Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Coover5
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: February 18th, 2019, 11:02 pm \If people are not using smart phones it would be quite noticeable as literally everyone has one today and uses it to take photos and videos.
I have no problem with phones being used as phones but I personally don't see them as part of the Busters equipment. I think the same tech might be used like touch screens but phones themselves are unlikely. And I don't see voice activation being an option. As much effort as it took to step on a trap pedal they still removed them when a ghost was caught as a precaution. Not a lot of safety options against voice activation. But I do think other tech might be voice activated like a hands free pke meter.

The ending to Ghostbusters was pretty action packed for its time but it's so tame now. I'm very interested to see how they handle the ending of GB20.

On another matter I realized what equipment I want to see in GB20. The original proton packs. I'm talking plug into a wall with wands strapped to your wrist proton packs. I wouldn't want them as the new proton packs but as some sort of equipment even as a cameo of failed equipment.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Coover5 wrote: February 18th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Alphagaia wrote: February 18th, 2019, 1:10 pm
True that. There will always be one person to take care of the trap. Upside is that person isn't a sitting duck while he operates the trap as he can move around. Hell, they could even make it that it works remotely and via a foot pedal for maximum efficiency depending on the (amount of) ghosts they are facing.
I have had so many ideas for the traps but I've found that so many of them don't work. We know there is a ghost sensor in the trap but what about one out of the trap? It would follow the ghosts in the room so instead of trying to get ghosts to the trap the trap goes to the ghosts. But it would tip over so easily. That's even an issue with nice high tech equipment. I considered drone additions to the trap but then that ups the quality of person who can use the equipment. Not everyone can fly a drone. I thought about a version of the trap that would be worn on the body but that's dangerous especially when you have the ghosts fighting their way out or rather resisting going in.

I'm not against change but it's very hard to find change that works. It's nothing against you. Heck I'm not even a real fan of the in canon trap upgrade: the tripod trap. It seemed overly complicated. I loved the look of the prop though.
So far every movie introduced something new equipment-wise, and we had Dan at cons saying how old and subpar the original trap is compared to the one they have designed for the new movie.

I know he is just flufftalking and he has been talking about GB3 for yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars, but I would not be surprised if they have to update the old stuff.
We clearly hear a proton pack having a hard time starting up in the trailer, so we know there is tinkering involved.
Coover5, Sav C liked this
By Coover5
With the GB3 he had in mind there were a ton of Ectos, hundreds of Ghostbusters at dozen of franchises. I bet there would have been 3 or 4 versions of every piece of equipment in use. Honestly, if Jason Reitman wasn't cowriting and directing this I think this thread would have been a fraction of its already 38 page length because Aykroyd shared so much of what he wanted to do that we all would know what to expect and there'd be little discussion but now it's all up in the air. For all we know the proton pack struggling in the teaser is the 10th generation proton pack which looks totally different. it's unlikely but like I said anything goes now.
By Wiggyof9
Alphagaia wrote: February 18th, 2019, 11:51 pm
We clearly hear a proton pack having a hard time starting up in the trailer, so we know there is tinkering involved.
The more I watch it the more I think the teaser needs to be taken less literally. We hear the equipment trying to start up and sparking and then the reveal of the Ecto-1 and then we hear the equipment turn on with Summer 2020 lighting up. I don't think it is necessarily a sign that the equipment is broken down and non-functional as much as it was a metaphor for how they have tried to start up GB3 for decades now and it never got off the ground but this time it's coming back.

We could have this all wrong and the entire teaser was just a big metaphor that means nothing in terms of the actual movie. Maybe the teaser should not be taken so literally.
Last edited by Wiggyof9 on February 19th, 2019, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
By Coover5
It's a hint of the movie and not a metaphor for sure. One of the keys to it is what they change and what they don't change. it's a new location. If it was just a "We're back!" teaser it would be the firehouse for sure. Another point is the teaser took a lot of effort. There's a set, a car, sound effects, special effects etc. All they needed to do was tease the car by showing its plate. it would have been much faster and much easier to do and it would have gotten just as much excitement. Also, you don't do a tease and deliver something so different. A teaser itself is a taste of the film. That's the purpose it serves.
By timeware
I know I said that Id keep a clear & open mind to all this, I acknowledge that it isnt 1984 anymore and technology advances, but seriously? Really? How F&#*ing Lazy do these new Busters need to be to Require a smart phone app to operate a stomp-pedal and partial thrower??
Did you ever see that get active commercial with Winston and his grandmother? Seriously, that lazy sh*t's using the treadmill to walk the freaking dog like he's George freaking Jetson. That is how lazy we've become since the 80's. All were missing is moving sidewalks and flying cars.
By Coover5
Davideverona wrote: February 19th, 2019, 12:29 amhttp://billburr.com/monday-morning-podcast-2-18-19/

Jason talking about Ghostbusters. Can somebody transcripts what he's saying?
That was a very interesting interview. What raises a lot of questions for me is that Jason Reitman cowrote the film with Gil Kenan. Apparently they handed in the first draft and it got the greenlight. So Aykroyd hasn't touched the script at all. Aykroyd's the tech guy so I bet if he hasn't consulted we're getting all the old stuff because the equipment only advanced because Aykroyd wanted it to. Excited though because Kenan directed the Poltergeist remake and for me it has a great feeling especially for a GB film.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
He starts talking about it around 59:00 minutes.
Most of it before it is about Front Runner, a movie about politics, which the host was in.

He starts talking that he at first didn't want to do a Ghostbusters movie, didn't want to be like his dad.

They are talking about how many kids took over from his dad in the movie business. They mention Adam Driver, the Coppola's.

How big and different is a franchise movie? Jason says there is no time, they have to hurry, and they greenlight the first draft, which he didn't expect. There is short runway, it will take a few months shooting, and it's his first movie with big effects and he has to work together with effect houses, but he sounds confident.

Did you ever miss a shot in movie? He mentions, yes, every time. It's a haunting time. It helps if you have actors that know where the camera is going to be, one that follows all the rules, and one that is going of the rails. So that shots are made that you didn't even think of.

The art of lenses and what kind of emotional impact each has, together with the words, light choosen, etc.

Is it loyal to the look and vibe of the previous, or will it also have your touch. He jokingly says it won't be his Juno Ghostbusters, and how he didn't earn anything on Juno. He loves GB, consideres himself the first GB fan I(we heard this all before) and wants this to be a love letter for the fans. The teaser is full of homages to the original, and he alludes to want to do the effects as if the movie is made in the 80's, like he did with the letters in the teaser.

He seems like a very likable guy.
By Alphagaia
I wonder if he has written an original story himself, or had it pitched by Sony, which he worked out, together with the Poltergeist guy, or that he passed on along that script for Jason to enhance.

They had quite some years of script s to cherry pick ideas of.
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 19th, 2019, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By Coover5
He has said in interviews he wasn't interested in GB but what changed his mind is he felt he had his own angle which since he cowrote it I assume mean he at least co-originated the story. And by his own angle it means a story fitting into the GB world as we know it and not a remake.
By philmorgan81
Coover5 wrote: February 19th, 2019, 1:13 am It may have been entirely lip-service to the fans but what he said about Ghostbusters 3 has me grinning from ear to ear.

LOL! He actually gave verbal confirmation that this film was going to be a love letter to Ghostbusters Fans. That's good enough for me. :):):)

I also love how he states that it won't be like his other work. There will be set pieces and effects. There also trying to shoot the film as much as they can with classic techniques. My excitment continues to grow. Ghostbusters 3, The 35th Anniversary Comic event and GB/Transformers Crossover. I am going to need to be tranquillized in order to calm down. :):):)
By Davideverona
Though Sony has been clever giving the green light to GB3, I can't stop keep wondering how Feig is feeling, as an artist and as a human being.

When he was working on his movie Sony was all gung-ho about making sequels, treating him as the franchise saviour, a genius who succeeded where even Ivan Reitman failed.

Now? Aykroyd grinned about him not being welcome on the Sony lot, even the sites who adored ATC admit it was a flop. I'd really like to know what he thinks about all this.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By mrmichaelt
Here's the three major Ghostbusters parts transcribed

1:02:32-1:03:04
Honestly, the crazy thing is we have no time. I--we--so I wrote the film in secret with my writing partner Gil Kenan. We wrote it over the last year while we were finishing up "(The) Front Runner". And we turned it in in December. And I have to admit my presumption was it was going to be any other studio film I heard about where there's years of rewrites and they grind it into the ground and it never happens. I was kind of fully prepared for this year to be a little taking time off and doing rewrites on Ghostbusters and instead the studio read the first draft and said 'Yeah, go make it.'

1:10:52-:1:11:10
This is going to be a love letter to Ghostbusters. I, um, I love this franchise. I grew up watching it. I consider myself the first Ghostbusters fan. I was like 7 years old when that movie came out and, uh, love it and I want to make a movie for my fellow Ghostbusters fans. So it's a 100% love letter.

1:11:12-1:11:56
Like we just did this teaser for it that we launched when we announced it. And even in that we went back to the work files for the sound of the Proton Pack and we went back to the stems of Elmer Bernstein's score. Uh, for just for when it says at the end of the teaser, it's says like Summer 2020. We went back and found the original physical vinyl letters they used to make the Ghostbusters poster in 1984, rescanned them, then, uh, our titles guys reprinted them and we filmed the titles, not like in a computer, we shot physical titles with light and smoke effect because that's how they would have done it back in the say so we are in every way trying to go back to the original technique and make a -- hand the movie back to the fans.
Coover5, back, Davideverona and 4 others liked this
By back
Ghostbusters Opening day in theaters, Audiences were greeted by horrors, scares & a bitchin soundtrack with This visual:
Can it be topped? ...Its supposed to be for the fans, after all ;-) lol
RichRyan1507 liked this
By philmorgan81
Oh I am sure what ever comes to be it will exceed my expectations. I need look no further than the 2009 Video Game as an example. I knew I would enjoy it, but had absolutely no idea just how much fun both the Gameplay and the story were going to be. It really didn't feel like just another game based on a popular IP, it felt like a true Love Letter to fans and if we can expect the same kind of love and care being put into this movie I think we will see something very special. :):):).
deadderek, RichRyan1507, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
Davideverona wrote: February 19th, 2019, 2:32 am Though Sony has been clever giving the green light to GB3, I can't stop keep wondering how Feig is feeling, as an artist and as a human being.

When he was working on his movie Sony was all gung-ho about making sequels, treating him as the franchise saviour, a genius who succeeded where even Ivan Reitman failed.

Now? Aykroyd grinned about him not being welcome on the Sony lot, even the sites who adored ATC admit it was a flop. I'd really like to know what he thinks about all this.

Who cares what he thinks? He had his shot at it, and failed miserably.
savintheday, deadderek, back liked this
By Alphagaia
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 19th, 2019, 8:10 am
Davideverona wrote: February 19th, 2019, 2:32 am Though Sony has been clever giving the green light to GB3, I can't stop keep wondering how Feig is feeling, as an artist and as a human being.

No need to be that harsh. The guy was super nice to any GBfan that approached him and he and his crew got viciously attacked (or worse) for making something other people didn't like or even hated on default, but he believed in. At the time no one knew what a perfect storm the reboot would amass, and he generally wanted to do the best he could, and a reboot seemed the best way.

To this day, even Reitman and Dan talks positive about the movie, only that it costed to much. Again, let's keep it friendly.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By RichRyan1507
Alphagaia wrote: February 19th, 2019, 10:14 am
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 19th, 2019, 8:10 am

No need to be that harsh. The guy was super nice to any GBfan that approached him and he and his crew got viciously attacked (or worse) for making something other people didn't like or even hated on default, but he believed in. At the time no one knew what a perfect storm the reboot would amass, and he generally wanted to do the best he could, and a reboot seemed the best way.

To this day, even Reitman and Dan talks positive about the movie, only that it costed to much. Again, let's keep it friendly.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his being a nice guy doesn't make his work on 2016 good. Every decision made on that film was poor judgement, IMO.

I treat Luke Bryan's music the same way. I appreciate him as a person, but can't stand his music or voice. Lol

Also, I'd be shocked if Ivan and Dan were saying that for any other reason than they're forced to, or they just don't want to continue talking about it/hurt any feelings/burn bridges. Lol

And, again, sorry for getting off topic, but I'm only replying to other people taking about the 2016 film.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]