Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I think advertising for Ghostbusters: Afterlife, and marketing for Ghostbusters in general is a bit like hitting a moving target right now. In order to maximize profits, the timing of releasing trailers and merchandise is crucial. If they were to release everything right now, and the film gets delayed again, then they lose all of that momentum. But if they wait too long, and the movie does release in June, then perhaps not enough causal fans learn of a new Ghostbusters film and the attendance is poor. If attendance by casual fans (particularly children just learning about Ghostbusters) is poor, then merchandise sales also suffer.

Someone brought up the Hasbro online festival. Did anyone else notice that the sculptor was working on the fright feature Slimer figure from the 80s? (This is the figure I'm talking about: http://ronsrescuedtreasures.com/Real-Gh ... 71926.aspx). It seems to me that they aren't just going to re-sculpt a replica of a figure from the 80s for fun. I think we may be seeing a re-release of the Kenner fright feature line at some point.
deadderek, Wafflerobot liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: November 1st, 2020, 1:29 pm Masks. Its all about masks.

We're enjoying our third day in a row of zero new cases and zero deaths all because the government made masks mandatory and fined people if they didn't wear one.
We'll be wearing masks till at least December maybe even into 2021, but it has worked wonders.
If America would do the same, the movie would be looking at a March 2021 date still.

Being optimistic (I'm been quite pessimistic the last few comments here) Ghostbusters:Afterlife might be able to be released in October 2021 as a Halloween flavored release (nothing changing in the film, just some promos doing the Halloween thing) and then after being in theaters 2 or 3 weeks, release on streaming VOD a few days before Halloween. Then release all physical media releases in late November (in time for Black Friday) and that would likely gross far more money than the crowded summer it is currently listed in. Ghostbusters:Afterlife can be the safe family Halloween movie of 2021.
groschopf liked this
Sav C wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm I'm surprised that streaming services would offer to buy a movie like No Time to Die for $600 million, but these are strange times. I really want to see Afterlife in theaters. I'm not usually a theater goer--I have to be really hyped about a movie to see it on the silver screen. Plus I want to get a chance to watch it in 3D if possible. I'm not a 3d guy, but I want to experience this movie in every way possible.
It doesn't sound like anyone actually did. $600m is what MGM determined they'd want for it to go to streaming, before Barbara Broccoli said she wouldn't approve it at any price.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
Davideverona wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:21 pm 2020 officially sucks. We just lost one of the last great italian actors we had. Right on the day of his 80 birthday.
You have my commiserations. In addition to Gigi Proietti, the UK lost the legendary Scottish actor Sean Connery on Saturday. :(
droidguy1119 wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:16 am
Sav C wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm I'm surprised that streaming services would offer to buy a movie like No Time to Die for $600 million, but these are strange times. I really want to see Afterlife in theaters. I'm not usually a theater goer--I have to be really hyped about a movie to see it on the silver screen. Plus I want to get a chance to watch it in 3D if possible. I'm not a 3d guy, but I want to experience this movie in every way possible.
It doesn't sound like anyone actually did. $600m is what MGM determined they'd want for it to go to streaming, before Barbara Broccoli said she wouldn't approve it at any price.
It’s always interesting when you know the real story going on behind the scenes and then see how the media reports it. There have been a few instances in my life where I’ve seen a story run that I know for a fact is inherently false but nothing is ever done. It makes you think how often that happens in other industries.

The truth is, whether they admit it or not, MGM was actively hearing bids and not just for the lastest Bond movie. Apparently the 600 million also included exclusive streaming rights to the entire bond library(and future movies—after theatrical) For X period of time. Apple was willing to pull the trigger BEFORE the story broke, but then word got to Eon and everything changed. Here’s the crazy thing. 600 million was the starting price. I’ve heard bidding went North from there. Which is just insane. Insane.
deadderek, Wafflerobot liked this
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc- ... 234821785/

AMC the United States largest theater chain, has lost almost a billion dollars and will probably go under.

They can hold on the movie as long as they want but the ship might have already sailed...or sunk and there might not be theaters to realese in when all this is over. Studios might just have to take there lumps and know that the age of the summer blockbuster is done.
SpaceBallz liked this
ecto88mph wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:51 pmhttps://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc- ... 234821785/

AMC the United States largest theater chain, has lost almost a billion dollars and will probably go under.

They can hold on the movie as long as they want but the ship might have already sailed...or sunk and there might not be theaters to realese in when all this is over. Studios might just have to take there lumps and know that the age of the summer blockbuster is done.
Thats only theaters in America. They're still open in other countries.
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:54 pm
Davideverona wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 1:21 pm 2020 officially sucks. We just lost one of the last great italian actors we had. Right on the day of his 80 birthday.
You have my commiserations. In addition to Gigi Proietti, the UK lost the legendary Scottish actor Sean Connery on Saturday. :(
Connery was a worldwide treasure :) luckily, these kind of actors leaves behind a huge amount of art and it's like they're not really gone.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
When I worked in retail it was a big no no to take any pictures, or even talk about merchandise that wasn't supposed to be released before a movies specified dates. As glad as I am to see this, please don't get into trouble over our accounts. I don't want to see anyone risking their jobs just to give us info. Especially during these hard times.
groschopf liked this
Everything we have seen so far heavily implies Phoebe to be a Spengler of some sort, I'd be suprised if Jason does a switcheroo on us.
groschopf wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 12:46 pm It's got to be a nightmare for the studio to prevent leaks the longer it takes to get this film in front of viewers.
I'm surprised that ecto 1 toy box cover is still up, consider how fast that bill Muary in jump suit Instagram video was taken down. Is that ghost corps guy slacking because it's election day?
Bison256 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 3:07 pm
groschopf wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 12:46 pm It's got to be a nightmare for the studio to prevent leaks the longer it takes to get this film in front of viewers.
I'm surprised that ecto 1 toy box cover is still up, consider how fast that bill Muary in jump suit Instagram video was taken down. Is that ghost corps guy slacking because it's election day?
The Bill Murray leak was accidental and by someone involved with the movie.

There have multiple leaks of the toys for months. Those he would have no ability to control at all. He doesn't have magical powers.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]