By Psycho Werekitsune
Hey all, as I'm putting together my first costume, purchasing various items from all over the place, one of the major issues I seem to have with is the boots. While the screen accurate Corcoran 995s are no longer in production, it seems there is a variety of alternatives one would pick out. Unfortunately, it's hard to discern what the best one is; the Paranormal Boots seem to be the ideal choice, but they're definitely out of my price range (especially factoring in shipping costs and such). I'm looking for something that won't break the bank but are comfortable and look *enough* like the movie ones to be decent replacements. If it helps, I'm based in the UK, so if there are any local retailers or web pages that may offer said alternatives, I'd be really grateful for any information anyone could provide!

My second question is regarding wearing the flight suit; the reason behind my putting this together now is that I plan on attending a convention wearing the full costume (MCM London Comic Con to be more specific). My question is, should I wear normal clothes underneath the flight suit, or just underwear? Is the fabric breathable or will it get too hot and stuffy to manage? I ordered the one here from GBFans (still en route), so I'm not sure if there's a difference in how well the fabric is for different flightsuits.

Lastly, I'm looking at elbow pads and, while the ones here on GBFans seem alright, from what I've seen and read, they're not very comfortable? I think some people mentioned they were too tight/restrictive. I've seen some good ones on Etsy that actually look a bit more screen accurate at a slightly higher cost, but was wondering if people could tell me more about the GBFans ones so I can properly decide on what to get.

I think that's everything for now. Again, any help anyone could provide would be great!
By Kingpin
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

In a pinch, standard ex-army boots tend to fit the general look of the correct boots... With the one big exception being most of them don't have a side zip (and plenty of fans happy wear boots without the side zip).

An alternative to the Corcorans are Carolinas, which produced army-style jump boots with and without the side zips (the latter do have a non-screen accurate flap that covers the top of the zip on some models, but others don't have this feature: LINK.

If the stuff on eBay is too expensive for your budget (and some of it really is quite pricey, you might be able to source boots from an ex-army store or stall if there's one operated near you. :)

If there's nothing local to where you live, there will undoubtedly be places in London that would be selling ex-army surplus boots that should hopefully look close to the part.

This may seem a random question, but what boot size would you be looking for?
Psycho Werekitsune liked this
By Psycho Werekitsune
I'm a EUR size 46 shoe size (though sometimes 45 and 45.5 fits me well enough depending on the brand). Not sure if boots have different sizes since the only boots I've ever worn were Caterpillars.
By Joeyvenkman
I'd also recommend finding used jump boots. Even without the side zips I think those uniformly shiny military boots have a great look. I had a pair of Bates from amazon which looked & felt great, but eventually I found some used Carolinas that looked way more accurate & were cheaper. Prices on used boots can be all over the place but if you keep an eye out you should be able to find a good deal.

For flight suits, I usually wear regular summer clothes underneath. I have a nomex suit from ebay which looks great but isn't very breathable haha.

And I really like the GBFans elbow pads! They seem to fit fine. I have pretty average arms.
By Psycho Werekitsune
Joeyvenkman wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:48 am For flight suits, I usually wear regular summer clothes underneath. I have a nomex suit from ebay which looks great but isn't very breathable haha.
My regular summer clothes are a t-shirt and jeans...actually those are my all year 'round clothes. I just add a hoodie and maybe thermals in the winter. Wondering how easy it'll be to move around with a pair of jeans underneath the flight suit...
By Joeyvenkman
I'm sure you'll figure out what's comfortable once you get the suit. I usually wear shorts underneath to keep things light but wearing a full layer under the suit should work just fine & is especially nice in winter.
By tobycj
If I'm at an indoor event I just wear boxers and a t-shirt underneath my uniform.

You could look for Rocky or Bates brand paratrooper boots too, both do a side zip version, although not sure what prices are like for us in the UK. If you can definitely get a side zip boot, they're SO much easier to get on and off.
By alphabeta001
I found some military style side zip boots from EMP in 2021 that work for me. Reasonably priced and look the part. Hopefully they have something similar still.

I have found Playwell Martial Arts sell grey pads. Look for Deluxe Padded MMA Knee Pads. These were £19 plus postage and the large size fits my brother well and my niece is comfortable in them as well. The fabric is longer than desired but can be folded over or cut to size.

Under my Tru-Spec I wear knee length shorts and a t-shirt. This is enough for me year round, but then I am stocky..
By Psycho Werekitsune
tobycj wrote: February 13th, 2024, 6:14 am If I'm at an indoor event I just wear boxers and a t-shirt underneath my uniform.

You could look for Rocky or Bates brand paratrooper boots too, both do a side zip version, although not sure what prices are like for us in the UK. If you can definitely get a side zip boot, they're SO much easier to get on and off.
Found these Rocky ones when I first started looking:

https://www.rockyboots.com/public-servi ... I&size=120

Here they are on a local website:

https://gb-empiretacticalgear.glopalsto ... tary-duty/

Are those the standard prices for boots like that?
By tobycj
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: February 13th, 2024, 1:17 pm
tobycj wrote: February 13th, 2024, 6:14 am If I'm at an indoor event I just wear boxers and a t-shirt underneath my uniform.

Found these Rocky ones when I first started looking:

https://www.rockyboots.com/public-servi ... I&size=120

Here they are on a local website:

https://gb-empiretacticalgear.glopalsto ... tary-duty/

Are those the standard prices for boots like that?
Yep. I paid £170 total for my Corcoran 995s a couple of years ago. Busting ain't cheap unfortunately!
By hawkbatsquadron
Standard Issue Panama Jungle Boots for me. For $30.00 they're comfortable and lightweight and from a distance look fine.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit
By Psycho Werekitsune
hawkbatsquadron wrote: February 13th, 2024, 10:02 pm Standard Issue Panama Jungle Boots for me. For $30.00 they're comfortable and lightweight and from a distance look fine.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit
Those do look pretty rad! I found some Mil-Tecs and Magnums that have side zippers that also look pretty neat and cost half as much as the other ones I linked. I've got some time to mull over how badly I want screen accuracy, but I may just go for something a bit more convenient.
By Joeyvenkman
It doesn't hurt to have more than one pair! I kept my bates for yardwork/rainy days so I can keep my Carolinas nice for the costume.

Also, random tip: if you end up finding used boots that feel just a bit too tight even after breaking them in a bit, you can bring them up half a size by putting bags of water in them & leaving them in the freezer overnight. My boots made my feet go numb before I did that haha.

https://www.wikihow.com/Stretch-Your-Shoes-With-Ice
By Psycho Werekitsune
Joeyvenkman wrote: February 14th, 2024, 12:11 pm It doesn't hurt to have more than one pair! I kept my bates for yardwork/rainy days so I can keep my Carolinas nice for the costume.

Also, random tip: if you end up finding used boots that feel just a bit too tight even after breaking them in a bit, you can bring them up half a size by putting bags of water in them & leaving them in the freezer overnight. My boots made my feet go numb before I did that haha.

https://www.wikihow.com/Stretch-Your-Shoes-With-Ice
That's fascinating, I didn't know you could do that!

Another thing came to mind; so I'm hoping to, at some point, snag me a Hasbro Proton Pack (praying they release an '84 version to go with the new wand, otherwise I might have to pay the extortionist prices on eBay for the Afterlife one), and I was wondering if it came with an ALICE frame built into it or if I'd have to buy my own? I'm sure plenty of you around here own one, so I'm hoping someone can provide feedback. :D
By Kingpin
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: February 16th, 2024, 1:19 pmand I was wondering if it came with an ALICE frame built into it or if I'd have to buy my own?
The stock HasLab Pack does not include an A.L.I.C.E. frame, but it does contain the hardware to mount one if you happened to own one. The standard configuration for the shoulder straps has them feed through slots built into the Pack's motherboard.
By Joeyvenkman
I wonder if they'll end up releasing an 84 pack. I definitely don't think the ebay prices for the Spengler pack are worth it lol. The full sized spirit pack is a pretty darn good alternative & 3D printing the q-pack is another way to go if you want something more accurate & have time for assembly/priming/sanding/painting/etc.
By Psycho Werekitsune
A lot of naysayers made it clear that the Afterlife pack had everything in it to be converted to an 84 pack, but I believe the fact that they specifically released an 84 wand that a pack is in the pipeline. I also believe they'll probably be doing Frozen Empire stuff at the same time. There's a Marvel Legends Pulse stream on the 20th and, considering the 84 wand was shown off during a GI Joe stream last time, I'm really, really, really hoping the 84 pack is announced then and there (and made available to order immediately as well).
gamera1968 liked this
By gamera1968
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: February 17th, 2024, 2:23 pm A lot of naysayers made it clear that the Afterlife pack had everything in it to be converted to an 84 pack, but I believe the fact that they specifically released an 84 wand that a pack is in the pipeline. I also believe they'll probably be doing Frozen Empire stuff at the same time. There's a Marvel Legends Pulse stream on the 20th and, considering the 84 wand was shown off during a GI Joe stream last time, I'm really, really, really hoping the 84 pack is announced then and there (and made available to order immediately as well).
I converted my HasLab Afterlife pack into an 80's version and it was well worth it. The only thing I couldn't find was a GB 1 Spectra ribbon cable, but I did find a GB 2 / Afterlife Spectra ribbon cable on ebay for $8. I also recently found the same P-clamp as used in GB 1. First link in my signature with pics!
By tobycj
gamera1968 wrote: February 19th, 2024, 5:55 pm
Psycho Werekitsune wrote: February 17th, 2024, 2:23 pm A lot of naysayers made it clear that the Afterlife pack had everything in it to be converted to an 84 pack, but I believe the fact that they specifically released an 84 wand that a pack is in the pipeline. I also believe they'll probably be doing Frozen Empire stuff at the same time. There's a Marvel Legends Pulse stream on the 20th and, considering the 84 wand was shown off during a GI Joe stream last time, I'm really, really, really hoping the 84 pack is announced then and there (and made available to order immediately as well).
I converted my HasLab Afterlife pack into an 80's version and it was well worth it. The only thing I couldn't find was a GB 1 Spectra ribbon cable, but I did find a GB 2 / Afterlife Spectra ribbon cable on ebay for $8. I also recently found the same P-clamp as used in GB 1. First link in my signature with pics!
There are at least five GB1 ribbon cable sellers I can think of, C&A Prop Design (facebook), Fincher Technologies (facebook), Wire Fauna (etsy), TGB Cablery (etsy), Epic Props (website - UK based), there's a German guy on facebook who's name escapes me too.
By Psycho Werekitsune
Oh hey, another thought came to mind; anyone got any tips on how to carry personal belongings (mainly wallet, keys, and phone)? I realise the flight suit has pockets, but I'm wondering if my stuff'll just bulge out and flop around while I move, or if it'll be secure enough. If it's the former, any recommendations for a belt pouch that'd look like it was part of the outfit?
By Psycho Werekitsune
Might just grab me a belt pouch that's big enough to house everything then, hahaha. I'll see how well the pockets hold up when walking around in the suit, but I feel like they'll get in the way.
By Psycho Werekitsune
Just wanted to showcase these rad pieces I scored off Etsy that'll definitely add plenty of flair to the final costume. These were purchased from Ksgkreations:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Ksgkreatio ... _purchases

The belt gizmo takes two AA batteries in the little box and flips on to light up! The two slime vials (one ectoplasm and one mood slime) were really neat and figured they'd look nice on the belt. :D
Joeyvenkman, gamera1968 liked this
By Psycho Werekitsune
Hey all, the rest of my suit bits came in, got a few more questions for you guys.

For the chemical gloves, there's some warning stuff printed on the gloves themselves and I recall reading somewhere that it can be removed with an alcohol wipe? Is this legit? It won't damage the gloves, right? Also, they come with a little pair of cloth gloves to wear inside of them, would you guys recommend wearing these or just skipping out on them?

For the belt, I've tried figuring out how to put it on and I think I've got it; the square clasp goes over the square peg, correct? Was just wondering what that other hook was for. I think it's to do with its adjustability for size, but can't quite figure it out.

Finally, for the flightsuit itself, I got some custom patches from an eBay seller that I was planning on getting sewn onto the suit. There's a velcro patch that sits above the left breast where my name would go, how would you recommend dealing with it? It looks like it's positioned too far outward, so trying to velcro my patch on probably wouldn't work and I don't know if it'd be possible to sew over it?
By Psycho Werekitsune
Oooh, an addendum, what kind of thread would you guys recommend for sewing on the patches and leg connector? What colours should I use as well, to help them blend in better? I've got a friend who sews, so I'd be handing them over to her to work on, and as such, I'd love to give her as much info as possible so everything comes up Millhouse.

These look fantastic. I'd like to get them all

I know you didn’t ask me, but here&rsquo[…]

The Video Game Lifegard

I made one a few years ago using a Lifegard IV and[…]

On one screw when I was drilling out the plug I we[…]