Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By timeware
This Post Contains Spoilers
(Sorry guys, I can't do spoiler tags with my phone.)
Last edited by Kingpin on August 11th, 2019, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added spoiler tags
By Demon Vice Commander
2GunsRacing wrote: August 10th, 2019, 8:01 pm ****Warning***** This link contains a huge spoiler.

Fan caught video of filming

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1AI82ZA7xW/

Possible inspiration?
Last edited by Kingpin on August 11th, 2019, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added spoiler tags
philmorgan81, Sav C, 2GunsRacing and 3 others liked this
By philmorgan81
Sav C wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:05 pm
Hell Yes Demon Vice Commander! The moment they brought up Ecto and Chase that exact Image is what popped into my head! I know I have already made this statement, but I think Jason knows what he is doing. I think I am going to faint AGAIN! ;)

All I can say is OH MY GOD!!!!!!! :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on August 10th, 2019, 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By RichardLess
SpaceBallz wrote: August 10th, 2019, 4:01 pm Was I the only one that didn't think the slime in GB1 was green? It was like a clear yellow.
The slimer slime is green I think. At least it looks green when he goes thru the wall after Ray tries to shoot him. None of the other slime is green.

Slimer's slime is green, right? When he goes thru the wall before the food service cart smacks into it?
By RichardLess
philmorgan81 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:36 pm
Sav C wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:05 pm
You can clearly see the neutrona wand. Cool.

Man oh man I can't tell you how badly I don't want this to be Ghostbusters Jr. But the more and more I think about it the more I think that is exactly the movie we are going to get. I mean, I guess I don't care, just give me a good Ghostbusters movie. It just makes me nervous is all.

Questions: What proton beam effect would you prefer? The BOSS films Richard Edlund version from GB1? Or the Dennis Murren ILM effect from GB2?

I've always preferred the GB2 version overall. That being said, no beam shot looks better than the Marshmellow Man "Roast 'Em" shot(god that's a beautiful shot. Just beautiful) and then the finale crossing the streams shots. But some of the other work just isn't as dynamic as the ILM lasso stream/beam. They look great in the courtroom battle. Just great.

Edit: Also. That reminds me. Have we heard what VFX firm has been awarded the contract yet for GB2020? I assume Sony Imageworks will be part of it. But studios usually use multiple FX houses these days. I wonder which studio got the primary contract. Which VFX company are we hoping for? ILM? Weta? Digital domain?
By philmorgan81
RichardLess wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:50 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 9:36 pm
You can clearly see the neutrona wand. Cool.

Man oh man I can't tell you how badly I don't want this to be Ghostbusters Jr. But the more and more I think about it the more I think that is exactly the movie we are going to get. I mean, I guess I don't care, just give me a good Ghostbusters movie. It just makes me nervous is all.

Questions: What proton beam effect would you prefer? The BOSS films Richard Edlund version from GB1? Or the Dennis Murren ILM effect from GB2?

I've always preferred the GB2 version overall. That being said, no beam shot looks better than the Marshmellow Man "Roast 'Em" shot(god that's a beautiful shot. Just beautiful) and then the finale crossing the streams shots. But some of the other work just isn't as dynamic as the ILM lasso stream/beam. They look great in the courtroom battle. Just great.

Edit: Also. That reminds me. Have we heard what VFX firm has been awarded the contract yet for GB2020? I assume Sony Imageworks will be part of it. But studios usually use multiple FX houses these days. I wonder which studio got the primary contract. Which VFX company are we hoping for? ILM? Weta? Digital domain?
On the bright side Richardless Finn and Grace are both Teenagers. 17 and 13 respectfully so I think that sets at least those 2 on higher standards than the JR Ghostbusters. The JR Ghostbusters were at the most 11 years old just shy of teenagers. Now they both could be playing younger, that is a possibility. Still I really wouldn't worry about this turning into Stranger Things or Goosebumps, I have a strong feeling that this is going to feel like Genuine Ghostbusters. What we are seeing here is just a small sample of this movie. It keeps getting more and more exciting.

As far as proton streams I love the streams from both films I really have no preference I just love proton streams. I just hope to see a lot of them. As far as effects houses I have no clue who has the contracts. I know there are a few because Jason said something about being excited because it was his first movie to have to use effects houses. He did use the plural. ;).

It has been a fun day. :):):)
SpaceBallz liked this
By Davideverona
By mrmichaelt
robbritton liked this
By robbritton
Oh look at that,
it’s almost as though they know what they’re doing out there!
By RedSpecial
By Alphagaia
People seem to stuck on the Ghostbusters junior thing from the cartoon. Different writers and different characters, and meant for a much different audience.
Sav C liked this
By robbritton
RedSpecial wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:34 am
It’s important to remember that to a lot of audiences this will be a clean slate movie, particularly to kids whose parents aren’t Ghostbusters obsessives. Wouldn’t those of us who are old enough to remember have loved the original back in the eighties if it had been a

My feel is that we probably would have, and that kids coming with no previous expectation now may love that now. It’s something new for cinematic GB, anyway, and in a world where so much is rehash it could be as much something to be grateful for as something to be concerned about!
By RedSpecial
That's fair enough but personally, if thst were to happen when in one of these movies when I was a kid I wouldnt like it either [emoji23]
I couldn't stand the RGB episodes featuring it.
It's a trope that I've never been a fan of outside certain movies that are based solely on the premise.

Once again though that's just my opinion.
Over all the care that seems to be being taken with the movie definitely has me interested other than that specific angle.
robbritton liked this
By robbritton
RedSpecial wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:52 am That's fair enough but personally, if thst were to happen when in one of these movies when I was a kid I wouldnt like it either [emoji23]
I couldn't stand the RGB episodes featuring it.
It's a trope that I've never been a fan of outside certain movies that are based solely on the premise.

Once again though that's just my opinion.
Over all the care that seems to be being taken with the movie definitely has me interested other than that specific angle.
:) Trust me, nobody is defending the RGB Junior Ghostbusters here either!
By Davideverona
Above all, we have to take in account that this car chase will be 3-4 minutes of the entire movie, per production crew statement.
Maybe in this scene Ray is unable to take action and the kids try to solve the problem.
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
By Alphagaia
I don't even remember the junior GB. They dubbed the cartoon eventually, but only the first season or something. I remember it becoming Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters, but not for long before as the network stopped airing them here in the Netherlands. Sounds like I didn't miss much.
Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
RedSpecial wrote: August 11th, 2019, 4:24 am
RedSpecial, Alphagaia liked this
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: August 11th, 2019, 3:39 am People seem to stuck on the Ghostbusters junior thing from the cartoon. Different writers and different characters, and meant for a much different audience.
Wait. What? Ghostbusters Jr is an actual thing? From RGB? I had no idea lol. I was just using it as a way to describe what the movie might feel like. Like a Sherlock Holmes Jr or something. I don't remember Ghostbusters Jr at all. The only thing that might ring a bell is the original Grundel episode but...I don't remember kids with proton packs or anything. Interesting.

Someone mentioned above that Finn Wolfhard is 17. 17!?! That's..wow. He looks much younger. Then again, since hitting my mid to late 20's I'm finding it insanely hard to judge younger tweens and teenagers' age. They all look 13 to me. It's like..I don't remember everyone looking that young when I was 17. What happened?

God getting old sucks. It's almost mid August & seeing all these kids roaming around all summer makes me yearn for my youth when summer was a magical time of vacations, swimming, ice cream and staying up watching thunder storms with my dad while the A/C kept us cool. Plus camping? We use to roast Stay Puft Marshmallows by the fire at camp Wakanda.
modern homie liked this
By RichardLess
Davideverona wrote: August 11th, 2019, 8:55 am Now I hate summer. Sweating, shortness of breath, hot weather.

Maybe I'll change my idea when I'll move to my new house, with a swimming pool, a garden and a barbecue.
Shortness of breath? I'd say instead of a new house you might need to see a doctor.

I will say though, thank god for central A/C. Nothing beats going from sweltering heat to a 65 degree heaven. It's one of the best feelings. It's up there with having to go pee really bad and you've been holding it forever, then that sweet eye watering relief when you finally make it to a washroom. Aaawwweeee yeah. Or a nice ice cold drink when you're parched & sooo thirsty? Mm mm.
By DocLathropBrown
SpaceBallz, Alphagaia, philmorgan81 and 1 others liked this
By SpaceBallz
I'm with Doc.
Alphagaia, philmorgan81, 2GunsRacing and 2 others liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]