This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By One time
Has anyone ever identified the make up of the Be Not Afraid sign on the mayors desk?

It looks some sort of plastic, has anyone ever made a run of these available?

Or perhaps they were sold in greater numbers in the early 80’s.

I think it would potentially be a well selling item as a sign like that transcends the movie.
darthbuster liked this
I always thought the white letters were 3D and stood out from the black background.

I’ll try to get the sharpest screenshot I can from the 4K release and not a screen picture using a phone.

If anyone else wants to attempt a clear 4K screenshot, be my guest.

Anyone care to wager a guess on the dimensions and font?
The Mayor's Office scene was shot in the actual New York city hall, though not in Ed Koch's real office, but in a twin to it used by City Council President Carol Bellamy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Bellamy

https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/New_York_City_Hall

One interesting detail that I found, considering the presence of the Archbishop in the movie scene, is that the quote 'Be Not Afraid' is possibly a reference to Pope John Paul II's first speech when elected to the papacy in October of 1978.

My gut instinct is that it's not a prop manufactured for the film, but was simply a 'had it for five years now' possession of Bellamy's already on the desk when they came in to film for two days.

But I have no evidence to support this theory, and haven't found any matching hits looking for a vintage desk sign with that slogan.

Kingpin wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 7:38 am It almost looks like a quick and dirty printed cardboard standee.

It's glossy and reflective when you see it in a moving video clip, though. Watch whenever the mayor passes in front of it.

Possibly made from acrylic?

Alex
One time liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 9:41 pm The Mayor's Office scene was shot in the actual New York city hall, though not in Ed Koch's real office, but in a twin to it used by City Council President Carol Bellamy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Bellamy

https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/New_York_City_Hall

One interesting detail that I found, considering the presence of the Archbishop in the movie scene, is that the quote 'Be Not Afraid' is possibly a reference to Pope John Paul II's first speech when elected to the papacy in October of 1978.

My gut instinct is that it's not a prop manufactured for the film, but was simply a 'had it for five years now' possession of Bellamy's already on the desk when they came in to film for two days.

But I have no evidence to support this theory, and haven't found any matching hits looking for a vintage desk sign with that slogan.

Kingpin wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 7:38 am It almost looks like a quick and dirty printed cardboard standee.

It's glossy and reflective when you see it in a moving video clip, though. Watch whenever the mayor passes in front of it.

Possibly made from acrylic?

Alex
Awesome detail. Thanks!

I guess it is acrylic.

How would we go about making a run of these?

Any idea on the dimensions or font? I'd pay sweet money to get one of these on my desk!
Alex Newborn liked this
One time wrote: August 9th, 2020, 9:50 pmAny idea on the dimensions or font? I'd pay sweet money to get one of these on my desk!
The lettering is sans-serif, similar to Helvetica (the Subway font), but the middle crossbar on the F looks to be a tad narrower on the sign... Though it could be an optical illusion.

Kingpin wrote: August 10th, 2020, 1:51 am
One time wrote: August 9th, 2020, 9:50 pmAny idea on the dimensions or font? I'd pay sweet money to get one of these on my desk!
The lettering is sans-serif, similar to Helvetica (the Subway font), but the middle crossbar on the F looks to be a tad narrower on the sign... Though it could be an optical illusion.

You are awesome,... thanks!
By One time
I've been digging into this and trying to get the font and kerning correct. The font appears to be Helvetica World Bold (or something very close to it).

The kerning in the image posted above was 20. I tried to do a perspective correction on the 4K release and it looks like the kerning is -50 (letters are closer together) but the three words have 1.5 spaces between them (so 1.5 spaces between each word).

I created a JPG you can print out in gloss and apply to any kind of plastic backing. The size is 12 inches wide (looks approximately correct) and the top and bottom margins appear to be 1 letter height, or very slightly under.

This is the best I can do but I can't guarantee it is correct.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]