Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
[just listened to the twitter cast] well..that was a bit fluffy but it was at least SOMETHING lol ( still think Dan or Ernie should have sat in but hey..we wouldnt be here right now if werent for Dan especially, but i digress..

i knew a trailer was unlikely, i was expecting a teaser image of the OGs at the very least.

like..the internet would have exploded today if they dropped just ONE image of the guys in gear together. could've been a shadowy "mysterious" pic too. idk..i think they're holding out a bit TOO much on that front, they couldnt have done that today? tsk tsk.

i digress, my dudes.

I still enjoyed the news and merch coming up overall..

and that night shot of the Ecto outside the house gives me effin goosebumps..
Corey91 liked this
My thoughts for the day overall:

The 4 shirts are ok, wished we had more variety and not all Mini Pufts. I’ll save my money.

Kudos to the Buffalo GBs and everyone that donated. Looking forward to seeing the commissioned sign hanging and lit on the firehouse.

I’ll pass for now on the glow in the dark Hasbro figures. I’d like to get a set of the Mini Pufts, but I’d hope they’d be available before February next year.

Twitter Spaces, huh? Seems odd to choose a platform that even the IGN host was unfamiliar with, let alone the stars and fans. This would’ve been delivered much better as a prerecorded Zoom meeting released on IGN’s YouTube channel, like last year’s Josh Gad video. I hate that Carrie and Logan weren’t able to be a part of the first half of it.

I most enjoyed the character background nuggets (and names!) and the pictures we hadn’t known before, though the “Podcast” nickname will have to grow on me.

I least enjoyed the quote trivia. For the record I thought it was a waste of time on the Gad video last year too.

Finally, the trailer, or lack thereof. I understand why they didn’t release it today. Some would say “It’s the perfect day to release the trailer,” but I’d argue from a marketing perspective it’s the worst day to release it. Ghostbusters Day is naturally going to draw attention, then on a later date they drop the trailer and it gets attention again. Two events, two chances to be in the public eye. If the drop it on Ghostbusters Day, they miss that extra opportunity.

I was hoping for more overall, but I can’t say I’m completely disappointed (or shocked).
deadderek, Corey91 liked this
Timo wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:23 pm I totally spoiled Logan's name 13 months ago
Timo wrote: May 9th, 2020, 4:47 am It's not seven dots, not Asterix but yes have some interdimensional crossrip
Well, that wasn't such a challenge, now, was it? :-)
Ha! I remember reading that and just thinking some copy and paste had gone awry! Well played!
Timo liked this
To be quite honest, beyond May the 4th, I don't think any of these "Days" that relate to the original release have entered the widespread nerd consciousness, much less the public consciousness, so while we might have liked a trailer today, I don't think it's quite as much of a slam dunk from a marketing perspective as it might seem.

New guess: attached to Sony's Hotel Transylvania: Transformania next month, the week of July 23rd.

I would hedge my bets on how much of the OG cast we'll end up getting in the marketing. They avoided mentioning it again today despite the Vanity Fair article. It might be important to Jason and the studio to sell the movie on the strength of the new cast alone, as they are the protagonists and the focus of the story.
Last edited by tylergfoster on June 8th, 2021, 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
groschopf, Sav C, Corey91 liked this
Twitter Spaces was hands down one of the dumbest choices to make on this.
Kingpin, Corey91 liked this
Alphagaia wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:03 pm

If anyone want to listen to it again or for the first time.

Sadly no trailer (yet).
I'm going to spend the rest of my day reading way too much into the part of Jason talking about making the proton packs for the movie describing "everything it makes it feel as though these packs would have been used over the course of three decades" and how the prop makers would be working on them thinking "about the battles the Ghostbusters would have had" when aging the packs up.

Edit: At about the 29 minute mark.
Last edited by Kalonthar on June 8th, 2021, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
BatDan wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:55 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:41 pm It might be important to Jason and the studio to sell the movie on the strength of the new cast alone, as they are the protagonists and the focus of the story.
yeah cause that worked so well the last time we had an OG-less film...
The best thing to hope about Afterlife is that general audiences want to see the movie because it looks good rather than the fact that the original cast is in it. If you're tallying up Ghostbusters fans versus people who go to see movies, the latter is a much bigger and more important number than the former (and it encompasses all of the former to boot).

The easiest argument to make about the 2016 movie is that it flopped because people watched the trailers and didn't want to see it -- arguing that its failure was due to the original cast not being in it (as their characters, anyway) lacks a control necessary to prove causation over correlation.

More importantly, Phoebe, Trevor, Callie, Lucky, and Podcast are the protagonists of the movie. I think there's a reason why Dan and Ernie and whoever else weren't invited to be a part of the Twitter Space, and that's because Sony doesn't want them being the headline versus the actual leads. Right now, we don't even know how much of the movie they're in -- maybe it would be misleading to make them a cornerstone of the ad campaign.
deadderek, groschopf, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 6:08 pm
BatDan wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:55 pm

yeah cause that worked so well the last time we had an OG-less film...
The best thing to hope about Afterlife is that general audiences want to see the movie because it looks good rather than the fact that the original cast is in it. If you're tallying up Ghostbusters fans versus people who go to see movies, the latter is a much bigger and more important number than the former (and it encompasses all of the former to boot).

The easiest argument to make about the 2016 movie is that it flopped because people watched the trailers and didn't want to see it -- arguing that its failure was due to the original cast not being in it (as their characters, anyway) lacks a control necessary to prove causation over correlation.

More importantly, Phoebe, Trevor, Callie, Lucky, and Podcast are the protagonists of the movie. I think there's a reason why Dan and Ernie and whoever else weren't invited to be a part of the Twitter Space, and that's because Sony doesn't want them being the headline versus the actual leads. Right now, we don't even know how much of the movie they're in -- maybe it would be misleading to make them a cornerstone of the ad campaign.

fair enough..I was really just having a bit of fun with that last comment. but sarcasm/jokes aside..

If you want general movie goers and not just GB fans to see this movie. you have to do more than show the Ecto 1 over and over. General people outside the geekdoms dont care about proton packs and props and a couple kids hanging out in a class room. When general movie goers hear the words "ghostbusters" they think Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, and that's just the harsh truth.

So if you want the asses in seats, you're gonna have to hit the lever hard with what made GB famous in the first place: the Original Ghostbusters.

aside from Paul Rudd and maybe Finn..the others arent big enough names to draw for Blockbuster-level attention.

However when you say, The Original Ghostbusters Are BACK! that'll turn alot of heads.

It's not nostalgia as much as just general people love those actors and their comedy and love seeing them in their classic roles.

thats just my two cents.

i dunno, i'm trying to wrap my head around why its such a bad thing to want to promote a ghostbusters movie with the ghostbusters..lol

I mean for christ sakes, we saw Indy in full costume and it's only been filming about a week.

If signs point to cameos and they're not in it enough to be part of the promotions..then i dunno man..

Trust me, i want this movie to do well.
Last edited by BatDan on June 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tried listing out the discussion for future reference.

2:52: It was revealed the character Logan Kim portrays is named Podcast and Celeste O'Connor's character is named Lucky.

6:22: Jason Reitman commented, "I saw a young girl in the middle of a field with a Proton Pack and I imagined a young man discovering the Ecto-1 and it not working, and then Tokyo drifting through that field."

7:43: Ivan Reitman commented it was the greatest honor and thrill for one his children to carry on a story he helped start.

9:00: Finn Wolfhard talks about how he self-taped an audition in his room in Vancouver and put it together it was a Ghostbusters movie when he was asked to come to Jason Reitman's home in Los Angeles. McKenna Grace talked about working in Atlanta when she auditioned and in the scripts, their roles were just "Boy" and "Girl" but she found it in the chemistry reads and read with Logon Kim, and a Proton Pack was there.

12:35: Jason Reitman clarified the movie is not set at all in New York and had to be about a family discovering who they were and them going to someplace that didn't look like the first movie. Like going into a parent or grandparent's attic or basement and finding something about them.

15:20: Celeste O'Connor's character is named Lucky and she's always wanted to leave her home town then meets the new kid at the diner she works at, Trevor. She gets involved in his story and finds her courage and determination and adventure she's always been looking for.

16:44: Ecto-1 certainly plays an important role in the movie. We discover the things that have changed about it in the course of the movie.

20:17: Some green screen was done for the more dangerous parts of the Ecto-1 chase scene. The gunner seat came when they started thinking about what happens to the equipment. The gunner seat put ghostbusting in motion.

21:40: McKenna Grace comments on getting to sit in the Ecto-1 and on the gunner seat and calls it "absolutely magical."

22:14: Mr. Grooberson is a science teacher and Phoebe is a scientist herself who finds herself in small town in a summer school class filled with delinquents and Grooberson immediately takes a liking to her because he sees a like-minded person and becomes a mentor to her.

23:42: McKenna Grace had her mind blown when she first saw the equipment props. Finn Wolfhard emphasizes the movie comes from a fan. There is CG but Jason Reitman was adamant about using a lot of practical effects like the props, make up, sets, and backgrounds. Lucky was skeptical at first but over the course of it, she gets pulled into the adventure. O'Connor never did a big studio film before and just did an indie movie before moving onto Afterlife so she was overwhelmed on the set. O'Connor's father was a film of the movies and showed them to the family when she was growing up.

29:30: Carrie Coon plays a mom just trying to make ends meet and find resources to keep her family afloat and hasn't time for the other parts of her life. Callie shares a cynical sense of humor with Grooberson.

30:30: Jason Reitman comments on watching people trying on the Proton Pack for the first time and the unique smile that happens. The Ecto Goggles can now take Polaroids.

31:31: McKenna Grace remembers she cried when she tried on the Proton Pack for the first time. Finn Wolfhard remembered the camera test and she lost balance at first. Grace got strap burns because of the weight.

33:25: The Proton Pack mold used was built off one of the original 1984 Proton Pack props. They tried to visualize what welds, wire changes, slips, breaks, and cracks to show the age and use of the pack over three decades. The creatures were puppeteered on the set.

35:00: The cast and crew is asked if they believe in the paranormal and had their experiences. Logan Kim's character Podcast is considered the absolute believer in the movie and the heart of the movie. They talk about how Kim took one acting class, did a Fed Ex commercial, and auditioned for Afterlife with a self-tape. Kim was the most confident actor on the set. Carrie talks about hearing footsteps and doors opening at the farmhouse she grew up on.

42:39: Logan Kim could barely see with the Ecto Goggles on and hit McKenna Grace's face once. He also slipped and fell on set. It was hard to position the Ecto Goggles on heads like how Dan Aykroyd could. Jason Reitman gave Kim notes on where to look in a shot but Kim paused and told him he couldn't see.

44:48: Jason Reitman clarifies the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will not return. The Mini Pufts want to watch the world burn and they enjoy it.
Sav C, Davideverona, robbritton and 3 others liked this
Awesome, that's great that the big guy isn't coming back. I always thought that having both the mini's and the big puft would be over kill. Glad they chose to go another route. Of course we'll get regular Stay Puft merch but the mini's will be everywhere once Afterlife is out. Maybe even more popular then the minions.
mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:31 pm There is CG but Jason Reitman was adamant about using a lot of practical effects like the props, make up, sets, and backgrounds.

The creatures were puppeteered on the set.
I wonder if any of the mini-Pufts were done practically, because it looks like they're one-hundred percent CGI, which is both disappointing and ironic. I would think that mini-Pufts would be incredibly easy to do practically. All you gotta do is make suits like the original Stay Puft, and instead of miniatures, use jumbo props and green screen. Add some puppets into the mix, possibly some stop-motion, and if you have to, use CGI for cosmetic purposes only.
mrmichaelt liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:22 pm Here's the first photo, of Lucky.
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1402375116881727490?s=19
I chuckled at the Coke product placement considering the stories bts for the first movie.
groschopf wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:38 pm Wait — is there someone on the ladder doing something to the roof of Ecto-1?
And if so... is that part of the movie, or someone from the crew?
I hope that didn't make it into the movie. lol. But it would be a happy mistake, as production crew were briefly seen in the first movie once or twice.
groschopf wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:48 pm source: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/14023814 ... 28/photo/1
Seeing that shot, the Munsters theme played in my head.
Michael Scott wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:30 pm I least enjoyed the quote trivia. For the record I thought it was a waste of time on the Gad video last year too.
On the bright side, we got one piece of GB2 trivia from Ivan.
droidguy1119 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 5:41 pm New guess: attached to Sony's Hotel Transylvania: Transformania next month, the week of July 23rd.
Agreed. I think that was one of my back up guesses when we were all speculating last month or April-ish.
deadderek liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: June 8th, 2021, 10:49 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: June 8th, 2021, 9:31 pm There is CG but Jason Reitman was adamant about using a lot of practical effects like the props, make up, sets, and backgrounds.

The creatures were puppeteered on the set.
All you gotta do is make suits like the original Stay Puft, and instead of miniatures, use jumbo props and green screen. Add some puppets into the mix, possibly some stop-motion, and if you have to, use CGI for cosmetic purposes only.
I hope this is a joke?
Do you know how much those suits cost and how hard it is to act in them? How hard it is to burn them and melt them over and over? How much time it takes to stop motion them especially if you want it as smooth as the rest of the film? The scenes we see in their reveal trailer alone would have costed a LOOOOT more, with the added problem you are stuck with the end result and can't change anything without a lot of extra costs if you mess something up or something didn't work.

Jason mentioned puppetry was needed for this movie, so we will get to see those, but wanting hundreds of small free roaming marshmallow to be animatronics instead of CGI is asking a lot.
Alphagaia wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:26 pm I hope this is a joke?
Do you know how much those suits cost and how hard it is to act in them? How hard it is to burn them and melt them over and over? How much time it takes to stop motion them especially if you want it as smooth as the rest of the film? The scenes we see in their reveal trailer alone would have costed a LOOOOT more, with the added problem you are stuck with the end result and can't change anything without a lot of extra costs if you mess something up or something didn't work.

Jason mentioned puppetry was needed for this movie, so we will get to see those, but wanting hundreds of small free roaming marshmallow to be animatronics instead of CGI is asking a lot.
Hmm, I wonder how they were able to burn the original Stay Puft Marshmallow Man without CGI...

I'm not saying everything should've been done practically, but it would've been nice if the majority had been. Practical effects have evolved since the 80's, too.
ghoulishfright wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:41 pm
Alphagaia wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:26 pm I hope this is a joke?

Hmm, I wonder how they were able to burn the original Stay Puft Marshmallow Man without CGI...
They made four suits, really expensive ones, and the guy that supposed to do it fell to the ground immediately after being set on fire, ruining take after take. Only with the last suit available they managed to do it by hiring another stunt man.

Edit: woops not 4 suits, 18!
[18 suits were made and used in the first movie, costing $20,000 to $35,000 each. 17 were burned during filming]

So that little stunt costed them multiple suits, ruined a day of shooting and they had to hire a new guy. For a 'simple' fire stunt.

Practical also meant stuff like during the first reveal of stay puft, the actors real body was visible between the buildings as he was wearing only the stay puft head. It was left in the movie because nothing could be done about it anymore because it was all done practical and they had no time to reshoot it.
ghoulishfright wrote: June 8th, 2021, 11:41 pm I'm not saying everything should've been done practically, but it would've been nice if the majority had been. Practical effects have evolved since the 80's, too.
This I can get behind. CGI and Practical is getting better and better, with especially CGI making huge strides these last couple of years as they are cracking realistic lighting, which is huge. I love puppetry and hope we will see some good uses.

I'm just wary how you easy you thought it was to make some of the stuff, when it really isn't.
Last edited by Alphagaia on June 9th, 2021, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia wrote: June 9th, 2021, 12:26 am This I can get behind. CGI and Practical is getting better and better, with especially CGI making huge strides these last couple of years as they are cracking lighting. I love puppetry and hope we will see some good uses.

I'm just wary how you easy you thought it is to make some of the stuff, when it really isn't.
I just meant they could've used suits in general. I wouldn't suggest doing a burn effect with a man or woman in a suit. For that you could use CGI, dummies, or stop-motion. If you've seen the recent Aardman Studios films, you know that stop-motion has evolved lightyears beyond Harryhausen, and the smoothness can rival CGI.
I'd add that a large part of selling effects shots is good cinematography and color grading. From what I've seen, CGI seems to be at its worst when the camera work is too over the top, or the colors are too outlandish to match their surroundings. The limitations of practical effects seem to result in more realistic cinematography, but that doesn't mean that those limitations couldn't be self-imposed when using CGI.
Alphagaia liked this
If you are going to do stop-motion for a burning effect, you are going to have to CGI the flame on top of the puppet anyways.

Plus it takes a lot more time to make, is way more expensive and it locks you in where you cannot alter much after the fact.

I like stop motion, but there is a reason it's not used a lot anymore.

This is a cool video that shows the latest break throughs on CGI:

Especially the reflection on the mandalorians helmet are a game changer, and how CGI sets work and alter the preproduction fase, while still collaborating with practical.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 9th, 2021, 6:31 am I don’t think it would hurt to say when the next trailer is coming tbh. Just say July, Aug, Sept to manage expectations.
Good point. Until the studio says when the next trailer is coming out, people will keeping coming up with dates when they hope it comes out.

Of course, letting everyone hope that it would come out on Ghostbuster Day ensured that people would be following the event on Twitter, didn't it? At the end of the day, these are still business decisions that the creators likely have little or no control over.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, Sav C liked this

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker scen[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]