Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By philmorgan81
RichardLess wrote: August 11th, 2019, 8:19 am
Alphagaia wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:39 am People seem to stuck on the Ghostbusters junior thing from the cartoon. Different writers and different characters, and meant for a much different audience.
Wait. What? Ghostbusters Jr is an actual thing? From RGB? I had no idea lol. I was just using it as a way to describe what the movie might feel like. Like a Sherlock Holmes Jr or something. I don't remember Ghostbusters Jr at all. The only thing that might ring a bell is the original Grundel episode but...I don't remember kids with proton packs or anything. Interesting.

Someone mentioned above that Finn Wolfhard is 17. 17!?! That's..wow. He looks much younger. Then again, since hitting my mid to late 20's I'm finding it insanely hard to judge younger tweens and teenagers' age. They all look 13 to me. It's like..I don't remember everyone looking that young when I was 17. What happened?

God getting old sucks. It's almost mid August & seeing all these kids roaming around all summer makes me yearn for my youth when summer was a magical time of vacations, swimming, ice cream and staying up watching thunder storms with my dad while the A/C kept us cool. Plus camping? We use to roast Stay Puft Marshmallows by the fire at camp Wakanda.

LOL! Yeah in RGB the JR Ghostbusters were only in 2 episodes of the show. They also never used the Proton Packs. They did use the Ghost Traps I one of those episodes. I think the reason people even remember them is because they were in episodes where an iconic villain returned. They were in the episode where the Boogieman returned and they were in the episode where Samhain returned. If they were not involved in those episodes I wonder if they would have made even less impact. ;)

The JR Ghostbusters also appeared in a couple of episodes os Slimer. In one episode called Don’t Tease The Sleaze, they help Slimer recapture a ghost that he accidentally released from the containment unit. That was a bit much but the Slimer show was aimed at a much younger demographic and I am surprised the Q5 experts that dumbed down the show even allowed children near the containment unit. Even RGB didn’t even put the kids in that position. ;)

Now even though there is a younger crop in this scene I think we are getting something better than anything that resembles JR Ghostbusters. There are the details that really are getting me excited. So we are seeing them use the Ecto 1, a Proton Gun, and someone using the Ecto Goggles in the back seat. I can’t wait to see someone use the classic PKE Meter. This scene does have me asking a couple of questions. Where is their Mother?
This Post Contains Spoilers
I am getting the impression that this is an early encounter though. I am also wondering if the kids found a functioning Ghost Traps and Containment Unit in the barn. God knows, but they have peaked my interest and have got my wheels turning. :):):)
By Sav C
Davideverona wrote: August 11th, 2019, 8:55 am Now I hate summer. Sweating, shortness of breath, hot weather.

Maybe I'll change my idea when I'll move to my new house, with a swimming pool, a garden and a barbecue.
Don't forget the smoke from forest fires. It's not bad this year, but last year at this time I could barely see a hundred feet away from me it was so thick.
By philmorgan81
DocLathropBrown wrote: August 11th, 2019, 9:28 am
Oh thanks, sorry I was posting my last comment while you guys were posting yours and wanted to weigh in. I am with both Doc and Spaceballs.

I definitely think that these kids messing with this stuff is something that is going to bring the Original Crew into the movie. Again I don’t know if the Ghosts are arriving through some portals that a bigger threat is causing or if the kids accidentally released some ghosts from a storage facility which in tern attracts a larger threat. Again I am pretty excited for where this is going. :):):)
RedSpecial liked this
By Davideverona
They shoot some scenes in an old abandoned gas implant.

It made me think of Ray using that place for a secondary containment unit and for toying with really homemade ghostbusting equipment, plus doing some maintenance on the original equipment.
By RedSpecial
deadderek liked this
By timeware
This isn't exactly a spoiler but the old new mods are kind of similar to the turtle van from tmnt classic animated series. I would love to see the kids yell out "Turtle Power!" As they are chasing ghosts. Maybe that design was influenced by the idw cross over? There has to be some eighties Easter eggs going forward.
timeware wrote:This isn't exactly a spoiler but the old new mods are kind of similar to the turtle van from tmnt classic animated series. I would love to see the kids yell out "Turtle Power!" As they are chasing ghosts. Maybe that design was influenced by the idw cross over? There has to be some eighties Easter eggs going forward.
. :):):)
philmorgan81 wrote: August 11th, 2019, 2:50 pm
timeware wrote:This isn't exactly a spoiler but the old new mods are kind of similar to the turtle van from tmnt classic animated series. I would love to see the kids yell out "Turtle Power!" As they are chasing ghosts. Maybe that design was influenced by the idw cross over? There has to be some eighties Easter eggs going forward.
If anything it reminds me the Jurassic Park 2: Lost World dinosaur round up scene. Where they have those modded vehicles.

To tell you the truth I've always dreamt of an Ecto 1 chase sequence where they are actively pursuing a ghost and using their proton packs. Only I imagined it happening in the streets of NYC during nighttime and I never thought of a seat that exits the vehicle. I always thought the Ecto 1 had some kind of proton pack ability mounted on the roof and the GBs could operate and aim from the inside via a periscope like contraption.

....and if anyone says "turtle power" I'm walking out of the theatre, tracking down Jason Reitman and demanding a personal refund and apology.
RichardLess wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:13 pm
If anything it reminds me the Jurassic Park 2: Lost World dinosaur round up scene. Where they have those modded vehicles.

To tell you the truth I've always dreamt of an Ecto 1 chase sequence where they are actively pursuing a ghost and using their proton packs. Only I imagined it happening in the streets of NYC during nighttime and I never thought of a seat that exits the vehicle. I always thought the Ecto 1 had some kind of proton pack ability mounted on the roof and the GBs could operate and aim from the inside via a periscope like contraption.

....and if anyone says "turtle power" I'm walking out of the theatre, tracking down Jason Reitman and demanding a personal refund and apology.

Yeah I always dreamt of that too. I always expected that one day they would make the Roof blaster a reality. This is still a fun thing to see. I remember how awesome The Return of The Ghostbusters fan film by Hank Braxton looked when they were using their Ecto Vehicle and Proton Canon to chase an entity. I thought that was pretty impressive. It is really awesome seeing them do this in an official big budget studio film. I wonder what other explosions we have to look forward too. :):):)
LOL! If we see anything like that I will gladly tip my hat to those details. A lot could happen in 31 years. Why not have prototypes from the cartoon that was just as popular. It probably isn’t likely but that would be fun. I am still wondering if we’re going to see the parts of a Slime Blower. ;)

I am already on ecstatic for what I have already seen. Jason Reitman wasn’t kidding this movie really feels like unwrapping a present. :):):)
By mrmichaelt
Davideverona wrote: August 11th, 2019, 10:44 am They shoot some scenes in an old abandoned gas implant.
??? They are right now or they did? I remember the Turner Valley Gas Plant being mentioned around mid-July.
Can't wait to see which fans makes a replica. It would go great at shows. I'm children would love to sit down and have their parents take a photo.
By SpaceBallz
If anyone is hoping to see 70-80 year old men strapping on 40lb proton packs and "getting back in business" I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen. This story is ending their story and starting a new one for Ghostbusters. I'm just glad its continuing what we grew up with and not a damn remake/reboot.
deadderek liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: August 11th, 2019, 10:54 pm If anyone is hoping to see 70-80 year old men strapping on 40lb proton packs and "getting back in business" I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen. This story is ending their story and starting a new one for Ghostbusters. I'm just glad its continuing what we grew up with and not a damn remake/reboot.

Oh it is very unlikely, but you never know. I am sure they won't be running around fully geared, but I don't think it is too far fetched an idea that they strap on some light weight hero packs for one scene of just standing and firing. :):):)
By timeware
Hell, they could get stunt actors in mo cap suits to fill in for scenes that would require the breaking of hips. If they can de age Will Smith effectively they can place an old man's head on another person's body.
SpaceBallz wrote: August 11th, 2019, 10:54 pm If anyone is hoping to see 70-80 year old men strapping on 40lb proton packs and "getting back in business" I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen. This story is ending their story and starting a new one for Ghostbusters. I'm just glad its continuing what we grew up with and not a damn remake/reboot.
And the movie will be poorer for it because quite frankly that a hilarious image.

70-80 year old Ghostbusters? I just mentioned this in the Boxoffice thread but maybe it's worth repeating here.

Since day 1 of when it was announced in the '90s I've thought the passing of the torch is a misguided approach. That's not what the people want to see. They want to see their old favourites doing what they do best. And they could've made an interesting movie out of the GB's refusing to franchise out or hire new recruits. Why? Because they love being heroes. And Venkmen especially loves the attention. And the women and the money. There's an interesting movie in there. 10 years ago when Bill Murray accepted that Scread Award in full GB gear? He looked damn amazing. He did. Crazy that was 10 years ago now. Man they should've made this movie then.

People went to see Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones as an old man. He looked great! He was still Indy. The movie around him just wasn't up to the usual standard. That movie had a great tagline. "Remember When Adventure Had a Name?" Ghostbusters 3 should A) be called "Ghostbusters 3" and B) have a tagline line that. Something like "You Know Who to Call" or "Remember When You Knew who to Call?" Something like that.
RedSpecial, BatDan, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
philmorgan81 wrote: August 12th, 2019, 12:01 am

Oh it is very unlikely, but you never know. I am sure they won't be running around fully geared, but I don't think it is too far fetched an idea that they strap on some light weight hero packs for one scene of just standing and firing. :):):)
That's where the kids are actually for.

They are on pack-carry and diaper duty.
SpaceBallz liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2019, 3:57 am Since day 1 of when it was announced in the '90s I've thought the passing of the torch is a misguided approach.
But that's what the actors want. Thats what the creators want. They dont want Ghostbusters to die with the OGs. I certainly dont want that. Indiana Jones is a solo character, he isn't a business franchise. We're going to see the team come back, but grab your squishy stress ball because we're getting new characters being introduced to carry on the legacy.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
By BatDan
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2019, 3:57 am
And the movie will be poorer for it because quite frankly that a hilarious image.

70-80 year old Ghostbusters? I just mentioned this in the Boxoffice thread but maybe it's worth repeating here.

Since day 1 of when it was announced in the '90s I've thought the passing of the torch is a misguided approach. That's not what the people want to see. They want to see their old favourites doing what they do best. And they could've made an interesting movie out of the GB's refusing to franchise out or hire new recruits. Why? Because they love being heroes. And Venkmen especially loves the attention. And the women and the money. There's an interesting movie in there. 10 years ago when Bill Murray accepted that Scread Award in full GB gear? He looked damn amazing. He did. Crazy that was 10 years ago now. Man they should've made this movie then.

People went to see Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones as an old man. He looked great! He was still Indy. The movie around him just wasn't up to the usual standard. That movie had a great tagline. "Remember When Adventure Had a Name?" Ghostbusters 3 should A) be called "Ghostbusters 3" and B) have a tagline line that. Something like "You Know Who to Call" or "Remember When You Knew who to Call?" Something like that.
Agreed. You're never too old to be funny. I think them being older and more broken down would add to the comedy. Case in point..the hilarious starecase shot: "when we get to 20, tell me"...you could have moments like that..a quartet of aging veteran smokers/drinkers trying to save the world; to me that's hilarious and still keeps true to the original.

I remember seeing Crystal Skull and hearing the audience cheer when he picked up his hat in that opening shot; the theater exploded when Han and Chewie stepped on the falcon for the first time in 35 years. the cheers went on for at least 2 minutes, i can just imagine that same reaction if they have the guys come back.

I love the idea that they never branched out because they're too stubborn; especially Venkman.

I seem to be in the minority here when; GB to me isnt slime, proton packs, and ecto-1s..to me it's those "characters" and the way they interact and approach those situations. the iconography around it is just there to support the story/concept. the same way Batman isnt batmobiles and batarangs, it's about the character.

i'm not expecting it to be full blown "back in business" story..but im also not expecting to be jipped into not see the guys suited up again after waiting so long, it would certainly affect the numbers, because most people want to see a return from the original characters (if they wanna see Finn in a proton pack, they can turn on Stranger Things 2) , i think that's what affected the numbers for ATC, a lot of general audience people went in thinking it was part 3 with a return from the guys training the girls..and that's not exactly what they got. Don't get me wrong.. I'm open to new characters and broadening the universe and having this be the film version of "XGB" of sorts, but i feel the filmmakers are taking a big risk if they aren't having the guys in there for a 'back in the saddle' moment (or in there at all for that matter).
RedSpecial, RichardLess, Sav C and 1 others liked this
I completely agree, BatDan.

Especially where the characters being the focus and main point of interest in these movies are concerned.
I love the gear as much as anyone but it's nothing without the cast to set the tone and utilise it all in service of the movie.

Thats exactly what myself and a large portion of my equally GB obsessed friends are looking for with this movie.
Last edited by RedSpecial on August 12th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpaceBallz wrote: August 12th, 2019, 9:02 am
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2019, 3:57 am Since day 1 of when it was announced in the '90s I've thought the passing of the torch is a misguided approach.
But that's what the actors want. Thats what the creators want. They dont want Ghostbusters to die with the OGs. I certainly dont want that. Indiana Jones is a solo character, he isn't a business franchise. We're going to see the team come back, but grab your squishy stress ball because we're getting new characters being introduced to carry on the legacy.
I didn't explain myself well enough. Of course it's inevitable that a new team comes on. I love Extreme Ghostbusters. But I think a better movie, one audiences would LOVE, is to have the OGB's as the Ghostbusters for the majority of the runtime. You can say something about age and being a hero and not wanting to let go. The end could be something like Avengers 2 where we see the new official Avengers line up. Or it ending with the Ribbon cutting of a brand new franchise in New Jersey...whatever. But audiences would love another big last ride with these characters suited up for most of the movie. Something like The Wild Bunch only a comedy. Remember Ghostbusters has always been about the mundane mixed with the fantastical & I think a GB3 with old Ghostbusters would be a great way to continue that.
RedSpecial, BatDan liked this
By SpaceBallz
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely hoping for a "back in the saddle" moment, but I also don't mind seeing younglings being Ghostbusters fans and messing with the old equipment.
By RedSpecial
I do, the thought of it makes me cringe 😂

But it looks like that's the way it's going so who am I to say otherwise.
I'll be happy enough if there's a good strong story, original style packs and they utilise the original cast properly, instead of just cameo roles.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]