Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
This "RC Trap" might be the first Official one of its kind but the idea of a radio control trap isn't new.
In the fan film Return of the Ghostbusters they use a trap on a RC wheels/base that ejects the trap under the ghost. It's very similar looking except the wheels are much smaller.

Honestly I don't like it when they try to make the trap easier. I always loved the trapping concept of having to rolling out the trap (or sometimes throwing it in RGB) under the ghost and stomping on the pedal. I've never been a fan of "wireless traps" or "Remote Control Traps". Again that's just my personal opinion and I understand the need to upgrade.
Coover5, deadderek, philmorgan81 and 2 others liked this
groschopf wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:12 am
Davideverona wrote: April 5th, 2020, 2:30 am I saw some pics of the controlled trap, it didn't have wheels so big.

Looked like a video game trap, without wires.
This image?

Cool. Looks as if there will be a Texas Switch style stunt in the movie with the two cars. Makes sense given that they had kids driving.
greg wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:58 amWell the thing is that the trailer makes me think more about a crossover : Ghostbusters/the Goonies than a « pure » ghostbusters movie.
It's as pure a Ghostbusters movie as we're gonna get these days, pending whether it's successful enough to spawn 'Ghostbusters 4'.

And considering how unhappy some fans and viewers were that Ghostbusters II retreaded a lot of the story points of its predecessor, it's good to have something a bit different/ :)
greg wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:58 amBtw. Since you are a moderator: is it normal that i can’t send any pms? Has this functionnality been disabled on the forum? Just wondering.
You should be able to send them now. Private Messages are unavailable until a user has made their first post on the forum.
RichardLess wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:36 am Cool. Looks as if there will be a Texas Switch style stunt in the movie with the two cars. Makes sense given that they had kids driving.
Not just that, but as noted previously, one of the cars has a removable roof rack to allow for a roof-mounted driver, and I think as noted previously, having the second car allows them to reuse a strategy from the filming of Answer the Call: recording twice the amount of footage of Ecto-1 rolling around town in the same block of location shooting.
I think the giant RC car wheels makes sense! This isn't NYC, there won't be finished floors or side walks everywhere and it isn't the comics or cartoon where the traps are nigh indestructible and can be chucked out 25 feet. Wheels like this are great for grass, rocks, hell, even a THICK carpet! Tell me you could kick out your old kenner trap in your parents' living room and not have it come to a complete stop a foot in front of you or fall over from the force, and I'll call you liar!
mrmichaelt liked this
One thing to consider is that this Trap might be a modded trap used for a type of ghost or event.
We know the old Trap and pedal exists with minor changes but what if this Modded trap with RC wheels had been made specifically for catching ghost using the gunners seat and has been a prior piece of equipment?

The gunners seat is obviously for ghost on the run but what happens when you caught a ghost in the stream?
maybe ECTO-1 slows down to a halt and the Trap rolls out being controlled inside the car so nobody has to get out on foot.
Glenn Frederick wrote:One thing to consider is that this Trap might be a modded trap used for a type of ghost or event.
We know the old Trap and pedal exists with minor changes but what if this Modded trap with RC wheels had been made specifically for catching ghost using the gunners seat and has been a prior piece of equipment?

The gunners seat is obviously for ghost on the run but what happens when you caught a ghost in the stream?
maybe ECTO-1 slows down to a halt and the Trap rolls out being controlled inside the car so nobody has to get out on foot.
I was thinking a similar thing. What if they installed the gunner seat and the modified the Ghost Trap so they didn’t have to run around the streets as much. :):):)
Glenn Frederick wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:29 am This "RC Trap" might be the first Official one of its kind but the idea of a radio control trap isn't new.
In the fan film Return of the Ghostbusters they use a trap on a RC wheels/base that ejects the trap under the ghost. It's very similar looking except the wheels are much smaller.

Honestly I don't like it when they try to make the trap easier. I always loved the trapping concept of having to rolling out the trap (or sometimes throwing it in RGB) under the ghost and stomping on the pedal. I've never been a fan of "wireless traps" or "Remote Control Traps". Again that's just my personal opinion and I understand the need to upgrade.
Yeah I hate to take pot shots at ATC, but that was one thing I didn’t understand. Holtzman already had a remote controlled device on her arm for their trap, but instead of just opening the trap it shoots out the trap pedal. What was the point. Anyway the redesign in this film makes a bit more sense to me. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on April 5th, 2020, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Combined posts
Glenn Frederick liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Glenn Frederick wrote: April 5th, 2020, 9:29 am This "RC Trap" might be the first Official one of its kind but the idea of a radio control trap isn't new.

Sorry for 2 separate posts my device wouldn’t allow me to edit the previous one. Yeah I hate to take pot shots at ATC, but that was one thing I didn’t understand. Holtzman already had a remote controlled device on her arm for their trap, but instead of just opening the trap it shoots out the trap pedal. What was the point. Anyway the redesign in this film makes a bit more sense to me. :):):)
Well, it looks cool, and knowing Holtzmann that's 85% of why she designs stuff a certain way, but from a practical point it allows the trap to be actually thrown without the wire getting tangled up. The footpedal main function seems that you still got both hand on the wand while wrangling the ghost.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 12:18 pm Yeah I hate to take pot shots at ATC, but that was one thing I didn’t understand. Holtzman already had a remote controlled device on her arm for their trap, but instead of just opening the trap it shoots out the trap pedal. What was the point. Anyway the redesign in this film makes a bit more sense to me. :):):)
Holtzmann is a genius, but she doesn't think on the same logic path as the rest of us.
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:27 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 12:18 pm Yeah I hate to take pot shots at ATC, but that was one thing I didn’t understand. Holtzman already had a remote controlled device on her arm for their trap, but instead of just opening the trap it shoots out the trap pedal. What was the point. Anyway the redesign in this film makes a bit more sense to me. :):):)
Holtzmann is a genius, but she doesn't think on the same logic path as the rest of us.
I’ve always wondered, when you rewatch the reboot, do you prefer the extended cut or theatrical? Did you like what they did with the 3D effect for the blu ray where the streams and ghosts go outside the widescreen frame?
Just curious what fans of the reboot prefer.
I generally preferred the theatrical cut, while some of the jokes ran over-long, they weren't quite as overly-long as in the extended cut... Especially the definitely bad ones (plus I preferred the "Anti-Irish security fence" over the grandfather clock from the Titanic, partly because the Titanic didn't have grandfather clocks)

I liked the extra story details that were cut out of the theatrical cut, and the extra bit of info about the barrier from the school presentation.

I liked the scene with Dr. Filmore in the bar, but not on campus (although it did add some extra dimension to why Erin was at home).

I liked the added scene with Rowan and the hotel guest, but not the "they're mostly dudes" bit. And I liked the darker "pestered" sequence.

I liked the added scene with the blogger, but not the extra stuff with the agents (with the exception of the dance number, that was actually a lot better than I was expecting) or with Steve Higgins' Dean.

The 3D effect was a bit jarring to be honest, and wish they'd not had it in the DVD release.
Alphagaia liked this
Hmm, I recall preferring the theatrical cut. I thought that it benefited from the concision, as some of the additional material bordered on being comedic filler. Also, since I had seen the extended cut first, I benefited from already knowing the story.

I never watched it in 3D, and therefore having the effects cross into the black bars didn't really do anything for me, I guess. I didn't mind it, but I think it made it harder to suspend disbelief, since it was a fairly blatant reminder that I was watching CGI. (That could also be due to the fact that it was one of the few times that I've seen that technique employed).

Jeez, it's going on four years since I watched the reboot last.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:45 pm If not an extended cut, I would go for a canon tie-in book like a journal kept by Egon in the interim years detailing what have you like equipment ideas, sketches, minor cases he looked into, research on Summerville.
If IDW survives this crisis that would be a great idea for a mini series. I heavly suspect idw will make afterlife an alternate universe\timeline.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:45 pm If not an extended cut, I would go for a canon tie-in book like a journal kept by Egon in the interim years detailing what have you like equipment ideas, sketches, minor cases he looked into, research on Summerville.
Hell, turn it into a short TV series, each episode focussing on catching certain (new) types of paranormal threats while they tinker to get the new equipment right.
Alphagaia wrote: April 6th, 2020, 12:39 am Hell, turn it into a short TV series, each episode focussing on catching certain (new) types of paranormal threats while they tinker to get the new equipment right.
Yes, that could be cool but I doubt a micro live action series is feasible in the budget. I was simply spit balling. Since ATC had the GFOP book, it was sensible to make that a book tie-in. And since Egon's legacy seems to be a big part here, something like a journal could be a neat way to bridge the "time skip" and reach out to the publishing partners Sony has.
Alphagaia liked this
I remember fox letting a few small time directors make a few 10-20 minutes shorts in the alien universe. They weren't all great, but maybe something along those lines would be fun.

Animation solves a lot of budget problems as well, though. Heck I wouldn't even mind if the kids themselves become the test subjects for the new equipment. That has Spenglers DNA all over it. In a non gross way.
mrmichaelt liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 6th, 2020, 12:39 am
Hell, turn it into a short TV series, each episode focussing on catching certain (new) types of paranormal threats while they tinker to get the new equipment right.
I've been a big believer in this. With shows like Stranger Things, Doctor Who, Star Trek (x2), Supergirl, The Orville, and Mandalorian all happening right now being special effects heavy I'm sure it could be done. Shows like The X-Files, Friday the 13th (aka Friday's Curse), Fringe and to a lesser extent Eureka all felt like they could have been Ghostbusters shows.
mrmichaelt liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 6th, 2020, 2:44 am I remember fox letting a few small time directors make a few 10-20 minutes shorts in the alien universe. They weren't all great, but maybe something along those lines would be fun.

Animation solves a lot of budget problems as well, though. Heck I wouldn't even mind if the kids themselves become the test subjects for the new equipment. That has Spenglers DNA all over it. In a non gross way.
Totally, I agree a live action series, mini-series, shorts, what have you is long over due and special effects/cost of has caught up so it should be feasible. I hope they've exploring the notion at least these last couple years and if not, definitely something they should look into after Afterlife is done. Like RGB did with keeping Ghostbusters in the public profile between movies, another show live or animated would do the same function and help keep the machine going.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: April 6th, 2020, 7:20 am
Alphagaia wrote: April 6th, 2020, 2:44 am I remember fox letting a few small time directors make a few 10-20 minutes shorts in the alien universe. They weren't all great, but maybe something along those lines would be fun.

Totally, I agree a live action series, mini-series, shorts, what have you is long over due and special effects/cost of has caught up so it should be feasible. I hope they've exploring the notion at least these last couple years and if not, definitely something they should look into after Afterlife is done. Like RGB did with keeping Ghostbusters in the public profile between movies, another show live or animated would do the same function and help keep the machine going.
I always use to BADLY want a weekly series featuring the original cast. Just imagine how awesome that could be??

Part of the reason the reboot didn’t work for me is because I’m not a fan of Ghostbusters due to the concept of “Ghostbusting”(which is cool. But not unique). I’m a fan of ghostbusters because I LOVE those original characters. Especially Egon & Ray & Winston. My favourite scenes are never the big budget busting ghost scenes. They are just the guys investigating and working and hanging out. Eating Chinese food. One of my favourite scenes is in GB2 of the guys just hanging out in Rays Occult shop. Or when Ray and Egon are examining the Vigo pictures. So a TV show of THAT?? Oh man. But we won’t ever get that show. So new characters would be needed.

Characters are always the big thing for me in film and TV. If you have great characters you can make almost any premise work. With Ghostbusters, especially with what people can do today with CGI, it’s so tempting to make a big CGI showdown Ghostbusting fest, because you can accomplish anything. That’s why I LOVED Jason as a choice for writer director. I know he will do the character work.

If Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson were up for it, I’d love something like Extreme Ghostbusters adapted for TV(again, I love those EGB characters).

Heck, I’d love a new Ghostbusters cartoon with the old cast of characters back in the saddle. Only maybe have it a bit more like Rick & Morty. Less for kids and more made for prime time.

Sometimes, when I really sit and think about it, I get really mad at Bill Murray. How many years were wasted from that stupid feud. Harold was over it and wanted to work with Bill again. But Bill only starts going back to the role of Venkman in live action once Harold is no longer with us. It just...it’s so conflicting. Because I love Bill and what he can do. And he’s free to choose to do what he wants. Yet it’s hard not to look at the optics and think the only reason we never got a film earlier is because of that one sided feud.
RichardLess wrote: April 6th, 2020, 11:44 amIt just...it’s so conflicting. Because I love Bill and what he can do.
After all these years, I'm inclined to say he doesn't deserve your love. He's given us some great stuff, but he can be quite an unreliable diva at times.
deadderek liked this
Maybe the scripts of the hired authors were just shitty compared to what Aykroyd and Ramis wrote with the first one and what Jason has done this time.
I'm okay with Bill being picky. I don't need Ghostbusters 7 with five movies of the series being bad. Or even just good. The original is still around because it's a masterpiece.
Sav C, deadderek, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
Timo wrote: April 6th, 2020, 6:05 pm Maybe the scripts of the hired authors were just shitty compared to what Aykroyd and Ramis wrote with the first one and what Jason has done this time.
I'm okay with Bill being picky. I don't need Ghostbusters 7 with five movies of the series being bad. Or even just good. The original is still around because it's a masterpiece.
Neh, it's not just a shitty script what made Bill against a sequel. The feud made certain Bill didn't want to work with Ramis, and he did not like the changes made to GBII (which the guys didn't want to do either, but money).

Bill did GB84 to get to make his own movie, which failed while GB was a hit.
GBII must have felt like a commercial to him, with to many script changes after he reluctantly signed on, and with everyone so keen on merchandise percentages it felt less like art and more like a paycheck to him.

Add all this together, and I can understand why he was a bit down on the franchise for the longest time. He never thought it needed to be more than the original.

I disagree with him, but I can understand his point of view.
Sav C liked this
I don't know, of corse the feud could be one reason for him not to do it but he also stated several times how he likes the original one and I can see the difference between scripts by hired authors and a guy like Jason, who has a personal bound to the stuff, who knows to write characters and who has fresh aspects in mind conpared to the generic "just introduce a new generation and do the same story again, but not that good". Also, Jason's writing partner Gil Kenan was Murray's director in City of Ember.
I guess it's much more attractive.

I would love to get a chance to read one of the Eisenberg / Stupnitsky-Scripts, but I don't like what I heard so far
Timo wrote: April 6th, 2020, 6:05 pm Maybe the scripts of the hired authors were just shitty compared to what Aykroyd and Ramis wrote with the first one and what Jason has done this time.
Right. Except he did *two* Garfield movies, Osmosis Jones, Space Jam, Operation Dumbo Drop, Charlie’s Angels and a few other terrible movies in the span of time GB3 has been kicked around in its various forms. It wasn’t about him being picky.

Your telling me Wes Andersen gets an automatic “Yes” from Bill, but the guys who helped build his career, Harold, Dan and Ivan, get strung along for decades?? Something is wrong there.

You gotta feel bad for Dan in all this. Ghostbusters is his baby. He’s carried the flame for decades, keeping interest alive. There’s an interview he did, I think with Howard Stern, where you could tell Dan was a bit hurt by Bill’s reticence.
RichardLess wrote: April 7th, 2020, 6:23 am Your telling me Wes Andersen gets an automatic “Yes” from Bill, but the guys who helped build his career, Harold, Dan and Ivan, get strung along for decades?? Something is wrong there.
Devil's advocate... Wes Anderson doesn't make sequels.

Not that I'm big We Anderson fan. I don't find stories about privileged but weirdly sad and always quirky people very interesting. But he hasn't made Rushmore II. He tells a new(ish) story with new(ish) characters and new(ish) settings every time.

Maybe that's why Afterlife felt more attractive.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]