Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Yeah ZedR I was wondering if that top photo is from the second film I was trying to match it to the still of them in front of the museum where the proton streams were going straight up. I also feel like I see a bit of a terror dog in the glowing flames.
Sav C liked this
By petesapie
I know it's been speculated but i feel like this really is going to ignore all the events of GB2 unfortunately . Reitman even previously stated " However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film.” Makes more sense why its the original ecto 1. I'm not buying that the ghostbusters had two 59 cadillacs or that the 1a was transformed back into the ecto 1. just my 2 cents.
By pizzarat
petesapie wrote: December 9th, 2019, 7:41 pm I know it's been speculated but i feel like this really is going to ignore all the events of GB2 unfortunately . Reitman even previously stated " However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film.” Makes more sense why its the original ecto 1. I'm not buying that the ghostbusters had two 59 cadillacs or that the 1a was transformed back into the ecto 1. just my 2 cents.
Aykroyd said that it "feeds beautifully" into the first two movies.
Adub794, mrmichaelt, Sav C and 4 others liked this
By deadderek
WHY the hell do you people keep spouting off with "der he's ignoring GB2?!?!?!"

Did I miss something? Holy shit so nothing from GB2 was directly referenced in the first trailer....OMG OH NOES IT MEANS IT ISN'T CANON ANYMORE!

I don't get it.
Adub794, mrmichaelt, groschopf and 4 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
Not knowing squat about editing, is Peter's "Call it karma" bit edited from the movie or did they pull a longer version from an alternate take, perhaps found in the salt mine? I think I have to watch GB1 again but I think he said it faster than in this trailer.
Sav C liked this
By pizzarat
petesapie wrote: December 9th, 2019, 7:41 pm I know it's been speculated but i feel like this really is going to ignore all the events of GB2 unfortunately . Reitman even previously stated " However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film.” Makes more sense why its the original ecto 1. I'm not buying that the ghostbusters had two 59 cadillacs or that the 1a was transformed back into the ecto 1. just my 2 cents.
That statement by Reitman sounds different than what it means. Think about the trajectory of the original film and how it led to the animated series, a sequel, and all the other ancillary works. That's what he means.
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2019, 7:58 pm Not knowing squat about editing, is Peter's "Call it karma" bit edited from the movie or did they pull a longer version from an alternate take, perhaps found in the salt mine? I think I have to watch GB1 again but I think he said it faster than in this trailer.
It's clearly from the take seen in the final cut of GB1, although they tinkered with it for timing and score.
Sav C, Adub794, mrmichaelt liked this
By Sav C
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2019, 7:58 pm Not knowing squat about editing, is Peter's "Call it karma" bit edited from the movie or did they pull a longer version from an alternate take, perhaps found in the salt mine? I think I have to watch GB1 again but I think he said it faster than in this trailer.
I think they definitely spliced it so that the pauses in-between phrases were more drawn to fit better with the pacing of the trailer.
mrmichaelt liked this
By deadderek
Oh nevermind the video was a sham.
Last edited by deadderek on December 9th, 2019, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egon and Janine hooked up and had a kid, but Spengler couldn't focus on anything else but science so they drifted apart and Janine raised their daughter without him.

One of the original members maintains the firehouse... There's a laser containment grid in the basement housing countless ghosts. The city has a vested interest in paying someone to maintain that, since we've seen what happens when it's shut down.
By XenuPrime
Scum wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:05 pm Spent the whole day at work building up this moment in my head, showing my 3 year old son the trailer. The whole ride home we talked and laughed about how much we love Ghostbusters and can’t wait for the new movie and the new toys. We settle in, sit on the couch our faces filled with glee.

Finally watching the trailer on a big screen tv it hits me, I try holding back my tears but the Venkman voiceover pushes me over the edge. The trailer ends, I wipe my tears and look over at my son, who looks visibly upset. I say “What did you think?” His only response, “Where’s Ray!?!”

:walterpeck:
Alol, amost the same experience here! Except my 3 year old daughter said "where's Slimer and Marshmallow Man!?"
Sav C, deadderek, Scum liked this
By Sav C
The part of the trailer where they say there haven't been any ghosts in thirty years, and then the PKE Meter lights up, gave me chills. I hope the Giga Meter returns.
droidguy1119 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:00 amYeah, this is getting a decidedly mixed-negative reaction on Film Twitter. They are complaining about the faux-Spielberg reverence this has for the original and think it should look funnier. Director's jail comments coming up for Jason too.spectacle-heavy.
To the best of my knowledge (and I do admit this is hearsay to some degree), Twitter's algorithm for comment ranking is designed to portray every debate as if there are two equal sides, in order to spur controversy (since controversy drives clicks, and hence, revenue). Therefore, even if four fifths of the comments were positive, it would make it look as if half were negative, in order to get more people to chime in.
groschopf, back liked this
By mrmichaelt
ghoulishfright wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:05 pm It's clearly from the take seen in the final cut of GB1, although they tinkered with it for timing and score.
Sav C wrote: December 9th, 2019, 8:06 pm I think they definitely spliced it so that the pauses in-between phrases were more drawn to fit better with the pacing of the trailer.
Thanks, ghoulishfright and Sav C.
Sav C liked this
By groschopf
Sav C wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:11 pm To the best of my knowledge (and I do admit this is hearsay to some degree), Twitter's algorithm for comment ranking is designed to portray every debate as if there are two equal sides, in order to spur controversy...
Yup. Basically, Twitter is the Jerry Springer show, and we're all the guests fighting on stage thanks to real differences and manufactured catalysts. Both feature real people, but they also amplify our conflicts to get viewers and clicks.
Sav C liked this
Sav C wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:11 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:00 amYeah, this is getting a decidedly mixed-negative reaction on Film Twitter. They are complaining about the faux-Spielberg reverence this has for the original and think it should look funnier. Director's jail comments coming up for Jason too.spectacle-heavy.
To the best of my knowledge (and I do admit this is hearsay to some degree), Twitter's algorithm for comment ranking is designed to portray every debate as if there are two equal sides, in order to spur controversy (since controversy drives clicks, and hence, revenue). Therefore, even if four fifths of the comments were positive, it would make it look as if half were negative, in order to get more people to chime in.
I dunno where you heard that, but it's nonsense.
SSJmole liked this
By groschopf
Rudd is wearing the same outfit in these screenshots as he is when he's holding the trap in the school room scene.

So... his telling the kids what it is and something either arriving or getting let loose from a trap happen on the same day?

By SpaceBallz
Yes!

I think this first trailer is letting everyone know what the film story is about and to tell us its different. The 2nd trailer will be the fun one with more fx shots and the gb theme I'll theorize.
By SSJmole
groschopf wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:42 pm Rudd is wearing the same outfit in these screenshots as he is when he's holding the trap in the school room scene.

So... his telling the kids what it is and something either arriving or getting let loose from a trap happen on the same day?

Or the idea of a teacher getting paid enough to buy 2 shirts is too over the top and unrealistic for a series that had a giant marshmallow man , ghosts and evil paintings 😂
Sav C, groschopf, back and 2 others liked this
By Sav C
I wear the same shirts all the time.
droidguy1119 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:22 pm
Sav C wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:11 pm
I dunno where you heard that, but it's nonsense.
While I'm at risk of misattributing a source, I feel like I remember part of it being covered in "The Facebook Dilemma."
groschopf liked this
By groschopf
halliwax wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:12 pm Looks like the ecto gets its windshield smashed too :(
I think that's just dust wiped off of the windshield making it look like that. You can see how the windshield wipers made patterns when they turn the first corner.

They might have just wiped more dust off the glass so the driver could see what they were doing when executing that last maneuver.
By GBfan_CH
outatimeecto wrote: December 9th, 2019, 7:17 pm Here is the Euro trailer in English. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgQENM7KfyQ
“Oh my gosh. That is the best thing I’ve ever seen!”

Nice to see a little humour at the back end of the euro trailer. Also nailed the sound effect. Still ideally need to rebalance that purple on the stream though.
back liked this
By tylergfoster
Sav C wrote: December 9th, 2019, 10:02 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:22 pm I dunno where you heard that, but it's nonsense.
While I'm at risk of misattributing a source, I feel like I remember part of it being covered in "The Facebook Dilemma."
How can an algorithm figure that out? How does an algorithm interpret sarcasm? How does the algorithm understand subjects that are indicated through extremely vague signifiers (such as a reaction that never used "Ghostbusters" in it)? How does it understand a "subject" at all (how does it know there's [a Ghostbusters movie trailer] and how to parse what constitutes [one opinion] versus [another])?

How does this change when you're only looking at either a) the people I follow and b) the chronological Twitter search tab that just shows you every unlocked Tweet from oldest to newest?

I don't think this makes sense.
Harry Bardwell wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:49 pm Something that bugs me though is given the mom's age Egon would have already had a family during the first GB film or soon there after, and it hasn't been mentioned at all. none of that feels very Egon at all to me, but I shall wait and see what the film holds before making any major judgements.
Agreed the age does raise a few questions. I have 2 ideas.

1) The movie is set slightly in the future in the year 2027 (100 yr anniversary of the mine) making the small town setting intentional so they could depict less tech or conveniences from that time. This would let the story go back and forth between the OG team's preparation in the present or near past for an event they may not be alive for and the kids finding the remains in their time. Gives the original cast adequate screen time via flashback and gets the spiritual passing of the torch moment for the 3rd act. Also allows for a family to be started in the 90s after GB2, a kid born in '92 would be 35 by 2027, parents would be around 19 when son was born.

2) If the movie takes place in 2020 then the kids could be Venkman's family. The line in the trailer: "pick through the rubble of his life" could be allude to Peter. It's not inconceivable that he could have knocked someone up at the height of their popularity and not know about it - OR - Oscar is the kids' father with Oscar seeing Peter as a father figure if he and Dana did get back together after GB2.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]