Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:37 am There you go again, using "feminist" like it's a bad word...

I too identify as a feminist and a fan of both movies.
While I mentioned my wife and friends before, I ought to say same here, for the record.
Kingpin, seekandannoy liked this
Kingpin wrote:
For what it's worth, the only complaints I've been seeing about Afterlife either here or on the Facebook group are from fans of the 80s franchise. If any of the complainants are "ATC feminists", they aren't making it obvious that they are.

Likewise I'm not seeing any calls for a boycott. (And at this point, I'm not particularly interested in seeing these calls).
Twitter is where most of the hate for Afterlife is coming from. Twitter in general is a pretty toxic place. Social Justice Warriors (in which I would group feminists) cut both ways. There are some that genuinely want equal opportunities for all walks of life, then there are those that want equality of outcomes, and are all too happy to cut people down so that everyone can be miserable with equal amounts of zero. The latter has been very vocal about their disapproval of Afterlife, believing that it is rewarding "manbabies" that whined about ATC getting made. The reality of the situation is that a majority of casual and hardcore fans alike wanted a continuation of the original universe. It is also a reality that film making, by and large, is a business. When you don't make money on your product, you go OUT of business. I don't know if it was ATC losing $70 million, or if it was Jason Reitman's pitch for Afterlife (or both), but Sony is finally going forward in the direction most people wanted to begin with because they believe it is a good business decision.

With that said, there are a few people that I know that are fans of the original two films, and they don't want to see a third film because too much time has passed. The idea of anyone other than Egon, Peter, Ray, and Winston being Ghostbusters just doesn't appeal to them.
RichRyan1507 liked this
Just to clear up some confusion on here...

Feminist = someone who believes men and women deserve equal treatment.

That's literally what it means. End of discussion. You wanna debate that? Go somewhere else.

As for the general reaction to the trailer? Last Monday nearly everyone on our crew who knows me came up to tell me how excited they were. This trailer was like an appetizer, letting everyone know what's coming. Everything that comes after will build hype and I GUARANTEE we will see some of the OGs in the next trailer.
Kingpin, robbritton, Alphagaia and 4 others liked this
Dr.D wrote:Just to clear up some confusion on here...

That's literally what it means. End of discussion. You wanna debate that? Go somewhere else.
That's what it means, sure. But actions speak louder than words, or in this case, labels.
2GunsRacing liked this
Davideverona wrote: December 17th, 2019, 9:27 am Speculation:
Egon was the first to pass away.

The Ghostbusters closed shop and Ray retired in his old house in Summerville and he kept his dear friend belongings. Then Ray passed away too and his daughter inherits the house.
There’s no way Ray’s dead. If any of the original crew were always guaranteed to appear it was Dan.

They’re Egon’s family. I don’t know how or why, and I look forward to finding out, but they’re 100% Egon’s.
seekandannoy liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: December 17th, 2019, 9:03 am
Dr.D wrote:Just to clear up some confusion on here...

That's what it means, sure. But actions speak louder than words, or in this case, labels.
That's such a cop out Dr.d. you damn well know there's different sides to feminism. Yet I get jumped on for simply saying what's happening on you tube.

There are numerous types of feminest groups out there. It just that the extreme ones get the most attention.
timeware wrote: December 17th, 2019, 7:24 amThere are different groups of feminists. It's kind of difficult to get around the word when they don't belong to a named club or movement.
Yes, there are many different groups of feminists, and you end up referring to all of them by describing the fans of the 2016 movie you don't like/agree with as "ATC feminists".

Let me suggest an alternate: "ATC extremists", "ATC radicals", "ATC zealots"... Any of those would get the same point across without blanket associating anyone who describes themself as a feminist.

Feminists weren't the ones who caused the fracas three years ago, it was extremists.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 17th, 2019, 9:03 am That's what it means, sure. But actions speak louder than words, or in this case, labels.
Or inappropriately applied labels.
timeware wrote: December 17th, 2019, 9:40 amYet I get jumped on for simply saying what's happening on you tube.
-because you derailed the topic to throw in an entirely unneccessary post to talk about some of the extreme ATC fans. To be impolite about it, but who gives a f*** what they think? Sony is not going to make a new film in the ATC universe, nor put Afterlife on hold, so why worry about what they're saying/demanding?
robbritton, Alphagaia, Sav C and 3 others liked this
Well, in Ghostbusters Alive Again both Egon and Ray were dead. Their ghosts lend an helpful hand in the final big battle. Ray even possessed his son through the movie.

I'm believing that they're Spengler, too... But there's a 5% of me that thinks that the spores collection and the jumpsuit in the trailer are just a way to misguide us.
Barring a major bait and switch, the trailer makes it pretty clear that Phoebe, Trevor and Callie are Egon's daughter and grandkids.

So many fans had (and seemingly still) assumed the house would be Ray's based on a throwaway remark in the first movie, ignoring the likely possibility that Ray's childhood home was in one of the five boroughs of the metropolitan sprawl of greater New York, and instead going for the shoddy bit of speculative plotting to suggest the Stantz house just so happened to stand in the exact same town as the mine for Ivo Shandor's architectural/construction company.

From the perspective of a fanfic writer, that's not a very creative plot development, and I'm sure Jason wouldn't fall into such a pit.
robbritton, deadderek, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
I think it has been said here earlier, but I am getting the feeling that this trailer although the first theatrical trailer felt like another teaser. I love how many of us here are discussing the possibilities. Like the feeling that many of us are getting that this is Egon’s family YET we are still not 100% sure. I have been convinced that it is Egon’s family since the Family picture reveal, but they could still pull the rug out from under me which is making this way more fun for me. This is the most excited I have been for a movie in a long time. :)

You know I loved the direction and serious tone they appear to be going with. I know there is going to be great humor in it, it is just being saved. I also love that we didn’t get the theme song YET. It left me wanting more and again with each tid bit they share I get more and more hooked. I think when the movie comes out I will still have my mind blown by how good this movie actually is. This just speculation, but it’s just that strong feeling that I have had since teaser trailer 1. This is such a fun ride. :):):)
This first trailer is definitely for the fans. It’s a reassurance that the new one follows the first two and it relies entirely on an existing knowledge of what Ghostbusters is.

My hope is that the next trailer is a bit more explanatory and action leaning for new younger audiences. If my son hadn’t known about Ghostbusters already through me, I’m not sure the current trailer would have particularly grabbed his attention. I’ve said it before, but just relying on nostalgia is madness in Hollywood at the moment. It’s got to get the kids excited to see it. Ghostbusters lives or dies by children being excited about it. Us idiots going super overboard for it the first time round is really the reason it still exists today!
Kingpin, mrmichaelt liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 10:04 am The best trailers leave us wanting more, and it's fair to say the both trailers so far have achieved what they set out to do.

Conversely, who's watched the trailer today? :)
The right question is: how many times you all watched the trailer today? 😁

You know, I'm not assuming the house is Ray's because of that line in the first movie, but for the same reason we're thinking its Egon's: to investigate further on the Shandor plans.

But, again, my whole heart, brain and soul thinks they're Spengler's. It's just a tiny little part of me that thinks those bits in the trailer are:

A- a very smart way to derail us.

B- a very good way to reassure us that, yes, that's Egon's family.
Kingpin, deadderek, back liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 9:51 am Barring a major bait and switch, the trailer makes it pretty clear that Phoebe, Trevor and Callie are Egon's daughter and grandkids.

So many fans had (and seemingly still) assumed the house would be Ray's based on a throwaway remark in the first movie, ignoring the likely possibility that Ray's childhood home was in one of the five boroughs of the metropolitan sprawl of greater New York, and instead going for the shoddy bit of speculative plotting to suggest the Stantz house just so happened to stand in the exact same town as the mine for Ivo Shandor's architectural/construction company.

From the perspective of a fanfic writer, that's not a very creative plot development, and I'm sure Jason wouldn't fall into such a pit.
The biblical quote on the junk near the road also reinforced the idea it was Ray's house.
Initially, yes. But after seeing how Grace has been made up, the discovery of the P.K.E., the petri dishes of mold and fungi, the emphasis on Spengler's uniform... And the fact the film could serve as a large tribute to Harold, the most likely candidate of the four Ghostbusters to be the former owner of the house is Egon.
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 11:20 am Initially, yes. But after seeing how Grace has been made up, the discovery of the P.K.E., the petri dishes of mold and fungi, the emphasis on Spengler's uniform... And the fact the film could serve as a large tribute to Harold, the most likely candidate of the four Ghostbusters to be the former owner of the house is Egon.
Oh I agree, I'm starting to wonder if the qoute wasn't purposeful misdirection.
I’d be disappointed if it was misdirection. I’m all in on the idea of this being Egon’s family. Plus, since she said “my grandfather died” in the trailer, presumably they would have to have a second original Ghostbuster deceased if it’s not Egon. That doesn’t sound like a love letter to the fans to me. As much as the parties involved need this movie to succeed, a bait and switch marketing campaign is not the way to go.
RichRyan1507, moviemaker29, Corey91 and 3 others liked this
Michael Scott wrote: December 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm I’d be disappointed if it was misdirection. I’m all in on the idea of this being Egon’s family. Plus, since she said “my grandfather died” in the trailer, presumably they would have to have a second original Ghostbuster deceased if it’s not Egon. That doesn’t sound like a love letter to the fans to me. As much as the parties involved need this movie to succeed, a bait and switch marketing campaign is not the way to go.
I meant the biblical quote on the junk we saw in the photos of house was something the production put out to make fans think it was Ray's House, I don't think they'll lie to us about them being Egon's family.
Last edited by Bison256 on December 17th, 2019, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 10:04 am The best trailers leave us wanting more, and it's fair to say the both trailers so far have achieved what they set out to do.

Conversely, who's watched the trailer today? :)
It pisses me off to no end how most modern day trailers "give it all away" and so far it seems this movie is avoiding that. Makes me very happy. :)

I've only watched it once today...but I have been watching it daily hoping to see or notice something I hadn't before...
Kingpin, Sav C, tylergfoster liked this
That's such a cop out Dr.d. you damn well know there's different sides to feminism. Yet I get jumped on for simply saying what's happening on you tube.

There are numerous types of feminest groups out there. It just that the extreme ones get the most attention.

Nah see I wasn't talking about Feminist groups.

I was talking about Feminism.

A group =/= the whole.

Save this talk for...ANYWHERE else.
Kingpin, deadderek, robbritton and 5 others liked this
Bison256 wrote: December 17th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Michael Scott wrote: December 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm I’d be disappointed if it was misdirection. I’m all in on the idea of this being Egon’s family. Plus, since she said “my grandfather died” in the trailer, presumably they would have to have a second original Ghostbuster deceased if it’s not Egon. That doesn’t sound like a love letter to the fans to me. As much as the parties involved need this movie to succeed, a bait and switch marketing campaign is not the way to go.
I meant the biblical quote on the junk we saw in the photos of house was something the production put out to make fans think it was Ray's House, I don't think they'll lie to us about them being Egon's family.
Pretty smart set dressing if so! We fool ourselves by being too obsessed in the first place! I like it!
deadderek liked this
I also find it real ridiculous that you went with "feminists" when the whole point of the story were that they're fans of Ghostbusters (2016) who are upset that it isn't getting a sequel. You could try calling them "Ghostbusters (2016) fans who are upset that it isn't getting a sequel."

Even if they are angry, and lashing out, I get it. I know one woman who is especially peeved, and her POV makes perfect sense: she was a lifelong fan, the gender-swap really spoke to her as a fan and a woman, and then literally from the day Feig and Dippold were announced as writing the script, parts of the fanbase threw a deeply offensive tantrum about the mere idea of the movie. It left a permanent black mark on the franchise for her that will always be there, brought up every time there's a new Ghostbusters thing.

The new movie has of course brought out many good fans, who like or disliked the 2016 film respectfully, a lot of fans who try to avoid the subject but can't help but snipe about it, and the actual misogynists all over again. She feels, and understandably so, that it's painful to watch the negative and hateful groups of fans getting to have a celebratory moment when many of them intentionally destroyed one that meant the world to her. She has a right to be mad, to express that, and people should just let her and others who feel the same vent. What does it matter? No movie will please everyone -- there are of course the "why's it about kids?" crowd and the "it should be set in NYC" crowd and this is another crowd.

It's all fine!
Last edited by tylergfoster on December 17th, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSJmole, Kingpin, Alphagaia liked this
As the O.P. can I ask you guys take off topic conversations to private messages?

Thanks.

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]