film would have flowed visually better if it took place in a suburb just outside NY. This is to say nothing of the script or how I think the actual substance of the movie will be but it feels very disconnected from the original in almost every way that at least keeping it visually continuous would have helped.
By SpaceBallz
Dudes, the music...its like a revamped version of the music from the first film! I love it!! And Terror Dog confirmed!
back, Funktion, deadderek and 2 others liked this
By back
signeddiamond wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:47 am I have a problem with this that I really didn’t think I would until I saw it in action. This does not feel like Ghostbusters and after a bit of thought I realized it was because one of the main characters is gone completely. New York.

New York gave bleak modern sensibility with historical architecture. It was grey and made the colorful supernatural pop. The environments were claustrophobic and full of life. Each time the Ecto 1 rounded a street corner I was sure it was going to hit something.

This film is all vast brightly lit landscapes. The small town seems well maintained and widely spaced. The setting just feels completely wrong and that’s not something I would have considered seeing the production photos. Looking at it now I think the film would have flowed visually better if it took place in a suburb just outside NY. This is to say nothing of the script or how I think the actual substance of the movie will be but it feels very disconnected from the original in almost every way that at least keeping it visually continuous would have helped.
I understand your 'beef' ....and I USED to feel the same way. Just try to keep in mind that this is a Privilege that Were all getting this. If you continue to feel that we Should've dug up a 65 year old Ramis look-alike and told him to Talk & Walk like Egon... well good on ya, Infact Id support your quest. Last I checked not many seniors can lug around 100 pounds of ghostbusting gear all day.
Just try to roll with it my friend. I like it.
groschopf, Kingpin liked this
By Gozerhead
signeddiamond wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:47 am I have a problem with this that I really didn’t think I would until I saw it in action. This does not feel like Ghostbusters and after a bit of thought I realized it was because one of the main characters is gone completely. New York.

I remember an interview with a younger director (drawing a blank on the name) who wrote a draft of GB3. He was pointing out that every successful sequel is "the same, but a little bit different". One example he used was The Force Awakens. ATC was going to be too different to be successful.

It is clear in the trailer that the sames are nouns and maybe not all the plot points. We are assuming in your post that NY isn't, at some point, part of the film. However, we've seen many things from NY in the trailer and know the OG's will show up somehow. I can't imagine that if the trailer has this many call backs, the firehouse and such won't be a part of that.

It looks like even the big bad will be connected to GBI. I am wondering if we will see Gozer!!!
Last edited by Gozerhead on December 9th, 2019, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
back liked this
By Wiggyof9
Hmm... i could only see it once since my phone is dying and I forgot my charger, but...

Is it me or does it seem like they are taking GB2 out of canon? The video game seems to be totally out, but the way Paul Rudd's character is speaking it seems like GB2 is out too. If so, I'm ok with this as I think it will make the story make more sense. Plus, we have multiple dimensions introduced in the comic with alt time lines so this could just be part of that.

The important thing to me is that it looks like a real movie that appreciates the history of the first movie. It appears to take itself seriously and the comedy hopefully comes from the situation, not improvised jokes.

Also, that ghost is totally slimer. I think they blurred him for the trailer. I was hoping we wouldn't see slimer, but if they had to put him in (which they did for general audiences) this at least makes sense as it seems Egon kept him in a trap as a specimen.
By Coover5
I always appreciated the goggles as a hands free PKE meter but glad to see they could be differentiated a little more with the photo feature. I didn't think I was ready for changes but here we are.

And the pack looks to be scaled down for McKenna Grace so congrats to Spirit Pack owner, it looks like your packs are scaled properly now lol
groschopf liked this
By Wiggyof9
Oh, and about NY not being the setting, i am kind of glad for that. We have seen it too many times. NYC is always the setting. This movie is doing something different for once and I am ok with that because it is different while honoring the original. I think we all know we are well past the time for a proper GB3 where we see the OGBs in NYC. The game gave us that which was great, now lets see a new take.
RichRyan1507, deadderek, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
By Wiggyof9
RedSpecial wrote:It's noted that a ghost hasn't been sighted in 30 years.
Surely that's a call back to gb2.
Was it 30 years or over 30 years?
By Gozerhead
Wiggyof9 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:01 am Hmm... i could only see it once since my phone is dying and I forgot my charger, but...

Is it me or does it seem like they are taking GB2 out of canon? The video game seems to be totally out, but the way Paul Rudd's character is speaking it seems like GB2 is out too. If so, I'm ok with this as I think it will make the story make more sense. Plus, we have multiple dimensions introduced in the comic with alt time lines so this could just be part of that.

The important thing to me is that it looks like a real movie that appreciates the history of the first movie. It appears to take itself seriously and the comedy hopefully comes from the situation, not improvised jokes.

Also, that ghost is totally slimer. I think they blurred him for the trailer. I was hoping we wouldn't see slimer, but if they had to put him in (which they did for general audiences) this at least makes sense as it seems Egon kept him in a trap as a specimen.
I think the 30 years line was intentional to fans so we'd catch that that means GB2 is still a thing. He'd have said 35 years, otherwise. I can suspend disbelief that both events were intentionally swept under the rug to protect the masses similar to something like alien disclosure.

I have kids a bit younger in age, and I doubt they'd have much understanding of Area 51 lore or even some big events like the Holocaust or 9/11 beyond casual conversation.
By SSJmole
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
back wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:57 am

I understand your 'beef' ....and I USED to feel the same way. Just try to keep in mind that this is a Privilege that Were all getting this. If you continue to feel that we Should've dug up a 65 year old Ramis look-alike and told him to Talk & Walk like Egon... well good on ya, Infact Id support your quest. Last I checked not many seniors can lug around 100 pounds of ghostbusting gear all day.
Just try to roll with it my friend. I like it.
It's not a privilege at all. That looked horrible. I'd rather not have it than have them make a generic teen movie we've seen before and say it's in the same continuity.

It's like saying highlander 2 was a privilege. 😂

Hopefully when it comes out its good but unless next trailer changes things I'll wait till on its TV or something.
signeddiamond liked this
They uploaded a french-dubbed version of the trailer...
The dubbing is GREAT and sounds very natural for all the actors.
What scares me is that they didn’t use Venkman’s french counterpart for the fate & karma quote, they re-recorded it. Weirdly enough, the french trailer hyped me a bit more so it’s all good!

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]