By hutto
I nabbed a new pack, and trap 50% off Thursday. Thought I would start a thread to hold myself accountable to progress, and bug you all for advice.

long winds ahead...

Ive seen a couple of people just paint up the pack in toon colors but, I am not a fan. I'm well aware that I won't get a 100% accuracy but, I would like something similar.

Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.

First draft of ideas are:

1) New thrower

I cannot find a project box that I would like to use for the main body. Based on my quick measurements, the box where the wand mounts is 3.5 x 3.5-4in. I have to account for the side rails to slide over the box. I have searched everywhere and haven't found any vague dimensions to scale this to. Ill probably just use a V-clip.

I dont really want to scratch build a box.

2) Replace booster with red PVC, use a small funnel, and run a tube over the existing fitting where the big green tube goes.

The top part of the booster screws off but, the frame is still moulded into the body. I had thought about just painting that red but, I want to replace the top part with a box.

I could possibly cut out some PVC pipe, and fit it over but, the PPD would be in the way. I might even keep the PPD and run the funnel under it. I could also cut out the frame.

3) Remove Clippard on pack. Repace with arcade button.

Enough said.

4) Mounts for the trap

The trap at full size, is huge in relation to this pack. Ill get this pack finished before I dive off into that massive project.

5) Cut out a piece of PVC to cover the box with the big "Warning" label over it. Obviously in banana yellow.

seems easy enough.

6) Remove crank on generator. Replace with voltage meter (if I can find one proportionate)

If anyone knows of a small one, point me to it.

7) Make Ion Arm bigger, width wise. Replacing where the top of the booster screws off with a box.

I figure I can find an electrical box at lowes to do this, epoxy it to the arm, and hide the evidence with Bondo.

8) I want to figure something out about the bottom half of the Cyclotron.

I currently have no solutions.

Ill keep a bunch of the pack as, I don't want to ruin the structure of it. The V2 seems a bit inferior to the first version I have. I like that most of the fittings are screwed in, without being murdered by poorly applied superglue.

The injectors will stay, I will remove the top half of the N-filter, ribbon cable will go, and I think the HGA might stay or, be covered.

I also be using an aluminum motherboard. Keeping the existing straps is fine but, ill be adding a seatbelt for the waist.
A huge relief from having to mount the thing to an ALICE.

Stay tuned!
NickFame13 liked this
By ghostengineer
Hi there I have a spare spirit pack that I have thought about painting into RGB colors for the hell of it and I have toyed with the idea of maybe getting a Kenner wand and using that with the spirit pack and then adding the carrot on the stick at the end of the wand. That was an idea I floated around in my head for some time. Would be fun to do regardless of which direction I go.
Last edited by ghostengineer on November 5th, 2018, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickFame13 liked this
By hutto
ghostengineer wrote: November 4th, 2018, 1:17 pm Hi there I have a spare spirit pack that I have thought about painting into RGB colora for the hell of it and I have totes with the idea of maybe getting a Kenner wand and using that with the spirit pack and then adding the carrot on the stick at the end of the wand. That was an idea I floated around in my head for some time. Would be fun to do regardless of which direction I go.
I thought about using the Kenner stuff, too. The cost of the wand, and trap put me off, though.
By hutto
Started working on a wand. Ended up with a box from Home Depot that's 5.8x2.5x3 (rounded up).

It's too tall so, I'm gonna hit it up with my big sander. Using a metal cover plate on the bottom.

Length so far: 21in
Cost: $13

I hope to find some more rigid small PVC for the tube that connects to the tip. The stuff at HD was too soft.
8thMan liked this
By hutto
My progress slowed a bit.

I have some BUD aluminum boxes coming Thursday THEN, I'll finally start to work on the pack itself.

I couldnt find an appropriate switch for my wand. Settled on an ON/OFF that I had from Walmart. Its Red/Amber. It will do. I might paint it.

The cheapest blow gun tip that was a good size was $11 so, I built my own from a $2 1/4 harbor freight tip, and a bottle cap.

I have knobs, button and lights coming from China.

Nothing is glued together... just a mockup:

Anyone have experience with Plastidip spray paint? I'm pondering moulding the grips from epoxy, and coating them in that.

I had planned on cutting the side plates for the gun box from aluminum but, I have no clue if it want 1/8 or, 1/4". I would have a hard time getting good bands with 1/4.
Heatley2001 liked this
By hutto

Made a spacer.

Not going to remove much more from the body. This thing got real flimsy when I started cutting into it.

I talked to my mother, and her new job has a plasma cutter. Hoping to get my thrower sides and motherboard cut there for cheaps.
By hutto
I guess I'm gonna try it. Having a four light cyclotron would bug me forever.

Probably going to be more trouble than it's worth to cut to fit.
By hutto
The cyclotron was a failure.

I didnt want to spend $9 on PVC so, I made the yellow tank, and cleaned out my pantry at the same time.

Made from a Peanut Butter lid, plastic bottle, and a "no trespassing" sign. Going to coat it in bondo. Cut to fit.
Heatley2001 liked this
By hutto
Mikv wrote: December 12th, 2018, 4:16 am Awesome project!
Any news?
I'm very curious :D
Thanks and, nope. Weather wasn’t great for painting for a while and, my arcade button never showed up. Still gotta Bondo.

I plan on hitting it back up Tuesday. I’m about to order a button on Amazon.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]