Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Kingpin
groschopf wrote: November 13th, 2019, 10:55 am (edit: no word yet one whether or not this display is to promote the new film or Sony in general. It's certainly a familiar angle we're seeing the car from for the purposes of the 2020 film, but we'll see what this is all about)
My guess would be that given the car's parked in a general suggestion of the Firehouse, and isn't covered in dirt, it's just there to promote Sony's brands - with the visible signage for Into the Spider-Verse, Playstation, and Sony Music supporting that conclusion.
pizzarat wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:51 amI mean, 1A has a completely different gas-cap location and different bumpers (but that's for another thread).
Agreed on the bumper, but the gas cap on Ecto-1A is in the same position as on Ecto-1.
pizzarat wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:51 amIf the company doesn't exist anymore it's going to be an awkward stretch for all the original characters to not only appear, but be involved with the story.
Unless there's an IT: Chapter Two/Back In the Saddle-style event which draws the surviving Ghostbusters to Summerville. And supporting characters like Janine or Dana could be featured in scenes either showing the Ghostbusters heading out to Oklahoma, or after the big bad has been defeated, and the survivors then decide to get the company up and running again.
pizzarat wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:51 ambut does it really need to go so far as to have (strangely) the plates from 1984 on it?
Agreed, it didn't... But we don't know what happened to the car after 1989 (or 1992). I suppose one spitball would be to say they finally retired Ecto-1A from service, and returned her to her 1984 appearance (including historic plates) for a museum attraction that eventually went bust.
pizzarat wrote: November 13th, 2019, 11:51 amThe leaked plot has to have some truth to it as it was published before anyone knew anything about the Shandor mining company. If it is true, and the company still exists, there's an easy explanation for 1A not being in the barn.
Well, apart from the other easy explanation that the car formerly known as Ecto-1A is in the barn...
Corey91 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm I did find it interesting that they said "on location" as the only location in LA that came to mind was firehouse 23...
ShiftyHenry wrote: November 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm I've been hoping they secretly refurbished the inside to shoot there. I figure since Jason is leaning into nostalgia enough to dig up old fonts at Columbia...shooting at the same iconic location would be a given....but that place still looks very terrible.
Unfortunately I can say with reasonable certainty that any Los Angeles filming won't be using Firestation 23. A fan by the name of Couture visited LA23 just before Halloween, where it was still closed for the ongoing renovation work, but he was able to get a quick glance through an open door:
Couture wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:56 amIt still looks more or less how it was, albeit now missing the uniform closets. They told me they're in the process of catologing and removing things from the building prior to the actual rennovation starting (a long process because it's a landmark building), and they were hauling out junk to throw away.
By Scum
groschopf wrote: November 14th, 2019, 11:17 am
JonXCTrack wrote: November 14th, 2019, 10:18 am

That's not true. The Reddit post specifically states that the Ecto-1 and the equipment is modified to make it easier to chase down smaller ghosts.

It IS true. Permit me to bore the tits off of everyone by explaining why.

Modifying equipment to chase down smaller ghosts isn't the same actually tearing through the town on a chase, in which property is damaged and it appears they come up against the sheriff. That sounds like a major scene and an opportunity to set up an antagonist in the local law enforcement, who we know has been cast. No mention of that. It sounds similar, but it's not the same. If that person actually had insider knowledge, they would have mentioned a CAR CHASE, not making it easier to chase ghosts.

They reference the Ecto-1 in the "leak", but that's been a safe bet since the teaser trailer last year. You know... the one where someone is obviously tinkering with the equipment in the barn? Not hard to build a talking point around that.

Furthermore, the "leaked" bit keeps calling new people by their acting names, not character names -- "Coon's character," "Grace," "Wolfhard," etc -- but doesn't tell us what they're called in the story. That's a huge tell. So to is the final line of that "leak": "She and Wolfhard's character do something to officially close the portal." Sounds informative until you examine how meaningless that "do something" part is.

Why go to the trouble of violating an NDA and share all of that other information if it can't also tell us stuff only the filmmakers would know? Because they're non-verifiable claims at this point. It sounds plausible based on what we know.

They're claims that can be created based on speculation, knowledge of the franchise and leaked photos, and lack anything specific that can be verified once we know more about the final film. That person obviously didn't know something as fundamental as a first name of a new character.

Skip the "it was an overview"rejoinder argument, because that thing was six paragraphs trying very hard to be specific in non-specific ways. I'm not buying it, and everyone should be skeptical of until something more concrete backs it up. Stop working backward from a conclusion.
Perhaps the poster left out just enough information as to not violate his/her NDA? Only time will tell I guess.

I feel like this forum is going to explode if we don’t get something soon though lol.
By Kingpin
Scum wrote: November 14th, 2019, 12:41 pmPerhaps the poster left out just enough information as to not violate his/her NDA? Only time will tell I guess.
Maybe, but to put it less politely than groschopf has been putting it, the Reddit poster could also just be pulling his "plot" out of his arse.

Though I still prefer that one to the "frequency one".
tylergfoster, robbritton, Scum and 3 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: November 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm I'll repeat: it wasn't a leak. The Reddit user said that he was making an assumption, it was a theory based on things he saw online like us. It was a declared fan made storyline. A really good one.

So good that other users started saying "it is too good to not be the real plot".
The one I read did not imply it was an assumption at all. It was titled "Supposed Plot Leak *Spoilers* Obviously" That was the same one that ShiftyHenry posted. I don't know if that person had reposted it from someone's original assumption, but the Reddit link I saw definitely made no mention of any assumption and was presented as a plot leak.
pizzarat liked this
By Corey91
Okay so bad news on the possible set visit...my boss went and met with the crew of Rust City and they all told him that they wrapped weeks ago and are done shooting. My boss thought this new show they are working on was also rust city but was mistaken unfortunately.

So they are not shooting in LA or anywhere as of now. If/when reshoots happen, they wouldn't be for another few months.

Sorry to get everyones hopes up!!!
By Corey91
Doctor Venkman wrote: November 14th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Davideverona wrote: November 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm I'll repeat: it wasn't a leak. The Reddit user said that he was making an assumption, it was a theory based on things he saw online like us. It was a declared fan made storyline. A really good one.

So good that other users started saying "it is too good to not be the real plot".
The one I read did not imply it was an assumption at all. It was titled "Supposed Plot Leak *Spoilers* Obviously" That was the same one that ShiftyHenry posted. I don't know if that person had reposted it from someone's original assumption, but the Reddit link I saw definitely made no mention of any assumption and was presented as a plot leak.

Gotta clear this up: the reddit one was not presented as a leak. it was taken from this predictions thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... edictions/
It was the now deleted comment with two child comments still under it. The poster never said it was leak, just literally what was copied and pasted in here a few comments ago.
Alphagaia liked this
By ShiftyHenry

I don't recall seeing anything stating it was someones guess...but that it was presented as a leak. I saved it a long time ago now, so it's a bit fuzzy. Grain of salt obviously, but...with the images that came out and the time frame of those leaks...who knows. It's careless to blindly believe it, but the same can be said for dismissing it outright as well.
Doctor Venkman liked this
Corey91 wrote: November 14th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Gotta clear this up: the reddit one was not presented as a leak. it was taken from this predictions thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... edictions/
It was the now deleted comment with two child comments still under it. The poster never said it was leak, just literally what was copied and pasted in here a few comments ago.
Gotta clear this up... it WAS presented as a leak.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... obviously/

That’s where I originally saw it. Now your point about it having been posted somewhere else before may be valid but the point is there are plenty of people who have read it from this link and aren’t lying when they say it was presented as a plot leak.
By Corey91
Doctor Venkman wrote: Gotta clear this up... it WAS presented as a leak.

That’s where I originally saw it. Now your point about it having been posted somewhere else before may be valid but the point is there are plenty of people who have read it from this link and aren’t lying when they say it was presented as a plot leak.
Yeah except I am talking about the original post which I linked to from 4 months ago. Yours is from 1 month ago. The original prediction was posted in the predictions thread. That's okay if you read a copy and paste in a leak thread, but it was originally posted as a prediction.
By JonXCTrack
groschopf wrote: November 14th, 2019, 11:17 am
JonXCTrack wrote: November 14th, 2019, 10:18 am

That's not true. The Reddit post specifically states that the Ecto-1 and the equipment is modified to make it easier to chase down smaller ghosts.

Modifying equipment to chase down smaller ghosts isn't the same actually tearing through the town on a chase, in which property is damaged and it appears they come up against the sheriff. That sounds like a major scene and an opportunity to set up an antagonist in the local law enforcement, who we know has been cast. No mention of that. It sounds similar, but it's not the same. If that person actually had insider knowledge, they would have mentioned a CAR CHASE, not making it easier to chase ghosts.

They reference the Ecto-1 in the "leak", but that's been a safe bet since the teaser trailer last year. You know... the one where someone is obviously tinkering with the equipment in the barn? Not hard to build a talking point around that.

Furthermore, the "leaked" bit keeps calling new people by their acting names, not character names -- "Coon's character," "Grace," "Wolfhard," etc -- but doesn't tell us what they're called in the story. That's a huge tell. So to is the final line of that "leak": "She and Wolfhard's character do something to officially close the portal." Sounds informative until you examine how meaningless that "do something" part is.

Why go to the trouble of violating an NDA and share all of that other information if it can't also tell us stuff only the filmmakers would know? Because they're non-verifiable claims at this point. It sounds plausible based on what we know.

They're claims that can be created based on speculation, knowledge of the franchise and leaked photos, and lack anything specific that can be verified once we know more about the final film. That person obviously didn't know something as fundamental as a first name of a new character.

Skip the "it was an overview"rejoinder argument, because that thing was six paragraphs trying very hard to be specific in non-specific ways. I'm not buying it, and everyone should be skeptical of until something more concrete backs it up. Stop working backward from a conclusion.
LOL! Yeah, the fact that the reddit poster doesn’t use the phrase “car chase” and just says “chase” absolutely is conclusive proof that it couldn’t be real! They must have just modified the Ecto-1 to include a new hood ornament. That must have been what the author meant! And don’t you dare say this was an overview or rough outline! Anything short of a full script signed by Jason Reitman himself couldn’t possibly be real!
Last edited by Kingpin on November 15th, 2019, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quoted text
Corey91 wrote: November 14th, 2019, 4:33 pm
Doctor Venkman wrote: Gotta clear this up... it WAS presented as a leak.

Yeah except I am talking about the original post which I linked to from 4 months ago. Yours is from 1 month ago. The original prediction was posted in the predictions thread. That's okay if you read a copy and paste in a leak thread, but it was originally posted as a prediction.
I understand that. My point is simply that people aren’t lying when they say it was presented as a plot leak. I appreciate you clearing up that it was a prediction originally. I was just clearing up that people aren’t calling THAT original prediction a leak. They’re calling the newly (and incorrectly copied) link a leak.
Adam Savage just posted a picture of himself with Jason Reitman, saying:

I had a LOVELY visit with my friend Jason Reitman yesterday. We talked about some really cool stuff.

That follows yesterday’s post by Jason talking about his visit with Adam saying:

...but wait til you see what he was making.

Could be GB20 related, but might not be. Count me curious though.
By ghostfan003
Hairy Biker wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:45 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Did you see Savage's pack and suit? Its abysmal considering his attention to detail.

https://youtu.be/SLMVkgkfX8U

He's currently doing a whole new rebuild.
Where did you see this about his rebuild? My brother sold some legris elbow resin casts to Adam Savage’s associate Ryan Kiser recently. We’re excited about it and can’t find anything on the new build yet.
By Coover5
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE (to change the subject)

What have you guys been doing differently in your Ghostbusters fandom since the 3rd film was announced/ completed filming?

I've been watching the original two films a lot more than I normally do just to enjoy them a few more times like I did since childhood. Being born in 1989 the Ghostbusters cinematic history has always been 2 films. I'm excited for a 3rd but I'm also sorry to see the change.

I'm trying to nab as many '84 and '89 collectibles out there before the wave of GB3 stuff.

But I'm also being a little more frugal. I have a feeling we could see a toy line that rivals Kenner and I want to be ready for it.
pizzarat liked this
By pizzarat
Coover5 wrote: November 14th, 2019, 9:19 pm QUESTION FOR EVERYONE (to change the subject)

What have you guys been doing differently in your Ghostbusters fandom since the 3rd film was announced/ completed filming?

I've been watching the original two films a lot more than I normally do just to enjoy them a few more times like I did since childhood. Being born in 1989 the Ghostbusters cinematic history has always been 2 films. I'm excited for a 3rd but I'm also sorry to see the change.

I'm trying to nab as many '84 and '89 collectibles out there before the wave of GB3 stuff.

But I'm also being a little more frugal. I have a feeling we could see a toy line that rivals Kenner and I want to be ready for it.
Well, I spent thousands of dollars to go to that Fan Fest in June. Paid for the Class 10 package... what a rip-off.
By timeware
I think were going over board on the reddit leaks. That being said it wasn't a boring explanation but I now no longer have man boobs and a six pack of abs. I mean, six pack of beer.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By deadderek
Funny it's brought up...around March I'm saving up/putting $ aside for the new wave of merchandise. I don't plan on missing out.

Also no doubt we'll get another wave of classic stuff as well.

Exciting times ahead!
By Kingpin
Corey91 wrote: November 14th, 2019, 2:53 pm Okay so bad news on the possible set visit...my boss went and met with the crew of Rust City and they all told him that they wrapped weeks ago and are done shooting. My boss thought this new show they are working on was also rust city but was mistaken unfortunately.
Sorry to hear it didn't come together, but thanks for trying anyway, Corey. :)
Corey91 liked this
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: November 15th, 2019, 6:39 amhttps://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... _spoilers/

I'll leave this here.
I don't see a spoiler in there...
By tylergfoster
pizzarat wrote: November 14th, 2019, 9:24 pm
Coover5 wrote: November 14th, 2019, 9:19 pm QUESTION FOR EVERYONE (to change the subject)

Well, I spent thousands of dollars to go to that Fan Fest in June. Paid for the Class 10 package... what a rip-off.
I got the one down and they ended up giving me so much of my money back it barely cost anything.
By JonXCTrack
deadderek wrote:
While we all could safely assume that Slimer would be seen in the movie in some capacity, this leans a bit towards confirming his appearance. I don't understand why any effects artists wouldn't be getting credit. I'd be pissed, too, if I were them.
By ShiftyHenry

The announcement of the new film and I guess the upcoming Fan Fest led to my partner and I creating a Ghostbusters autograph collector group on Facebook earlier this year. Our community is around 350 strong and we've been working to help other collectors build their GB autograph collection in a safe environment; bringing rare names to the table by way of private signings. It's been fun to talk about the new movie, try to collect it, but most importantly share our tiny weird hobby with other like minded folks.

Beyond that, I've just been driving everyone crazy talking about GB3 all the time.
tylergfoster liked this
By ShiftyHenry
JonXCTrack wrote: November 15th, 2019, 8:39 am
deadderek wrote:
While we all could safely assume that Slimer would be seen in the movie in some capacity, this leans a bit towards confirming his appearance. I don't understand why any effects artists wouldn't be getting credit. I'd be pissed, too, if I were them.
The same thing happened on the first film. Sadly, this isn't a new development. Richard Edlund actually took an add out in one of the trades to publicly credit a bunch of SFX people that Columbia left off the film credits. I haven't been able to find a copy of this add but someone who had a large contribution behind the scenes (but was left out) told the story to me a few months ago. It's a shame really.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]