Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Davideverona wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:47 am
deadderek wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:17 am

...something like that yeah....yeah. It's not a spoiler I'll say that. But definitely one not out there at the moment.
Nice to hear! Now, in Italy it's 1.45 pm... Hope to see it soon!
Are you Davide P. on Twitter?
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 29th, 2021, 7:47 am And where will we see this image?
My bad, I think maybe it's not unseen, I think It's from the Lego book.

Sav C, Kingpin liked this
Coover5 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:59 pm QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

What fan produced material are you most looking forward to when Ghostbusters Afterlife is produced? Fan fiction? Fan art? Replica props?

I think I'm most looking forward to Alex Newborn's deep dive into the film. I love his videos and hope this will revive the (not really) dead "Ghostbusters Pet Peeves" video series.
The Ghostbusters 2 documentary from the people who did “Cleanin’ Up The Town”. That’s, no joke, one of my most anticipated upcoming movies. To see an an entire feature length documentary dedicated to GB2 is something I’ve wanted for decades. More so than GB1. Ghostbusters 1 & it’s history/production is ground that’s been covered so many times that there weren’t many new tidbits I learned from the documentary. But GB2? With all the ILM sequences that had maybe or maybe not completed FX that got cut, the crazy production....I can’t wait.

Here’s something some of you may find interesting.
I’ve been reading J.W. Rinzler’s phenomenal Star Wars “Making of” books and the one on Return of the Jedi is pretty fascinating. I get the impression that VFX guru’s Dennis Muren & Richard Edlund did NOT like each other or get along while working at ILM. So after work on Jedi is complete Edlund leaves ILM & takes a bunch of ILM employees(and equipment) with him to form the visual effects company BOSS films(this story is told in the Cleaning up the town documentary). The first movie BOSS does visual effects for is Ghostbusters. Some at ILM see this as a huge betrayal. Former friends & colleagues are now competitors & now BOSS has what will eventually become the movie of the summer that everyone talks about. Not Temple of Doom. Ghostbusters.

At the 1985 Oscars 3 films got nominated for the best VFX Oscar for movies released in 1984, Ghostbusters(BOSS), 2010(BOSS) & Temple of Doom(ILM). Temple of Doom wins which was Dennis Muren’s gig. Some of you may know that after Ghostbusters came out Ivan kinda bad mouthed the effects(which is insane given the time crunch).

Soo 5 years later when Ghostbusters 2 comes along, who does the visual effects? Not Richard Edlund & BOSS films. Nope. Dennis Muren & ILM. Now officially Dennis says he took the gig because he wanted to see how Ivan made his comedies. But no way do I buy that.
I think this was a middle finger to Edlund for leaving, forming a competing company & poaching ILM talent. Not to mention that finally, once & for all, people could see these two titans of visual effects tackle the exact same franchise from competing companies. I think Dennis Muren wanted to show up Richard Edlund. When you think about it Ghostbusters 2 seems like an odd gig for ILM’s top VFX supervisor to take on.

So this is a really long & convoluted way of saying I’m extremely interested to hear what Dennis Muren has to say in that documentary.
deadderek, Alphagaia, moviemaker29 and 2 others liked this
"Too Hot To Handle" is going to be tremendous. As someone who has read the 1989 Cinefex article many times, I am always wanting to learn more about the production of GBII, especially the deleted/incomplete scenes. I'm also expecting that very soon we'll get the announcement about the much-anticipated release of Randy Edelman's GBII score as well.

It's a good time to be a ghost-head.
Sav C, deadderek, Corey91 liked this
RichardLess wrote: At the 1985 Oscars 3 films got nominated for the best VFX Oscar for movies released in 1984, Ghostbusters(BOSS), 2010(BOSS) & Temple of Doom(ILM). Temple of Doom wins which was Dennis Muren’s gig. Some of you may know that after Ghostbusters came out Ivan kinda bad mouthed the effects(which is insane given the time crunch).
This seems like kind of a political move by Oscars tbh. BOSS deserved the win.

In any case, I'd argue the effects in the original Ghostbusters are better than both Temple of Doom and GB2. There may have been technical advancements but the creative direction of GB2 was way less memorable in the ghost department, outside of the river of slime, blowing bubbles into a liquid jar and the Scoleri brothers.
deadderek liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 29th, 2021, 10:16 am
RichardLess wrote: At the 1985 Oscars 3 films got nominated for the best VFX Oscar for movies released in 1984, Ghostbusters(BOSS), 2010(BOSS) & Temple of Doom(ILM). Temple of Doom wins which was Dennis Muren’s gig. Some of you may know that after Ghostbusters came out Ivan kinda bad mouthed the effects(which is insane given the time crunch).
This seems like kind of a political move by Oscars tbh. BOSS deserved the win.

In any case, I'd argue the effects in the original Ghostbusters are better than both Temple of Doom and GB2. There may have been technical advancements but the creative direction of GB2 was way less memorable in the ghost department, outside of the river of slime, blowing bubbles into a liquid jar and the Scoleri brothers.
I’ve always thought GB2 had the better quality and more consistent visual effects. They move the camera too where as GB1 was locked off. GB1 has a few shots that could’ve been better. The terror dog crossing the street(great story about that in the Cleanin Up The Town documentary), some of the matte lines and the inconsistency in the proton stream effects. I’ve this said before but GB1 has my overall favourite proton stream shots(“Aim for the flat top”, the shot of the GB’s shooting Mr. Stay Puft on fire and the final crossing the streams. But some of the shots when they are busting Slimer, specifically right before the trap goes off...are not good) but GB2 has the more consistent and cleaner proton stream shots. I LOVE the lasso idea/effect.
Theres also the shot of the terror dog saying “Zuuul” where it’s very clearly a light bulb in its mouth. Same with the red eye when the terror dog statue starts to crumble, it’s clearly a red light bulb. I know some people see those janky effects and see charm & that’s cool. I also think Ivan Reitman made an editing mistake with the library ghost transformation gag. He holds on the shot for too long. I’d make the library ghost gag shorter. There’s just a few frames too many where I’m guessing the transformation was suppose to continue to it’s scarier form before that idea was scrapped.

I don’t think there were any major VFX breakthroughs between 84-89 that ILM used on GB2. Both schedules were insane. GB1 certainly has the more iconic FX. I prefer Slimer in GB1 as well, he’s just too big in GB2. But that first pull out shot of the Statue of Liberty....holy shit. It’s so damn good that for years I thought it was an early CGI shot. But it’s not. That GB2 wasn’t nominated for an Oscar is a crime.

As for the Academy Award on GB1. It’s a hard one. Temple of Doom isn’t as VFX heavy as Ghostbusters but there’s one shot that is just mind blowing. I have a feeling they won simply for this one shot alone. It’s Mola Ram’s death plunge. The camera follows him down as he whacks his head off the rock. That shot is so clean that it blows my mind. Not a matte line to be found and it was all rotoscoped. But BOSS should’ve won simply for doing that much quality work in the schedule they had. Plus they were a brand new business! It’s nuts.
pizzarat, robbritton, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Amen on Mola Ram's death dive - just incredible.

I'll always go to bat for GB1 on the effects front because the Stay Puft reveal is mind blowingly good (despite that darn streetlight) and because the first shot of Slimer is the best that guy has ever looked. Just that lump of rubber hammering some food into its face and it's a million times better than any subsequent appearance.

GB2 has better streams in the courtroom and by and large its effects are superlative, so this isn't really a disagreement, just that for every shonky effect in GB1, there's something magic right alongside it.
deadderek liked this
robbritton wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:22 pm Amen on Mola Ram's death dive - just incredible.

I'll always go to bat for GB1 on the effects front because the Stay Puft reveal is mind blowingly good (despite that darn streetlight) and because the first shot of Slimer is the best that guy has ever looked. Just that lump of rubber hammering some food into its face and it's a million times better than any subsequent appearance.

GB2 has better streams in the courtroom and by and large its effects are superlative, so this isn't really a disagreement, just that for every shonky effect in GB1, there's something magic right alongside it.
That first glimpse of Slimer is the perfect example of why I prefer this analog style over digital when doing ghosts. Or compare the library ghost to the ghost that throws up slime in GB16(I’m not trying to pick on the movie for no reason). So Slimer when we first see him...he looks like some kind of entity. He’s kinda transparent. Flash forward to the Slimer in GB16 and Slimer doesn’t look like a spectral ghost. He doesn’t have that ethereal quality. He’s got too much detail & he’s too “clean”. He looks like a creature & not a ghost. Same with the library ghost. There’s something different even though both movies used live action actors. The Library ghost looks like...a ghost(before the transformation). She’s almost 2D in a way. I don’t know how to describe it. But ghosts in modern movies...they look too bright or too clean. Like you can make out too much detail or something.

I’ve never seen a good CGI ghost. I just haven’t. There’s something about the old optical printing effects they used in movies like Poltergeist & Ghostbusters that just looks better when it comes to ghosts. Does anyone else find that? Even when they use real actors like in The Frighteners with Michael J Fox. The ghosts look too “clean”. That was one of the first movies where ghosts had that clean digital compositing aesthetic.
RedSpecial, lozbloke, robbritton and 1 others liked this
I was just thinking. You know what I would really love to see happen in this new movie?

A couple reprises of Randy Edelman’s heroic GB theme from GB2. You know the one. That’s a great friggin theme. Makes the GB’s feel like superhero’s(which isn’t exactly appropriate but the kid in me use to get so effing pumped when that theme hit after Ray goes “You got him! You got him!” in the court room scene). I would love to hear it somewhere. Maybe the version of when Janine is suiting Louis up. Or the “something decent, something pure...” and then cut to Lady Liberty with that Duuun, dun dun dun duuun music.

That’s one thing Reitman does really well in the two GB movies. He gets you pumped up. If your pulse isnt going up right when Venkman yells “Come on let’s run some red lights!” Followed by the music? Damnnn. Or the crowd chanting “Ghostbusters! Ghostbusters!”. But the big one is “Grab your sticks”....just got me giddy as a kid. It’s so badass.

Same thing in GB2. When Lady Liberty smashes in the museum roof “I love it when you rough house!” God. Even as an adult I get pumped. The music and the editing and the visual just sing. “Oscar look!” Down come my heroes repelling on f****g ropes from the Statue of god damn Liberty. *chefs kiss*. Perfect.

I hope Jason maintains that almost western feel of awe when the Ghostbusters are doing their thang.
Sav C, Dr.D, pizzarat and 3 others liked this
A perfect scene for that would be the return of Oscar. They are watching the new big bad make it's appereance. Oscar is suited up.
Oscar: Last time I saw something like this they were changing my diapers.
Music builds up
Rudd: Hate to break it to you, after this we'll be changing their diapers.
I have a theory. I think Egon didn't die of natural causes. I think he died by getting pulled into the ghost dimension by Gozer. And in the movie, we will see a digital Harold Ramis (Rogue One style) still alive in the ghost dimension who help the rest of the Ghostbusters.
Davideverona wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:06 am I wonder if Grooberson will use the Sex Panther cologne.
Only 60% of the time.
Grooberson IS Oscar. I wouldn't keep my name after being kidnapped by a Carpathian demi-god's ward dressed as a nanny. & Paul Rudd has been playing characters younger than himself for decades. I mean I'm probably wrong, but that reveal would have me crying.
philmorgan81 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:35 am LOL! I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I think it would be kind of cool if they revealed that Grooberson was one of the little boys waving around the Ghostbusters T Shirts at the end of the first film. :):):)
Didn't Jason Rietman reveal that as the plan? Or did I dream that? Because I've had that same thought since day one.
philmorgan81 liked this
Wouldn't surprise me. The kid in the Iron man helmet in the MCU ends up being Peter Parker. Oscar being Rudd defeats the purpose of my joke. If Dana and Peter are still together he's going to be mentioned. It's going to be there. Perhaps he's working for Winston maybe.
philmorgan81 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:35 am LOL! I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I think it would be kind of cool if they revealed that Grooberson was one of the little boys waving around the Ghostbusters T Shirts at the end of the first film. :):):)
Makes sense considering they probably did witness the Crossrip, definitely has a reasonable age distance between '84 and '19. Way more sense than Oscar, who was born way after GB1 even happened. Granted I've seen a claim that Grooberson is the rookie from the 2009 game, although wouldn't work due to the game being supposedly retconned.
philmorgan81 liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]