Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hairy Biker wrote: December 7th, 2020, 4:19 am I still use an early model Ipod and buy vinyl.
My mp3 player is about the size of a pocket calculator (still smaller than my smartphone), I've had it for 14 years and although the charge cable is a little picky about which way it's facing, and it's got a ding in the casing where I accidentally dropped it on a roadway once, it still does the job nicely. :)
robbritton liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 9:32 am
MikeyJ122 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:03 pm What you guys are failing to realize is theaters might not be able to survive this "1 year experiment." The theater industry is nowhere near strong enough to with stand what's going on (both covid and streaming). I suppose, in a perfect world where nothing has to change, than why change? But we don't live in a perfect world. When covid is over, it's VERY possible that 50% of all theaters currently are just gone. That's also playing a role into studios switching to streaming.

I'm not just making this stuff up, or trying to win an argument or anything of the sort. I'm relaying information that ive heard from people that cover the industry, or have insider info, etc. They all seem to saying that it's just the changing times, it's technological advancement. At some point, technology changes what was considered the "norm." Whens the last time you listened to a CD? Last time you watched a VHS? Whens the last time you rode in a horse drawn carriage? Something new happens and replaces what was. Elon Musk is working on satalite internet that would allow everyone in the world internet ANYWHERE in the world. That's a game changer.

Streaming is the future of films, it just is. It will bring films into people's homes, wherever they are. From what I've heard, the ONLY light at the end of the tunnel for theaters is Avatar 2. If James Cameron can provide a unique theatrical experience again, that'll bring people in. But then future films will have to be filmed in a similar way, and none of them have truly done what the first Avatar did, so that doesn't give me a lot of hope for things post Avatar 2. Especially when it's easier and cheaper to make a film for a streaming service.
Nobody's denying that streaming is the future of films, but the problem is two-fold: the consumer isn't there yet, and the industry isn't there yet. Streaming has to settle on a delivery system, pricing structure, etc. that is as reliable and consistent as the theater industry was when it became the dominant form of film distribution for the public to put that kind of weight on it. Until the culture is truly onboard with streaming over theatrical, then the streaming future hasn't arrived yet, and we're obviously not there because theaters are still unquestionably the bigger moneymaker.

As for the industry, the future of films is also going to look drastically different than the industry does currently. For example, I would strongly suspect that groundbreaking progress in film production will be a huge step toward streaming, because making a movie would become significantly cheaper. There was that brief period where "digital backlot" films like Sky Captain and Sin City were a big deal. I'm sure there will be a point at which something like this could be close to or completely photorealistic, and cheaper than building a set or shooting on location.

At this particular juncture, it's true that theaters are in an extremely bad position, but ultimately, I think the industry wants theaters to survive, and I expect they will. Whether that's some major investor stepping in to save AMC because they believe people will return to the movies in 2021, or studios relaxing their cut to help theaters out, or something like what AMC is currently getting, which is a percentage of streaming revenue for the film's that Universal opens in theaters and then puts on digital 17 days later, like Freaky, who knows. Maybe all of the above. But I'm 100% positive that if you asked studio executives if they'd rather go all streaming or have theaters safely reopen, it'd be the latter.

Here's an article in Deadline about the legal challenges Warner Bros. might face over the HBO Max deal, which goes into how much this is costing Warner Bros., specifically in the "back-end deal" range. Key quote: "What’s wrong with this, per the dealmakers? It’s a loss leader for everyone...and the compensation isn’t at all weighted by the number of paid HBO Max subscribers that are added by this bold move, or by the benefit to the WarnerMedia stock price, which is the reason WarnerMedia has done this."

https://deadline.com/2020/12/warnermedi ... 234651283/
The digital volume set they use on the Mandalorian could really change the game. It’s crazy.
deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:20 pmThe digital volume set they use on the Mandalorian could really change the game. It’s crazy.
I thought of that after making the post. As for whether or not that means the production revolution I was talking about is already here, two thoughts. One, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is less expensive than making something on the effects level of Star Wars, but is not actually cheap (at the moment), which is why even during a pandemic I haven't necessarily heard about other shows and movies using this technology. The other thought, which could go hand in hand with the first one, is that the sort of visuals that they're using this technology to create on "The Mandalorian" might currently be better suited to it than, say, a real-world sort of place that we could just visit. Simulating an alien landscape is one thing, simulating an office building or train station might not be as convincing yet.
Last edited by tylergfoster on December 7th, 2020, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droidguy1119 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:31 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:20 pmThe digital volume set they use on the Mandalorian could really change the game. It’s crazy.
I thought of that after making the post. As for whether or not that means the production revolution I was talking about is already here, two thoughts. One, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is less expensive than making something on the effects level of Star Wars, but is not actually cheap (at the moment), which is why even during a pandemic I haven't necessarily heard about other shows and movies using this technology. The other thought, which could go hand in hand with the first one, is that the things that they're using this technology to accomplish on "The Mandalorian" my currently be better suited to the capabilities of the technology than, say, a real-world sort of place that we could just visit. Simulating an alien landscape is one thing, simulating an office building or train station might not be as convincing yet.
Yeah that’s a good point. It seems more suited to a production like a Game of Thrones(or its prequel series) or even Amazon’s Lord of the Rings. Anything fantasy related where landscapes play a large role. I’d be interested to see how cost effective it is VS location work. I’m a huge fan of the Avatar animated series & the thought of a live action version that Netflix is doing gives me as much trepidation as excitement(especially after the original creators left). It’s one of those things where it needs a huge budget. If that technology can bring costs down & make that sort of epic “lord of the rings” vibe on a fraction of the cost? That’s a huge game changer.
But you’re right. You’d think we’d be hearing about other productions using it left & right. That’s just not the case. Then again no one even had heard about this until we’ll after Mandalorian had wrapped & even aired a couple episodes. I remember rewatching the opening episode to see if I could spot the seams and it was truly flawless.
It could be we're so early into the digital volume set's career that we're mere moments after it's digital big bang, so to speak.

We may well see it become more and more commonplace off of the back of its use in The Mandalorian going forward, especially as production companies draft up pandemic contingency plans to allow for continued filming even if they can't travel internationally. That plan also works should we get another volcanic eruption like Iceland which grounds air travel for weeks.
deadderek liked this
BRD 527 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:15 am I got a 20yr old Sony Walkman :-?
Hairy Biker wrote: December 7th, 2020, 4:19 am I still use an early model Ipod and buy vinyl.
Kingpin wrote: December 7th, 2020, 11:08 am My mp3 player is about the size of a pocket calculator (still smaller than my smartphone), I've had it for 14 years and although the charge cable is a little picky about which way it's facing, and it's got a ding in the casing where I accidentally dropped it on a roadway once, it still does the job nicely. :)
I have a toaster that can dance.
Anyone getting used to calling the kid Grogu yet? Who wants to take bets that they'll freeze Mando in carbonite at the end of the series and do a time jump so he can be there when the kid grows up? They could easily turn that into a new series trilogy.
One teensy-tiny update to the whole streaming question today:

Buried in this article about the legal challenges and fallout WB is experiencing from the HBO Max announcement is the detail that BRON is one of the production companies other than Legendary that might end up filing suit against WB. BRON is also, of course, one of the companies behind Ghostbusters: Afterlife.
The other companies that finance Warners movies, Village Roadshow and Bron, are also said to be aggrieved parties that might end up going to court.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... jFEagRuREo
deadderek, Corey91, pizzarat and 4 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 7:32 pm One teensy-tiny update to the whole streaming question today:

Buried in this article about the legal challenges and fallout WB is experiencing from the HBO Max announcement is the detail that BRON is one of the production companies other than Legendary that might end up filing suit against WB. BRON is also, of course, one of the companies behind Ghostbusters: Afterlife.
The other companies that finance Warners movies, Village Roadshow and Bron, are also said to be aggrieved parties that might end up going to court.
Good find.
Kingpin, Alphagaia liked this
Yeah WB has just made a really, really stupid decision in the long run. It is pretty mind-blowing to think they went ahead with this decision without any consultation with the various other companies who've financed some of these films. Feels like an example of selling something that isn't yours to sell and keeping all the profit to yourself.
Kingpin, deadderek, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
Tomorrow will be a year from the first trailer and almost two years since the announcement.

How are you feeling?

I think we'll get..... Something. Not a trailer, I'm expecting that in the new year.
I feel reassured by Jason's words: we'll see Afterlife on a big screen. In June.

Uk just gave the first vaccine's shot to a 90 years old woman. The FDA is about to give its blessing to distribute it. There are no reported heavy secondary effects on the volunteers.

EMA will give the blessing to distribute the vaccine in Italy by the end of the month.

I think in June we'll be in a nicer situation.
Surely not 100% back to normal, but secure enough to see a movie in a theatre.
deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:53 pmHow are you feeling?
Tired. Mostly.
Davideverona wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:53 pmI think we'll get..... Something. Not a trailer, I'm expecting that in the new year.
I guess we could see a quick video from Jason, though I think what's more likely is we won't see anything for the anniversary.
deadderek liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 7:32 pm One teensy-tiny update to the whole streaming question today:

It boggles my mind that hollywood is still tryin to fight with streaming services. All they're doing is delaying the inevitable everytime they push their release dates, NOBODY makes money by not releasing a movie. "Let's just release it 2 years from now, things should be back to normal! Like the good old days, right?" I'm siding with WB on this one.
From what I've read, the WB thing is them shoving stuff they don't fully own onto the platform without consulting any of the other parties that SHOULD have had a say in the matter. I know Legendary is PISSED right now and is fighting it on pure principle.

As for Afterlife, I'll see it whenever it comes out. I've waited from 1989 to 2009 for a proper sequel... and again until 2016 for one... I can wait another year or two to see this knowing that A) it's in a better state now than when we would've seen it originally and B) we'll most likely be alive to actually see it.

As for the merch, it's totally understandable why we haven't seen a bulk of it. Everything was supposed to coincide with the movie's release. No movie, no tie-in merch. The Hasbro Plasma Series Thrower dropped when it did since they were pushing the plasma series figures and it just made sense to drop it then (so glad they did, the thing is awesome) and LEGO has a set schedule with their releases and NOT pushing out the Ecto-1 would've left a hole in their schedule... again, VERY happy that released when it did.

I really want those toy proton packs and the rest of the new wearable gear to release. I have several non-blood-related nieces and nephews to corrupt :D
Alphagaia, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
This issues is far more complex than simply streaming vs theaters. It's about the integrity of filmmaking and the fact that at the end of the day, a massive group of people who've worked tirelessly to create films are having their work minimized by a studio owned by a massive telecommunications company who couldn't care less about movies. As much as I personally am not a fan of Christopher Nolan, he has every right to be angry.

Nobody makes money not releasing a movie, but it's worse when only a small fraction of those involved get everything.
deadderek, Kingpin, zeta otaku and 1 others liked this
So it's been a full year since the trailer came out. It seems so much longer than that.
Davideverona liked this
Dr.D wrote: December 8th, 2020, 4:39 pm This issues is far more complex than simply streaming vs theaters. It's about the integrity of filmmaking and the fact that at the end of the day, a massive group of people who've worked tirelessly to create films are having their work minimized by a studio owned by a massive telecommunications company who couldn't care less about movies. As much as I personally am not a fan of Christopher Nolan, he has every right to be angry.

Nobody makes money not releasing a movie, but it's worse when only a small fraction of those involved get everything.
I agree with you. When I made the posts I made earlier, I was operating under the assumption that they (Warner) already worked everything out with all the effected parties.

From what I've heard, the theater vs streaming isn't what these potential lawsuits are about. What the REAL issue is money, of course. Directors like Nolan get bonuses, on top of their original deals, which stipulate that if their films do (say a billion dollars for example) at the box office, than certain directors, producers, actors, etc get a bonus (usually a few million dollars). The director (I forget her name), and Gale Gadot on WW84, Warner gave those two their bonuses on that film. So they were fine with how it got released. Nolan and others have similar deals, and Warner didn't negotiate with them before making this announcement, that's the REAL issue. Now, sure theatrical vs streaming is an issue as well, but it's secondary for sure.

Going forward two things could potentially happen; for one, Warner (and other studios) won't make those kinds of "box-office" deals anymore. So this issue is temporary in that regard. The bigger issue is that certain directors, actors, etc might not want to work for Warner because of this. Which makes the whole "not discussing" issue even more confounding.

Having said all of that, here is the rest of the story that isn't being reported much. Warner wanted to release a film for Christmas (they are feeling this pandemic like everyone else), and having a big film for Christmas was their goal. They wanted it to be Tenant. Nolan has a deal in his contract where he has power over when the film is to be released. It CANT be within 6 weeks of any other Warner Brothers film. Legendary pictures also has these deals with Warner, and it effects Godzilla vs Kong and Dune. So Warner wanted to put it out for Christmas, and work the rest of their schedule oppropriatly. But Nolan would not work with Warner on this. So from their perspective, so it was Nolan that drew the "first blood" if you will. (Which Tenet lost Warner $100 million). Apparently Legendary has also not been "playing ball" with Warner in regards to Dune and Godzilla vs Kong either. What Warner is doing, they feel, they have the right to do. They have 100% of the distribution rights to all of these films. So from their perspective, they didn't do anything wrong. Although its not good business to not discuss it with you business partners.

Bottom line, it's an interesting time to be following this stuff. New things happen nearly everyday.
SpaceBallz wrote: December 8th, 2020, 3:47 pm

It boggles my mind that hollywood is still tryin to fight with streaming services. All they're doing is delaying the inevitable everytime they push their release dates, NOBODY makes money by not releasing a movie. "Let's just release it 2 years from now, things should be back to normal! Like the good old days, right?" I'm siding with WB on this one.
I'm with you. I just want to watch new movies again. To be honest, before the pandemic, we watched the vast majority of our films at home anyways. I have a family of 5, so going to the theater is a bit of a finacial commitment. So we only went to the theater (or drive in, yes we go to one) maybe 3 or 4 times per year, max. So most of the movies we wanted to see, we waited until they were streaming anyways. Do I prefer the theatrical experience? Yes. But I like the popcorn I make at home better than theater popcorn (I can make some pretty mean popcorn). Plus the other drinks and snacks are WAY over priced at theaters, so it's really ONLY about the screen size that makes theaters better, for me anyways.

As for the topic at hand, sitting on movies really doesn't make much sense. Some money is better than NO money. Even if you take a loss on your films in 2020, chaulk it up to the pandemic and move forward. Adjust everything (financially) for 2021 films, and move forward.
Last year WB made $4 billion worldwide. Netflix made $20 billion. I can see where WB is coming from especially with a majority of theaters being shut down.
The New York Times has a piece up on the Disney+ news scheduled to drop via presentation tomorrow. In the piece, regarding the profitability of streaming:
"Streaming is not yet profitable for Disney — far from it. Losses in the direct-to-consumer division totaled $2.8 billion in the company’s 2020 fiscal year. Streaming-related losses are expected to peak in 2022, as rollout costs decline and content expenses normalize, with analysts expecting Disney+ profitability by 2024."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/busi ... ovies.html
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:37 pm
BRD 527 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:15 am I got a 20yr old Sony Walkman :-?
Kingpin wrote: December 7th, 2020, 11:08 am My mp3 player is about the size of a pocket calculator (still smaller than my smartphone), I've had it for 14 years and although the charge cable is a little picky about which way it's facing, and it's got a ding in the casing where I accidentally dropped it on a roadway once, it still does the job nicely. :)
I have a toaster that can dance.
Alphagaia wrote: December 10th, 2020, 12:43 am Don't get too excited: it's basically him saying he is very excited to watch (the rest of) Afterlife.
Yeah. He also mentions that he knows what happens in the film and, if Jason delivers, it’s going to be something special.

It’s hard not to feel too hyped about this movie based on how many people have said something to the affect of “This is going to be special. Just wait”. People that aren’t even involved with the movie.

It makes me realize how little we actually know.

It’s so weird to think that in an ALT 2020 we’d all be watching this movie on blu ray by now and would’ve seen it countless times. Argued & debated its merits countless times. I’ve mentioned this a few hundred times already but...what are the odds this pandemic hit the year the world and GBFans were *finally* going to get a 3rd Ghostbusters movie? Something that’s never happened before literally shuts down theatres. Lol. After all the starts and stops and false hope and even a reboot. And here we are.

I wonder how many GBfans who were waiting for this movie to come out in July and had been waiting decades or however long, but they won’t make it to June 2021. It’s depressing but I think about that sometimes(especially after a major health scare of my own this year). Makes me sad to think about.
deadderek liked this

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]