Write a quick introduction to introduce yourself.
By QuartZ
Hello,

Honestly, I didn't have a better thread name so I apologize if that was dumb or if any of you read this and feel like my first post was click-bait. Anyway, my name is Dana and I've been building replicas of items from my favorite movies practically my whole life. Ghostbusters has always been one of my favorites. A few years ago I was visiting one of my friends in Colorado for Halloween when we met up Vince (Vincenzo330) whaddup bro! His garage had some sweet GB items in it and we spent a few hours talking video games and Ghostbusters. Long story short, it got me thinking about eventually building a proton pack.

Now I've built and collected some hardcore replica props in my time. Sourcing vintage original parts, cannibalizing rare out of print model kits, and painstakingly matching individual scuffs/weathering marks to capture the most authentic replicas possible. However, I'm in a different place these days with the hobby and I'm excited about building a replica pack with a focus on the feeling of authenticity over extreme accuracy. What do I mean? I'm still going to try to do my best to get as close as I can to what would look/feel like a screen used pack....but I'm not hell bent on having every component be the "real deal". Hell, I may not use any original parts. Who knows? I may change my mind. I'm flexible.

I'm also a 3D modeler. My career in video games has helped me in this area tremendously and I have a huge interest in how new tech and tools can change the way we make things in this hobby It has been eye opening in how I've approached making prop replicas in the past few years. I've become very comfortable with 3D printing and I'm really excited about finding ways to make props using these new techniques. Which leads me to why I'm signing up for this forum now.

Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a 3D proton pack in Autodesk Fusion 360 that I intend to use as to build a pack that can be mostly 3D printed. I say mostly because I think I'll send the motherboard file off to a shop to have cut out of aluminum with a waterjet but I hope to start with a shell that is printed, assembled, sanded/filled, textured, and finally painted that from the outside is indistinguishable from a fiberglass pull. In no way am I trying to say that that this creates a better replica. As I mentioned earlier, I've been obsessed with the quest to build things as they were built by the original prop makers using the exact materials. However, I recognize that most fans can't afford or even find some of these components. So I'm challenging myself to build a pack that would satisfy MY OCD while doing it in a way that may be more accessible to others in the future.

Here's a tease of what I'm doing. Credit up front - I've based this work off of Stefan's plans, cross referenced with Sean's plans, modified by threads on GBFans that point out issues with those plans, and finally using some of my personal judgment/taste when reviewing photo reference of the hero Spengler pack, and Sony lobby packs. I couldn't have done this without THIS community meaning ALL OF YOU! These are a work in progress, some parts are missing! I'll probably start a proper post soon to collect feedback before I start printing test parts:

I'm even trying to faithfully capture small hard-to-find bits like the Legris elbows:

Whew! Anyway, I am looking forward to the feedback, guidance, and critical eye that only the gurus of this community could provide and I hope to be able to give something back to show my appreciation for how awesome this group is.

Thanks,
-Dana
Kingpin liked this
By QuartZ
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the warm welcome.
NotSabbat wrote:As someone that has also made a 3d model to print; Your pack is looking pretty on point.
I just looked over your thread. Looks like you had a fun build.

-Dana

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]