Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Michael Scott wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:27 am I’m going to guess that at the end of the movie there isn’t going to be a new team set up for the future. They’ll work together to survive whatever crisis exists, but it’ll end there. The important story to wrap up will be Callie’s family getting back on their feet. I doubt there will be much left of the farmhouse at the end for them to settle there. It just doesn’t feel like this is pointing in the direction of going into business again. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. People expect it to start up the Ghostbusters again with the OGs still around as mentors and its all going to be a happy ending. I really can't see it happening.

This is a story about Egon, family and what you leave behind. It's going to give everyone closure... the fans who wanted another sequel, his family who never really knew him, the OG Busters who lost a close friend.

I doubt Paul Rudd is even going to wear a Proton Pack. He's just going to be the Louis Tully of this movie.

It's going to be a bittersweet ending of seeing the OGs ride one last time and then put a cap on this era of Ghostbusters.
RedSpecial liked this
It's going to be a bittersweet ending of seeing the OGs ride one last time and then put a cap on this era of Ghostbusters.
This isn't going to be the last Ghostbusters movie. Look at the view's for the staypuft reveal, and the trailer. Then look at the views for the Real Ghostbusters, and Extreme Ghostbusters episodes on you tube. There's interest in this franchise other then us and Sony knows it.

The story may be about closure but it's also about new begining's. Why bother having new characters at all if theyr're going to be throw away's like Rogue One? It's established early on that Rudd is a fan, he knows the equipment. Even Louis suited up at the end of Ghostbusters II. If he doesn't get possessed he's going to be their new tech guy.
groschopf, philmorgan81 liked this
No one said it would be the end of Ghostbusters movies, just of the OG era.
timeware wrote: May 9th, 2021, 8:07 pm There's a TMNT nod in that picture, I just...Cant put my finger on it. Maybe on the steering wheel.
I feel pretty confident in saying there's no TMNT nod in that photo
TheLegendOfMart wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:14 amI doubt Paul Rudd is even going to wear a Proton Pack. He's just going to be the Louis Tully of this movie.
We've known Grooberson five minutes, yet he's already a more enjoyable character than Louis. :)
deadderek, mrmichaelt, Alphagaia and 2 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:31 am
timeware wrote: May 9th, 2021, 8:07 pm There's a TMNT nod in that picture, I just...Cant put my finger on it. Maybe on the steering wheel.
I feel pretty confident in saying there's no TMNT nod in that photo
TheLegendOfMart wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:14 amI doubt Paul Rudd is even going to wear a Proton Pack. He's just going to be the Louis Tully of this movie.
We've known Grooberson five minutes, yet he's already a more enjoyable character than Louis. :)
I really really really like the ".... A ghost trap!!??" line in the trailer. He's almost shocked that those kids doesn't know that piece of tech. He says it like he mean: "ehi, where you've been living until now, under a rock??"
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
Alphagaia wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:39 am I''m quite surprised that people think that there won't be a new team, especially when the set up is with young kids donning Gb suits.
The kids are too young to be running a business and charging around with Proton Packs. I don't see it being an EGB situation.

It might tease the future of Ghostbusters but I don't see them forming a team at the end of this.
TheLegendOfMart wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:14 am
Michael Scott wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:27 am I’m going to guess that at the end of the movie there isn’t going to be a new team set up for the future. They’ll work together to survive whatever crisis exists, but it’ll end there. The important story to wrap up will be Callie’s family getting back on their feet. I doubt there will be much left of the farmhouse at the end for them to settle there. It just doesn’t feel like this is pointing in the direction of going into business again. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. People expect it to start up the Ghostbusters again with the OGs still around as mentors and its all going to be a happy ending. I really can't see it happening.

This is a story about Egon, family and what you leave behind. It's going to give everyone closure... the fans who wanted another sequel, his family who never really knew him, the OG Busters who lost a close friend.

I doubt Paul Rudd is even going to wear a Proton Pack. He's just going to be the Louis Tully of this movie.

Personally, for me, Ghostbusters is Egon, Peter, Ray, and Winston. I don't want a Ghostbusters 4 with an 85 year old Ray mentoring college kids, even if one of those kids is Egon's granddaughter. I'd prefer that they leave it open ended so that fans can assume that someone, at some point, will provide ghostbusting services in the future. But I don't think that more movies in this universe are necessary. Instead, I think it would be better to wait 10 years, and do a proper reboot with the original characters like Nolan did with Batman.
groschopf liked this
Davideverona wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:52 am Sony just released the trailer for Venom 2, "only in movie theaters" in September.

That's 4 months away, so we can reasonably expect a new trailer for Ghostbusters Afterlife in July?
As an aside, the first Venom movie was one of the worst I've seen this decade and the sequel trailer looks somehow worse.

Tom Hardy doing some perplexing acting while an annoying voiceover says not funny lines and shoddily placed CGI tentacles fly out of his back and trash stuff.

Worth remembering Venom and MIB: International are good indicators of how Sony would be (mis)handling the Ghostbusters franchise if it weren't for Ghost Corp.
deadderek, Kingpin, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
Hard disagree, I loved the first Venom. It's a delight. FTR, I don't care about any sort of fidelity to the comics, I just like Hardy as reluctant odd couple hero/host to the world's dorkiest alien symbiote. We'll see if this one leans too hard into the comedy that makes the first one so entertaining, but it looks good to me. I like the MCU fine, but please, more stuff like this out of their control where it's weird and goofy.

As for the timing, more importantly, Venom 2 is the end of September, so it's almost like it's actually an October movie. If you apply that math with roughly the same amount of fudging, well, maybe those Ghostbusters Day predictions could come true.
pizzarat liked this
Eh, if you read the comics, and seen the cartoons that's really what Venom is in a nutshell. Tentacles grabbing things and trashing stuff. While I was annoyed that they omitted Spidey which is the whole reason for Venom's existence it was still better then Topher Grace who I hope doesn't get to reprise his role in No Way Home. It's already getting bogged down with all the multiverse stuff already.
Venom the movie was excellent considering the restrictions: No Spidey, so no OG origins story. Most of Venom villains cross into Marvel territory other than symbiote related villains. It was great, nice levity to it considering how heavy the Marvel movies were getting at that moment.
So staying on topic again:

With the Venom 2 trailer drop it seems we're pretty locked in on a November date for the theatrical release of Afterlife.

Finally...after waiting for so damn long.

Gonna see it at least once a week while it's in theaters.
TheLegendOfMart liked this
deadderek wrote: May 10th, 2021, 10:46 am So staying on topic again:

With the Venom 2 trailer drop it seems we're pretty locked in on a November date for the theatrical release of Afterlife.

Finally...after waiting for so damn long.

Gonna see it at least once a week while it's in theaters.
Yeah that seems like a safe bet with November's release date looking like it'll stick, even if it's a different franchise.
Davideverona wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but they had TWO trailers registered? The "pass the proton pack" trailer and another final one?

So, we can have a trailer this summer and another near the release date, with October - November for tv spots?
June/July seem like good month choices for "Pass the Proton Pack" to debut although July flows in better time-wise like with Venom 2's trailer. I'm hopin' this trailer flows closer to the first movie's trailer tone-wise, even if the darker tone of the trailer was something I praised. Although I do think the other one (Fathom Cutdown) might be intended for a Fathom Events kinda thing, which I theorize could be a double feature of GB 1 and 2.
timeware wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:58 am
This isn't going to be the last Ghostbusters movie. Look at the view's for the staypuft reveal, and the trailer. Then look at the views for the Real Ghostbusters, and Extreme Ghostbusters episodes on you tube. There's interest in this franchise other then us and Sony knows it.

The story may be about closure but it's also about new begining's. Why bother having new characters at all if theyr're going to be throw away's like Rogue One? It's established early on that Rudd is a fan, he knows the equipment. Even Louis suited up at the end of Ghostbusters II. If he doesn't get possessed he's going to be their new tech guy.
Oh yeah it will be very far from the last Ghostbusters project. However I am getting the feeling that it will be the last film with this much love and effort put into it, but we’ll see. I think if the filmmakers do a great job with this one where we leave the theater going, “Wow that is going to be a hard movie to follow.” Then they have done their job very well. I am thinking that’s the way this movie will play out.

Now I have no idea of what other future projects may be on the horizon, but we did know of 2 that were in the early stages of development, Ecto Force and the full length Animated film. Of course the Ghostbusters 3 concept took on very many forms before we saw the 2009 video game, ATC and Now Afterlife. So Ecto Force and The New animated film could be very different than what Ghost Corps was initially conceiving.

Personally I hope that they don’t change too much. Ecto Force really sounded like it would be a lot of fun. For starters it takes place in the future so there would be no need to reference the original film or characters too much. I heard that it would of course focus on a new team of Ghostbusters that would travel the world and fight supernatural threats. I had also heard that when this team goes on these supernatural globe trotting adventures that they would team up with other Ghostbusters teams from around the world.

That concept sounds really great. It would feel very similar to the cinematic world that the Fan community created with their fan films. It is very close to Dan Aykroyd’s original vision before the film we know and love became a going into business story set in contemporary time.

As for the Animated Film, I really do not know how much is true. I had heard Ivan say at a comic con panel that it was the one furthest into development before Afterlife became the central focus. I had heard that the story would be through a Ghost’s perspective. I don’t know if that means that this was going to be the story of the first film only through some random Ghosts point of view or if it was going to be a completely different adventure just set in a time and place where the Original Crew was still active. That would leave room for Surviving OGs to reprise their roles again to voice their respective characters. That way we can see more adventures with the original crew, yet still be satisfied with the way their chapter closed in Afterlife.

Again plans could change, but I really do hope those projects become a reality. :):):)
JonXCTrack wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:06 am Instead, I think it would be better to wait 10 years, and do a proper reboot with the original characters like Nolan did with Batman.
After already having had one hard reboot of the film series in recent memory, I'm not too keen on hard rebooting the franchise again... Ever. Especially as that reboot would likely retcon the film's timeline for a some fresh-faced versions of Peter, Ray, Egon and Winston.

I'd rather take the Star Trek TV series or MCU approach, we grow and age with the franchise... The familiar characters we know eventually bow out (and the most popular are given a show-stopping final send-off), while helping to set up their successors... Like what happened with Cap and Falcon.

I know that "the reboot in ten years" is something we've gotten used to, but I think that's more suited to franchises like the comics or with Bond, where it's impossible to tell all the stories with just one actor. For Ghostbusters, I think it plays into the franchises's roots of being grounded in reality to show that, yeah, these guys get old like the rest of us.

We've seen the torch being passed before, and even successfully in the form of XGB, I'd prefer an ongoing Ghostbusters cinematic universe, to Ghostbusters Begins.
deadderek, timeware, tylergfoster and 5 others liked this
We don't have a trilogy. Or a TV series. We didn't have decades of world-building comics and novels BEFORE the first movie. Ghostbusters' origins, mythology, locations and characters are all in the first film. The second didn't even expand on it. If you don't want to take the franchise name only and slab it on new ideas to sell, at the core of everything new there needs to be the first one.
deadderek liked this
Following the latest briefing by the Prime Minister this afternoon, it's looking like UK cinemas will be scheduled to reopen from the 17th of May, this follows the news that there've been no reported deaths from Covid-19 in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

This news will likely provide some boost to Sony's plan to release Afterlife in November, should we not suffer any setbacks.
Davideverona, pizzarat, deadderek and 3 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:06 am
TheLegendOfMart wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:14 am

Personally, for me, Ghostbusters is Egon, Peter, Ray, and Winston. I don't want a Ghostbusters 4 with an 85 year old Ray mentoring college kids, even if one of those kids is Egon's granddaughter. I'd prefer that they leave it open ended so that fans can assume that someone, at some point, will provide ghostbusting services in the future. But I don't think that more movies in this universe are necessary. Instead, I think it would be better to wait 10 years, and do a proper reboot with the original characters like Nolan did with Batman.
There's no reason why this can't segue into a TV show following a franchise startup in a different part of the country. I think a live action TV show would be interesting.

Ghostbusters doesn't REALLY feature that much actual Ghost Busting. We get a set piece then a montage and generally that's it till the big boss battle at the end. Having weekly paranormal investigations and eliminations would be cool.
TheLegendOfMart wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: May 10th, 2021, 8:06 am Personally, for me, Ghostbusters is Egon, Peter, Ray, and Winston. I don't want a Ghostbusters 4 with an 85 year old Ray mentoring college kids, even if one of those kids is Egon's granddaughter. I'd prefer that they leave it open ended so that fans can assume that someone, at some point, will provide ghostbusting services in the future. But I don't think that more movies in this universe are necessary. Instead, I think it would be better to wait 10 years, and do a proper reboot with the original characters like Nolan did with Batman.
There's no reason why this can't segue into a TV show following a franchise startup in a different part of the country. I think a live action TV show would be interesting.

Ghostbusters doesn't REALLY feature that much actual Ghost Busting. We get a set piece then a montage and generally that's it till the big boss battle at the end. Having weekly paranormal investigations and eliminations would be cool.
I agree that a live action show would be great. But I'd rather do it with the original characters set it in modern day. Follow these characters as they go from being college researchers, to starting a business, to having different paranormal adventures.
philmorgan81 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:47 am
Michael Scott wrote:I’m going to guess that at the end of the movie there isn’t going to be a new team set up for the future. They’ll work together to survive whatever crisis exists, but it’ll end there. The important story to wrap up will be Callie’s family getting back on their feet. I doubt there will be much left of the farmhouse at the end for them to settle there. It just doesn’t feel like this is pointing in the direction of going into business again. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I am not really getting a going into or back into business vibe in the story Jason is planning on telling. :):):)
Maybe it's just me, but it would seem asinine to do only one movie if this is supposed to be a "passing of the torch" story.
deadderek, Kingpin, Corey91 and 1 others liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]